PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see RTE's sixone news last night?

Theskinloyal
04/07/2007, 10:03 AM
They had a piece in the sports news about Farrelly and Healy getting to play for Cork for the first time last night. Had a small segment with Healy.

The interviewer (John O'Donoghue?) was talking like this was the end of Healy's career made a point of repeatedly calling him a 'former' or 'ex' international and that Healy really should be hoping for a move back to England.

Although it's always good to see something about the LOI on RTE to the average joe it made out as if the LOI was the last chance saloon for players who just could make the grade in England. Disheartening to say the least.

Jerry The Saint
04/07/2007, 10:08 AM
They had a piece in the sports news about Farrelly and Healy getting to play for Cork for the first time last night. Had a small segment with Healy.

The interviewer (John O'Donoghue?) was talking like this was the end of Healy's career made a point of repeatedly calling him a 'former' or 'ex' international and that Healy really should be hoping for a move back to England.

Although it's always good to see something about the LOI on RTE to the average joe it made out as if the LOI was the last chance saloon for players who just could make the grade in England. Disheartening to say the least.

If it was Tony O'Donoghue I'd be surprised as he's a (hugely biased:mad:) Cork fan. :)

The "ex-"international thing does annoy me, it seems to only be applied to players when they retire or move to Ireland:confused:

bellavistaman
04/07/2007, 10:11 AM
If it was Tony O'Donoghue I'd be surprised as he's a (hugely biased:mad:) Cork fan. :)

The "ex-"international thing does annoy me, it seems to only be applied to players when they retire or move to Ireland:confused:

Was in cobh last night for the match

pete
04/07/2007, 10:18 AM
I watched that on RTE.ie last night & did not see it like that. True there is always angle to the story about returning to England but its difficult ot worry too much about that.

Healy gave a good interview & said all the right things from a City fans point of view. He seems very eager to play & he is correct to just concentrate on playing every week as its not something he is used to.

Theskinloyal
04/07/2007, 10:22 AM
I agree Healy sounded very positive about playing for his local side etc. But there was a spin put on it that the move was seemingly a means to getting the attention of a club in England

Pablo
04/07/2007, 10:26 AM
Its availible on rte.ie now

superfrank
04/07/2007, 12:00 PM
Let's see how long he lasts before getting injured again. That could be the end of his career.

Risteard
04/07/2007, 12:12 PM
Just as easily as it can happen to any other player.

eirebhoy
04/07/2007, 1:48 PM
elevenaside guilty too.

Cork City’s appeal against the ineligibility of former Ireland international pair Colin Healy and Gareth Farrelly will be heard by the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) in Lausanne, Switzerland today (Tuesday).
http://www.eleven-a-side.com/offthefield/irish_soccer_detail.asp?newsid=28048

razor
04/07/2007, 1:54 PM
Let's see how long he lasts before getting injured again. That could be the end of his career.You're sounding like you want it to happen.

Risteard
04/07/2007, 1:55 PM
I don't know.
I always found it amusing to hear people say 'irish international Glen Crowe'.
So, i think it's pretty accurate although you couldn't say it about Joe Gamble.

Maybe it just passes a judgement on whether they'll ever play for Ireland again in which case I wouldn't call Healy an ex-international.

noby
04/07/2007, 2:05 PM
Well he's not a current international. It's a tricky one - unless you retire when are you an ex-international. And even ex-internationals are being re-called these days.

'Irish international Glen Crowe' is similar to reading the back of a video 'starring Oscar winner so-and-so', and you think yes but he won that oscar twenty years ago, and has been crap for the last decade.

LeixlipRed
04/07/2007, 2:44 PM
Yes that's exactly like glen crowe. This being the same Crowe who scored the goal to win us the league last year

sfc red
04/07/2007, 2:51 PM
Brilliant for us last season.

noby
04/07/2007, 3:13 PM
Doesn't make him any more of an international.

LeixlipRed
04/07/2007, 3:15 PM
Didn't say it did. just pointing out how rubbish your analogy was

noby
04/07/2007, 3:30 PM
Accepted. I just cut and pasted the quote. Granted I probably should have said 'the likes of', as it wasn't meant to be a personal attack on Crowe, but more an observation on players getting a couple of caps, and being known as 'Irish international so-and-so' for the rest of their career.

superfrank
04/07/2007, 3:36 PM
Just as easily as it can happen to any other player.
Look, he's had a really rough time with injuries. That's really why he hasn't been at any club for a long time. I would like to see him do well. Anyone whos gone through what he has should have some good fortune. But I also think it won't be long before he gets injured again. What kinda physio has he gone through this time that'll make it different from all the others?

