PDA

View Full Version : Motor Tax

Risteard
12/07/2007, 1:46 PM
The girlfriend went in for her provisional a while back and kept forgetting bits and pieces so what do i require for motor tax?
Just an insurance cert?
How much for a 1.4 for the three months roughly and is there any hassle if i get caught in the mean-time without it?

Peadar
12/07/2007, 1:58 PM
I'd bring your insurance policy details & your vehicle registration certificate.
This is a list of the rates... (https://www.motortax.ie/mtoapp/pdf/motortax_rates_2004_en.pdf)

There's a form available in the office, that you'll need to complete, before you get to the counter.
They accept VISA, Laser, etc.

To answer your question, it's €82 for 3 months. (If your car is marked 1.4, it's actually likely to be just under. Check your Vehicle Registration Cert.)

pete
12/07/2007, 4:32 PM
Unless it is the first time you have taxed that car (bought it recently) you will just need the Insurance Cert.

anto1208
12/07/2007, 4:52 PM
You need to have your disks displayed , Insurance companies and garages will tell you otherwise but as i found out it means nothing to the Gaurds .

I bought a car insured it drove it home parked it outside my home ( flat in town ) woke up to find 2 tickets 1 for no insurance disk one for no tax , i went and explained it to the gaurds who just said if they are nt dissplayed you cant have it on the road .

pete
12/07/2007, 4:57 PM
There is no hassle for motor tax up to a least 1 month overdue.

Online is the best option as will take less than a week to be sent out.

Risteard
12/07/2007, 5:57 PM
Much appreciated lads.
Jayz, tis fair hefty.
What did you have to pay in fines anto?

anto1208
12/07/2007, 6:23 PM
Much appreciated lads.
Jayz, tis fair hefty.
What did you have to pay in fines anto?

oh its 6 years ago now but i think it was 28 pounds each something like that not too big but when you have just shelled out 6 grand on your first car and insurance the day before its quite a bit :D

But after a few visits and proving it was all insured and taxed i got off with it but still wasted 4 or 5 lunch breaks going in trying to meet the right gaurd , now that was a joke, id ring they'd say he is on at 1 id go in at 1 and he wouldnt be there 3 or 4 times they did that

paul_oshea
13/07/2007, 8:32 AM
Jayz, tis fair hefty.

dont be such a bogger! :D

i think if you just bought the car ( as it sounds like you did ) you have until the end of the month to get it taxed

Risteard
13/07/2007, 5:22 PM
Ya, pity that was 3 months ago.
A guard stamped the off-the-road thing for me and all, no questions asked but i lost it and after the long queue wasn't going back to the station or tax office again.