LFC in Exile
24/03/2003, 3:38 PM
Bray 9 - 2 Kilkenny 9 - 1

Finn Harps 5 - 1 Cobh 9 - 1

Dundalk 11 - 2 Athlone 12 - 1

Kildare 6 - 1 Dublin 20 - 1

Galway 7 - 1 Limerick 20 - 1

Sligo 8 - 1 Monaghan 28 - 1

From Paddy Powers. Interestig stuff. The first division is so hard to call. Are Bray that much better than Finn Harps or Galway even. Galway look like a good bet. Limerick at 20/1 compared to Kilkenny and Cobh at 9/1 seems completely wrong. Do Paddy Power know that Tommy Lunch has taken over at Buckley Park? Dundalk would also want to improve a lot to live up those odds.

joe
24/03/2003, 3:42 PM
monaghan are hardly that long a shot are they?

Schumi
24/03/2003, 3:45 PM
Galway and Harps look the best value.

Kilkenny at 9-1. :confused: :confused:

deise deserter
24/03/2003, 3:49 PM
Anyone have any indications on the diffeence between Limerick and Kilkenny?

Lynch is an ex-Limerick manager who had little success with the club and he is bringing ex-Limerick players to Kilkenny.

I for one don't get it. Could someone please enlighten me?:confused:

joe
24/03/2003, 3:50 PM
Originally posted by deise deserter

limerick wear blue, kilkenny don't ;)

deise deserter
24/03/2003, 3:55 PM
Posted by Joe:

limerick wear blue, kilkenny don't

You'ld expect a "Director's" humour to be a little more developed, wouldn't you!:p

joe
24/03/2003, 3:57 PM
Posted by Joe:

You'ld expect a "Director's" humour to be a little more developed, wouldn't you!:p

sorry, i was dumbing it down for the minnions ;)

sadloserkid
24/03/2003, 4:00 PM
Originally posted by joe
limerick wear blue, kilkenny don't ;)

Go easy on him Joe, he's from Waterford (you'd think he'd at least know kilkenny's colours though!) :D

deise deserter
24/03/2003, 4:01 PM
Posted by Joe:

sorry, i was dumbing it down for the minnions

Sorry I didn't know there were Cork fans here!!:p

joe
24/03/2003, 4:05 PM
g'way ya ******!

deise deserter
24/03/2003, 4:08 PM
Resorting to bad language Joe?!?

I'm shocked an appalled!

I call for an impeachment of our (un)loved Director!!!!!:D

joe
24/03/2003, 4:13 PM
Resorting to bad language Joe?!?

I'm shocked an appalled!

I call for an impeachment of our (un)loved Director!!!!!:D

before that, may i suggest you find out what happened to the last member to do something like that ;)

A face
24/03/2003, 4:38 PM

One of them are complete and utter crap on the field !!

Nempton
24/03/2003, 4:58 PM
[QUOTE]Anyone have any indications on the diffeence between Limerick and Kilkenny? Lynch is an ex-Limerick manager who had little success with the club and he is bringing ex-Limerick players to Kilkenny. I for one don't get it. [QUOTE/]

Tommy in his day was a good player. Previous to Limerick he had managed Waterford but I don't know what the circumstances were for his leaving of Waterford. Someone out there might tell us. But back to him managing Limerick though, he got them organised and all the players knew what they were doing. He also had a good mix of young and experienced players and towards the end of his last season he had Limerick challenging for the playoffs but towards the end of the season they faded a bit. I think as well though the difference between Tommy and Noel and their overall abilities involved in management is probably the deciding factor regarding the betting odds.

However Limerick have done well to improve their wage bill and sign some good experienced players but if we could also get some more players of the calibre of Colm Heffernan, Limerick will be in with a flying chance of promotion. However, regardless if we do or don't sign anymore new players I think Limerick will do far better than Kilkenny.

BlueisBeautiful
24/03/2003, 9:25 PM
.... Kilkenny will finish higher than us this season, which is not nice!!!!

sadloserkid
25/03/2003, 8:12 AM
I have a hunch that Kilkenny will flop this season. Looking at the players he's taken only McCarthy looks a real start. As for the others... a Paul Harmon who was never a regular in any Limerick team, David Dunphy (a ginger Frank Browne) and Eddie Hickey (junior football last year and Galway's bench the season before. What are we afraid of?

