PDA

View Full Version : Worst policy in EL

Pages : [1] 2 3

sligoman
07/07/2007, 12:45 AM
No tri-colours are allowed on show in the Brandywell. No joke.

I posted this on Derry City forum:

I will be making a complaint with the F.A.I. and Derry City F.C. about the enforced removal of a tri-colour flag tonight. The flag was not blocking any signage or fans view. It was simply hung on a railing. We were then informed by the(friendly) stewards that it had to be removed due to TV Complaints because we were up the North. I thought they were taking the **** but then informed us that a board member/director of Derry City(MBurns) saw the flag from the board room and ordered it to be removed. The stewards were made do his dirty work and they themselves agreed it is a joke policy that Burns has come up with.

So, ye play in the League of Ireland and yet fans are not allowed hang an Ireland flag. FFS, get a grip lads. It's a free country and that policy won't work unless there is a total ban on all countries flags. There was a Scottish flag(which I brought) hung up beside the Ireland flag and yet that was allowed stay. I'm sure Derry fans will agree it is a seriously stupid policy and as one of the stewards quite rightly pointed out...telling fans to remove tri-colour could turn nasty.I posted this here just to see what other people think of this policy.

Red&White Rover
07/07/2007, 12:53 AM
talking to the stewards at the end they were completely of the same mind as us, in that it was a completely ridicoulous thing to do....

pineapple stu
07/07/2007, 12:57 AM
Is this new? Never had a problem there before. Can't see why Derry would care either.

sligoman
07/07/2007, 1:02 AM
The steward I was chatting to informed me that Linfield fans had complained about the Che Guvera flag that Derry fans had and then Derry got fined for it then. Think they've got strict on flags since. Whatever about Che Guvera but an Ireland flag in Ireland:rolleyes:

feo123
07/07/2007, 1:09 AM
bit of a joke all round up there really

Shiba
07/07/2007, 8:31 AM
That had to the most disgusting and degrading action I have ever witnessed at any "League of Ireland" ground I have ever witnessed.There was Derry Fan and his Kids sitting behind me who got up and left the Ground because of this action.Messer "Burns & Co" wont be long flying the Tricolor when they have thier have hands out to the Football Association of "IRELAND" for funding.Would have been easier to fly it during the troubles.Fair play to Lorraine for speaking her mind.Also to the stewards who did say the action was wrong but that they were instructed too.

"SHAME ON DERRY"

lofty9
07/07/2007, 8:57 AM
Derry City as a club with co-operation with its fans have had this policy in action for years. Do any of you actually understand the nature of society in the North? Flags are a highly emotive political issue. If we display them we alienate a section of our support. If your going to have a dig at us at trying to change attitudes in the north then that's your problem. There would be more complaints at the ground by people if the ground was laden by tricolours. Derry City is a cross community club.

PS A half obscurely displayed Scottish flag is irrelevant to the political situation in the North.

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 9:05 AM
we were told no national flags would be allowed for the linfield match in the setanta cup, but there were dozens of union jacks and red hands. didnt bother me much but thought it a bit strange that they'd just choose to ignore the rule/request.

KevB76
07/07/2007, 9:13 AM
Flags are a highly emotive political issue. If we display them we alienate a section of our support.

Likewise if you instruct people to remove them, no ?

sonofstan
07/07/2007, 9:39 AM
Derry City as a club with co-operation with its fans have had this policy in action for years. Do any of you actually understand the nature of society in the North? Flags are a highly emotive political issue. If we display them we alienate a section of our support. If your going to have a dig at us at trying to change attitudes in the north then that's your problem. There would be more complaints at the ground by people if the ground was laden by tricolours. Derry City is a cross community club.

PS A half obscurely displayed Scottish flag is irrelevant to the political situation in the North.

Top post.
and waving around national flags at a football match that's not an international is stupid anyway.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 9:51 AM

That is the greatest load of political jargon I heard.We may not have lived it the same way ye have (Poor ye) but we are not ignorant of what went on up there.We all hope that we can get passed that fact now,your club plays under the Tricolor, the flag is the national flag of our club.Regardless of been cross community club which I hope we are too, your other half of thee cross community are not ignorant of the fact that there team play under the TRICOLOR.Ye wont be long flying the TRICOLOR when ye what funding.

