PDA

View Full Version : Half-season Predictions

Pages : [1] 2

JC_GUFC
10/07/2007, 11:31 PM
With half the season gone it would be interesting to see what people now predict for the end of the season.

For me and probably everyone else the biggest surprise has been how well Rovers have done. They've harldy strenghtened their squad from last season and now have to be considered serious title contenders.

I think what could decide the league though, is whether Roy O'D actually leaves Cork, there's been a lot of talk about it but as yet nothing has happened and there must be a good chance that he'll finish the season with Cork. If he does I think Cork will be very close to Drogheda.

At the other end I'd say even the most diehard Longford fan would admit they're gone.
The rest of the teams towards the wrong end are all very evenly matched. Galway, Bray and Waterford have all added to their squads so far but UCD, who are only 3 points, haven't. I think it will be very close but that Waterford will end up in the playoff.

1. Drogs
2. Cork
3. Bohs
4. Pat's
5. Rovers
6. Derry
7. Sligo
8. UCD
9. Galway
10. Bray
11. Waterford
12. Longford

Division 1

1. Dundalk
2. Cobh
3. Harps
4. Limerick
5. Shels
6. Kildare
7. Athlone
8. Monaghan
9. Wexford
10. Kilkenny

DmanDmythDledge
10/07/2007, 11:43 PM
1. Cork
2. Drogs
3. Bohs
4. Pats
5. Rovers
6. Derry
7. Bray
8. UCD
9. Sligo
10. Galway
11. Waterford
12. Longford

Division 1

1. Dundalk
2. Cobh
3. Harps
4. Limerick
5. Kildare
6. Athlone
7. Shels
8. Monaghan
9. Wexford
10. Kilkenny

Agree with JC that Cork need O'Donovan. 12 out of 19 of Cork's league goals have been scored by him. Drogs are a poor a team from what I've seem from them but they are getting the results. Bohs are similar to Drogheda but not as good. Pats have a few quality players but they are over reliant on Fahey and Quigley. It will be very tight between the top 5 at the end of the season.

Dr.Nightdub
11/07/2007, 12:01 AM
Reckon it'll finish the same as it is now - Rovers maybe ahead of Bohs but apart from that, no change. Biggest factor will be squad size - Drogheda can carry a lot of injuries / suspensions, but I doubt Bohs or Rovers can and I know for a fact we can't.

BillyG
11/07/2007, 12:10 AM
wouldn't really argue with those tables....still think drogs can only lose it this year. Cork and derry to come on strong in last third, rovers and pats to struggle to hold places at top table but still finish head of Bohs as they are really mid table rubbish and longford gone with galway/waterford joining them. That leaves UCD, sligo ,bray in "who cares land"

Rovers fan
11/07/2007, 12:17 AM
1 Bohs
2 Drogs
3 Pats
4 Cork
5 Rovers
6 Derry
7 sligo
8 ucd
9 galway
10 bray
11 waterford
12 longford

cup winners:sligo

dcfcsteve
11/07/2007, 12:35 AM
There is no way City will finish 6th.

We will get stronger and Rovers will fade. Cork will blow hot and cold, as will Bohs. Pats will stay steady, minus the odd blip, but Drogs will finally be Champions.

Longford are fecked....

dfx-
11/07/2007, 12:50 AM
Rovers are already going through significant injuries and coming out with the three points so I'm not convinced why everyone thinks we *will* fade...

jebus
11/07/2007, 12:59 AM
1. Bohs
2. Cork
3. Drogs
4. Pats
5. Rovers
6. Derry
7. UCD
8. Sligo
9. Bray
10. Waterford
11. Galway
12. Longford

1 Dundalk
2 Cobh
3 Limerick
4 Harps
5 Athlone
6 Shelbourne
7 Kildare
8 Monaghan
9 Kilkenny
10 Wexford

Olander
11/07/2007, 1:05 AM
1.Drogs
2.Pats
3.Bohs
4.Cork
5.Derry
6.Rovers
7.UCD
8.Sligo
9.Bray
10.Galway
11.Waterford
12.Longford

