PDA

View Full Version : [rumour] Setanta Cup 11 vs Ireland

kdjaC
08/07/2007, 10:01 PM
http://89.234.66.107/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53555335#post53555335

I havent heard anything about this only the above post....BUT........

What would be the 11 based on this years SSC?

....................Ryan
........Maguire..Brennan...Foley
Murphy...Fahey..Ndo..Kirby.....Frost
..........Quigley.......O Donovan

Subs
Emerson? Dungannon Swifts left winger
????????? Dungannon Swifts striker who scored the 1st goal vs us away....buggered if i know his name.

Somewhat biased :D

kdjac

Brady Bhoy
08/07/2007, 11:24 PM
Agree 100% with that team, except the boy you mentioned for Dungannon, Mark McCallister has to be there instead of O'Donovan:cool:

Celdrog
08/07/2007, 11:33 PM
There would probably have to be a few players from the champions and possibly the other team to make it to the final :D

Brady Bhoy
08/07/2007, 11:36 PM
Tbh McCreavey off Linfield and Zayed of Drogs were top class. Stuey Byrne wasn't bad :mad::D

adamcarr
09/07/2007, 12:05 AM
Joey Gamble has to be in the side or is he in the National team XI.:cool:

dcfcsteve
09/07/2007, 12:16 AM
Biased is not the word....! :o

Ever heard of a certain Pat McCourt ? Only probably the trickiest player on the island.....

And then there's Mark Farren...

Brady Bhoy
09/07/2007, 12:17 AM
Not the trickiest anymore, Mark Quigley has had some lessons off the Ronaldinhio :D:cool:

Dodge
09/07/2007, 12:51 AM
What would be the 11 based on this years SSC?

....................Ryan
........Maguire..Brennan...Foley
Murphy...Fahey..Ndo..Kirby.....Frost
..........Quigley.......O Donovan

Disgrace that gary O'Neill isn't ahead of O'Donovan

RRS again!

Celdrog
09/07/2007, 6:11 AM
As long as he's not the team's spokesman if we lose

superfrank
09/07/2007, 8:21 AM
Subs
Emerson? Dungannon Swifts left winger
????????? Dungannon Swifts striker who scored the 1st goal vs us away....buggered if i know his name.
His name's Everaldo actually. It's not as if there were so many Brazillians in the Setanta Cup this year that he could be mistaken for anyone.

Steve Bruce
09/07/2007, 8:30 AM
Everaldo is an average player and he has went back home anyway.

And why are we pitting a football team select side against a rugby team?

GavinZac
09/07/2007, 8:34 AM
here we go!

And why are we pitting a football team select side against a rugby team?

hey look, its a thread I can drag off topic!

For some reason I don't quite agree with your team 100%, Mr kjdaC.

....................Devine
Horgan.......Kelly.....Murray....Ryan
Robinson...Gamble...Murphy....L.Kearney
............ODonovan....That fat old bloke with good control, for linfield

lofty9
09/07/2007, 8:48 AM
Mannus

Shelly W Murphy Gavin Webb

Murphy Ndo McAreavy McCourt

Dickson O donovan

There is a totally unbiased team!!

Steve Bruce
09/07/2007, 9:40 AM
Mannus

Shelly W Murphy Gavin Webb

Murphy Ndo McAreavy McCourt

Dickson O donovan

There is a totally unbiased team!!

That would be my team.

Steve Bruce
09/07/2007, 9:42 AM
here we go!

For some reason I don't quite agree with your team 100%, Mr kjdaC.

....................Devine
Horgan.......Kelly.....Murray....Ryan
Robinson...Gamble...Murphy....L.Kearney
............ODonovan....That fat old bloke with good control, for linfield

Ferguson? if so he is far too slow and too old. 2 seasons ago he was probably the best striker in Ireland. He was very intelligent and his positioning was great. He can score from both feet and great in the air. He can bring the ball down, he can spread the play and in general was a great player.

