PDA

View Full Version : Drinking on the terraces

Pages : [1] 2 3

ndrog
12/07/2007, 11:21 PM
Very unusual to see people openly drinking Pints from the bar on the terrace at Oriel park tonight .Both Harps and Duns fans were buying beers at the bar and were allowed stand and watch the game while supping away . While this looked very enjoyable i felt a bit on edge as there was a few really drunk people falling about the place .Recipe for disaster IMHO .

gilberto_eire
12/07/2007, 11:26 PM
i see your point but been adults i think we should be allowed to drink while we watch the games...my main reason for this is the games are on friday nights!!.
if someone cant drink responsibly well then they should be delt with like they would in any other establishment!!.... we dont have a bar as dont many other clubs so in this regard i think we should be allowed drink what we brought in as long as were not rowdy or not flauting it and are of the above age to drink.

kdjaC
12/07/2007, 11:35 PM
Possibility that Pats could offer this service to home fans in the stand, i cant see it being bad thing as long as normal bar rules applied.

Why shouldnt we be able to get beer at games, in our seats?

kdjac

LeixlipRed
12/07/2007, 11:45 PM
I wish the average Irish person was responsible enough to down a few beers while watching a match but here's hoping.

Dodge
13/07/2007, 12:43 AM
There's a UEFA rule that won't allow alcohol cannot be consumed in the "viewing" part of the ground. Bars are fine but once you leave the bar, the drink must stay.

Im not saying it applies to Ye Olde First Division but Pats have looked intoa lot of things recently and the FAI told them they couldn't do it...

The Man Himself
13/07/2007, 6:06 AM
i see your point but been adults i think we should be allowed to drink while we watch the games...my main reason for this is the games are on friday nights!!.
if someone cant drink responsibly well then they should be delt with like they would in any other establishment!!.... we dont have a bar as dont many other clubs so in this regard i think we should be allowed drink what we brought in as long as were not rowdy or not flauting it and are of the above age to drink.

it wouldnt be cool if you couldnt drink your cans of dutch gold and look like a scumbag watching the match.
cop on ffs, the last thing we need in the ground is a bunch of clowns who think their the whole men with their stupit cans of ****.

Vitruvian Man
13/07/2007, 7:42 AM
There's a UEFA rule that won't allow alcohol cannot be consumed in the "viewing" part of the ground. Bars are fine but once you leave the bar, the drink must stay.

Im not saying it applies to Ye Olde First Division but Pats have looked intoa lot of things recently and the FAI told them they couldn't do it...

Is this really true?
I have drank a good few beers sitting in my seat at matches on the continent expecially Germany.

I was under the impression that the FAI were just slavishly following the English FA decision to ban alcohol from football grounds.

I think allowing people at EL matches to have a beer in a plastic glass would do a lot to attract people to the game.

The football might not be the best but the EL is the best drinking league in the world.

Raheny Red
13/07/2007, 7:51 AM

We found that out in Monaghan. At first we were allowed bring our (plastic) pints into the stand. Then the head of security got onto us and told us we couldn't leave the bar with the drink. Wasn't a major problem - we could still see the game, get pished and get hammered 4-0, what more can you ask for on a Friday evening?! :D

Finn Harps didn't have a problem with us drinking up there early in the season. We were able to leave at half time to get more cans in the nearby offo :cool: - that's two UEFA rules broken there :p

We were allowed drink in Limerick's ground. In Athlone you can bring your plastic pints into the stand. Cobh didn't allow drinking on the terraces.

Anyway, there's nothing better than having a few drinks watching a bit of ball.

OneRedArmy
13/07/2007, 8:02 AM
UEFA competition rules prohibit drink sales at all games under their jurisdiction(club and international). Foreign domestic league games are generally fine (unless its in England or Scotland where its against the law).

Not sure if there is a specific FAI/EL rule on it, but hypothetically I'd love a pint or two watching the match if I wasn't driving.

I reckon it would have a large impact on stewarding and security though as we aren't renowned as a nation for responsible drinking.

Dodge
13/07/2007, 8:14 AM
I agree it should be allowed by the way (in plastic cups) but in Italy and Spain only non alcoholic beer is sold. Friend of mine spent a fair few quid at a game in Barcelona and after 13 ****es realised it was non alcoholic.