As for The Lunchbox, Nempton asserts "He also had a good mix of young and experienced players and towards the end of his last season he had Limerick challenging for the playoffs but towards the end of the season they faded a bit." Sounds like Limerick last season to be honest except we've added more experience this time out.

LFC in Exile
25/03/2003, 11:08 AM
BisB, I think that posting calls for a small wager no? What do you think. And I won't even look for odds from you based on Paddy Powers view. :) 10 euro?

BlueisBeautiful
25/03/2003, 2:55 PM
..... I dont like betting against my own team but I like easy money too so maybe.......

sadloserkid
25/03/2003, 3:13 PM
Originally posted by BlueisBeautiful
..... I dont like betting against my own team but I like easy money too so maybe.......

Alright... what odds can I get on Blue is Beautiful taking this bet? :D

deise deserter
25/03/2003, 4:18 PM
Posted by Nempton:

I think as well though the difference between Tommy and Noel and their overall abilities involved in management is probably the deciding factor regarding the betting odds.

I don't get you Nempton.

Lynch brought no silverware to Limerick, yet O'Connor did. Lynch played one man up front at home. O'Connor has begun to build up a better team. Lynch seems to be cramming ex-Limerick players into his team, players O'Connor doesn't seem to rate.

sadloserkid
25/03/2003, 4:23 PM
Posted by Nempton:

I don't get you Nempton.

Lynch brought no silverware to Limerick, yet O'Connor did. Lynch played one man up front at home. O'Connor has begun to build up a better team. Lynch seems to be cramming ex-Limerick players into his team, players O'Connor doesn't seem to rate.

While I agree with the overall thrust of your piece Deise there's just one point I'd like to clarify. The players that Lynch is putting into his team aren't bad players - Derek McCarthy was a class striker with real goalscoring menace and we could badly do with him back (unless he's still crocked), Paul Harmon looked to have a lot of potential as well and could/would/will have developed into a fine player. Dunphy never really impressed me and Hickey was gone ever before the Lunchbox walked off on us.

Overall though Tommy is a nice guy and not a bad coach but is he the man the lead us into the Premiership??? Hardly!

Schumi
25/03/2003, 4:28 PM
Originally posted by sadloserkid
Overall though Tommy is a nice guy and not a bad coach but is he the man the lead us into the Premiership??? Limerick heading off to England then?

deise deserter
25/03/2003, 4:29 PM
Posted by SLK:

While I agree with the overall thrust of your piece Deise there's just one point I'd like to clarify. The players that Lynch is putting into his team aren't bad players - Derek McCarthy was a class striker with real goalscoring menace and we could badly do with him back (unless he's still crocked), Paul Harmon looked to have a lot of potential as well and could/would/will have developed into a fine player. Dunphy never really impressed me and Hickey was gone ever before the Lunchbox walked off on us.

That is why I said:

O'Connor doesn't seem to rate

Does this mean that Harmon is the only real loss to the club?

sadloserkid
25/03/2003, 4:35 PM
Harmon is the only real loss to the club?

No Derek McCarthy is. He's one of the best strikers in the First Division. Think Willie Bruton with a few more tricks and you're not far off.

deise deserter
25/03/2003, 4:38 PM
That said if he has been gone for a long time due to injury and is playing with a team further away for substantially less money in regards wages one would wonder...

sadloserkid
25/03/2003, 4:41 PM
for substantially less money

And what makes you say that? Are you actually a Kilkenny fan from Waterford who supports Limerick??? :D Derek McCarthy isn't giving anywhere unless he's being well paid, make no mistakeon that one. And it's only been about 14 months since he wore a Limerick shirt when you think about it... ah sure...