Unfortunately his body isn't as quick as his mind any more.

CollegeTillIDie
09/07/2007, 10:05 AM
What's the name of the young striker that plays alongside Ferguson ?
He was scoring like there was no tomorrow the season before last.

Steve Bruce
09/07/2007, 10:16 AM
What's the name of the young striker that plays alongside Ferguson ?
He was scoring like there was no tomorrow the season before last.

Peter Thompson?

He scored 48 goals in 58 games.(also scored in an under 21 international as well)

Last season he only scored 31 goals in 51 games.(20 league goals in 30 league games)

GavinZac
09/07/2007, 10:44 AM
Ferguson? if so he is far too slow and too old. 2 seasons ago he was probably the best striker in Ireland. He was very intelligent and his positioning was great. He can score from both feet and great in the air. He can bring the ball down, he can spread the play and in general was a great player.

Unfortunately his body isn't as quick as his mind any more.

Yeah, I was impressed with him in our semi-final. As you said, lacking pace, but i think he and his intellegence would be a great foil to O'Donovan's pace and power. Obviously thats based on a few glimpses of what he can do though.

Steve Bruce
09/07/2007, 10:49 AM
Yeah, I was impressed with him in our semi-final. As you said, lacking pace, but i think he and his intellegence would be a great foil to O'Donovan's pace and power. Obviously thats based on a few glimpses of what he can do though.

Your few glimpses is what he only has now. He can still hack it against the lesser teams in the IL. But when it comes up to big games eg Glentoran, Portadown, Cliftonville etc he will be found wanting.

2 or 3 years ago. He was a great player and would make O'Donovan look twice the player.(this comment isn't saying he is rubbish, he is a fantastic player, but with a prime Ferguson next to him, he would look like a world beater)

bellavistaman
09/07/2007, 11:06 AM

agree 100% with that. Every time i watch the weekly i like your man ristilla(i think that is the spelling) is he handy or what. looks a good player to me?

finnpark
09/07/2007, 11:24 AM
Stuart Byrne is head and shoulders above everyone

old git
09/07/2007, 1:24 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;720212]Biased is not the word....! :o

Ever heard of a certain Pat McCourt ? Only probably the trickiest player on the island.....

quote ... yes but only when it suits him.. he is to overated at time
when he can produce same level of performance game after game maybe then
:ball:

Risteard
09/07/2007, 1:34 PM
So this rumour came from a guy on another forum who thinks he might have heard it on the radio?

Dodge
09/07/2007, 1:44 PM
Possibly

Oh and BTW Shane Robinson was by far the player of the tournament. You'd have to be pretty biased not to have Alan Kirby in any reckoning

dcfcsteve
09/07/2007, 2:02 PM
[QUOTE=dcfcsteve;720212]Biased is not the word....! :o

quote ... yes but only when it suits him.. he is to overated at time
when he can produce same level of performance game after game maybe then
:ball:

He's been consistent this season - even whilst playing for a team that's lost its way.

dcfcsteve
09/07/2007, 2:03 PM
Stuart Byrne is head and shoulders above everyone

:eek: Are you hosting the Open Mic event prior to the Cup game at Finn Park.......?!? :D

CollegeTillIDie
11/07/2007, 7:46 AM
Peter Thompson?

He scored 48 goals in 58 games.(also scored in an under 21 international as well)

Last season he only scored 31 goals in 51 games.(20 league goals in 30 league games)

That's him when you said the name it clicked in the brain. Very impressed when I saw him playing in the Setanta. There's not enough Irish League football on TV, I agree with that point made in another thread . The idea of a Setanta Cup All Star XI is quite good on another level. It would be the first time a team representing all parts of the Island of Ireland has played since the famous 1973 game which was brought back into the mind by the sad death of Derek Dougan recently. And given it would be from League teams ,( i.e. IL and ELOI) some non -Irish would get to play in the side too.