1.Dundalk
2.Cobh
3.Finn Harps
4.Limerick
5.Shels
6.Athlone
7.Kildare
8.Monaghan
9.Wexford
10.Kilkenny

niallsparky
11/07/2007, 2:10 AM
1. Bohs
2. Cork
3. Drogs
4. Pats
5. Rovers
6. Derry
7. UCD
8. Sligo
9. Bray
10. Waterford
11. Galway
12. Longford

1 Dundalk
2 Cobh
3 Limerick
4 Harps
5 Athlone
6 Shelbourne
7 Kildare
8 Monaghan
9 Kilkenny
10 Wexford

That's kind.

Risteard
11/07/2007, 2:20 AM
Thinking of throwing a few quid on City for the league.
If Healy and arROygant play 16 each of the last 18 I'd be really confident.
Could even challenge if Roy leaves last day of the season but is replaced by some lightning quick ex-high profile 31 year old who could build a good partnership with JOF.
Drogheda have had a great team for quite a few years now though. Doolin would want to **** things up quite royally imo.
If he does (1-0s turn to 0-0s or 1-1s), there will be somebody there to pounce.
I think we're in for an exciting finish though.

Sam Savic
11/07/2007, 2:40 AM
My money's on Bohs to finish the strongest.

jebus
11/07/2007, 2:40 AM
That's kind.

I'd rather ye win the league than the rest so there you go

Celdrog
11/07/2007, 5:24 AM
The Drogs injury crisis appears to be coming to an end. In the next two weeks we will have Richie Baker and Simon Webb back. In the next six weeks we will have Jason Gavin, Ollie Cahill and supposedly Fabio back playing.

The mindset appears to be finally right this year and I think we will do it.

My prediction
1. Drogs
2. Bohs
3. Pats
4. Cork
5. Rovers

Cup - Rovers
League Cup - Derry
CL - Madrid
UEFA - Spurs

GreenStar
11/07/2007, 7:34 AM
Cup - Rovers
League Cup - Derry
CL - Madrid
UEFA - Spurs

Would be some trick to see Rovers win the Cup since they were knocked out at the 2nd Round by sligo. By the way who cares about CL and UEFA? They have no bearing on the eircom League so are insignificant to me.

Sam_Heggy
11/07/2007, 8:03 AM
Would be some trick to see Rovers win the Cup since they were knocked out at the 2nd Round by sligo. By the way who cares about CL and UEFA? They have no bearing on the eircom League so are insignificant to me.

There was me thinking there was a SLIGO ROVERS in the league too. :rolleyes:

Sam_Heggy
11/07/2007, 8:07 AM
1.St Pats
2.Drogheda
3.Cork
4.Bohs
5.Derry
6.Shamrock rovers
7.UCD
8.Sligo
9. Galway
10.Bray
11.Waterford
12.Longford

1.Dundalk
2.Harps
3.Cobh
4.Limerick
5.Shels
6.Athlone
7.Kildare
8.Monaghan
9.Wexford
10.Kilkenny

cup: Pats
Lcup: UCD

sonofstan
11/07/2007, 8:21 AM
We're not going to win the league and neither are Pat's or Rovers -

It'll be something like this
1) Drogs
2) Cork
3) Bohs
4) Pats
5) Derry
6)Rovers
7) Sligo
8) Bray
9) Waterford
10)UCD
11)Galway
12)Longford

green-blood
11/07/2007, 9:01 AM
lovely, not one prediction over 5th for rovers and a good few predicting 6th.

suits me fine :-)

green army
11/07/2007, 9:05 AM
Think its drogs to lose.Pats will fade as will rovers.bohs not pretty to watch but getting results and could push drogs.