A few weeks ago there was a campaign to show racism the boot.IMO This is meant to educate us to respect each others traditions & values its not just about skin color.The TRICOLOR is our national flag and our Idenity.

As to sat the scottish flag has no bearing on the matter probably has more than you think.It shows ye as club pick and chose what nationalm flag can be flown.Thats Sectarism!

Shiba
07/07/2007, 10:01 AM
Top post.
and waving around national flags at a football match that's not an international is stupid anyway.

What planet are you on.Most clubs do this including your own! Its your national flag and flown at most loi grounds on match day.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 10:10 AM
Lofty9! Just want to ask ya something.I'm going to assume you were at the match last night so In your honest opinion "Did you notice the TRICOLOR in the corner last nite?I didnt see it and I was next to it,never came to my attention until the stewards started removing it. And If you did notice before that "Did you find it offensive?".

OneRedArmy
07/07/2007, 10:31 AM
Derry City as a club pride ourselves on portraying a non-sectarian ethos. I personally have no problems with other clubs displaying flags, whether they be Union Jacks, Tricolours or otherwise, but I can see why the club were trying to do this.

But some of the posts on here are verging on the ridiculous. Get a sense of perspective ffs :rolleyes:

sonofstan
07/07/2007, 10:34 AM
What planet are you on.Most clubs do this including your own! Its your national flag and flown at most loi grounds on match day.
Oddly enough, I'm capable of understanding that just because Bohs does something it may still not be right - I wouldn't suggest that anyone should employ Garreth Farrelly as a manager, for instance.

But, seriously, if you guys can't understand that, given the recent history of NI, flying Tricolours, Union Jacks or Ulster flags has a weight and significance that might make not doing it the prudent choice, then maybe you should be guided by the opinions of those who actually live there - i.e. Derry City - club and fans

Shiba
07/07/2007, 10:38 AM
Derry City as a club pride ourselves on portraying a non-sectarian ethos. I personally have no problems with other clubs displaying flags, whether they be Union Jacks, Tricolours or otherwise, but I can see why the club were trying to do this.

But some of the posts on here are verging on the ridiculous. Get a sense of perspective ffs :rolleyes:

Someone obviously at the club has a problem with it and thats what all the RIDICULOUS is about.Get a sense of perspective ffs if was the other way round and happened to ye I'd say the world would hear about.Yer club chose to play under this flag remember!

Shiba
07/07/2007, 11:02 AM
Oddly enough, I'm capable of understanding that just because Bohs does something it may still not be right - I wouldn't suggest that anyone should employ Garreth Farrelly as a manager, for instance.

But, seriously, if you guys can't understand that, given the recent history of NI, flying Tricolours, Union Jacks or Ulster flags has a weight and significance that might make not doing it the prudent choice, then maybe you should be guided by the opinions of those who actually live there - i.e. Derry City - club and fans

We all know the History,been up north on countless occasions for work & pleasure.When driving up I went through lifford which brought through some towns of Orange persuadsion which at this time of the year is decked out with their colors,I didnt find it offensive and thought that it great the pride they take in their traditions.But then to get the ground where outside the tricolor is alround and see the TRICOLOR been taken down was disgracful.Look in all honesty to say it was causing offence is "Bull".Most people were watch the game as I said in another poist "I was beside it and never noticed it".A while back there was a game in Croke Park where "God save the Queen" was played that was a very emotive issue by some down south but we accepted it.So why can a Tricolor the national flag of the league they play in,be excepted it works both ways.Next month when the "love Ulster parade" goes down O'Connell Street in your honest opinion how will you feel about that.This is going of the point and proably bring my point to a different level but its like everything "If I called a colored person "Black" its seen as been racist but if he calls me "White" he is not.Is this still not racism? My point been all traditions have to be accepted not just what suits.

LeixlipRed
07/07/2007, 11:13 AM
Was not having the flag the reason you were beaten 4-1 lads? :rolleyes:

Dr.Nightdub
07/07/2007, 11:15 AM
I think it's admirable the way the Derry board have responded to their fans' demands - for years, they've been singing "Take it down from the mast."

