PDA

View Full Version : Buy Irish

new blue
07/07/2007, 8:41 PM
Why do so many Irish soccer supporters still cling to their post-colonial inferiority complex and slavishly follow English football even when their clubs are playing our national team. We don't do it in rugby or cricket or golf etc.
Like lapdogs are we now waiting for the next bone from the masters table. Best of luck to England but surely we need a little more backbone on this side of the water.

kdjaC
07/07/2007, 8:48 PM
Why do so many Irish soccer supporters still cling to their post-colonial inferiority complex and slavishly follow English football even when their clubs are playing our national team. We don't do it in rugby or cricket or golf etc.
Like lapdogs are we now waiting for the next bone from the masters table. Best of luck to England but surely we need a little more backbone on this side of the water.

Its better football, simple really. As far as most PL fans are concerned they support teams who play better football end of, thankfully some of those people are Leeds fans :D

SectionF who i think is Bohsnews on here made a simple yet superb post on boards.ie about why its safe to follow a G14 club your guuranteed success, your gauranteed to have something to cheer about etc:

His original post pretty much summed up what your asking shame i cant find it :)

kdjac

bennocelt
07/07/2007, 9:41 PM
Its better football, simple really. As far as most PL fans are concerned they support teams who play better football end of, thankfully some of those people are Leeds fans :D

kdjac

See I think thats a copout, some of the premiership games are terrible, re anything played by Villa, Boro, Wigan, man city and the likes
If that was the case then surely Irish fans would be getting planes to Spain and Italy every other week?????

kdjaC
07/07/2007, 9:45 PM
See I think thats a copout, some of the premiership games are terrible, re anything played by Villa, Boro, Wigan, man city and the likes
If that was the case then surely Irish fans would be getting planes to Spain and Italy every other week?????

Not the point, they dont have to get the plane they just turn on 401. Its easier on the eye.

kdjac

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2007, 10:22 PM

I agree with you bennocelt. But you are up against a mentality in this country who believe that if 40,000 people are at something then it's automatically brilliant, whereas if 450 are at it then it's automatically sh1t. Which as any real football fan knows is not necessarily the case.

That principal which when applied to attendances at GAA National League games Vs those at All Ireland and Provincial Championship games then becomes a self -fulfilling prophecy so to speak.

Dodge
07/07/2007, 10:24 PM
preaching to the converted here lads.

Anto McC
07/07/2007, 10:30 PM
It seems like we have this thread every other month. Why do they do it? Who knows but what we do know is they are idiots for it.

Dodge
07/07/2007, 10:32 PM
It seems like we have this thread every other month. Why do they do it? Who knows but what we do know is they are idiots for it.

Many Leeds fans there tonight Anto?

Anto McC
07/07/2007, 10:38 PM
I'd say there was about 4000 there tonight with about 500/600 being Shels fans. Had great craic with the ones in the bar,who were actually from Leeds. Songs being sung back and forth,general good natured banter. The rest of them outside didn't quite know what to do,as if the whole concept of actually being at the game,was alien to them.

kdjaC
07/07/2007, 10:39 PM
Many Leeds fans there tonight Anto?

Gus poyet remaked that it was like a home game so gonna guess yes, Leeds have a big fanbase over here. Most of my mates are leeds fans and go regularly and intend to go again this season.

re the game, was there an italian ref or was that a wind up? It would have made perfect sense really.

kdjac

Anto McC
07/07/2007, 10:41 PM
Paul Tuite was the ref. A very poor mans Collina but certainly not Italian.

kdjaC
07/07/2007, 10:42 PM
Paul Tuite was the ref. A very poor mans Collina but certainly not Italian.

dammit the fall from grace was nearly complete :D

kdjac

4tothefloor
07/07/2007, 11:07 PM

You're also overlooking the fact that outside of the top 2/3 teams in the EL, the rest of the football played by the likes of Longford, Waterford etc is shockingly s**t. And unfortunately for you, the s**t Man City plays is far superior to the s**t Longford plays. What I would say to most EL fans, and I'm one myself aswell as being a Liverpool fan, is remove your head from your holes and stop pretending that the premiership is crap. It's not crap, it is in fact far superior to the EL, in every possible way. Stop complaining/bitching about it and stop writing threads about it every second week. Cos it's pathetic :rolleyes: Just get on with supporting the EL and watching it grow, and leave out the 'barstooler' bulls**t......

dcfcsteve
07/07/2007, 11:10 PM
What was the Shels v Leeds score ??

