PDA

View Full Version : Dumb Adverts

Lionel Ritchie
11/07/2007, 10:54 AM
Okay adverts are a pet hate of mine -actually probably eveyones but those in the advertising industry who seem to think we look forward to the ad breaks.

I'll get the ball rolling with...

#1 The "just one look" current anti-drink drive advert. Very noble cause BUT does it strike anyone else that the couple in the bar look like brother and sister!!!:eek: Not cool. NOT COOL. Though maybe there's a few areas of this strange land that are being targeted with the important message that your sister won't do the wild thing with you any more if you drink and drive. :D

Moving swiftly along ...though not too far along ...

#2 Barrys Tea GAA ads ...they are just so fcukin red-neck hokkum. Like a Craggy Island-esque sketch. We've switched to Lyons ...and that took getting past Lyons' "nothing added but wind" ad.

#3 Cillit Bang! ...now these I resent. I resent being advertised at like I'm a Daily Sport reading, William Hill loitering little-Englander. ...and does yer man have the same name as the fellah who whacked Jill Dando?!? :eek: what the hell's that about?

sligoman
11/07/2007, 11:01 AM
#3 Cillit Bang! ...now these I resent. I resent being advertised at like I'm a Daily Sport reading, William Hill loitering little-Englander. ...and does yer man have the same name as the fellah who whacked Jill Dando?!? :eek: what the hell's that about?Listen to the re-mix:

-dT2iE1OBGk
:Dhttp://www.cillitbangremix.com/

Peadar
11/07/2007, 11:34 AM
I absolutely can't stand the Snack ads!
Guy jumping out of the press.
Guy smacks his boss on the arse with a tray.
Guy gets his sleeve stapled to the desk.
Pathetic!

Also can't stand the ads for Heineken, where the guy has a hotel in his head. Trying to be like the Carlsberg ads.

Any Budweiser "Answer The Call" ad will make me homicidal!
The guy screaming, deserves a kick in the nuts!

Ash
11/07/2007, 12:20 PM
BARRY SCOTT IS A LEGEND :D

Agree with Peadar on the Snack and Bud ads.
Who ever came up with the Snack ones, I'd like to give them
a smack in the mouth.

I used to hate those Ronseal varnish adverts. The lad looked a bit
of a nutter and it sounded like "use Ronseal or else I'll call around
and break your jaw"

The advert for the toenail infection cream freaks me out.
Especially when the little bug opens up the toenail like a door!!!!

Neish
11/07/2007, 12:25 PM
I
Any Budweiser "Answer The Call" ad will make me homicidal!
The guy screaming, deserves a kick in the nuts!

Ditto on that. Can't belive no one mentioned the Halifax adds despise them.

fosterdollar
11/07/2007, 12:31 PM
Patronising radio ads for Mespil Hotel with culchies sounding like imbeciles

TonyD
11/07/2007, 12:31 PM
Most drink ads tend to be awful (notable exception the Carlsberg one with the truck driver, the old lady and the cat -especially the cat) The Budwieser ones are terrible alright, though they do have a good tune - "Young Folks" by Peter, Bjorn and John, fact fans. (thats on the "barbacue - OI'm there" one , not the awswer the call.) Also agree re the Barrys tea ads. Horrendous.

osarusan
11/07/2007, 12:38 PM
I'm talking about 6 years ago, but that black guy on the adds for some insurance company used to drive me crazy.

And, although the ads themselves weren't so bad, the Budweiser ads have to lot to answer for in terms of making every clown shout "WHASSSUUUUP!!!?" every 5 minutes.

Bluebeard
11/07/2007, 12:45 PM
Listen to the re-mix:

-dT2iE1OBGk
:Dhttp://www.cillitbangremix.com/

Makes watching the Cillet Bang ads in the past worthwhile - that's a new remix too!

Peadar
11/07/2007, 12:55 PM
Most drink ads tend to be awful (notable exception the Carlsberg one with the truck driver, the old lady and the cat -especially the cat)

Have to say though, I am a fan of this ad...

De0kRUfZ2ac

Schumi
11/07/2007, 1:01 PM
Have to say though, I am a fan of this ad...Class though since when is Heineken French?

The bank ad with the two tools doing some kind of hip hop dance is particularly appalling. Radio ads are mostly dreadful too.

Risteard
11/07/2007, 1:18 PM
Also can't stand the ads for Heineken, where the guy has a hotel in his head. Trying to be like the Carlsberg ads.
RODRIGO CARDOZO!!!
How can ya not like the man with the worlds best name?
Strangely, Barry Scotts wife in the ad is called Jill.:eek:
Reassuringly, her murderer was named Barry George.

John83
11/07/2007, 1:27 PM
What's the drink ad with the 'memory hotel' in it? It ends with the receptionist (his mind) telling a guy (drinking brand X), "You're killing me here."

I can't help but interpret that in a way I don't think they intended.

There's no end to stupid ads. There won't be until people stop buying stuff in ads.

Peadar
11/07/2007, 1:57 PM
The bank ad with the two tools doing some kind of hip hop dance is particularly appalling.

Imagine, they used some of their profits, made from charges to customers, to pay for that!
I'd switch banks!

citizenerased
11/07/2007, 2:10 PM
hate the new bank of ireland add witht he elf, also despise that bud add going to a barbecue. I love the rabobank adds, very good

Dodge
11/07/2007, 2:15 PM
Think the Halifax "get back you bankers" ads are alright

Agree with almost every other choice so far. The ads I absolutely despise are the ones for "cheap" car insurance or "cheap" home loans or debt consolidation. Makes me love Vorderman a little less

First
11/07/2007, 2:20 PM
Off topic , but I had to mention it.
Funniest add is for Donegal catch . The one that goes " you might be beautiful but their keeping my idea on file .....in a filing cabinet.. I still laugh every time I see it it's a classic.