LeixlipRed
07/07/2007, 11:20 AM
Well atleast you admitted it :D

Shiba
07/07/2007, 11:20 AM
Was not having the flag the reason you were beaten 4-1 lads? :rolleyes:

Was only 3 - 1 at the time and flag was up from start of game were only ask to take down 20 minute into 2nd Half and if you care to go to The Rovers forum you will see that we have accepted that we were beaten by the better side on the night.

Don't worry we'll speak our minds and that will be that but you know it will not end up in court if your club was involved:rolleyes:

LeixlipRed
07/07/2007, 11:28 AM
Was only 3 - 1 at the time and flag was up from start of game were only ask to take down 20 minute into 2nd Half and if you care to go to The Rovers forum you will see that we have accepted that we were beaten by the better side on the night.

Don't worry we'll speak our minds and that will be that but you know it will not end up in court if your club was involved:rolleyes:

Touched a nerve have I? My whole point is that this thread is ridiculous. Derry have to portray themselves in a non sectarian way. You might think it's silly, i might think it's silly and the majority of Derry fans probably do too but the policy is right so as not to alienate anyone not from a Republican background who may wish to follow derry

jebus
07/07/2007, 11:47 AM
Absolutely ridiculous to take the flag, or any bloody flag, down in a football ground. I understand that Norn Iron is a 'problematic country', but jesus, it's only a football game after all, and what about freedom to express yourself? Presumably the Sligo fan is proud of being Irish, and proud of Sligo Rovers as an Irish football team, hence he wants to display the Irish flag. In Limerick we have had the Palestinian, American, Catalan, Irish and Israeli flags up this year for what its worth. Some have complained about the Israeli flag, but to be honest my reaction, even as someone who would view themself as pro-Palestine, has been to ask why they are so against allowing a different viewpoint then their own being expressed. Anyone involved with Derry who would take offence at the Irish or British flag being displayed should take a serious look at themselves in my opinion.

On a sidenote, do the unionist Derry City fans call it that, or do they call it Londonderry City? Not being funny here, but if people take great political offence to a flag, then surely they must have an opinion on name changes, so whats the Derry City board's cross-community standpoint on that?

Shiba
07/07/2007, 11:48 AM
Touched a nerve have I? My whole point is that this thread is ridiculous. Derry have to portray themselves in a non sectarian way. You might think it's silly, i might think it's silly and the majority of Derry fans probably do too but the policy is right so as not to alienate anyone not from a Republican background who may wish to follow derry

You touched no nerve with me.I'm long enough following football (b4 U say spec rovers)not to let results bother me.Take the good with the bad,I like the game!

You can only alienate people if they are not willing to accept the traditions of others or you are not willing to accept theirs.

Supposing one of the Derry fateful from the "other" side as they say decide to bring a Union Jack to your ground with Derry City on it would expect ur stewards to remove it or would it bother ya.I dont think,cos we cud'nt be ar**d.

Its Derry who have to overcome their negative attitudes and accept that when you playing in the loi you are going to have to accept the TRICOLOR been flown.I also think your missing the point that the Scottish flag was left in place.

I wonder when and this is not a dig at Shams fans that when Derry Play Shams who's colors are tradionally green and white and bring alot of tricolors with them will they be made take them down

Also as far as I know Derry play Celtic in August will there be a ban on Tricolors then? I think not as it will be a money maker for them!

Shiba
07/07/2007, 12:04 PM
[QUOTE=Rocketfingers;719491]The Tri-Colour is a non sectarian flag ! :mad: It is the flag of our nation, it may have been hijacked by different groups who took advantage of it to raise funds in the past, i really can't believe you have implied that.

Well said rocketfingers! i remember a discussion about Tricolor on Tv before.I was brought up with the tradition that the Tricolor was Green White and gold but actually it was designed with the two traditions in mind .Bringing the two together of Green & Orange with the white of Peace.

LeixlipRed
07/07/2007, 12:06 PM
So you're telling me the tri-colour has no sectarian connotations? I'm fully aware of the literal meaning of our particular tri-colour but you saying it's non-sectarian is ridiculous

Red&White Rover
07/07/2007, 12:12 PM
So you're telling me the tri-colour has no sectarian connotations? I'm fully aware of the literal meaning of our particular tri-colour but you saying it's non-sectarian is ridiculous

well in the sense it was used last night was completely non-sectarian.

