PDA

View Full Version : UEFA Cup Draw (Drogs seeded)

Danny
28/06/2007, 12:33 PM
Drogs are actually seeded
pats are the top non seeded team

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/uefacup/news/kind=1/newsid=556124.html

Dodge
28/06/2007, 12:59 PM
Keeping this seperate as the other one gone all over the shop

Great news for Drogs. Should be strong favourites to beat any one of those teams.

Fredrikstad got removed from this round and placed in the second round.

joeSoap
28/06/2007, 1:05 PM
Can Drogs draw Pats then?

Drogs should be able for any of those unseeded teams, and if Pats can stay away from the top 6 seeds, they shouldn't fear any of them either.

Dodge
28/06/2007, 1:09 PM
We can't get Drogs until the quarter final :D

Réiteoir
28/06/2007, 1:13 PM
Keeping this seperate as the other one gone all over the shop

Great news for Drogs. Should be strong favourites to beat any one of those teams.

Fredrikstad got removed from this round and placed in the second round.

It's actually due to UEFA adding Kaerjeng and Libertas to the Northern section for some insane reason

ifk101
28/06/2007, 1:18 PM
Excellent news for Drogs. Improves their progression chances no end.

Dodge
28/06/2007, 1:19 PM
No they were the next highest seeds and when Sevilla won the competition it meant the holders spot was gone so Fredrikstad go the bump up. Luxembourg have been in our group before so no major shock there but the San marino spot is new. Obviously put in to even up the numbers

Réiteoir
28/06/2007, 1:26 PM
I'll do a comparison with the Kassies lists and the UEFA ones when I get a chance later - highlighting the moves between geographical groups.

FFK don't appear in his lists of those entering the first round - as in line with the UEFA one

Réiteoir
28/06/2007, 1:37 PM
UEFA changes from Kassies list

Northern Group

UN Kaerjeng transferred from Southern section and added to unseeded
Libertas transferred from Southern section and added to unseeded
FC Haka upgraded to seeds
Drogheda upgraded to seeds
No other changes

-------------------------------

Central East

Zimbru Chisnau downgraded to unseeded
Dinamo Brest removed from unseeded teams and this round of qualifying
Dinamo Minsk removed from unseeded teams and this round of qualifying

-------------------------------

Southern

Siroki Brijeg downgraded to unseeded
UN Kaerjeng moved to Northern section
Libertas moved to Northern section

paul_oshea
28/06/2007, 1:46 PM
if drogheda won then who could they be facing now then? ( it was a netherlands team was it? )

its 3 rounds and the group stage isnt it? but do they become unseeded in teh second round?

Lionel Ritchie
28/06/2007, 1:50 PM
Hee hee ...foreign names are funny.

I wonder if Omonia fans are know as the p1ssheads or something similar.

As for Bernes Young Boys -they must have the quietest terraces in football.
Who the hell's going to sing 'Stand Up if You Love Young Boys!!!'?:eek:

Steve Bruce
28/06/2007, 1:50 PM
if drogheda won then who could they be facing now then? ( it was a netherlands team was it? )

its 3 rounds and the group stage isnt it? but do they become unseeded in teh second round?

Yes they become unseeded.

Dodge
28/06/2007, 1:52 PM
They’re defo unseeded but where are you getting the Dutch team from?

Réiteoir
28/06/2007, 1:57 PM
Hee hee ...foreign names are funny.

I wonder if Omonia fans are know as the p1ssheads or something similar.

Gets better - Young Boys Berne play at the Wankdorf Stadium :cool:

Brendan
28/06/2007, 2:16 PM
They’re defo unseeded but where are you getting the Dutch team from?

think he might be referring to the fact that IK Start, the Norwegian team that put us out last year, were drawn against Ajax in the next round.

paul_oshea
28/06/2007, 3:39 PM
think he might be referring to the fact that IK Start, the Norwegian team that put us out last year, were drawn against Ajax in the next round.

No, I thought I saw on the link on the other thread that the winners of the irl/some other two countries would be playing a netherland team, but i read it wrong as that makes no sense.

Jerry The Saint
28/06/2007, 3:53 PM
No, I thought I saw on the link on the other thread that the winners of the irl/some other two countries would be playing a netherland team, but i read it wrong as that makes no sense.

Probably thinking of the Intertoto.

Shelsman
28/06/2007, 4:58 PM
Getting both Welsh teams would be interesting. Dungannon Swifts would be sweet too though Glentoran could be awkward. San Marino, Luxembourg or the Faroes teams would be nice. The Belarus teams might be awkward and the icelanders may not be as easy as one would think. I nice trip to Wales would be fantastic though.

