PDA

View Full Version : GUFC v Cork City

Pages : [1] 2

Tir Oilean
09/07/2007, 9:25 AM
Its been eerily quiet here in the run up to the city match maybe everyone went to Oxygen! I reckon we have a chance in this one. And god only knows what the team is gonna be, there are quite a few options for TC once more. I'll take a 1-0 scoreline with Mensah to score the winner. We really need to get something from this game to keep in touch with the teams ahead of us. Also if we win we'll have a chance of putting some daylight between ourselves and Waterford when we play them in a few weeks.

GavinZac
09/07/2007, 9:27 AM
0-3

Its unlucky for galway as when word gets out of how good Healy is, he's going to be putting 1,000 through other team's gates.

gufct
09/07/2007, 9:30 AM
I have a good feeling about this one anything nil will do for me. As for Gavin Zac one game played and suddenly Cork are worldbeaters again.One of our 2 nippy forwards to score and Murph to move to the right wing and have a stormer.

MyTown
09/07/2007, 9:50 AM
The word from Turners Cross is that Healy was phenomenal against the Swedes and that Farrelly also did well.

Let's just hope our new lads deliver to the same extent, if they're selected.

I'd expect Fagan & Mensah to start. Mensah because SO'F has still got a dodgy ankle. For me Robson was the most impressive of the new lads last week, but can't see Murphs making way.

Should be a reasonable attendance with no counter attractions and school holidays in full swing.

Very quiet up there for the last few games. We badly need a home win. When will it come?

corbyeire
09/07/2007, 10:42 AM
home win has to come some time!

Tir Oilean
09/07/2007, 11:09 AM
Farrelly and Healy have been eating all the pies from the pics I saw from their first game for City. It'll be good to see some former interationals gracing the fine sod of Terryland but i'll be hoping that they leave with no points.

gufct
09/07/2007, 11:13 AM
Really need the supporters to be up for it like the Shams Game.So loads of Noise and Colour lets see all the flags up again and all those maroon and white jerseys worn with pride.

GavinZac
09/07/2007, 11:16 AM
Farrelly and Healy have been eating all the pies from the pics I saw from their first game for City. It'll be good to see some former interationals gracing the fine sod of Terryland but i'll be hoping that they leave with no points.

Perhaps you just mean Farrelly but believe me, Colin Healy is no Mark Herrick ;)

Claret Murph
09/07/2007, 12:03 PM
Yer i have a really good feeling about this also , I am going for 1-0 Glynn to score in 64th minute . I would say it will be backs to the wall stuff in the last 10 minutes , it must be years since we beat Cork in Terryland :mad::ball::mad:

GuisaSaigon
09/07/2007, 12:29 PM
3-1 United

Pablo Escobar
09/07/2007, 12:38 PM

When did they retire?

Tir Oilean
09/07/2007, 1:13 PM
Ya there is another thread elsewhere on foot discussing the merits of calling them ex internationals etc. but we tend not to be very pedantic on our forum. Doubt Farrelly is goin to get a call up anyway whatever about Healy.

Tir Oilean
09/07/2007, 1:15 PM
Perhaps you just mean Farrelly but believe me, Colin Healy is no Mark Herrick ;)

Ya i think your right there he had a fair sized gut on him for a fully pro player but i'm sure he's still able to move around.

MyTown
09/07/2007, 1:49 PM
When did they retire?

I think their respective last outings for Ireland makes it reasonable to describe them as ex internationals - that doesn't mean they haven't a big contribution to make to Cork City - it just means their international careers are over......retired or not.

I'm happy for any player who makes a come back from the series of injuries Healy has had. And they both deserve decent runs in the first team for what they've been put through via the 3-club rule.

micls
09/07/2007, 1:55 PM
it just means their international careers are over

I would nt speak so soon...about Healy anyway

inthestand99
09/07/2007, 4:36 PM
Good stuff coming up over the next few weeks. 2mro, Sligo on Saturday and then Bray and Waterford soon after that. Bray play 2nite also. Now is the time!!!!!!

Pablo Escobar
09/07/2007, 4:42 PM
I think their respective last outings for Ireland makes it reasonable to describe them as ex internationals - that doesn't mean they haven't a big contribution to make to Cork City - it just means their international careers are over......retired or not.

I'm happy for any player who makes a come back from the series of injuries Healy has had. And they both deserve decent runs in the first team for what they've been put through via the 3-club rule.
I will almost guarantee you that if Healy stays injury free, his international career is NOT over!