The reason Pats were given from the FAI is the UEFA spiel

bellavistaman
13/07/2007, 8:19 AM

i think adults should be allowed in the plastic cups but the problem is people who pass them on to kids then. Most fans wont want to miss the match so they prob get one before and at half time anyway.

carrickharp
13/07/2007, 8:35 AM
True alright about lastnight in Oriel lot's of fans from both sides drinking on the terrace beside the clubhouse (plastic cups supplied) seemed like a lot of underage drinking going all as well!

Bomb Landsdowne
13/07/2007, 9:48 AM
I would love to have a few pints while watching a match. Cant see there being any problems if its in plastic cups. I would defo be able to attract a few of my mates down to richmond if you could sit there drinking a pint.

Its all positive as far as im concerned. Even if a fella went around the ground selling pints(like the coffee fellas) it would be ideal. It would attract more fans to games. I know my mates would be coaxed out of the pub if you could buy beer especially on friday nights.

If marketed well like the house racing and the greyhounds it would attract more fans.

A thousand pints sold at 1 euro profit per pint. Additional income for the clubs.

galwayhoop
13/07/2007, 9:50 AM
Is this really true?
I have drank a good few beers sitting in my seat at matches on the continent expecially Germany.

are you sure it wasn't non-alcoholic ;)

Sam_Heggy
13/07/2007, 9:57 AM
Very unusual to see people openly drinking Pints from the bar on the terrace at Oriel park tonight .Both Harps and Duns fans were buying beers at the bar and were allowed stand and watch the game while supping away . While this looked very enjoyable i felt a bit on edge as there was a few really drunk people falling about the place .Recipe for disaster IMHO .

Funniest thing about it though was, we could bring them out b4 the game but not after Half time. Whats the difference?
We absolutely drenched Parkhouse for the goal :p beer everywhere :D

fbtn
13/07/2007, 9:57 AM
It was edgy enough - I was having pints myself but there were some skangers in the Dundalk support to our left who were hammered and looking to have a go all night. They weren't kids either. Bad idea to have drink on the terraces like that.

I wish the average Irish person was responsible enough to down a few beers while watching a match but here's hoping.

100% spot on.

Vitruvian Man
13/07/2007, 10:19 AM
are you sure it wasn't non-alcoholic ;)

Condidering the 7 or 8 I'd have in the pub beforehand I can neither confirm nor deny that remark.

soccerc
13/07/2007, 11:04 AM
I'd love a pint or two watching the match

...or maybe some whiskey in a nice warm cup of coffeee kindly supplied by a friend!

Finlay Harp
13/07/2007, 11:09 AM
Oriel is a joke. Full of clowns thinking they are hard lads. Shops must do some sales in tracksuits and Air Max!
I counted 8 stewards in the whole ground and they had no idea what was going on. If Dundalk go up I would love to see the shape of the place when Rovers and Bohs leave it. Sort it out Dundalk!

fbtn
13/07/2007, 11:13 AM
Oriel is a joke. Full of clowns thinking they are hard lads. Shops must do some sales in tracksuits and Air Max!
I counted 8 stewards in the whole ground and they had no idea what was going on. If Dundalk go up I would love to see the shape of the place when Rovers and Bohs leave it. Sort it out Dundalk!

100%.

mcgonigle
13/07/2007, 11:14 AM

So I take it that you got trouble last night then Finlay!

dcfcsteve
13/07/2007, 11:15 AM
The sad reality is that if beer was allowed to be openly consumed on terraces/in stands at EL games, incidents of trouble would arise/increase. I could even see it inevitably resulting in, or contributing to, a situation where it was felt necessary to reverse the decision. Particularly given how rubbish the stewarding, segregation and lay-out of most of our grounds is.

Analogies with horse-racing and greyhounds are just naive. Football clearly attracts a different demographic and has a dramatically different culture, atmosphere, history and dynamic.

Personally, I've never understood why people are that desperate for a drink that they will go to any length to smuggle in a few cans of nasty dirt-cheap booze into a football match. Sad that they can't survive for 2hrs without a drink.....

Sam_Heggy
13/07/2007, 11:18 AM

nah the Harps fans were there to watch a game of football and support our team, not to get involved in mindless violence. If that went on in Finn Park, im pretty sure the "fans" involved would be chucked out and barred.

Finlay Harp
13/07/2007, 11:29 AM

Not me personally. I am long enough in the tooth attending games around Europe to know when to keep back from getting involved with scumbags not worth it! Your support leaves alot to be desired!