I wonder will Setanta show any of the games? If we get a team from the North they might do. I'd definitely try and get to the away legs in Wales if either Drogheda or Pats get a Welsh team.

bennocelt
28/06/2007, 6:49 PM
Derry City:

A good draw would be New Saints, the Maltese/Estonis teams, but i would fancy Derry to beat all the unseeded teams, but some could cause problems...like the Montengro, Belarus, or Kaz entries

for the second round...if they progress.............The Cypriot team has to be the one we all want, but I also would fancy getting that Hungarian side..Debrecen
could you imagine if they got Rangers!?

Drogheda:great news that they are seeded since it makes a world of difference, they should beat any of the unseeded teams, but again a Welsh, san Marino, Iceland, Faroe team would be nice, but I dont like those Belarussians

St Pats:As someone pointed out, Fc Haka would be nice, since they are in the second div now
A latvian/Lithuanian team would be good
even though irish teams have been beating scandinavian teams for a while they are still tough enough to crack, and to get a Danish or Norwegian team would be hard, but I guess if you beat them you get their high co efficients which for OB Odense (15.129) and Valerengen (11.509) is high (is this correct?)

ok thats what i am hoping for tomorrow
anyone else?

fergalr
28/06/2007, 7:03 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAAyFUb1seg

Yeah - right.

Celdrog
28/06/2007, 7:15 PM
Getting both Welsh teams would be interesting. Dungannon Swifts would be sweet too though Glentoran could be awkward. San Marino, Luxembourg or the Faroes teams would be nice. The Belarus teams might be awkward and the icelanders may not be as easy as one would think. I nice trip to Wales would be fantastic though.
I wonder will Setanta show any of the games? If we get a team from the North they might do. I'd definitely try and get to the away legs in Wales if either Drogheda or Pats get a Welsh team.

Shouldn't be. We beat them home and away in the Setanta and we were practically in pre-season.
We would have had a decent chance against most of the seeded teams (as Pats will). We should easily beat all the unseeded teams (of course we can't draw Pats:D) so it will be good for the co-efficient but most of the trips are absolute nightmares:mad:

The EL teams euro runs for the last few years are really paying off now.

TonyD
28/06/2007, 7:53 PM
I'm just thankful Pats can't get Z***** C******

ger121
28/06/2007, 8:20 PM
As most have posted, the unseeded sides for the most part areseem easy enough. The ones to avoid for Drogheda are the Belarussian sides. Could be tricky away legs against either. I'm sure Pats would hope for Finnish, Latvian or Lithuanian teams. The Swedish team Hacken would be a good tie also.

pete
28/06/2007, 8:32 PM
Huge boost to Drogs being seeded & possibly makes Pats task harder as they now cannot get drawn against the lowest seeded team (Drogs).

Drogs have great chance of two wins too as Wales & Northern Ireland (Glentoran in pre season with first team players on holidays) teams should be well beatable not to mention the countries below them. Faroes, Luxembourg & San Marino would be a gift.

Dodge
29/06/2007, 11:39 AM
Draw starting soon. Hoping for Hacken. DOn't want Odense, the Norweians or Lithuanians

Kildare Lad
29/06/2007, 11:43 AM
Anywhere I could watch the draw?

Kildare Lad
29/06/2007, 12:05 PM
Pats -v- Odense
Drogheda -v- Libertas

Dodge
29/06/2007, 12:08 PM
Easiiest draw possibe for Drogs, hardest draw possible for Pats.

Cymro
29/06/2007, 12:11 PM
Nice draw for Drogheda.

St. Pats will face a very strong team in Odense. Saw them play last season and they are way above the level of the average 1st round side. Championship level at least.

pete
29/06/2007, 12:12 PM
Where are you getting Uefa Cup Draw from?

:confused:

SPXcyan
29/06/2007, 12:18 PM
UEFA.com is the best place for it

Jaime
29/06/2007, 12:20 PM
UEFA Cup First Qualifying Round

Drogheda (seeded) -v- Libertas (SAN MARINO)
Dungannon -v- Sudova (seeded) (LITHUANIA)
St Patrick's -v- Odense (seeded) (DENMARK)
Glentoran -v- AIK (seeded) (SWEDEN)

refjohn
29/06/2007, 12:21 PM
Easiiest draw possibe for Drogs, hardest draw possible for Pats.

that sums it up. Drogs through - Pats in with a chance. Shels ran them close after a dismal first leg last year and as half the Shels lads are at Pats they will fancy some revenge!

pete
29/06/2007, 12:27 PM
UEFA.com is the best place for it

I found it eventually. I just saw they had no article about & assumed no draw yet.

Drogs got very lucky as the seeding has basically given them a bye to the 2nd qualifying round. No San Marino team has even gotten a draw in the last years & they get beaten heavily in all games. The travel won;t be too bad either. Two wins should at least guarantee 0.666 coefficient points.

Pats got the draw from hell but at least they at home first so better chance of good crowd. Will need to win at home even by 1-0 to have chance of progression. I think Pats have good chance of getting a result at home although may only be a draw.

