PDA

View Full Version : Eight in University Games squad

pineapple stu
03/07/2007, 7:17 PM
Apparently (http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=717085&postcount=1).

Edit - nine including Killian Gallagher, and there's also Séamus Long, who played two games for us.

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2007, 3:28 PM
Well done I'll bet we get a few Under 21 games postponed because of this.

DmanDmythDledge
07/07/2007, 10:44 PM
I doubt we will. Not many of them make the starting line up and we have suitable cover for the absentees. Maybe if we get a number of injuries just before the Games but I doubt we'd bother.

CollegeTillIDie
08/07/2007, 9:45 AM
I doubt we will. Not many of them make the starting line up and we have suitable cover for the absentees. Maybe if we get a number of injuries just before the Games but I doubt we'd bother.

In the FAI Rule book once two players are away on International duty you are entitled to a postponement. The team going to the World Student Games is representing Ireland therefore we are entitled to postponements.

Dodge
08/07/2007, 10:53 AM
In the FAI Rule book once two players are away on International duty you are entitled to a postponement. The team going to the World Student Games is representing Ireland therefore we are entitled to postponements.

Its not representing the FAI though

CollegeTillIDie
09/07/2007, 10:14 AM
Its not representing the FAI though

The FAI is responsible for all international teams representing Ireland. The team is being selected by CUSAI which is the overall body for all third level sports in the country. CUSAI's football divisions are affiliated to the FAI e.g. Irish Universities Football Union, the Womens Soccer Colleges Association of Ireland , to name but two, and all the other Third Level representative associations which are supplying players to the mens and women's teams that will travel to the World Student Games. Therefore the players are on '' international '' duty. And we are not the only University playing in the Under 21 League either.

pineapple stu
07/08/2007, 6:50 PM
Bump.

Any news from this? Can't find anything on the FAI website (!) or the eL one. BBC reports they drew with the Czech Republic yesterday, and someone said they also drew with Thailand. How many of our players are involved?

Edit - answer my own post - line up from the 0-0 draw against the Czechs is here (http://202.29.240.36/). Brennan, Forsyth, Gallagher, Harte (c), Long and McMillan all started; Moran, O'Sullivan and O'Donnell came on as late subs while David Last was on the bench. We play Germany on Thursday and Canada on Saturday.

Schumi
07/08/2007, 8:22 PM
someone said they also drew with Thailand.Drew 1-1 with Uruguay in Thailand in a warm up. Kieran Harte scored. Here (http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/newcastle-pull-plug-on-dyer-1052181.html), half way down.

Schumi
08/08/2007, 3:34 PM
Incidentally, our 21s games do seem to be getting postponed because of this.

JR_Ewing
08/08/2007, 5:31 PM
The FAI is responsible for all international teams representing Ireland. The team is being selected by CUSAI which is the overall body for all third level sports in the country. CUSAI's football divisions are affiliated to the FAI e.g. Irish Universities Football Union, the Womens Soccer Colleges Association of Ireland , to name but two, and all the other Third Level representative associations which are supplying players to the mens and women's teams that will travel to the World Student Games. Therefore the players are on '' international '' duty. And we are not the only University playing in the Under 21 League either.

CUSAI is all ireland too, right? Which would mean it could only be affiliated to the IFA, not the FAI ;)

Aberdonian Stu
08/08/2007, 5:43 PM
I believe it's affiliated to both actually but you'd need to ask Breifne to be sure. He was involved with CUSAI in some way.

JR_Ewing
08/08/2007, 10:49 PM
That was a joke based on the FAI putting the kebosh on the IFA using southern players :D

u21s have a friendly on saturday against Malahide

pineapple stu
09/08/2007, 6:17 PM
Lost 3-0 (http://202.29.240.36/) to Thailand. Brennan, Forsyth, Gallagher, Harte (c), McMillan and Moran all started; Last and O'Donnell came on as subs.

pineapple stu
11/08/2007, 12:38 PM
Lost 2-1 to Canada to finish bottom of the group.

Evan McMillan scored a late consolation.

pineapple stu
01/09/2010, 11:49 AM
Better late than never, but here's highlights of the defeat to Thailand, as shown live on Thai TV. Well worth watching - mad stuff!

x9-7Xi-qxDA

Edit - siucra; got the date wrong. Took me three hours to upload that for some reason, so I'm not uploading it again!