Peadar
11/07/2007, 2:27 PM
Funniest add is for Donegal catch . The one that goes " you might be beautiful but their keeping my idea on file .....in a filing cabinet.. I still laugh every time I see it it's a classic.

Get a giggle out that myself.

Can't stand the McDonald's ad, with the child in the back of "taxi".
Cheeky cow should be grateful she doesn't have to get the bus.
Would be no harm if she sorted out her accent either.

Also think the Diet Coke (lets hear it for the girl...) is sickening!

Jerry The Saint
11/07/2007, 2:29 PM
#3 Cillit Bang! ...now these I resent. I resent being advertised at like I'm a Daily Sport reading, William Hill loitering little-Englander. ...and does yer man have the same name as the fellah who whacked Jill Dando?!? :eek: what the hell's that about?

BANG! ...and the Dand is gone! :eek: :(

pete
11/07/2007, 2:30 PM
The Good
- Rabobank

The Bad
- Budweiser ads are rubbish
- Heineken usually just as bad.

The Ugly
- Government ads just as National Workplace Strategy (http://www.workplacestrategy.ie/). The government has too much money if wasting on this rubbish.

ollie
11/07/2007, 2:56 PM
Also think the Diet Coke (lets hear it for the girl...) is sickening!

I cant stand that and i despise the lynx one (bong chicka wow wow or something). Really gets on my nerves!:mad:

Peadar
11/07/2007, 3:04 PM
... and i despise the lynx one (bong chicka wow wow or something). Really gets on my nerves!:mad:

Yes, but the Lynx ad, with the Morgan Freeman look-alike, is class!

Dodge
11/07/2007, 3:17 PM
Thats rubbish! First of all, both morgan Freeman and the makers of Seven should sue, and second of all, why would a librarian have an overdue stamp? HOw can she stamp a book as overdue if its already out!?

Peadar
11/07/2007, 3:26 PM
... why would a librarian have an overdue stamp? HOw can she stamp a book as overdue if its already out!?

Yes Dodge, you're entirely correct! Each individual, with library membership, should carry their own "overdue" stamp, in order to reprimand themselves! :rolleyes:

Since your experience of a "library" is most likely limited to Chartbusters, I'll let you into a secret. It's not the book that gets stamped!

the 12 th man
11/07/2007, 3:27 PM
Any Harvey Norman ad.

beautifulrock
11/07/2007, 3:54 PM
Yes, but the Lynx ad, with the Morgan Freeman look-alike, is class!

Yes it was and the ones with Wycleff were class. "Wycleff come here I am smelling like P-I - G :)

TonyD
11/07/2007, 9:00 PM
Reassuringly, her murderer was named Barry George.

Or was he ;)

Just saw one tonight that I'd forgotten about. The Lucozade, "Bears in the Woods" effort. Makes me want to smash the TV.

Dodge
11/07/2007, 9:20 PM
Yes Dodge, you're entirely correct! Each individual, with library membership, should carry their own "overdue" stamp, in order to reprimand themselves! :rolleyes:

Since your experience of a "library" is most likely limited to Chartbusters, I'll let you into a secret. It's not the book that gets stamped!

Having worked in a library I'll say your sarcasm is misplaced...

Iorfa
11/07/2007, 9:48 PM
I don't know what a tracker mortgage is...

Peadar
11/07/2007, 9:49 PM
Having worked in a library I'll say your sarcasm is misplaced...

No better person to say "Shssssssssh". (http://www.dvc.edu/library/images/librarian.jpg)

superfrank
11/07/2007, 9:57 PM
There is one ad right now I love. The Ballyfree turkey ad with the two foxes.

"If we're going to keep him, he's got to be neutered."

"I think it'd be worth it Frankie." :D Classic.

I can't stand the Cillit Bang, Rabo Direct or Halifax ones.

Paddyfield
11/07/2007, 10:04 PM
Daft Dave really ****es on my Corn Flakes.

I actually hate him.

KoemansCC
12/07/2007, 3:22 AM
Any UK ad for car insurance/health insurance/pet insurance/double glazing windows especially this one......

"you buy one, you get free....I said you buy one, you get free"

and those Admiral, Churchill, Hastings Direct ads (1066)...

...and don't get me started on ringtone ads....

"ring, ring, ring....bananaphone" anyone

Lionel Ritchie
12/07/2007, 8:11 AM
Daft Dave really ****es on my Corn Flakes.

I actually hate him.

...thankfully haven't heard them in a while but I thought they got more putrid as they progressed.

If you ever hear the very first ones again he sounds like a short tempered eccentric. In the subsequent ones it appears there's a concerted drive to make him sound more and more -to use an old fashioned term -handicapped.

Funny, funny guys.:rolleyes:

anto1208
12/07/2007, 8:32 AM
The Bud ad with all the screaming is even worse than the one where they drag **** behind them . HAte the Heiniken ones HArvey Norman , cilit Bang any ads that just shout at you .

But what really gets me is just at dinner time im sitting down to my grub and on comes an ad for Thrush " this cream stops the itching and burning ", then periods , panty liners etc i mean what the hell is going on down there ??:D

Peadar
12/07/2007, 10:53 AM
... then periods , panty liners etc i mean what the hell is going on down there ??:D

There's an ad for a female sanitary prooduct at the moment, where this hottie is walking around in her smalls. Seriously fit!