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 12:12 PM
having been to belfast recently for a setanta cup game, its not only sectarian, its a deliberate marking of territory. id image the situation would be similar in derry, and i can understand why they wouldnt want the flag at the game. whether or not derry have or ever will have unionist fans, they cant be seen to be enforcing that.

well in the sense it was used last night was completely non-sectarian.

Thats where your post hits a problem. This is the North - sense goes out the window.

1 9 2 8
07/07/2007, 12:14 PM
If it was my flag their is no way I would have let them take it down. They didn't take down the Scottish flag which could be seen as sectarian too if they regard the Tricolour as sectarian. If DCFC have a ban on political flags fair enough but it has to be a blanket ban on all flags which would include Derry’s Che flag which could also be seen as provoking some people too

Shiba
07/07/2007, 12:15 PM

Are you saying that we should stop using it or that we should have no pride in it because it might upset the mindless few!

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 12:21 PM
Are you saying that we should stop using it or that we should have no pride in it because it might upset the mindless few!

yes, you should stop using it, in the brandywell, because it might upset the mindless few. that is the reality. while there are still mindless people, dont feed their stupidity. eventually, they might go away

OneRedArmy
07/07/2007, 12:25 PM
Absolutely ridiculous to take the flag, or any bloody flag, down in a football ground. I understand that Norn Iron is a 'problematic country', but jesus, it's only a football game after all, and what about freedom to express yourself? Presumably the Sligo fan is proud of being Irish, and proud of Sligo Rovers as an Irish football team, hence he wants to display the Irish flag. In Limerick we have had the Palestinian, American, Catalan, Irish and Israeli flags up this year for what its worth. Some have complained about the Israeli flag, but to be honest my reaction, even as someone who would view themself as pro-Palestine, has been to ask why they are so against allowing a different viewpoint then their own being expressed. Anyone involved with Derry who would take offence at the Irish or British flag being displayed should take a serious look at themselves in my opinion.

On a sidenote, do the unionist Derry City fans call it that, or do they call it Londonderry City? Not being funny here, but if people take great political offence to a flag, then surely they must have an opinion on name changes, so whats the Derry City board's cross-community standpoint on that?Ridiculous post from start to finish.

The rugby and golf clubs who would be majority Protestant are both called City of Derry. Generally only Protestants from outside the city refer to it as Londonderry. I think that addresses that point.

As for the flags, its our club rule, its obvious why we have done it and if you don't like it, don't come up.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 12:31 PM
As for the flags, its our club rule, its obvious why we have done it and if you don't like it, don't come up.

A Traditional Northern repnse ain't it!

Our way or no way!

Ulster Says "No":rolleyes:

bennocelt
07/07/2007, 12:42 PM

thats rubbish, if Derry City were in the Irish League then fine, but they are in the EL
I find this truely shocking, an Irish flag shoudnt cause anyone offence
I sincerely hope the fans of Derry will change this policy

Anto McC
07/07/2007, 1:00 PM
thats rubbish, if Derry City were in the Irish League then fine, but they are in the EL
I find this truely shocking, an Irish flag shoudnt cause anyone offence
I sincerely hope the fans of Derry will change this policy

You know i have to agree with the above. Who the hell is gaining from this?

Aaron
07/07/2007, 1:03 PM
Whether people like it or not its a club rule. I myself find it ridiculous, but its a rule. The club has fans from the Unionist side of the community. Derry City prides itself on the fact that they are a community club. The Scottish flag should have been removed, but thats our own fault. Just because Derry City play in a Nationalist are and is mainly supported by a Nationalist community, we still respect other religions who attend the Brandywell.

Sligo fans are not the first to have this. Last season I saw our stewards telling Linfield fans to take a Union flag down that they had up the back of the stand. At the friendly against Linfield 2 years ago a tri-colour was hung out and was promptly removed. The actions of the stewards was not to antagonise the Sligo fans, the rule made by Michael Burns and the Derry City directors was not to antagonise visiting fans, It was made to respect the Unionist community and for them to feel welcome. Yes we are required to fly a tri-colour on European games but the club has always maintained a strict policy on this. The Scottish flag should have been removed. Once again it wasnt intended to antagonise Sligo fans.