1. Drogs
2. Bohs
3. Pats
4. Cork
5. Shamrock

sfc red
11/07/2007, 9:09 AM
1. Drogheda
2. Cork
3. Bohs
4. Derry
5. Pats
6. Rovers
7. Sligo
8. UCD
9. Bray
10. Galway
11. Waterford
12. Longford

1. Dundalk
2. Harps
3. Cobh
4. L37
5. Shels
6. Athlone
7. Kildare
8. Monaghan
9. Wexford
10. Kilkenny

galwayhoop
11/07/2007, 9:28 AM
i reckon Cork are going to be very close this year. with their games/s in hand and they are a very strong side as i saw last night. the likes of kearney, o,donovan, gamble and now healy they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Neish
11/07/2007, 9:31 AM
1. Drogheda
2. Cork
3. Bohs
4. Pats
5. Rovers
6. Sligo
7. UCD
8. Bray
9. Galway
10. Waterford
11. Longford
12 Derry

1.Harps
2. Dundalk
3. Cobh
4. L37
5. Shels
6. Athlone
7. Kildare
8. Monaghan
9. Wexford
10. Kilkenny

Ah Sh*t I forgot Carlsberg don't do Eircom League ;)

bellavistaman
11/07/2007, 9:50 AM
Cobh
Dundalk
Limerick
Harps
Shels
Kildare
Athlone
Wexford
Monaghan
Kilkenny

Drogheda win league.
Cork City win cup.

sfc red
11/07/2007, 10:12 AM
i reckon Cork are going to be very close this year. with their games/s in hand and they are a very strong side as i saw last night. the likes of kearney, o,donovan, gamble and now healy they will be a force to be reckoned with.

Kearney is muck.

pete
11/07/2007, 10:15 AM
I think Roy O'Donovan will stay with us until the end of the season as I don't see big enough offer coming in tempt us to sell him. There is a lot more confidence after the 3 "new" signings & if we can keep a clean sheet every now & then can still win the league as our 2 games in hand are likely to yield 6 points.

The league is there for Drogs to lose. They bare in good form at the moment but have been playing bottom of the table sides. Of the top 5 teams Drogs have the worst record in games between those sides - only 5 points from 5 games.

Jerry The Saint
11/07/2007, 10:16 AM
cup: Pats

Hahahahaha :D You lunatic! That should be an automatic banning right there. :)

Has to be Drogs' year. If they don't do it now they will be up against stronger Pats, Bohs, Derry and possibly (if they can keep RO'D) Cork teams next year.

Don't agree with people who think Pats will fade - I think we are fading :o but a big factor in the rest of the season will be how the new signings fit in. I think we may continue to struggle for a while but hopefully pick things up and start to come good again towards the end (maybe after Kerr takes over officially?). No-one can know for sure how good the new players are or how they will adapt to the league. If Ndo ever comes back and hits top form this will also make a big difference.

Shamrock fans shouldn't be annoyed that some people still don't see them as contenders - they are in a very surprising position and, generally, you would expect a part-time, less-experienced team to slip back over the course of a full season. Fair play if they keep it up though - it's already been a great achievement for one of the newcomers to the big time.

1. Drogheda
2. Cork
3. Pats
4. Bohs
5. Sh. Rovers
6. Derry
7. UCD
8. Sl. Rovers
9. Bray
10. Galway
11. Waterford
12. Longford

1. Dundalk
2. Cobh
3. L37
4. Harps
5. Athlone
6. Kildare
7. Monaghan
8. Wexford
9. Kilkenny
10. Shels

sonofstan
11/07/2007, 10:21 AM
one of the newcomers to the big time.

:D

Very good

Midgit
11/07/2007, 10:22 AM
1. Drogs
2. Cork
3. Bohs
4. Derry
5. St. Pats
6. Shams
7. Galway
8. Sligo Rovers
9. UCD
10. Bray
11. Waterford
12. Longford

Cup: Sligo Rovers
League Cup: Derry City

WeAreRovers
11/07/2007, 10:23 AM
lovely, not one prediction over 5th for rovers and a good few predicting 6th.

suits me fine :-)

Loving it too. We're missing our captain and our keeper and are still winning and not conceding. But hey, keep underestimating us, as GB says, suits us fine. Anyway, the League is Drogheda's to lose.