Paddyfield
09/07/2007, 7:59 PM
I will almost guarantee you that if Healy stays injury free, his international career is NOT over!

Is he still U21?

Only kidding. I 'd love to see LOI players make the senior squad more often.

Paddyfield
09/07/2007, 8:02 PM
For me Robson was the most impressive of the new lads last week, but can't see Murphs making way.

I heard that Robson's nickname is Smoggy because he is from Middlesborough which is nicknamed Smog Town. :D

Pablo Escobar
09/07/2007, 9:35 PM
Is he still U21?

Only kidding. I 'd love to see LOI players make the senior squad more often.
All jokes aside, just turned 27!

Angelic Upstart
09/07/2007, 10:27 PM
Just to say, after almost two years living in Galway, this will be my first ever attendence at Terryland. I'm well looking forward to it.

eamo1
09/07/2007, 10:48 PM
i hope you enjoy the game tomorrow,just dont be expecting champions league standard football that most ppl when they come for the first time expect.enjoy it though,because you never forget your first time:D.
at the rovers game a few weeks ago you could sense the nervousness in the crowd in the last few mins,nobody felt like singing and celebrating for obvious reasons.those nerves can then go onto the pitch and affect the players.we just so badly need one home win to take some of that away.

Angelic Upstart
10/07/2007, 1:56 AM
I just want to see an entertaining match, and I'm anticipating a good'un.

Tir Oilean
10/07/2007, 8:35 AM
Welcome to Foot Angelic Upstart! Hopefully you'll catch the bug and make the games from now on. I'm even considering travelling from Cork for the game tonight thats how much the bug can catch you!!:)

corbyeire
10/07/2007, 9:36 AM
seems like keane wont be starting

http://www.galwayunitedfc.ie/match-previews/team-news-galway-united-v-cork-city.html

pete
10/07/2007, 10:20 AM
I think Gamble is injured for us so only 2 Ireland senior Internationals in midfield tonight.

Some fans might be a bit over the top on the qualities of Healy but watch out for him as he will prove to be very good addition to the league. Not sure how ling he will stay but enjoy him while you can...

GuisaSaigon
10/07/2007, 9:53 PM
2-1 Cork United lead 1-0 at half time through a Derek O'Brien header. Roy o Donovan got two second half Goals for Cork. The first was gifted to them by a terrible mix up between collie james and regi. Fagan and Robson both started in midfield and looked really good Vinny Faherty came on towards the end and was lively enough. Tom the Gom was one of about 3000 attendees.

Paddyfield
10/07/2007, 10:10 PM
Kearney was outsatanding for City but let himself down with his childish gestures towards the fans in section A after full time.

Reilly had his best game ever for GUFC but Rogers' kick outs were poor. Maybe he's used to a Gale force winds and was distracted by the calmness. :eek:

inthestand99
10/07/2007, 10:14 PM
:ball::pLeft Terryland at 10.30 and Tom the gom was still there! Not what we were really looking for tonight. Shocking mix up between C.J. and Reggie. Still there were a lot of positives. Robson, Fagan fitted in well. Murphs workes his b....x off and Derek took his goal well. He got in some really good crosses tonite. Forever the optomist, thats me!!!! Bring on the SHLIGO!

Claret Murph
11/07/2007, 6:43 AM
Well again we are taking about the if buts and maybe's but the bottom line Cork were far the better team and deserved all 3 points , now if only we could have taken more than one chance in the first half oh how different it could have been .

Tir Oilean
11/07/2007, 7:03 AM
Barry put in his best effort so far this season and bar testing the keeper with a great effort in the first half he still wasnt up for it. I got the feeling he knows the game is up with the arrival of Mensah. Why the **** does red tape constantly screw up players chances of playing? Mensah was clearly dejected sitting in front of the clubhouse last night. Glynn had 2 0r 3 chances but he was well out powered by the physical defence. Robson was a bit nervy I felt but still performed reasonably well. Another disappointment and in front of our largest crowd of the season according to the PA of 3072, why does it always happen!?!

gufct
11/07/2007, 8:47 AM
I know ill probably get slated for this but our support was brilliant when we were winning but the minute Cork equalised even the fans gave up with the drums going silent. I said yesterday we needed the team and supporters to be up for it. We are going to go through periods where things dont go our way and its then the team needs the supporters we have it at all the away games this year but at home the nervousness from the crowd seems to seep into the Team.

Real ale Madrid
11/07/2007, 9:03 AM
Throughly enjoyed the game last night lads - ye have a fine set-up there now, keep it going.

Thanks as well to the lads and lassies in Foxes pub b4 the game for the chips, sausages - and directions!

MyTown
11/07/2007, 9:09 AM
I agree with Claret. Cork deserved the 3 points no question.

We didn't do enough in the second half, and needed to build on the first goal when we were on top.

The lads worked hard, but the mistake for the equaliser was very very amateur.

Kearney is a pup but he was class for me and Kelly and Murray had a very easy time of it despite an excellent supply from Derek O'Brien especially in the second half.

Brilliant support. A huge contingent from Claremorris, and a very good atmosphere generally. All connections deserve great credit for putting bums on seats with their various initiatives, but the CPO has been particularly successful in this regard IMO.

Galway Harps comments about the midweek being more attractive in the summer rings true for me. There were quite a few tourists coming through the turnstiles last night.

Maybe it took a visit from Tom Symonds to finally give the blessing to our "promotion", and things will pick up on the field from here?

Paul Cook, Gerry Carr (?) and Raf Cretaro came on a spying mission. They were in great form and well up for a bit of craic. Rightly or wrongly I've written off the Showgrounds already. Bray and Wateford at home and the trip to College is when our "little league" will be decided.

gilberto_eire
11/07/2007, 11:53 AM
Kearney was outsatanding for City but let himself down with his childish gestures towards the fans in section A after full time.

Reilly had his best game ever for GUFC but Rogers' kick outs were poor. Maybe he's used to a Gale force winds and was distracted by the calmness. :eek:

you mustnt know much about been a center-back...a good center back isnt supposed to be onymous as you can see with reggie flying left,right and center with tacles/headers!!....he got his head to one or two crosses but that was it.

Demoshield
11/07/2007, 2:08 PM
I know ill probably get slated for this but our support was brilliant when we were winning but the minute Cork equalised even the fans gave up with the drums going silent. I said yesterday we needed the team and supporters to be up for it. We are going to go through periods where things dont go our way and its then the team needs the supporters we have it at all the away games this year but at home the nervousness from the crowd seems to seep into the Team.

The crowd are very quick to come down on players also. There is not a player in the world who doesn't mis control the ball or put passes astray in every single game. Last night you could hear the groan & swearing any time this happened. Players can hear it also and it makes them more nervous imo.

pete
11/07/2007, 2:26 PM
Was not at the game last night but surprise ye down near the foot of the table. I think it might take the 2nd half of the season before the advantages of fulltime training kick in. A couple of home wins should see ye ahead of Waterford & Bray.

gufct
11/07/2007, 3:20 PM
The crowd are very quick to come down on players also. There is not a player in the world who doesn't mis control the ball or put passes astray in every single game. Last night you could hear the groan & swearing any time this happened. Players can hear it also and it makes them more nervous imo.

This is the case with 3 players especially who are the butt of the majoriy of the criticism not always justified while other players can make bigger gaffes and get away with it.

Tir Oilean
11/07/2007, 3:49 PM
I agree GUFCT the mood on the terrace was fairly doom and gloom once the goal went in, but its a natural instinct its part of the ups and downs of watching your team play. There isnt a sport in the world where it doesnt happen.

Tir Oilean
11/07/2007, 3:53 PM
Everybody that I talked to at the match agreed that Reilly had his best game for Utd. Ad he actually came out left on a few occasions to clear the ball. I'm not saying he's much improved he would need consistency for that but certainly his best performance.

gufct
11/07/2007, 4:09 PM
agree on Philip I thought he had a very good game but im afraid hes not Popular with some of our support so he will always get knocked even when he plays well.

Cork are easily the best team we have played this year and I wouldnt write them off as title contenders.

snookerloopy
11/07/2007, 4:27 PM
not a regular in terryland but went last night.Good first half performance.centre halves were solid but wes went astray at left full.Rodgers distribution is shocking.You wouldnt see it in the lower levels of junior football.Robson looks like a prospect.Cork played best football and could keep the ball while also gettting players behind the ball when needed.also the programme was a disgrace. none of the new players named this is unacceptable bar the case of flatherty and while cork have squad numbers no where to mark who was playing and who was benched.