BTW some of the remarks on here are bordering on rediculous.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 1:07 PM
You know i have to agree with the above. Who the hell is gaining from this?

You know I starting to doubt my sanity for minute as the only people who thought it wrong for the Tricolor to be removed was Rovers fans maybe because it was our game it happened at,the last few post has said different and our judgement wasn't been clouded by the result.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 1:19 PM
Whether people like it or not its a club rule. I myself find it ridiculous, but its a rule. The club has fans from the Unionist side of the community. Derry City prides itself on the fact that they are a community club. The Scottish flag should have been removed, but thats our own fault. Just because Derry City play in a Nationalist are and is mainly supported by a Nationalist community, we still respect other religions who attend the Brandywell.

Sligo fans are not the first to have this. Last season I saw our stewards telling Linfield fans to take a Union flag down that they had up the back of the stand. At the friendly against Linfield 2 years ago a tri-colour was hung out and was promptly removed. The actions of the stewards was not to antagonise the Sligo fans, the rule made by Michael Burns and the Derry City directors was not to antagonise visiting fans, It was made to respect the Unionist community and for them to feel welcome. Yes we are required to fly a tri-colour on European games but the club has always maintained a strict policy on this. The Scottish flag should have been removed. Once again it wasnt intended to antagonise Sligo fans.

BTW some of the remarks on here are bordering on rediculous.

I understand that this was not done to antagonise the Sligo fan.Neither was the putting up of the flag to antagonise your cross commnuity fans base.Surly your protestant fan base are not fickle enough to be insulted by the presence of the Tricolor by fans from the opposing team in which they play which happens to be of a different culture.There was not one secterian comment from either fan base.Why did it take so long for the decision to take it down was made midway through 2nd half.Nobody was bothered bout it up to that!

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 1:25 PM
its not the other clubs that derry are afraid of inciting. its their own potential unionist fans. why is this so difficult for people to grasp?

What would happen if these people come down to the Showgrounds and see the tri-colour ? Will they make an objection if they are that bigoted that they can't stand the sight of the tri-colour or that it may upset them then maybe the league of Ireland is not for them.
again, you're not getting it. bigots in the north use the tricolour as an offensive "weopan" to annoy other bigots. whether the intention is to this or not is about as relevant as what a white guy's intention was saying 'n*gger'. derry cant be seen as associated with it.

SolitudeRed
07/07/2007, 1:27 PM
Well yes this does seem like a daft rule to me but well there are sound reasons for it that have already been outlined by the Derry fans! they have a club colours only rule at solitude but it is never enforced same at most other IL grounds!

Linfield fans I have talked to about the setanta cup have praised the Red and White Army, as apparently they did not bring Tricolours to windsor during the Setanta cup games! did the club advise fans to take club colours only?

Have to say that some of the comments are just ignorant but I'm used to hearing such things from my time in Galway, It really proves to me that nobody fully understands the situation in the North unless they have lived/grown up here.

Dodge
07/07/2007, 1:31 PM
talk about mountain out of molehill

Get a ****ing grip lads. You were asked to take downa flag, so ****ing what!?

Oh and BTW what is the point in having a tricolour at a game between two Irish teams that play in red & white anyway?

Ridiculous thread

Shiba
07/07/2007, 1:35 PM
its not the other clubs that derry are afraid of inciting. its their own potential unionist fans. why is this so difficult for people to grasp?

Afraid that I can't agree with you! These people know what team they follow and what league they play in so know what sort of flags and banners that will accompany these fans while supporting their teams.They're are not complete idiot's!

Shiba
07/07/2007, 1:37 PM
talk about mountain out of molehill

Get a ****ing grip lads. You were asked to take downa flag, so ****ing what!?

Oh and BTW what is the point in having a tricolour at a game between two Irish teams that play in red & white anyway?

Ridiculous thread

Have ye none with St Pats on it!

Its having pride in your nation!