Derry got terrible draw but if they are professional the long away trip should not deter them from beating an unseeded team. If travelling to Armenia was so bad they would have a seeded team by now. Derrys current form is of more concern.

Touch wood i predict coefficient total of 1.5 to 2.0 points as I feel all team with contribute.

Graemerz
29/06/2007, 12:32 PM
Odense played Ballymena United in the Intertoto three years ago and beat them 7 in Ballymena.

Bluebeard
29/06/2007, 12:47 PM
Drogs through

Dunno. Libertas could prove to be the handful in the group yet...

Cymro
29/06/2007, 12:49 PM
Dunno. Libertas could prove to be the handful in the group yet...

Think of the irony if Drogheda were to get through 2-1 with a goal seven minutes into extra time. :D

It won't happen though. Drogheda will wallop them.

Bluebeard
29/06/2007, 12:51 PM
Drogheda will wallop them.
Drogs should hammer the San Marino Senior side, even with Doolin in charge.

Cymro
29/06/2007, 12:51 PM
UEFA Cup First Qualifying Round
Dungannon -v- Sudova (seeded) (LITHUANIA)

I should add this is a great chance for Dungannon to get through. Lithuanian league aside from Kaunas is not great. Rhyl came close against Suduva last year and beat Atlantas the year before.

Definitely doable that.

seand
29/06/2007, 1:05 PM
Awesome draw for the Drogs, very tough one for Pats though.

bigmac
29/06/2007, 1:42 PM
What are the general predictions for coefficient points so?
Conservative

Drogs - 2 wins
Derry - home draw, away loss
Pats - 2 losses

Total of 1 point added on.

Optimistic (but still realistic)

Drogs - 2 wins
Derry - home win, away draw
Pats - home win, away loss or 2 draws

Total of 1.5 points

1.5 wouldn't be too bad, there's always a chance of picking up some more points in the next round as well. Assuming other countries around us have average years, we should pick up 2 or 3 places and get both teams seeded for the UEFA Cup. Drogs got a huge slice of luck to get seeded unexpectebdly and then draw the weakest team available. Hope they can capitalise with two wins now.

gspain
29/06/2007, 2:29 PM
Drogheda should progress comfortably. Might be best from a coefficient perspective if they didn't win the 1st leg by too many and get complacent for the 2nd leg. They could still draw the likes of Dunfermline then in the next round and earn more points. i'd strongly fancy Drogheda to beat Dunfermline albeit maybe not with 2 wins.

Derry will hopefully at least pick up a win. I iamgine that tie will be very close with Derry maybe having a slight advantage.

OB would be favourites to take out Pats. Hopefully Pats can at least manage a home draw or even a win to boost the coefficient.

DannyInvincible
01/07/2007, 3:16 PM
With both Drogheda and St. Pat's having an equal co-efficient of 2.145, how was it decided that Drogheda ought to be promoted to seeded status as opposed to St. Pat's?

Cymro
01/07/2007, 3:24 PM
With both Drogheda and St. Pat's having an equal co-efficient of 2.145, how was it decided that Drogheda ought to be promoted to seeded status as opposed to St. Pat's?

Alphabetical order perhaps? Or the club coefficients? The national one which is the 2.145 decides the seeding because it's higher than either Drogheda's or St. Pats' club ones, but I think Drogheda would likely have a higher club coefficient than St.Pats, hence them being seeded.......

gspain
01/07/2007, 3:59 PM

Neither side has a club coefficient as these are only available from September on. However Drogheda contributed more to the national coefficient than St Pats.

pete
01/07/2007, 9:28 PM

Probably because Drogs qualified via the league whereas Pats were Cup runner up. It might have been different if Pats had won the Cup?

pineapple stu
01/07/2007, 9:35 PM
Exactly that reason. League takes precedence over Cup. Think similar happened with Longford a while back. (Nothing'd have changed if Pat's won the Cup, incidentally)

I'd agree with bigmac's conservative points tally; maybe give Pat's a result at home. However, with losing 0.166 from five years ago, that should still be enough to move up a place or two in the rankings (we're up one place already just by discarding five years ago).

Lithuania's 6.499 (just 0.333 ahead of us now) is the target to ensure seeding in the UEFA next year.

pete
01/07/2007, 9:49 PM
Lithuania's 6.499 (just 0.333 ahead of us now) is the target to ensure seeding in the UEFA next year.

I think the important thing is that all 3 teams contribute points. IMO that is why the eL has jumped up in recent seasons.

With only 0.333 to lose next season very realistic change to move into the top 30 which will be real progress from a few years ago. The next step will be much harder though but seeding may help.

Schumi
01/07/2007, 10:28 PM
Exactly that reason. League takes precedence over Cup. Think similar happened with Longford a while back. (Nothing'd have changed if Pat's won the Cup, incidentally)I thought the opposite happened a couple of years ago. :confused: