PDA

View Full Version : Live Earth

stann
09/07/2007, 8:28 AM
Anyone see anything they liked?
Having dismissed it as a pile of sh*te early in the day when flicking through Enrique Iglesias and the like, the joys of the red button later on made it quite enjoyable, though some of the bands' coverage was woefully short, some just one song, and yet Alicia Keyes was on for about two hours, what was that all about???
The Beastie Boys were just excellent, haven't seen many better performances without being there (if you follow) than 'Sabotage'. Foo Fighters brilliant, Kasabian, Chili Peppers, Wolfmother and Metallica all decent. Madonna surprisingly good, ditto Macy Gray. A bit p!ssed off I missed Bloc Party, and was never staying up for The Police, don't know what they were like.
Highlight, though, of course, was the mighty Spinal Tap! Pure genius!

paul_oshea
09/07/2007, 8:39 AM
what did metallica play and for how long? i wanted to see them yesterday but i could only get tickets for far back of the stadium and i didnt see the point.

endabob1
09/07/2007, 9:27 AM
3 tracks from what I seen, Sad but True, Nothing else matters & Enter Sandman. The bbc cut off Enter Sandman to show some other rubbish but it was available on the interactive jobbie.
Best set of the day from what I seen.

Countyman
09/07/2007, 9:47 AM
Foo Fighters were excellent. Dave Matthews band very good too but the clowns cut his set short to show some pussy cat dolls crap.

Snow Patrol sent me to sleep and that was about 2pm.

stann
09/07/2007, 9:52 AM
3 tracks from what I seen, Sad but True, Nothing else matters & Enter Sandman. The bbc cut off Enter Sandman to show some other rubbish but it was available on the interactive jobbie.

That's right.
Don't know the first track named there, didn't see it shown and not a fan anyway, but they seemed to start with Enter Sandman (great opener in anyone's book) and that and Nothing Else Matters were on at various times through the night on the red button. If I recall right the BBC cut them off for a taped Crowded House song and then Katie Melua! Their coverage really beggared belief at times though.

paul_oshea
09/07/2007, 10:23 AM
they played those songs because the ignorant crowd there would only have known those 3 songs.

Lionel Ritchie
09/07/2007, 11:09 AM
They're all up on youtube Paul ..and were from shortly after they finished.
I didn't see them live but contrary to what Stann says I believe they actually started with Sad But True (which'd make sense as they've to change guitars for it as it has a drop D tuning thing), then Nothing Else Matters and finished with Enter Sandman.

They were okay. I didn't think James Hetfields voice was in great shape to be honest. You don't realise until you actually try singing their stuff that, because most of it is in E minor, a lot of it is actually quite a high register vocally. Anyway this "escape from the studio tour" or whatever it's called might be ill-advised.

Agree on why those three tracks were chosen by the way.
For the subject that the event was (supposedly) about they should've played Blackened.
I don't dislike Nothing Else Matters but that could be a Chicago song. Every time it hits that chorus I can picture Peter Cetera, soft-lit from one side, fists clenched tightly to his chest and staring off into the middle distance like an idiot.

Beastie Boys stole the show from what I saw ...which admittedly wasn't much.

DaveyCakes
09/07/2007, 11:31 AM
The TV coverage was a shambles.

bellavistaman
09/07/2007, 12:15 PM
kelly Clarksons arse is a shambles!! by god is she lettin herself go!

TonyD
09/07/2007, 12:26 PM
I believe they actually started with Sad But True (which'd make sense as they've to change guitars for it as it has a drop D tuning thing),

Swot:D

MojoPin
10/07/2007, 8:39 AM
i was at the nyc show.. roger waters the police kanye west and the s/pumpkins were all excellent... really excellent.. there was two planes flying over the giants stadium constantly with anti al gore message twas quite funny...