GavinZac
07/07/2007, 1:41 PM
Afraid that I can't agree with you! These people know what team they follow and what league they play in so know what sort of flags and banners that will accompany these fans while supporting their teams.They're are not complete idiot's!
the league they play in is irrelevant. Derry City FC represent the entirity of Derry City. Allowing national flags from either side of the bigotry only serves to antagonise, so why bother? Its not that big a deal, as Dodge pointed out, whats the point in bringing a tricolour there anyway? (im going to go ahead and use your answer...)

Its having pride in your nation!nation has nothing to do with it. whether or not its possible to be "proud" of being born somewhere, its entirely irrelevant at club v club level. there may be something to be said for it in european games but even then you're stretching it.

lofty9
07/07/2007, 1:43 PM
Have ye none with St Pats on it!

Its having pride in your nation!

I didn't see Ireland play at the Brandywell last night.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 1:47 PM
I didn't see Ireland play at the Brandywell last night.

Lucky you didnt what would happen with all the Tricolors then!
Then again ye not know what pride in a nation is!

Den again I suppose ye do when it Suits!:rolleyes:

superfrank
07/07/2007, 1:52 PM
I think most Irish people have pride in their nation. Why does this have to be reasserted by bringing a national flag to a football match between two Irish teams?? Football and politics clearly don't mix well. That's why Derry City have this rule.

Yes I know the Bray fans have tricolours with BWAFC on it but if we weren't allowed to wave it about I wouldn't be as indignated as the Sligo fans here. I don't see the point in showing off your nationalism to people in your own country. International games or European games, fine. But ffs lads it's a league game. Both teams are Irish. It's not needed.

Aside from that, how can yez not understand the gravity of the situation up North? We've all read and heard enough about it. If this had happened in any other ground in the country, you might have a reason to spew this nationalism tripe but Derry is a totally different kettle of fish and who knows if you'd been displaying the tricolour on the side of the bus and your man took a wrong turn you coulda gotten into a lot of trouble.

It's nothing personal lads. It's nothing against your national pride. It's just sensible and sensitive.

lofty9
07/07/2007, 1:53 PM
If they can't be associated with our national flag will let them play in another league where they can be assoicated with the flag of the country ;) Although i think they should tell the people of the Brandywell and bogside first that they can't be associated with the tri-colour and they will show you what they think of that.

Can you not grasp the fact that the club is called Derry City, not Brandywell Harps or Bogside Celtic?

Being based in the Brandywell and Bogide area doesn't make all it's fans representative of the people in the areas political beliefs.

There are actually very few people living in the Brandywell area that go into the stadium to watch the games.

Aaron
07/07/2007, 1:54 PM
I understand that this was not done to antagonise the Sligo fan.Neither was the putting up of the flag to antagonise your cross commnuity fans base.Surly your protestant fan base are not fickle enough to be insulted by the presence of the Tricolor by fans from the opposing team in which they play which happens to be of a different culture.There was not one secterian comment from either fan base.Why did it take so long for the decision to take it down was made midway through 2nd half.Nobody was bothered bout it up to that!

I dont know if our Protestant community are fickle enough because I'm not a protestant, thats something you have to ask them, but thats why our club implemented this rule, to respect those that may be fickle enough.

The only thing that is rediculous is this rule it should be changed for league of ireland games. I could understand it for other games that involve clubs that may see Flags as incitment. Derry will happy to accept the money they make from playing under the Irish flag in the champions in a few weeks time but wont allow the national flag to be displayed in their ground is nothing short of disrespctful and ludicrous.

What would happen if these people come down to the Showgrounds and see the tri-colour ? Will they make an objection if they are that bigoted that they can't stand the sight of the tri-colour or that it may upset them then maybe the league of Ireland is not for them.

Look that would be their problem, but our club has taken steps to ensure everyone feels welcome and comfotbale at the Brandywell, and have banned national flags to do so.

Shiba
07/07/2007, 1:54 PM
One last post,must get up and do something.In a few weeks time Derry will be playing in europe representing Ireland and comments like "Flying the Flag" for Ireland etc will be in the media.Is this going antagonise their protestant fan base they are so worried about? Wont be one bit bothered I'd say.