PDA

View Full Version : FIFA U20 World Cup -why not do a Pat Dolan?

Shelsman
02/07/2007, 12:59 PM
The FIFA 020 World Cup is in full flow and looks terrific. Can anyone tell me why no Eircom League clubs aren't doing a Pat Dolan on it and looking to bring some of the players to our league?

See shopping list below:

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/teams/index.html

We'd surely afford to buy players from African clubs and there's probably a lot of players out of contract anyway.

Risteard
02/07/2007, 1:09 PM
Agreed Shelsman.
Exactly the kind of market eL clubs should and probably could be tapping into.
Who did Dolan buy from those kind of teams?

shedite
02/07/2007, 1:24 PM
Work permits would be very tricky to get sorted

galwayhoop
02/07/2007, 3:22 PM
Work permits would be very tricky to get sorted

very difficult.

usually to get work permits in england players need to have played in 80% of their senior national teams games for the last 2 years or 18 months... certain players can appeal around this but it is strict all the same

GavinZac
02/07/2007, 3:32 PM
very unlikely that any eircom league team would sign a non-EU national, outside of Caribbean internationals or what have you, who probably have UK passports anyway, because of work permits.

90% of teams in the world probably couldnt. even english clubs need to bend the rules and send these kids to belgium for a few years.

Dodge
02/07/2007, 4:31 PM
Work Permits are **** easy to get in Ireland for professional sportspeople. There are none of the restrictions that apply to the UK

GavinZac
02/07/2007, 4:36 PM
Work Permits are **** easy to get in Ireland for professional sportspeople. There are none of the restrictions that apply to the UK

how different from the process for normal work permits could it be? a friend of mine did 4 years university here, signed a contract with fidelity in galway and is now unable to work because the irish government decided he doesnt qualify for a work permit.

Shelsman
02/07/2007, 5:00 PM
Agreed Shelsman.
Exactly the kind of market eL clubs should and probably could be tapping into.
Who did Dolan buy from those kind of teams?

Well, first and foremost he brought back Colin Hawkins, Trevor Molloy and Thomas Morgan from the Irish team, all of whom were out of contract in England I think. He also brought in Clive Clarke who was the Canadian U20 captain ( U20 ) and was an excellent full back IMO ( plus he scored the goal that won St. Pats the league that year ).

When you think of players like Charlie Livingstone and Joseph Ndo, there's surely some other very talented players out there who would benefit our league.

I can't see the work permit issue as being a problem if these guys are internationals ( albeit U20, though some may have full caps ). There's also other countries like New Zealand who have 15 out of the 21 strong squad with New Zealand clubs. The Costa Rica squad have 20 out of 21 based with domestic clubs and so on.

Needless to say, the entire North Korea squad is based in their own country -they might be happy to get out? :confused:

superfrank
02/07/2007, 5:26 PM
I'd say a lot of the Congans and Gambians have French passports. They are probably playing inthe French lower leagues or youth teams of the Ligue Une teams. They've probably been in France for a few years too.

I don't know if similar things happen with Nigerians and Zambians.

There's also a lot of South American players with dual nationality. Italian, Spanish or Portuguese. Again they've probably been playing in Europe at youth level.

Overall I'd imagine abtaining work permits wouldn't be so tough. Of course, what's wrong with Czechs or Poles?

superfrank
02/07/2007, 5:28 PM
Needless to say, the entire North Korea squad is based in their own country -they might be happy to get out? :confused:
"The current team is composed of both native North Koreans and Zainichi Koreans born in Japan, of which Ahn Young-Hak is the best known; due to the country's political situation, only zainichi are allowed to join clubs in countries outside North Korea, and it is under their own terms, rather than through state intervention. Similarly, fans who follow the team when playing away matches are often zainichi, as ordinary Northerners are usually not allowed to travel abroad."

Dodge
02/07/2007, 5:30 PM
how different from the process for normal work permits could it be? a friend of mine did 4 years university here, signed a contract with fidelity in galway and is now unable to work because the irish government decided he doesnt qualify for a work permit.