Rams-07
13/07/2007, 11:36 AM
At the last game in Cobh last year ( against rovers who needed a point to win league) a lot of rovers fans got past security and brought their drinks out of clubhouse and then started to pelt our keeper with drink (what a waste) at first but then with glasses....scary stuff

new blue
13/07/2007, 11:47 AM
it wouldnt be cool if you couldnt drink your cans of dutch gold and look like a scumbag watching the match.
cop on ffs, the last thing we need in the ground is a bunch of clowns who think their the whole men with their stupit cans of ****.

Well said - we need this carry-on like a hole in the head!
What planet are some of these people on and what responsuble parent would allow children into a booze-filled atmosphere.

Sam_Heggy
13/07/2007, 11:53 AM
I do think a pub attached to the ground/ owned by the club is a great idea. Dundalk must have made a bomb last night, but unfortunately some people cant be trusted to behave. Its a pity that just a small section of people can spoil it for the real fans.

hogey
13/07/2007, 12:26 PM
I agree it should be allowed by the way (in plastic cups) but in Italy and Spain only non alcoholic beer is sold. Friend of mine spent a fair few quid at a game in Barcelona and after 13 ****es realised it was non alcoholic.

The reason Pats were given from the FAI is the UEFA spiel

Not entirely true. I was on the Curva Sud last April for the Roma-Lazio match and there were bars open in the stand and bottles were being sold by sellers walking around (and then every bottle got thrown at the stewards and police :D).

Dodge
13/07/2007, 12:32 PM
You sure it wa alcoholic?

hogey
13/07/2007, 1:01 PM
I was sure it was but you're after putting doubts into my head. The game is all a bit of a haze. The general mayhem seemed to suggest it was alcohol but then they dont need alcohol for that.

Bald Student
13/07/2007, 1:02 PM
Both the Faeroes and San Marino had beer on sale in the ground, maybe little countries get away with it.

The Lilywhites
13/07/2007, 1:02 PM
If marketed well like the house racing and the greyhounds it would attract more fans.

:confused::D:D

NY Hoop
13/07/2007, 1:05 PM
At the last game in Cobh last year ( against rovers who needed a point to win league) a lot of rovers fans got past security and brought their drinks out of clubhouse and then started to pelt our keeper with drink (what a waste) at first but then with glasses....scary stuff

Absolute nonsense.

Every club should have a bar as it generates income. However drink shouldnt be allowed to be taken from the bar onto terraces.

KOH

ghBohs
13/07/2007, 1:33 PM
Dundalk must have made a bomb last night

While visits to Oriel Park normally prompt that sort of a reaction, in fairness to the natives Sam, I think they've left all that sort of stuff in the past.

I've supped official ale in the stands in Germany and at a UEFA Cup Final in Denmark. And yes, it was full strength. I can barely remember the penalty shootout.

HolylandsMan
13/07/2007, 1:34 PM
It'd be a great idea if people could be trusted to be responsible, unfortunately that's asking a lot.

Maybe if it was given a trial at a few grounds? Personally I'd love to see it and the reality is that fans just get ****ed before they go into the grounds anyway and often sneak drink in so the overall level of drunkeness probably wouldn't go up that much.

bohsmug
13/07/2007, 1:45 PM
the reality is that fans just get ****ed before they go into the grounds anyway and often sneak drink in so the overall level of drunkeness probably wouldn't go up that much.

Agreed.
The type of fans who are going to cause trouble and get stupidly drunk if beer was available at the games are the type that do it now anyway. I hate being punished for idiots behaviour. They'll be idiots regardless.

Schumi
13/07/2007, 1:48 PM
Both the Faeroes and San Marino had beer on sale in the ground, maybe little countries get away with it. The stuff in the Faroes was either alcohol free or low-alcohol, I forget which.

fbtn
13/07/2007, 2:11 PM
You could buy four pints at a time in Paris during the Ireland/France game. They even gave you a tray so you wouldn't spill any going up into the stand. :D

The pikey's that were having a go at us last night - the last thing those idiots needed was been allowed to drink.

JC_GUFC
13/07/2007, 2:14 PM
In Sweden they have "low alcohol" beer, had a few glasses at Djurgardens v Cork a few years back, looked and tasted like Coors Light.