Tir Oilean
11/07/2007, 4:51 PM
Snookerloopy, its difficult enough to be Club CPO never mind be editor of the match and on top of that haul over 3000 into Terryland. I must admit i didnt buy a programme last night but by and large the quality is quite good. I didnt have time to submit an article due to work committments and it would have undoubtedly featured a new player. I promise I'll have the new lads featured in the near future so keep on heading up the Dyke Rd.

Patrick Dunne
11/07/2007, 5:10 PM
The new players were pictured, featured in a article, and listed under player sponsors. They were omitted from the players list.

snookerloopy, this is hardly "unacceptable". It is a small error which will be
rectified for the next game.

Would you be interested in helping out with the programme yourself, snookerloopy ? An hour a fortnight would do the trick - I'm sure that there is
something interesting topic you could write about.

Conor H
11/07/2007, 5:42 PM
agree on Philip I thought he had a very good game but im afraid hes not Popular with some of our support so he will always get knocked even when he plays well.

Cork are easily the best team we have played this year and I wouldnt write them off as title contenders.

Tommy he's not popular because he's been nothing short of abysmal for the majority of the season.End of.What did he do that you think he had a good game?
Two things i remember were awful.Both in the last 5 minutes when we needed a goal.He walloped the free kick into the waterworks when we had 8 players in the box and he took a shot from 40 yards when we had 4 up front.
His general passing,tackling and committment is poor.He's our 3rd choice left back-and it's obvious.He's a nice lad but he's not up to standard and i really do worry with him marking Cretaro on Saturday!Remember the first game against Sligo?He was dropped the following week.

micls
11/07/2007, 6:47 PM
Hey lads. Last night was my first trip to terryland and got a great welcome.

The 'Merry Fiddler' also gave us free food, the people were friendly, the crowd was good, good atmosphere and obviously happy with the result.

Ye have a good side and will only get stronger next year as benefits of full time kick in.

And new stand looks great btw

Terry
11/07/2007, 7:02 PM
I agree with GUFCT also, Reilly played very well as CB, with himself and regi clearing 100% of the crosses that came in. He also closed down healy and kearney a couple of times when they were about to shoot, forcing them to mi**** the ball and sending it well out of play. Also, like Tir Oilean said, he even covered for Wes down the left when Wes hadnt the legs to get back.

Also, Reilly wasnt dropped after the sligo match. He actually damaged his knee (ligament damage if I remember correctly) in the first training season after the match after going in on a tackle with another player.

Conor H
11/07/2007, 7:09 PM
I agree with GUFCT also, Reilly played very well as CB, with himself and regi clearing 100% of the crosses that came in. He also closed down healy and kearney a couple of times when they were about to shoot, forcing them to mi**** the ball and sending it well out of play. Also, like Tir Oilean said, he even covered for Wes down the left when Wes hadnt the legs to get back.

Also, Reilly wasnt dropped after the sligo match. He actually damaged his knee (ligament damage if I remember correctly) in the first training season after the match after going in on a tackle with another player.

He was on the bench in Cork though AFAIK?
Regardless he hasn't played well in most games this season,including last night IMO.

manofthemoment
11/07/2007, 8:38 PM
good entertaining game well worth the €15. pity we didn't get a result but we will against lesser teams than Cork. I thought we'd be lucky to get 1000 for a mid week game maybe theres more attractions on Friday night and people are more inclined to take in a game midweek especially during school holidays. I hope for a better result in Sligo but can't fault the team for effort.

gilberto_eire
11/07/2007, 9:55 PM
lads reilly didnt play well at center back nor has he ever played well at left-back!.

he had to cover for wes??.... wes was covering for him as reilly wasnt even trusted with kearney. he made 2/3 headers and that was it from my recollection!.

lets just look at the facts... we conceded 2 goals and lost... if we didnt concede then maybe ya could get away with saying he played well!.

in a previous post it was stated that 3 players are constantly slated.... 2 of those(moran and reilly) are of under-11 standard and rightly so.... although i agree the slating of lester is a bit OTT!

GUFCT you told me on the other forum a while back to stop defending dimitri well ill say the same to you about reilly.

dimitri only played 2 games(reilly has a lot more then that under his belt)... the two goals in the sligo game caused by reillys inability to deal with his side!.

all said though the players are(as far as we know) trying there best but there not the one sending themselves out onto the pitch this is down to the management!