Didn't even know they were playing....

kdjaC
07/07/2007, 11:12 PM
2-0 blake and prutton

kdjac

kdjaC
07/07/2007, 11:13 PM
You're also overlooking the fact that outside of the top 2/3 teams in the EL, the rest of the football played by the likes of Longford, Waterford etc is shockingly s**t. And unfortunately for you, the s**t Man City plays is far superior to the s**t Longford plays. What I would say to most EL fans, and I'm one myself aswell as being a Liverpool fan, is remove your head from your holes and stop pretending that the premiership is crap. It's not crap, it is in fact far superior to the EL, in every possible way. Stop complaining/bitching about it and stop writing threads about it every second week. Cos it's pathetic :rolleyes: Just get on with supporting the EL and watching it grow, and leave out the 'barstooler' bulls**t......

Banned for being sensible.

:D

kdjac

lofty9
08/07/2007, 12:05 AM
2-0 blake and prutton

kdjac

Not knowing who the feck plays for the financially challenged these days, who won? ;)

galwayhoop
08/07/2007, 1:34 AM
Not knowing who the feck plays for the financially challenged these days, who won? ;)

classic!!!

it really was a battle of the has-beens

GavinZac
08/07/2007, 8:37 AM

its interesting that this judgement has come from a limerick supporter who hasnt seen the top 2/3 teams in the EL in what - a decade?

osarusan
08/07/2007, 8:55 AM
its interesting that this judgement has come from a limerick supporter who hasnt seen the top 2/3 teams in the EL in what - a decade?

As a supporter of a first division team, he cannot be in a position to accurately comment on the quality of the premier division teams? His comments are less valid than a suporter of a Premier division team?

And which part of the comment, if any, do you disagree with?

GavinZac
08/07/2007, 9:00 AM
As a supporter of a first division team, he cannot be in a position to accurately comment on the quality of the premier division teams?

not without actually seeing them, beyond eircom league weekly.

And which part of the comment, if any, do you disagree with?

the "top 2/3" bit. granted, there is a fairly sharp drop off of talent beyond the top 6/7 teams at the moment, but the idea that the premier division is full of teams like longford or waterford is ridiculous and shows a lack of understanding.

Anto McC
08/07/2007, 9:51 AM
Just get on with supporting the EL and watching it grow, and leave out the 'barstooler' bulls**t......

I agree with the fact the premiership is superior but leave out the barstooler bullsh*t? No way,every barstool fan is not a fan,they are idiots. You admit to being a Liverpool fan and unless you are actually from Liverpool,you too are an idiot.

I used to do it myself when i was a kid and yes,i was an idiot but i saw sense and realised that i never really supported the team.

Sam_Heggy
08/07/2007, 10:35 AM
I agree with the fact the premiership is superior but leave out the barstooler bullsh*t? No way,every barstool fan is not a fan,they are idiots. You admit to being a Liverpool fan and unless you are actually from Liverpool,you too are an idiot.

I used to do it myself when i was a kid and yes,i was an idiot but i saw sense and realised that i never really supported the team.

so your a season ticket holder at tolka then?
Im a Liverpool fan, whats the problem? I go to every home Harps game and a good few away trips too. I also try to get over to 2/3 'Pool games a season. I cant see why we get critisised for supporting an english team, if, it doesnt affect the following of our local club. Our national team is made up of players plyin their trade in England, are you going to critisise them too? Its a better league simple as............. every player in LOI strives to play in England (well if they are ambitious enought anyway) Its a shame but thats the way it is.

Dodge
08/07/2007, 10:50 AM
Im a Liverpool fan, whats the problem? I go to every home Harps game and a good few away trips too. I also try to get over to 2/3 'Pool games a season. I cant see why we get critisised for supporting an english team, if, it doesnt affect the following of our local club. Our national team is made up of players plyin their trade in England, are you going to critisise them too? Its a better league simple as............. every player in LOI strives to play in England (well if they are ambitious enought anyway) Its a shame but thats the way it is.