Neish
10/07/2007, 9:39 AM
Whatever about the preformance, the idea was a big pile of bo****ks. Heard a report that the Wembely concert alone used more power then
5,000 brits use in a year.

If all they artists cared so much we nor donate a percentage of their album sales?

Jerry The Saint
10/07/2007, 10:45 AM
If all they artists cared so much we nor donate a percentage of their album sales?

Don't think anyone is looking for cash - it's just about raising awareness, etc.

I have to say I loved that Spinal Tap came to an event in honour of energy conservation and brought "every bass player in the known universe" up on stage.

Army of Bass! :D
VJchUEz9IgE

anto1208
10/07/2007, 11:08 AM
Don't think anyone is looking for cash - it's just about raising awareness, etc.

]

There is a Global warming problem first ive heard of it :eek: Why didnt Madonna tell me this before now :mad:

Maybe if Al Gore turned off his heating in the swimming pool ill turn my TV off stand by :D

superfrank
10/07/2007, 11:22 AM
I pride myself on having not watched a single second of Live 8 or Live Earth. I wasn't around for Live Aid.

I don't see why we need to be made aware of global warming. The weather so far this summer will tell you all you need to know about it. And it's highly ironic that they draw attention to global warming and pollution by staging huge energy-consuming concerts in a few different cities around the world. That is highly stupid, imo.

anto1208
10/07/2007, 11:36 AM
I pride myself on having not watched a single second of Live 8 or Live Earth. I wasn't around for Live Aid.

I don't see why we need to be made aware of global warming. The weather so far this summer will tell you all you need to know about it. And it's highly ironic that they draw attention to global warming and pollution by staging huge energy-consuming concerts in a few different cities around the world. That is highly stupid, imo.

And adding loads of trucks to the road to ship the equipment around , and planes to fly the superstars around , Still worth it to see Spinal tap

Dublin12
10/07/2007, 12:02 PM
Everybody in Ireland should hold a one minute spray off of any aerosols they can find,that way we might get some sort of a Summer.

Jerry The Saint
10/07/2007, 2:42 PM
Comment of the day from Chris Rock

I pray that this event ends global warming, the same way that Live Aid ended world hunger...

:D

...like 'Ebony and Ivory' ended racism!

I don't think it was a bad event - bit hypocritical sure, but its heart was probably in the right place.

Don't get me started on that Concert for Diana guff though - apparently 16m+ watched this on BBC the week before. :eek:

paul_oshea
10/07/2007, 2:49 PM
ya the brits are ****s.

btw i like the dig at bob geldof - indirectly i know but still a dig.

bennocelt
10/07/2007, 6:28 PM
The comedien Carr said on BBC, "its important we remember Diana", as a joke to last weeks event

What a joke...............in the same month that Hull and Sheffield were flooded!!!

pete
10/07/2007, 7:48 PM
Originally Posted by Chris Rock
I pray that this event ends global warming, the same way that Live Aid ended world hunger...

I saw a bit around late afternoon when Chris Rock was motherf****r this 'n that. The BBC cut back to Jonathon Ross who had to apologise for the language but also countered with the "...but he is getting some good laughs..." :D

stann
10/07/2007, 9:41 PM
I didn't see them live but contrary to what Stann says I believe they actually started with Sad But True (which'd make sense as they've to change guitars for it as it has a drop D tuning thing), then Nothing Else Matters and finished with Enter Sandman.

Will take your word for it on that Mr Ritchie!. Just assumed Enter Sandman was their first as it was the first I saw and I do think it's a good opener, but between me coming and going and then the way the coverage was handled by the Beeb they could have opened with Hava Nagila for all I'd have known.
I think with concerts like this though each band is almost bound to play a handful of hits as their set, I don't think anyone expects anything else with this kind of thing. Most if not all the acts are there because they're well known as much as anything.

Beastie Boys stole the show from what I saw ...which admittedly wasn't much.

Without doubt. The performance of Sabotage is one of the best things I've seen in a while.