Nempton
25/03/2003, 5:39 PM
Deise, first, the ex-Limerick players. If you knew anything about Limerick you would have known that Derek and Harmon were two excellent players for Limerick and still are. The reason why Derek is not playing with Limerick is well documented on another thread on this message board as for Harmon he was left go because he was missing training. So it was more for disciplinary reasons why he left rather than his ability. Secondly, your argument based on the fact Tommy Lynch played one striker up front is what exactly...it's a stupid comment. I know you picked it up from SLK in another thread. I know SLK doesn't like that formation (and I repsect his thoughts on that because we have talked about it before) but what exactly are you trying to say. I watched Limerick under Tommy and Noel, have you? If you could say that you have, then your argument (if thats what it is) might have some foundation because otherwise it makes no sense. It is something that one might say in front of the lads pretending that he is an expert on football and knows what he is talking about. You might actually clarify your point for me. I have seen teams like Man Utd play one striker up front so does that mean Noel is a better manager than Sir Alex. When refering to the difference between Tommy and Noel my point was this, that Limerick when I watched them were organised under Tommy and knew what their purpose was on the field whereas at times I have watched Limerick under Noel and all I'll say is that they were like headless chickens on the field.

BlueisBeautiful
25/03/2003, 8:59 PM
...to ya Nempton! At least there's someone else out there who agrees with me about Tommy Lynch. Now I dont feel so marginalised!!!

sadloserkid
26/03/2003, 8:20 AM
Originally posted by BlueisBeautiful
At least there's someone else out there who agrees with me about Tommy Lynch. Now I dont feel so marginalised!!!

Don't feel marginalised BisB! :D Like I said Tommy's alright but he had his chance and didn't take it. It would be a step backwards to appoint him. The only one of our ex-first division managers worth re-appointing would be Sam Allardyce and I suspect that he'd probably like to stay with Bolton :confused: But as for Tommy, he's ok and he'll improve Kilkenny but he won't bring them up and he wouldn't have brought us up either...

deise deserter
26/03/2003, 9:14 AM
Nempton:
I'll just ignore what you are saying about McCarthy - he hasn't been seen playing LOI football since his injury and you can't make such a definitive judgement about a player who has experienced such a long absence due to injury. I have also heard rumours that was acting up like a prima donna on Kilkenny - first not going unless they got him a job, and secondly only wanting to train once a week. Also didn't Mr McCarthy run from the club as fast as he could when they were in financial difficulty a few seasons back? Don, I know the guy is your friend but please get your head out of his mercenary arse. As for your attempted pathetic childish digs at me - grow up.

sadloserkid
26/03/2003, 9:17 AM
Also didn't Mr McCarthy run from the club as fast as he could when they were in financial difficulty a few seasons back?

No. But there's a story behind that too.

deise deserter
26/03/2003, 10:00 AM
Posted By SLK:

there's a story behind that too.

Didn't want to break Nempton's spirit and destroy his image of McCarthy ;) by adding the "but." You know what the "but" is - I didn't want to make it public as it was told in confidence.

Nempton
26/03/2003, 5:35 PM
As for your attempted pathetic childish digs at me - grow up.

What childish digs??? Deise the only valid point you made was regarding Noel winning the League Cup and one where it would be hard to counter. It was a good point but the problem I had was that you then said...

Lynch played one man up front at home

Now this I thought was a silly point. I asked you to clarify what you meant by it because I'm curious to know. I know you didn't see Limerick play under Tommy so I want to know what you were getting at with this or were you refering to SLK's thoughts on this. I gave you the example of Sir Alex and how he plays Van Nistlerooy up front by himself at Old Trafford because I wanted to know were you saying that any manager who plays one up front is crap. Now if me challenging this part of your statement is "childish" then I'm sorry for highlighting how dumb it sounded and asking you to clarify it which I'm entitled to do if you posted it for everyone to see. You haven't done this instead because you thought I was having a go at you, you decided to go on the offensive and what do you do repeat facts that I already know about Derek ('cos we are mates) and which I had already mentioned to SLK (I'm not sure if I mentioned it in a previous thread). Yes he wanted to see was there a job available for him if he signed for Kilkenny. Why not? He had the same deal with Limerick along with a few other Limerick players. But your right any player who looks for the best deal for himself has to be a "Prima Donna". As for the training I mentioned that in another thread. Derek doesn't drive, he is dependent on others to drive him to and fro and he works in Charleville so its hard for him to travel and meet up with the Kilkenny squad. Hence why he was looking for a job with the club (don't you think that makes a lot of sense now, looking to be based near the club). As for his length of time away from the game, thats a good point Deise. He is making his comeback from injury so we haven't seen him play competitively yet, I think he's still good, I'm not basing this point on the fact that I'm friends with him, but rather that he is doing well in training (he plays with a few of the lads back at Buttevant every Tuesday and is as fit as ever). The only way we will find this out though is only as the season progresses.
When Limerick were in financial trouble he didn't threaten to runaway this is something that I've told SLK as well but the next time I see you I'll tell you if you like. As for my head up his arse, it's not Deise I can assure you, my head is far too big to do that :)