When in Paris for Derry's game last year one of my companions, along with a few hundred Derry men, queued for the whole of halftime to get me a glass of "Amstel Free" claiming it was the pint he owed me!!!
It was awful **** but I'm pretty hazy on the rest of the evening so it must have had some sort of inebriating value!

OneRedArmy
13/07/2007, 2:16 PM
You could buy four pints at a time in Paris during the Ireland/France game. They even gave you a tray so you wouldn't spill any going up into the stand. :D

The pikey's that were having a go at us last night - the last thing those idiots needed was been allowed to drink.That was definately low/no alcohol.

gilberto_eire
13/07/2007, 2:23 PM

who said i drink dutch gold....dont make such a sweeping statement about me when you dont have a clue!. i bring vodka into the grounds in a bottle with red bull.... i think it should be overlooked as long as you sneak it in, and arent rowdy or flauting it!.
you obvioulsy dont get out much if you think over-age men dont want to have a drink while watching a match on a FRIDAY NIGHT!. and dont be trying to describe me as a scumbag in your description...theres only one clown here and its not me!!:rolleyes:

fbtn
13/07/2007, 2:42 PM
stupit

Arf, arf, arf!

ndrog
13/07/2007, 2:44 PM
I was totally sober last night so had a good scan about the place at what was going on .At first it seemed like a really nice idea , lovely summer evening , pint in hand watching a game .But at half time some of the young blokes from the shed came over to bar , and the atmosphere changed .A few of them brought there pints back over with them to the far side off the ground ! the ones who were caught became fairly aggro with stewards and some harps fans .I thought it was gonna kick off tbh.

Sam_Heggy
13/07/2007, 3:07 PM
I was totally sober last night so had a good scan about the place at what was going on .At first it seemed like a really nice idea , lovely summer evening , pint in hand watching a game .But at half time some of the young blokes from the shed came over to bar , and the atmosphere changed .A few of them brought there pints back over with them to the far side off the ground ! the ones who were caught became fairly aggro with stewards and some harps fans .I thought it was gonna kick off tbh.

i was there myself, i queried why were we not allowed out in the 2nd half with our drinks? what was the difference in drinkin on the terrace in the 1st or 2nd half? some of our lads had the craic with the stewards and even some of the Dundalk fans were having the craic, but going to kick off? I didnt see that, we actually snuck our beer out, none of our lads (or Dundalk lads) became fairly "aggro". Each Dundalk fan i spoke to said it was the normal practice, so why would they give the steward sh!te over it?

fbtn
13/07/2007, 3:09 PM

Big time - a few of them were looking to get at us and had to be restrained. Normally we would go into the bar for a few pints afterwards but the stewards kept us in the ground and made our driver get the bus. We had to be sneaked out the back gate and take a different route away from Oriel as they were waiting to smash the windows on the bus according to the steward.

We usually have a good enough relationship with Dundalk fans but some of these lads were obviously nasty pieces of work. Hopefully they don't come up to Finn Park because it would definitely kick-off. The locals don't take kindly to that kind of crap as the Shels schooligans can testify to this season.

mcgonigle
13/07/2007, 3:12 PM
well someone seems to be lying there its either sam heggy or fbtn, they were both in the same place and both have two different accounts of what was or was not going to happen. Interesting isnt it

jebus
13/07/2007, 3:17 PM
who said i drink dutch gold....dont make such a sweeping statement about me when you dont have a clue!. i bring vodka into the grounds in a bottle with red bull....

Yep thats much classier :p

Honestly, as a fan I don't have a problem with people drinking in the ground during the game, but if I were running a club I wouldn't allow it. Sends out the wrong message to families, and has the capability of getting messy in the wrong type of fans hands

fbtn
13/07/2007, 3:17 PM
Sam meant it wasn't going to kick-off with the stewards.

He knows all about the crap we were getting as he was on my bus and had to go out the side exist with the rest of us.

Bald Student
13/07/2007, 3:19 PM
well someone seems to be lying there its either sam heggy or fbtn, they were both in the same place and both have two different accounts of what was or was not going to happen. Interesting isnt itAnd why have fbtn and sam heggy never been photographed together?

Interesting..........

fbtn
13/07/2007, 3:19 PM
By the way McGonigle, read your own forum. Even your own fans are on about it.

If you were at the game, surely you'd have noticed your non-existent segregation policy and inadequate stewarding.