PDA

View Full Version : Book:who stole our game

StarandCrescent
10/07/2007, 11:45 AM
Sorry if this is inappropriate, mods move or delete if you want

If any one wants a second hand copy of the above book for a euro I have it up on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.ie/Who-stole-our-game-league-of-ireland-eircom-league_W0QQitemZ330145785565QQihZ014QQcategoryZ301 31QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

CJTheGull
10/07/2007, 1:40 PM
It's a great read for anyone interested in the demise of the domestic game and I would highly recommend it. Loads of different things to blame but I personally think the League is definitely improving so onwards and upwards etc.

razor
10/07/2007, 1:50 PM
Right in the middle of it at the moment, a tad too Dublin centric but not a bad read so far.

bad mongo
10/07/2007, 1:58 PM
Right in the middle of it at the moment, a tad too Dublin centric but not a bad read so far.

I personally thought it was a poor effort-thrown together and not properly sub-editied or researched. I would give the benefit of the doubt to the author that it was put together in a hurry but it was an opportunity missed to write the definitive book on the demise of the domestic game.

Calcio Jack
10/07/2007, 2:31 PM
I personally thought it was a poor effort-thrown together and not properly sub-editied or researched. I would give the benefit of the doubt to the author that it was put together in a hurry but it was an opportunity missed to write the definitive book on the demise of the domestic game.

Agree it's crap, here the quick version

1920's to 1960's huge crowds , Rovers were the kingpins

1970's to present, people got richer bought colour tv's and started to watch Match of the day and Big Match .... crowds got smaller , and through out that period taxi -drivers have remained consistently boring.... don't bother to send on the €1 give it to charity.

monutdfc
10/07/2007, 2:39 PM
The thing that really annoyed me about that book was the constant reference to The Big Match showing live English games on a Sunday afternoon from the late 1960's onwards. That is quite simply not true. The Big Match was a poor man's Match of the Day showing highlights of the Saturday's games watched by kids like me who were not allowed stay up for Match of the Day; live games on a Sunday did not start until the mid-80's.

NY Hoop
10/07/2007, 2:50 PM
Average stuff really. Any knowledgeable EL fan could have written it. He was interviewed recently in some sunday paper and to say he is in love with the sunderland manager would be a mild understatement. Sums him up.

KOH

fbtn
10/07/2007, 3:09 PM
Not being smart but why bother for the sake of a quid?

A face
10/07/2007, 5:12 PM
I thought it was a great read given that no other book out there that i know of covers the topic. The mismanagement in Irish Football in the last century was criminal and no one spoke up about it.

THERE AREN'T ENOUGH BOOKS OUT THERE DOCUMENTING IT

Any knowledgeable eL fan could of written it? Man, i think there aren't that many knowledgeable eL fans out there so.

The FAI gestapo now are given free reign and are stamping out any possible chance of us finding out what actually happens.

There should be at least one strong, well researched, no pulling punches book every year to let us know what exactly is going on in the domestic game. We are luck if there is one every ten years.

We are seriously in need of a good, finger on the pulse magazine that documents everything in Irish football. And if one does come along eL fans should get up of their ásses and get out there and support it.

For anyone to criticize that book, given the media coverage that this league and national sport is not given beggars belief in my opinion. Anything that can layout the series of events in the last 40 years and help people to piece the god awful mess together SURELY has to get everyones vote??

We have nothing now. NOTHING ..... cant say a word on the programmes or websites, print media is so hit and miss its not worth talking about. Radio, while being fairly good at times, never gets close to take the bull be the horns and demand proper administration. We dont have TV coverage.

Step back and look at it people ...... if there was one fault with that book its the fact it didn't single people out and ask for the death penalty for them.

paudie
10/07/2007, 5:34 PM
The fact that Ollie Byrne is quoted a few times in the book and is referred to in a generally positive light says a lot really, even without the benefit of hindsight.

Probably is worth €5 if you see it in a bargain bin though.

Neish
10/07/2007, 5:59 PM
The fact that Ollie Byrne is quoted a few times in the book and is referred to in a generally positive light says a lot really, even without the benefit of hindsight.

Probably is worth €5 if you see it in a bargain bin though.

Well thats put me off it. Who can put that h*re in a positive light? He must of wrote it himself

pete
10/07/2007, 7:58 PM
If the league is starved of books about it then this is good but if you judge against sports or other football books this is an average effort.

There is a reasonable history of the league but it seems to be taken from a lot of other sources. There is too little of the book dedicated to the 80s and 90s.

StarandCrescent
10/07/2007, 8:44 PM
Not being smart but why bother for the sake of a quid?

i'll answer your question, perhaps someone here would like to read it - better that focking it in the bin or collecting dust on a shelf.

declan hide
10/07/2007, 8:58 PM
i'll take it off you. send me a pm.

sfc red
11/07/2007, 3:39 PM
Well thats put me off it. Who can put that h*re in a positive light? He must of wrote it himself

Must have. Lay off the guy FFS, football is football - the man isn't in a good condition.

John83
12/07/2007, 12:58 PM
Must have. Lay off the guy FFS, football is football - the man isn't in a good condition.
Neither is the club he ran into the ground while driving wage inflation in a financially unstable league.