PDA

View Full Version : United v Sunderland on TG4

JC_GUFC
30/06/2007, 3:47 PM
At the start of last night's Pat's v Derry game TG4 were saying that Sunderland's friendlies next month against Bohs, Cork and United will all be live on TV.

JC_GUFC
30/06/2007, 3:53 PM
This is means to be in the Galway United forum - can anyone move it for me?

Cheers,
J

Mr A
30/06/2007, 3:56 PM
This coverage on one hand annoys me because of the whole 'Sunderland are Irish (a bit)' bandwagon crap, but on the other hand if the Irish clubs take this moderately seriously and get decent results it might generate more credibility for the league with the premiership supporting masses.

geezer
30/06/2007, 5:05 PM
id be positive about a full week of promoting some of the wonderful talent we have in the eircom league to an otherwise engaged irish public. Hopefully if they witness the talent of the likes of Regi Nootimeer of GUFC and the many talented players at bohs and cork they may be tempted at some stage to realise whats on their doorsteps on a friday night and join the priveliged eircom league fan.

TG4 are doing a lot for the eircom league Pats V Derry coverage was excellent last night way better than RTE with camera angles and some brilliant goals

FarmHoop
30/06/2007, 5:07 PM
these friendlys are crap, pats are having a match moved because they're playin spurs on thursday, stupid stuff

Big Ears
30/06/2007, 5:25 PM
these friendlys are crap, pats are having a match moved because they're playin spurs on thursday, stupid stuff

They bring in some decent money for the clubs and also get to advertise their product in front of plenty of fans who wouldn't normally go to LOI games .

eirebhoy
30/06/2007, 5:34 PM
This coverage on one hand annoys me because of the whole 'Sunderland are Irish (a bit)' bandwagon crap, but on the other hand if the Irish clubs take this moderately seriously and get decent results it might generate more credibility for the league with the premiership supporting masses.
More like "I'm a LOI supporter and fed up with all the interest in Sunderland". Two words, Roy Keane. No matter who he was in charge of there'd be huge interest in this country. If Maradona was appointed manager of Napoli there'd be huge interest in his home country. It's the LOI fans that are making it a much bigger deal than it actually is. When Roy Keane moves on the bandwagon will follow.

Do you know what Setanta's record viewing figure is? 600k for Roy Keane's Old Firm debut...

oriel
30/06/2007, 6:14 PM
Load of nonense this sudden irish support of sunderland, when keane leaves them in a year or so will they all jump the bandwagon and support whoever he ends up with ?

This type of support is similar to the hordes of irish who 'support' a english premiership club one week then anti england whenever they play an international.

Mr A
30/06/2007, 6:17 PM
More like "I'm a LOI supporter and fed up with all the interest in Sunderland". Two words, Roy Keane. No matter who he was in charge of there'd be huge interest in this country. If Maradona was appointed manager of Napoli there'd be huge interest in his home country. It's the LOI fans that are making it a much bigger deal than it actually is. When Roy Keane moves on the bandwagon will follow.

Do you know what Setanta's record viewing figure is? 600k for Roy Keane's Old Firm debut...

Bloody hell. I honestly never would have made the connection to Roy Keane. Thanks for that.

The difference, of course, is that while Maradona lead his country top world cup victory Keane threw away the chance to captain his country at the world cup.

eirebhoy
30/06/2007, 7:01 PM
The difference, of course, is that while Maradona lead his country top world cup victory Keane threw away the chance to captain his country at the world cup.
Does it really matter? At the end of the day Roy Keane is HUGE in this country.

Load of nonense this sudden irish support of sunderland, when keane leaves them in a year or so will they all jump the bandwagon and support whoever he ends up with ?

This type of support is similar to the hordes of irish who 'support' a english premiership club one week then anti england whenever they play an international.
Supporter? I've yet to meet anyone that suddenly began supporting Sunderland since Quinn, Keane et al took charge. I've as much an interest in Sunderland as the steriotypical person talked about on here. I certainly wouldn't call myself a supporter but I'd absolutely love to see Roy Keane and a team with a few Irish players doing well in the premiership.

You lot get on my nerves as much as the Sunderland bandwagon gets on yours. ;) The interest from Irish people is 100% Roy Keane. I don't think it would be getting anywhere near as much media coverage if Niall Quinn wasn't there though. That doesn't mean Quinn creates more interest, the media just think it does. Forgive me if that doesn't make sense, I've had a few drinks after a long week.

bennocelt
30/06/2007, 10:46 PM

rubbish.........what happens if you actually love Roy Keane?????????? I follow the fortunes of Sunderland simply cause I like Roy, simple isnt it? its not rocket science!

I dont support english teams or england, but i do follow Roy

FarmHoop
30/06/2007, 10:50 PM
They bring in some decent money for the clubs and also get to advertise their product in front of plenty of fans who wouldn't normally go to LOI games .

