PDA

View Full Version : South Africa

theleprechaun
10/05/2007, 9:16 AM
i was just wondering is it safe? anybody been there? thinking of going but i do not want to come back in a body bag

kingdom hoop
10/05/2007, 10:39 AM
i was just wondering is it safe? anybody been there? thinking of going but i do not want to come back in a body bag

Are you Steve Staunton:p

For the most part there is no problem at all and I would unequivocally say 'go'.

You probably have more chance of being killed by a lion than a human; i.e extremely minuscule. Jo'burg is substantially more dangerous than anywhere else but its not really a tourist destination - big city, not much attraction so I'd say you won't spend time there.

Cape Town and all its surroundings are stupendous. People are really happy and nice, things are pretty cheap, the scenery is unbelievable, food and wine top drawer, accommodation standards pretty high and well secured, infrastructure (roads) are better than Ireland. There is really an awful lot to recommend it that you would have to be of severe nervous disposition to decide not to go because of fears for your safety.

If you go though don't be all wide-eyed and stupid, parts of it are third world, others first world. Expect that, I hate tourists who complain that the poverty really turned them off the place and things like that - it's reality. For example, the airport in Cape Town is surrounded by shanty towns that you fly over on your way in, don't let it affect you and go around 'oh I wonder if he lives in that shack I saw' and so on (this may be more appropriate for your significant other!!) The people really are some of the nicest and happiest I've come across, oh and they speak English too!! Hope that's alright for now, I'll answer more questions if I can.

endabob1
10/05/2007, 10:45 AM

My Mrs is from Cape Town and we lived over there for a year, obviouslly we still go over and back a lot so if you have any questions just PM me and I'll do my best to answer them.

As regards safety, I assume you're going to Cape Town and you are a relatively experienced traveller. Stick to the basics that you would apply in any big city, don't wander around like an American Tourist with a $2,000 camera hanging from your neck and you'll be fine, the main tourist spots are 100% safe. There is a lot of violence and crime in SA but it's mainly in the townships and House break ins, people do get mugged but as long as you're sensible you'll be fine. As I say I lived there for a year and have been here about a dozen or so times on holiday and never had any trouble.

theleprechaun
11/05/2007, 8:40 PM
cheers for that lads, closer to the date, if i have any more questions i will give you a shout.

pete
13/07/2007, 12:36 PM
Looks like will be going there next week. Short notice so I know nothing about. I should have a spare weekend...

Anyone been there? Any suggestions what to do or not do?

OneRedArmy
13/07/2007, 3:09 PM
Absolutely positively fly down to Cape Town for the weekend.

Probably the best city I've ever been in, great sights, nice hotels, Robben Island is fantastic, Cape Point is beautiful, Stellenbosch vineyards etc. etc.

Or else take a safari north of Jo'Burg, but I haven't done that so I can't give any advice.

I haven't been to Jo'Burg itself but from what I've heard its not up to much.

dfx-
13/07/2007, 3:32 PM
Definitely fly to Cape Town..unbelievable place, couldn't recommend it enough. A flight every hour every day from Johannesburg and back means there's no excuse:)

Stayed in Johannesburg for three days last year...stayed in Sandton, went to Soweto, was on a guided tour of the city centre, but really it's a dull, massive city. Maybe going to Pretoria/Tshwane would eke out another day :)

pete
13/07/2007, 8:15 PM
Definitely fly to Cape Town..unbelievable place, couldn't recommend it enough. A flight every hour every day from Johannesburg and back means there's no excuse...

Will investigate that alright if nothing else planned...

Looks like I will now be staying in Pretoria traveling to Sandton...

Thanks.

sligoman
13/07/2007, 11:44 PM
Can I have your job pete?

pete
14/07/2007, 10:48 AM
Can I have your job pete?

FIFA World Cup Stadium Inspector? ;)

endabob1
20/07/2007, 10:13 AM
Fly to Cape Town is a good option or as you're quite close to the Kruger look at spending a weekend in a lodge in the Game Park.
If you're going to Cape Town, drop me a PM I lived over there for a year, my wife is from there and we go over regularly so I can recomend some places.

pete
28/07/2007, 3:51 PM
Stayed in Pretoria but spent most of my time in Jo'borg.

Don't know if I can offer much advice to anyone else as because of the short notice I did not get out of the City so a few things...

- A car is mandatory
- Accommodation & Food is 1/2 price of Ireland.
- Drink 1/3 price :cool:
- Suburbs are very American in layout of roads & facilities.
- Crime is fairly apparently as I was advised not to walk anywhere in City areas but posher suburbs different.
- Temperature was blue sky 20C in July. However they had snow in June for first time in i think 47 years.
- Overall to Ireland visitor its a fairly cheap country. The flight is very long but at least no real time zone difference.

Trip outside the City would be mandatory if I went again. Kruger is 5 hour drive but also Game Parks closed in Sun City direction. While Cape Town is the tourist destination of choice Durban also comes recommended.

From what I gathered September-November is a good time to visit.