KOH

clownboy
11/07/2007, 10:28 AM
1. Cork
2.Shamrock Rovers
3. Drogs
4.Pats
5.Bohs
6.Derry
7.Sligo
8.UCD
9.BRAY
10.wATERFORD
11.Galway
12.Longford

I think Cork will come strong and rovers will not lose many more from now and the end of season and will win most of their home games.Not overly impressed with Bohs but they are very solid.I think Galway are a better team than Waterford and certainly play better football..But Waterford will grind out results with there physical approach Forcing Galway to play off

1st Division
1.Dundalk
2.Cobh
3.Limerick
4.Harps
5.Shels
6.Athlone
7.Kildare
8.Wexford
9.Monaghon
10.Kilkenny

sfc red
11/07/2007, 10:35 AM
10. Shels

And you'll win the cup :D

swano
11/07/2007, 10:48 AM
Reckon it'll finish the same as it is now - Rovers maybe ahead of Bohs but apart from that, no change. Biggest factor will be squad size - Drogheda can carry a lot of injuries / suspensions, but I doubt Bohs or Rovers can and I know for a fact we can't.

Obviously had an early night last night Doc and missed our 2-0 win that put us back into 3rd:p

If Drogs don't win the league Doolin should be sacked. They're top at the mid way point despite having a lengthy injury list. With big names due back I can't see them being caught.

Cork should be the nearest challengers but a lot will depend on ROD. I don't agree with the majority who reckon Rovers will fade. I'd expect the opposite from a Scully team although we won't be competing in the transfer market and have a tough fixture list with Derry, Cork, Bohs and Pats away twice over the season.

Drogs
Cork
Pats
Rovers
Bohs
Derry
UCD
Sligo
Bray
Galway
Waterford
Longford

gufcfan
11/07/2007, 10:51 AM
1. Drogs
2. Cork
3. Bohs
4. Derry
5. St. Pats
6. Shams
7. Galway
8. Sligo Rovers
9. UCD
10. Bray
11. Waterford
12. Longford

Cup: Sligo Rovers

Galway in 7th would surprise me

GreenStar
11/07/2007, 11:00 AM
There was me thinking there was a SLIGO ROVERS in the league too. :rolleyes:

No, that's sligo. I mentioned them.

bohsmug
11/07/2007, 11:56 AM
If Drogs don't win the league Doolin should be sacked.

Without doubt. I don't rate him but Drogheda really should win the league this year. I've given up trying to be objective about this league, I'm just too involved. For some reason I think Bohs will win the league but nobody else does so we probably wont. I'm the type of fan that bookies make money off.:mad:

I think Galway could have a good run at some stage. It always helps to have someone that can score goals. Cork and Derry are also capable of putting an impressive run together. Cork can definitely win the league this year. I think it's really setting itself up nicely for a great finish.

galwayhoop
11/07/2007, 12:01 PM
Kearney is muck.

he was class last night. he has a proven pedigree imo even if he didn't perform while at brewster's millions

KevB76
11/07/2007, 12:14 PM
1.Dundalk
2.Limerick 37
3.Cobh
4.Harps
5.Shels
6.Athlone
7.Kildare
8.Monaghan
9.Wexford
10.Kilkenny

TonyD
11/07/2007, 12:20 PM
Lots of people writing Pats off I see. I know we've had a couple of blips, but we're still right up there, and could conceiveably be back on top on Sunday. I don't see us finishing outside the top three, and I still think we could win it.

bellavistaman
11/07/2007, 12:21 PM
1.Dundalk
2.Limerick 37
3.Cobh
4.Harps
5.Shels
6.Athlone
7.Kildare
8.Monaghan
9.Wexford
10.Kilkenny

Not a hope Kev, no way!! Hope ts cobh limerick in the playoff would be great game, biggest Cobh Limerick since the munster cup and we owe ye.

KevB76
11/07/2007, 12:29 PM
Not a hope Kev, no way!! Hope ts cobh limerick in the playoff would be great game, biggest Cobh Limerick since the munster cup and we owe ye.