Yeah i do support that idea, but could they not organise a better time to play the game?

finnpark
01/07/2007, 12:58 PM

Its very difficult to please some fans but the main thing LOI lacks is comfort and facilities. Nice Stadiums, good toilet facilities, easy parking, no queues, no bad language (families) etc . It seems to me that there is no point improving the on field product if your overall product lacks the gloss. I thinkthis idea of teams building sheds and calling them stadiums must go. The facilities at all LOI grounds are not ideal although some are making more effort than others.

gael353
01/07/2007, 1:19 PM
This is means to be in the Galway United forum - can anyone move it for me?

Cheers,
J

Can someone please please move it for him! :(

kdjaC
01/07/2007, 1:27 PM
Tg4 have all Sunderlands game over here on tv.

kdjac

Big Ears
01/07/2007, 2:43 PM
Yeah i do support that idea, but could they not organise a better time to play the game?

With the us having a summer season and English clubs having a winter one I don't think there would ever be a time format which would suit all clubs .

It's unfortunate but it's either accommodate these friendlies now or don't have them at all .

SunderlandBohs
01/07/2007, 5:25 PM
As a Sunderland fan for 17 years I find all this a little annoying. When McCarthy was in charge no one Ireland cared for us & some loved it when we failed! Now all those people are 'Sunderland mad'. Do people in this country realise that people have be following Sunderland in Ireland since the days of Charlie Hurley? Most of are 'fans' never heard of the King. How much are the LOI clubs getting of the TV companies for this.

oriel
03/07/2007, 1:40 PM
what happens if you actually love Roy Keane??????????

Tough luck - he`s married with 4 kids !

sfc red
03/07/2007, 2:12 PM
As a Sunderland fan for 17 years I find all this a little annoying. When McCarthy was in charge no one Ireland cared for us & some loved it when we failed! Now all those people are 'Sunderland mad'. Do people in this country realise that people have be following Sunderland in Ireland since the days of Charlie Hurley? Most of are 'fans' never heard of the King. How much are the LOI clubs getting of the TV companies for this.

"Following Sunderland in Ireland"

"Sunderland fan", Balbriggan, Dublin.

Strange.

Calcio Jack
03/07/2007, 2:18 PM

An early contender for July POTM....nice one Oriel

bennocelt
03/07/2007, 6:47 PM

:D:D:D

SunderlandBohs
04/07/2007, 10:18 AM
"Following Sunderland in Ireland"

"Sunderland fan", Balbriggan, Dublin.

Strange.
What's strange about that?! I live in Balbriggan & support Bohs. Is that not even stranger? Should I not support Glebe North? I picked up of my father & have family over there. Been travelling over since the the late 80's when we were in Div 3. Maybe you should think before you act. But then again your a Shels fan, thinking before you act isn't the Shelbourne way!:D

Dodge
07/07/2007, 10:26 PM
http://ie.setanta.com/portal/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&channel=setantasports1gb&dateadjust=5&

Pats v Spurs on Setanta 1

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2007, 10:32 PM
We've come a long way ... in 1996 RTE couldn't be arsed to show the Champions of Ireland play Slovan Bratislava in a European tie. Now we have ELOI taking on English teams in meaningless friendlies......ar an teilifis ?

Dodge
07/07/2007, 10:34 PM
On a British station... (Setanta Ireland aren't showing it)

kdjaC
07/07/2007, 10:36 PM

Not for us to watch, seems setanta and Pats got more than 5k that tg4 were offering to show it. Which is odd considering the task i have been tasked with by the club, very ****ing odd.

kdjac

eamo1
08/07/2007, 12:53 AM
the first of many i fear.didnt umbro sign a huge deal with sunderland to distribute their jersey here in ireland.btw,did sunderlands crest always have the irish flag in it or is that just recently been put in??????a disgrace if its a permament thing now.

eirebhoy
08/07/2007, 9:06 AM
Setanta Sports 1 is still an Irish station though. If you have Setanta Ireland you have Setanta Sports 1 unless you're with NTL, which would be a large percentage of Dublin. I think I get the point you're making though. They bought the rights of this match to try and get a few Spurs supporters to subscribe. They're showing a good few friendlies this summer.

Dodge
08/07/2007, 10:34 AM
Setanta Sports 1 is still an Irish station though. If you have Setanta Ireland you have Setanta Sports 1 unless you're with NTL, which would be a large percentage of Dublin. I think I get the point you're making though. They bought the rights of this match to try and get a few Spurs supporters to subscribe. They're showing a good few friendlies this summer.

No its a British station ained squarely at the British market. just happens to be owned by an Irish company. The point I was trying to make was that it was diiferent to the rest of our league's coverage by Setanta. I'd assume they'd use different commentators and poor Felix won't get a look in.