PDA

View Full Version : Why no Inter-Toto thread

Pages : 1 2 [3]

paudie
11/07/2007, 12:21 PM
So you're saying that the Almighty Co-efficient is just a way of avoiding having to play real teams in Europe as opposed to someone who might give you a game? How is it a mark of progress (especially in the eyes of non-LoI fans) if you beat a string of mickey mouse outfits? Big deal. Sooner or later you're going to come up against an Odense so whether it's in the first round or subsequently makes no odds.

Anyway, the Almighty Co-efficient is way too complicated to work out so hence another reason not to get a stiffie over it.

the registration season. Chukinyere Ár Lá.

Can't see how being seeded in the first qualifying round of the UEFA Cup/CL is a way of avoiding "real" teams.

The 2nd qualifying round seems to be full of decent opposition so Drogs have to beat 1 "Mickey mouse" team to play those teams, not a string.

Prize money is also bigger for getting to the second round so it would seem easier to beat a team from San Marino to get this money than to beat a Danish team.

Can't see any advantage to being unseeded.

finnpark
11/07/2007, 12:34 PM
Surely people understand that other eircom league teams doing well is good for the league?

OneRedArmy
11/07/2007, 1:26 PM
Surely people understand that other eircom league teams doing well is good for the league?You've got it the wrong way around. The league doing well gives good results in Europe.

pete
11/07/2007, 2:21 PM
If the teams representing the league do well it is good for everyone. Winning 200-300k in prize money plus tv exposure is good.

If an eL team made say the CL group stages the goodwill might end as would affect other clubs badly.

higgins
11/07/2007, 7:39 PM
Of course the coefficient matters..

Getting 100K extra when you draw easier opposition and win is worth it alone!

Also the seeding is not confusing. If anyone gives it 5 mins reading they could work it out.

More money coming into our league and more recognition from non ericom league fans is what a higher seeding brings, ttherefore I think it's very important that we improve our seeding and work hard at keeping it.

OhNoYouDidn't
11/07/2007, 7:43 PM
Of course the coefficient matters..

Getting 100K extra when you draw easier opposition and win is worth it alone!

Also the seeding is not confusing. If anyone gives it 5 mins reading they could work it out.

More money coming into our league and more recognition from non ericom league fans is what a higher seeding brings, ttherefore I think it's very important that we improve our seeding and work hard at keeping it.

THERE ARE NO COEFFICIENT POINTS FOR THE INTERTOTO CUP

micls
11/07/2007, 7:45 PM
THERE ARE NO COEFFICIENT POINTS FOR THE INTERTOTO CUP

Nope but its a way into the Uefa

Big Ears
11/07/2007, 8:06 PM
Nope but its a way into the Uefa

But then again an extra team in UEFA would be a bad thing for the Coefficients if they do poorly .

micls
11/07/2007, 8:08 PM
But then again an extra team in UEFA would be a bad thing for the Coefficients if they do poorly .

If they do poorly of course but if they do well its not....all a bit of a gamble really like

Big Ears
11/07/2007, 8:18 PM
If they do poorly of course but if they do well its not....all a bit of a gamble really like

[bad pun involving Joe Gamble] true , if us having a 4th team in Europe and they break even with what the coefficient would be if there was only 4 then that would be a big positive for me . The more teams we have in Europe the better(again once they don't do crap) .

OhNoYouDidn't
11/07/2007, 8:41 PM
basically there are three schools of though on this

1: cheer for every irish side out of a sense of patriotism/LoI unity

2: Pragmatic cheering for every Irish side, coeficcients, good publicity etc. More a strategy than a conviction.

3: The club fan as opposed to the league fan. Wont cheer for certain clubs under any circumstance.

Im firmly in the third camp. Whether that be for traditional rivalries like the D7 vermin and wanting them to lose regardless of who they play or clubs like Dundalk and Longford who have treated me and my fellow fans so badly over the years that I want to see them fail. The rest fall between indifference and moderate good wishes.

What Langers cant get their heads around is that they cannot unveil the banners they do and be shocked that we dont wish them well against a side that we have genuine friendship with. As I said earlier, dont give Louis Kilcoyne a job and way back into football and expect solidarity from us.

micls
11/07/2007, 8:46 PM
1: cheer for every irish side out of a sense of patriotism/LoI unity

2: Pragmatic cheering for every Irish side, coeficcients, good publicity etc. More a strategy than a conviction.

Im mostly number 2 with a bit of number one thrown in there.

I though it was great tbh. Anytime we get to sing 'Kilcoyne is our hero' only adds to a game....

OhNoYouDidn't
11/07/2007, 8:49 PM
I though it was great tbh. Anytime we get to sing 'Kilcoyne is our hero' only adds to a game....

good for you, thats football rivalry. but dont expect us to laugh back, and definitly dont cry like big girls when we cheer on your opposition. because thats rivalry too.

rebs23
12/07/2007, 9:11 AM
What Langers cant get their heads around is that they cannot unveil the banners they do and be shocked that we dont wish them well against a side that we have genuine friendship with. As I said earlier, dont give Louis Kilcoyne a job and way back into football and expect solidarity from us.

No what some of us langers can't get our head around is that fans of Shamrock Rovers would be arsed travelling to Cork on a Saturday night to support a Swedish team when these same fans profess themselves to be only interested in supporting SR and couldn't give a fiddlers about other clubs.

I wouldn't expect or want solidarity from SR. Personally I couldn't give a damn about other EL clubs.

But listen having said all that if you wanted to pay in to see City play in Europe, (without singing Rovers songs/chants/etc at the game) come down to Cork and have a good night out, etc then I suppose you're more than welcome.