PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian asylum seeker becomes Ireland's first black mayor

Superhoops
28/06/2007, 11:50 PM
A Nigerian asylum seeker forced to flee religious persecution in his homeland was today elected Ireland's first black mayor.

Rotimi Adebari, 43, arrived in Portlaoise, Co Laois with his family in 2000 and later set-up an unemployment support group in the county after he failed to get work.

He was first elected to the town council in 2004, pulling in more than 300 votes.

Is he one of Bertie's mob? Farmers in Laois watch out for politcal favours, your land could be at risk!! :D

Risteard
29/06/2007, 3:55 AM
Thought he was SF, no?
Definitely not FF.

BohsPartisan
29/06/2007, 8:27 AM
I'd love to hear a Nigerian bloke saying Tiocfaidh ar lá! :D

Erstwhile Bóz
29/06/2007, 9:35 AM
Thought he was SF, no?
Definitely not FF.
He's an indie. Fine Gael have a pact with bosom buddies Sinn Féin to rotate the mayoralty with the Independents. There's no principle too high to be ridden roughshod over at local level.

Superhoops
29/06/2007, 10:22 AM
He's an indie
thought he was nigerian :D

jebus
29/06/2007, 11:14 AM
The new Ireland , be as open as you can to every sob story to the detrement of your own people.

Yeah those damn Nigerians tales of mutilation, rape and murder are nothing compared to your tale of sorrow :rolleyes:

pete
29/06/2007, 12:04 PM
This is just another example of this country and how it is fcuked up , a former Nigerian asylum seeker is elected mayor but when I went to execute my right to vote in the last election I found that my name had been removed from the register without my knowledge.

I am getting the money together and heading to Nigeria claiming asylum from political persecution.

The new Ireland , be as open as you can to every sob story to the detrement of your own people.

I was not aware that the two issues were mutually exclusive. Did they take your vote away & give to him? :confused:

Do you wanbt us to collect donations to help you with the travel costs to Nigeria?

dahamsta
29/06/2007, 1:16 PM
Hilarious. :rolleyes:

DaveyCakes
29/06/2007, 2:14 PM
A Nigerian asylum seeker forced to flee religious persecution in his homeland was today elected Ireland's first black mayor.

Rotimi Adebari, 43, arrived in Portlaoise, Co Laois with his family in 2000 and later set-up an unemployment support group in the county after he failed to get work.

He was first elected to the town council in 2004, pulling in more than 300 votes.

Is he one of Bertie's mob? Farmers in Laois watch out for politcal favours, your land could be at risk!! :D

300 votes is all you need to get elected??..and by the "more than 300" there it seems that's a huge result...

DaveyCakes
29/06/2007, 2:15 PM
I was not aware that the two issues were mutually exclusive.

Don't you mean not mutually exclusive. Pedantry, I know, sorry!