Now in future Deise if I reply back I can assure you that I'm not being petty or having ago at you. You can sleep easy at night now :p

deise deserter
27/03/2003, 2:17 PM
Nempton: We seem to have crossed wires my mistake - I also apologise (and agree with you having a big head!:p ).

I still stand by what I said about playing one man up front at home. I checked back and yes you were right, SLK posted something similiar about it, probably because we were talking about it one evening a couple of weeks back.

As for Derek, here's hoping he's as fine a player as he was. But until he is seen playing football outside of training I don't think it wise to rate him so eagerly. The "incident" myself and SLK were talking about had to do with pay conditions when the club was in difficulty - the next time you see Derek ask him how much he was getting compared to the other players. From what I heard he didn't exactly pull with the team at their time of need.

Anyway, Nempton are you coming up to Galway tonight? Me Dar and Trev should be leaving about 5ish.

Nempton
28/03/2003, 10:08 AM
Nay worries Deise, alas I couldn't go to Galway last night nor did SLK text me the score like he said he would but I'm hoping there is a match report somewhere on it. As for the one up front we have different opinions which is fair enough, I disagree with SLK about it as well but thats what makes talking about football so much fun...the different opinions :D

sadloserkid
28/03/2003, 10:14 AM
*cough* sorry Nempton... 0-0... we missed most of the first half though...

Nempton
28/03/2003, 10:19 AM
Posted this before but it doesn't seem to be going through so here we go again...

Nay worries Deise, alas I couldn't go to Galway last night nor did SLK text me the score like he said he would but I'm hoping there is a match report somewhere on it. As for the one up front we have different opinions which is fair enough, I disagree with SLK about it as well but thats what makes talking about football so much fun...the different opinions :D

Nempton
28/03/2003, 11:03 AM
Any chance of getting some kind of a match report and who was playing for Limerick. Besides how could you miss some of the first half especially since we know where Terryland is this time, your a disgrace :p

sadloserkid
28/03/2003, 11:10 AM
We came onto a roundabout. slk said "take a right". Deise and Dan went "Oh look the floodlights are straight ahead!" slk said "take a right" We went stright ahead... And gael353 took a wrong turn out of Ennis as well...

Ammm.... team that started was (I think)

Healy

Keating Purcell Funucane Molan

Heffernan Whyte Cooney Morris-Roe

Ryan Foley

Subs included Donnellan, Browne, Loughman, Ricardo (class, class, class)

Nempton
28/03/2003, 12:47 PM
Thats what happened the last time as well but I thought you would have known better (sighs)...As for Ennis well no excuses there ;)

You seem to be prasing Ricardo so thats good that we've got a good fullback. As for Keating, I know your a big fan of his and I haven't really had the chance to see much of him but will the G.A.A. take priority again with him considering that he is in the Limerick Senior squad. I think we will only see glimpses of him this season. Morris-roe is a left winger, that will give us plenty of options in midfield. We seem to have strengthened midfield a lot and perhaps it will be more competitive and asserting this season. Even the fullback positions have being strenthened but two things 1. up front, we need a good striker (I know we are all aware of that), I think Foley is more suited to a deep role/wing and 2. do we have any cover for the centrebacks or would the likes of Poill/Molan/Browne be able to cover us in those positions. Finally as well what is Healy like in goal will he be reliable for us this season.

sadloserkid
28/03/2003, 12:53 PM
Keating has given up the GAA for good. We don't really have any cover at centre-half at the moment, I've never seen Poill or Browne play there and Conor Molan is a good player but looked uncomfortable when he played there against Dundalk. I've only heard good things about Healy but can't pass judgement yet myself because he hasn't had much to do in the short time I saw him for.