In fairness I don't think any body has ever criticised a LOI fan who has an interest in a foreign team. As long as Harps are your true love...

What anto is doing is criticising those who exclusively follow a foreign team.

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2007, 5:44 PM
In fairness I don't think any body has ever criticised a LOI fan who has an interest in a foreign team. As long as Harps are your true love...

What anto is doing is criticising those who exclusively follow a foreign team.

Correct and more to the point, those who actually travel to see their English teams are not the problem in my view. There's a slight chance you might get them to go to an ELOI game especially during the English close season.

The ''barstoolers'' are so called because they are the ones who never go to a game , either at home, or across the Irish sea. They are the ones who think buying a replica shirt and shouting at the TV is supporting your team. And they are patently wrong.

And don't get me started on GAA fans who follow only English teams... like that plonker outside Croker protesting at the '' foreign '' games being played there in his Celtic shirt.....

Anto McC
08/07/2007, 6:38 PM

No but i get to almost all the games,home and away.

Im a Liverpool fan, whats the problem?

But you're also a Harps fan so no real problem,it's as Dodge said.

Our national team is made up of players plyin their trade in England, are you going to critisise them too?

I do,all the time. I've no time for the England B team but thats another arguement anyway.

Its a better league simple as

I didn't deny that,look at the first 9 words of my post you quoted. BTW,i can see how my post may have been confusing,my wording is terrible,so apologies.

new blue
08/07/2007, 6:46 PM
My own opinion is that there is an inferiority complex involved in neglecting our own teams, financially and with lack of support, and allowing ourselves to be used as stooges by marketing and tv exposure for the premiership etc. We send over our best talent to be used as fodder at a far too early age and about 1 in 600 make it and many of the others come back destroyed. We need to reconsider the situation.

Sam_Heggy
08/07/2007, 7:23 PM
apologise there Anto i took u up wrong.:o
I see what ye mean about the "barstoolers" but, i know "barstoolers" who if they had the money would travel to english games. The very same people critisise the LOI for not taking advantage of the funding available. Its the way the LOI is viewed is what rags me.

Dr.Nightdub
10/07/2007, 12:07 AM
When Sky Sports started off here, they had billboard ads that said "There's no point screaming at the ref if you're only watching the highlights."

Should've won an award for unconscious irony.

galwayhoop
10/07/2007, 9:59 AM
I see what ye mean about the "barstoolers" but, i know "barstoolers" who if they had the money would travel to english games.

The irony is of course that they need very little money to support their local side!

new blue
10/07/2007, 9:54 PM
"Its a shame but thats the way it is".

I'm glad you agree that it IS a shame. And it has gone on long enough. Wake up and have a little pride.

Sam_Heggy
11/07/2007, 8:01 AM
"Its a shame but thats the way it is".

I'm glad you agree that it IS a shame. And it has gone on long enough. Wake up and have a little pride.

wat u droolling on about now? who has no pride?

new blue
11/07/2007, 1:01 PM
People of little discernment who are conned by PR hype and media exposure into neglecting their own local and national teams and supporting teams who want their money through gate receipts and sale of merchandise. I nearly got sick a few years ago at a match where the national side was playing an English club in a friendly and the brave local heroes were cheering for the non-Irish team. A little like "peasants" had to do years ago in tipping their cap to the master of the big house - as I said earlier a post-colonial inferiority complex.

Sam_Heggy
11/07/2007, 1:22 PM
People of little discernment who are conned by PR hype and media exposure into neglecting their own local and national teams and supporting teams who want their money through gate receipts and sale of merchandise. I nearly got sick a few years ago at a match where the national side was playing an English club in a friendly and the brave local heroes were cheering for the non-Irish team. A little like "peasants" had to do years ago in tipping their cap to the master of the big house - as I said earlier a post-colonial inferiority complex.

is that pointed at me hoss?
personally I help out with Harps as much as possible. I have attended all barr 1 home game this season and been to a good few away games too (which are usually 3 hour journeys min each way) , Ive been to 2 of Irelands euro 2008 qualifiers and still support Liverpool. I cant see your problem, the same Steve Finnan plays for 'pool as does for Ireland, same goes for O'Shea, Doyle, etc. Some people need to get over the whole English hating agenda. Of coarse Harps come 1st but I still like to watch a better league (be it on tv or in person)

new blue
11/07/2007, 1:32 PM
Not really. I'm speaking to the nation!
For years we thought our national team couldn't compete, that our economy would always languish, that emigration was here to stay. If we spent half the resources we lavish on foreign teams (and good luck to them - I'm pro our team not anti everyone else) on our own league it would improve beyond measure and we need to keep repeating that message.