Hugely different. No real point in going into the finer details here suffice to say a professional footballer has never been refused a work permit here

Oh and on the Dolan thing. All those signings were arranged by Noel O'Reilly. It was Jeff Clarke who was the captain of Canada. Mbabazi and Ndo were signed through an agent friend of Eamon Collins

Poor Student
02/07/2007, 10:35 PM
I'd say a lot of the Congans and Gambians have French passports.

Gambia was a British colony so they wouldn't tend to have French passports.

superfrank
03/07/2007, 8:12 AM
Gambia was a British colony so they wouldn't tend to have French passports.
Never knew that.

Shelsman
03/07/2007, 5:07 PM
For anybody wanting to watch brief highlights of each game -see below:

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/video/videolist.html

By the way, surely Ireland should be hosting international youth tournaments? We held the UEFA U-16 tournament before so I don't see why we can't aim for the U-18 then U-19 and U-21 ( at last we'd qualify! ). Maybe we could co-host with the North?
I also don't see why we shouldn't be aiming to hold the U20 World Cup in the future too, maybe when we get the UEFA Cup final when Landsdowne is completed that will get the ball rolling....?

I'd also be delighted to spot talent ( footballing and otherwise ) at the Women's World Cup -Ireland would surely get a full house at each game?

Sheridan
03/07/2007, 5:21 PM
I've seen some of the games. There's been a live match on Eurosport every night. Good standard, but played in front of full, proper stadia (i.e. the kind we don't have here.)

superfrank
03/07/2007, 5:31 PM
For anybody wanting to watch brief highlights of each game -see below:

http://www.fifa.com/u20worldcup/video/videolist.html

By the way, surely Ireland should be hosting international youth tournaments? We held the UEFA U-16 tournament before so I don't see why we can't aim for the U-18 then U-19 and U-21 ( at last we'd qualify! ). Maybe we could co-host with the North?
The under 19s Euro championship was held here in April or May. They played games in Dalymount, the Carlisle, United Park and Belfield, iirc. It's a start anyway.

Dodge
03/07/2007, 5:36 PM
The under 19s Euro championship was held here in April or May. They played games in Dalymount, the Carlisle, United Park and Belfield, iirc. It's a start anyway.

That was only a qualifying group

superfrank
03/07/2007, 7:34 PM
That was only a qualifying group
Not my day today. :o

eirebhoy
04/07/2007, 9:59 AM
Freddy Adu hattrick last night.

passinginterest
04/07/2007, 10:45 AM
Freddy Adu hattrick last night.

Saw his first two goals on Eurosport and they were class finishes. The boy has some serious power in his left boot. Looks like he might be starting to live up to some of the hype. What odds Manchester United suddenly reveal that the maintained an interest in him after all?

ofjames
05/07/2007, 6:36 PM
As far as i know, the fai are talking up a joint bid with the ifa for the under21 champo's in 2011 i think, i definitely heard that somewhere!

Risteard
05/07/2007, 11:35 PM
I'd say eL clubs would be capable of scooping some Copa america players.

Ceirtlis
24/07/2007, 1:04 AM

Is this comment for real? If so i wouldnt think so. There are plenty of professional leagues in South America you know.
As for work permits any old donkey could get one Ryan Lucas, Luther Watson and Eric Levine spring to mind.

red rovers
01/08/2007, 1:22 PM

From what I hear its true and Cork are on the verge of buying Kaka with the money they sold O'Donavon for.While Sligo Rovers and Bohemiens are fighting it out for Messi.And in other news Finn Harps are looking to sign Ronaldino.

Risteard
01/08/2007, 5:39 PM
From what I hear its true and Cork are on the verge of buying Kaka with the money they sold O'Donavon for.While Sligo Rovers and Bohemiens are fighting it out for Messi.And in other news Finn Harps are looking to sign Ronaldino.

:D LMFAO!!!! :D

POTM!!!!!!!

:rolleyes: groan.