You're sounding like you want it to happen.
That's just stupid. I don't know him at all. Why would I want him injured? :confused:

I'm just reminding yez that he's not physically reliable.

Philly
04/07/2007, 3:48 PM
It's a weird one. Can you call Farrelly an Irish International or and ex-one?

razor
04/07/2007, 3:51 PM
I'm just reminding yez that he's not physically reliable.In your opinion, in mine the lads just been incredibly unlucky. Thanks for the reminder though.

derm
04/07/2007, 3:56 PM
Look, he's had a really rough time with injuries. That's really why he hasn't been at any club for a long time. I would like to see him do well. Anyone whos gone through what he has should have some good fortune. But I also think it won't be long before he gets injured again. What kinda physio has he gone through this time that'll make it different from all the others?

:confused: He broke his leg twice and then got a bad knee injury. To me that sounds like one injury and two pieces of bad luck.
Add in the FIFA farce and that's three pieces of bad luck. Hopefully he'll be scoring flukey goals for seasons to come!

I've broken one leg and tore ligaments in the other in 35 years of a largely sedentary life and I don't consider myself injury prone ...

Raheny Red
04/07/2007, 4:47 PM
It's a weird one. Can you call Farrelly an Irish International or and ex-one?

Dormant maybe:confused:

:D:p

monutdfc
04/07/2007, 4:54 PM
4 full internationals on the pitch last night

GavinZac
04/07/2007, 5:01 PM
I'm just reminding yez that he's not physically reliable.

you cant be "prone" to breaking your leg unless he has bloody osteoparosis or something :rolleyes:

Sam Savic
04/07/2007, 9:42 PM
:confused: He broke his leg twice and then got a bad knee injury. To me that sounds like one injury and two pieces of bad luck.
Add in the FIFA farce and that's three pieces of bad luck ...

They're not the only problems he's had. Some of his neighbours in Cark might know about his other problem. Fair play to him though for making a comeback.

Dodge
05/07/2007, 12:09 AM
They're not the only problems he's had. Some of his neighbours in Cark might know about his other problem. Fair play to him though for making a comeback.

Or fans of Celtic or Sunderland. Or anyone who listens to Irish football gossip... (of which I'm definitely one)

Dodge
05/07/2007, 12:10 AM
4 full internationals on the pitch last night

Very full internationals judging by this pic

http://ccfcforum.com/forum/uploads/1181072264/gallery_47_1672.jpg
http://ccfcforum.com/forum/uploads/1181072264/gallery_47_6278.jpg

razor
05/07/2007, 7:59 AM
Very full internationals judging by this picthats only one of them. I'd give anything for a belly like that.:D

bellavistaman
05/07/2007, 10:42 AM
See there section on the derry manager in cobh, they didnt even mention Rams once bar the fact he was at Rams to watch Derry. You think they'd show our goal at least after showin 2 of Derrys, their other shot, and their fans.

Soko
05/07/2007, 11:39 AM

True. Something Anthony Stokes should be looking at pretty closely. Success can bypass you in a flash

onceahoop
05/07/2007, 9:57 PM
Maybe RTE should adopt a policy of referring to players still playing who've represented their country as "international player".

I thought Farrelly was training for the last year. Is he living in Cork or still commutting? Mind you he did play the full game the other night.

superfrank
05/07/2007, 10:36 PM
I was reading the BBC earlier on and they did when referring to Teddy Sheringham. :confused: So it's not just RTE.

But of course we are all el fans : the great cynics of the world. :rolleyes:

Risteard
06/07/2007, 12:09 AM
But of course we are all el fans : the great cynics of the world. :rolleyes:
I resent that.

;)

Pablo Escobar
06/07/2007, 12:27 AM
I agree Healy sounded very positive about playing for his local side etc. But there was a spin put on it that the move was seemingly a means to getting the attention of a club in England
That's what I got from it too.

Although I was delighted with Healy's responses, he seems committed!