Sam_Heggy
11/07/2007, 1:40 PM
For years we thought our national team couldn't compete, that our economy would always languish, that emigration was here to stay. If we spent half the resources we lavish on foreign teams (and good luck to them - I'm pro our team not anti everyone else) on our own league it would improve beyond measure and we need to keep repeating that message.

is that you Bertie? :p

Sam_Heggy
11/07/2007, 1:43 PM
fair enough new-blue

CollegeTillIDie
12/07/2007, 9:13 AM

I agree completely with your posting. The attitude towards ELOI is the last vestiges of the '' ah sure we're only a poor small country'' mentality that held us back for years. People don't add 2 and 2 and get 4 for an answer. They say that the ELOI is not as good as the Premiership. Well it doesn't cost as much for one thing and maybe if a few more people bothered their hole to go, teams here might have the resources to pay better wages to go and compete at an ever better level in European club football. Then the clubs might be able to improve facilities. But it doesn't matter how good facilities are in the stadia cause Irish people, who were originally from North Africa, don't like being rained on and they'd get p***ed on between the bus/car/train and the grounds anyway in this glorious climate we have every summer which is on a par with an English winter and those games are well attended so how come we are such wimps? Or are we just a lazy shower of couch potatoes who worship at the temples of Atlantic Homecare and other such emporiums instead of the one true faith... Football:ball:?

To get to a point made elsewhere people think because lots of people go to something it's automatically brilliant. Witness in the GAA the situation where the game of real skill i.e. hurling is less well attended than the game with no rules..i.e Gaelic football.

If you were to use the population theory widely held in this country , Gaelic football would be a better game than hurling which it isn't. And another illustration.. look at all the sh1t songs that make no 1 in the pop charts? Just because something is popular doesn't automatically mean that it is good !

new blue
12/07/2007, 9:46 PM
Of course we'll always have the odd visit from our "masters" to keep the natives on side and assure them of our everlasting interest in their welfare - they may even come over on a return visit to our wonderful stadia across the water. If they're good we'll even let them set up a supporters club or do a summer camp for them. Wow!!

CollegeTillIDie
12/07/2007, 9:56 PM
So after tonights narrow 1-0 defeat at the hands of Tottenham Hotspur, the debate will start again as to relative standards. By my reckoning , St. Patrick's Athletic must be better than the entire bottom half of the Premiership table last season:D. And the stadium was full so therefore it was automatically a brilliant game. ;)

TonyD
13/07/2007, 12:51 PM
I'm a bit tired of this debate to be honest. It's one that's always guaranteed to go round in circles and get nowhere. But, what the hell, it's a miserable wet Friday lunchtime, so I'll throw my thoughts in. There is no point in trying to compare the quality of the English Premier league(or any other top European league) to the League of Ireland. With the resources those teams have they're ENTITLED to be much better than our teams. There would be something seriously wrong with them if they weren't. However, when did quality of play have anything to do with support ? I support Pats because they are MY team. Not because I think they're better than Man Who, (or even Spurs). Are the people who "support" top English teams and cite quality as the reason saying that their support is dependent on that quality. If Man Who or Liverpool slip down the table(come to think of it, Liverpool:p) would these supporters jump ship ? (What, Arsenal, only 4th this seson, bugger that, I'm with Man U next year!). Of course not. Perversely, you'll probably get the opposite. I can just imagine United fans of a certain vintage expressing their pride that they continued to follow them when they were relegated in the 70's. So what about the quality argument there ? Or, take International football. Why support Ireland, when Brazil and Argentina, Italy, France and Germany(to name but a few) are so much better ? Massive contradiction ? Of course. Will it ever change ? Who the hell knows.