This weekend will give us a good picture of who'll finish where at the top.
See you in Limerick for the play-off :D

bellavistaman
11/07/2007, 12:34 PM
This weekend will give us a good picture of who'll finish where at the top.
See you in Limerick for the play-off :D

Ok bud, you'll prob miss the match though stayn in limerick!

Jaime
11/07/2007, 1:19 PM
To be honest, Drogheda haven't impressed me a whole lot this season but they're obviously top of the league for a reason, and you'd have to think they can only win it or bottle it from here. Cork probably impressed me more than Drogheda, but I can only be cautious hyping up a team who have lost 4-1 in Sligo, O'Donovan or no O'Donovan.

new blue
11/07/2007, 1:21 PM
1. Dundalk
2. Cobh
3. L37
4. Harps
5. Athlone
6. Kildare
7. Monaghan
8. Wexford
9. Kilkenny
10. Shels
WeXford Youths to finish in top half of table - probably fifth.

bellavistaman
11/07/2007, 1:24 PM
Wthout sounding like a smart ass y didnt you put them 5th so

CJTheGull
11/07/2007, 1:44 PM
1. Drogs
2. Pat's
3. Cork
4. Bohs
5. Derry
6. Shamrock
7. Sligo
8. Bray
9. UCD
10. Galway
11. Waterford
12. Longford

FAI Cup: St.Pat's

First Div:
1. Dundalk
2. Cobh
3. Limerick

Haven't been too impressed with Drogs to be honest but Pat's are too unpredictable losing to the likes of Galway and Waterford already. Bray have a good side and should be better (just about) than the other teams down there. Derry will also improve but poor Longford they are fecked and they will probably not return to the top flight for some time. Survival of the fittest and all that.

Risteard
11/07/2007, 1:59 PM
To be fair,when any of the contenders play the cack teams, Drogheda are the only ones, you'd be 95% confident in not ****ing up.

dcfcsteve
11/07/2007, 2:32 PM
1. Drogheda
2. Cork
3. Bohs
4. Pats
5. Rovers
6. Sligo
7. UCD
8. Bray
9. Galway
10. Waterford
11. Longford
12 Derry

1.Harps
2. Dundalk
3. Cobh
4. L37
5. Shels
6. Athlone
7. Kildare
8. Monaghan
9. Wexford
10. Kilkenny

Ah Sh*t I forgot Carlsberg don't do Eircom League ;)

No - but it looks like Disney have just brought out a Mickey Mouse one for you...... :D

ndrog
11/07/2007, 3:31 PM
To be honest, Drogheda haven't impressed me a whole lot this season but they're obviously top of the league for a reason, and you'd have to think they can only win it or bottle it from here. Cork probably impressed me more than Drogheda, but I can only be cautious hyping up a team who have lost 4-1 in Sligo, O'Donovan or no O'Donovan.

We have had a feckin nightmare with injuries and are still at the top of the leauge .If we can get some of the injured back then we should go on and win it .Rumours going round hell ( UCD ) on earth on friday night was that Jason gavin and Fabio are due to return much sooner that expected , and if we can get Richie Baker and Ollie Cahil playing we will have a strong squad for the run in :)

ciaraa
11/07/2007, 3:34 PM
To be fair,when any of the contenders play the cack teams, Drogheda are the only ones, you'd be 95% confident in not ****ing up.

Wouldnt totally agree with you there Risteard, they got away with it bigtime against an awful UCD team. Couple this with dropped points at home to Longford etc. and the Drogs are not very well equipped. So much depends on Fabio coming back its scary. Sami is doing brilliantly at the minute (he's by far the best footballer at the club) but he cant do it alone.
I wonder about the people on this MB that keep saying its Drogs league to lose. I seriously hope none of them have seen them play or they wouldn't say that. Very limited team under Doolin and its only the fact that the league is a poor standard this season that its close up there.
As for the big names coming back - its only Fabio and Gavin that'll make that much difference.

Prem: Cork
UEFA: Drogs
Intertoto: Shams
1st: Cobh
FAI Cup: Limerick
League Cup: Derry
Promoted: Finn Harps