PDA

View Full Version : McWalter itching for return to action

DmanDmythDledge
13/07/2007, 4:31 PM
From Irish Football Online (http://www.irishfootballonline.com/news_story.php?newsid=6916):

UCD received a huge boost on Tuesday night when midfielder Pat McWalter played his first game in nine months. The Wicklow man played the first half in a friendly against English side Stockport County at Belfield Park - a game that finished 1-1 with Conor Sammon scoring the UCD goal.

McWalter's last game was on 1st October 2006 when he limped out of a League Cup game in Derry. He suffered a cruciate ligament injury which kept him out of action until this week.

McWalter is delighted to finally be nearing a return to first team actions, "It was brilliant to be back. It's only when you are out of the game that you realise how much you miss playing".

He recognizes that he still needs some work outs before returning to the first team, "I still have a few weeks to go before I'm ready for first team action. I've the Under 21s game on Saturday and few more after that and then hopefully I'll be ready," he said. "I was happy enough. I thought I would be a lot less fit than I was but could have done with a few hard tackles all the same".

Although hopeful of a quick return, McWalter knows competition for places will mean it won't be easy to go straight back in, "The lads have been doing very well, especially Conan (Byrne) on the right but I'm going to give it my best shot".

UCD are scheduled to play Shamrock Rovers in a live televised game on Monday night.

Aberdonian Stu
13/07/2007, 5:49 PM
Yes that new media relations manager is doing a great job getting news out there.

pineapple stu
14/07/2007, 6:21 PM
Any chance said media relations manager would let the webmaster know about such things, given that said media relations manager was complaining to the webmaster about the site's content only last week? ;)

Aberdonian Stu
14/07/2007, 7:50 PM
I'm informed he's holding off on sending the longer version to the webmaster until the eircomLoi ezine is sent.

On elevenaside (http://elevenaside.com/eircomleague/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=28457) as well.