Fulcrum

FREE ADMISSION - ALL AGES GIG
McGarrigles O Connell St Sligo

Sunday August 5th 8pm - late

Onslaught
Carnun Rising
Sorrowfall

Inisfree Bar, High St Sligo C/C - €15

Entry is €10 at the door on Friday and Saturday Night while Sunday Night is priced at €15. Tickets for Sunday Nights events are available online at www.sligowhiplash.com and from Sentinel records in Dublin and Third Wave Music in Sligo. Weekend tickets can also be bought at a reduced rate of €30 from the same sources. Check the website for details

The Official Festival web-site address is www.sligowhiplash.com where updates will be provided and links to and mp3 samples of the bands playing at Whiplash are provided. The Whiplash Crew can be contacted at crew@sligowhiplash.com

HomeBrewPlease
27/06/2007, 7:50 PM
http://www.sligowhiplash.com/images/SWL2007-big.jpg

SkStu
27/06/2007, 8:08 PM
http://bezouro.blogs.sapo.pt/arquivo/rock_pope.jpg

paul_oshea
28/06/2007, 9:00 AM
good to see this still going, is this the third anniversary now? Hope it goes well. waylander are a good band, does that fella martin mccormack still play with them?

SaucyJack
28/06/2007, 12:27 PM
Spitknot?...is this a slipknot tribute band? or some sort of joke band?

anto1208
28/06/2007, 12:36 PM
I thought this whole thing was just a joke do people still listen to metal ?

I thought ye would have grown out of it once ye hit 15

paul_oshea
28/06/2007, 1:31 PM
anto, when you know and appreciate good music, and more importantly can play an instrument or more than 1, if one of them is drums or guitar you generally appreciate music more and therefore have an appreciation for rock/metal. its not simple and effective crap.

check out shred guitaring for an example ;)

NavanBohs
28/06/2007, 4:26 PM
Spitknot?...is this a slipknot tribute band? or some sort of joke band?

Heard of them before, yeah they are a tribute band as far as I know, if its the same one Im thinking of I think theyre English?

Id love to go to this and see what its like.

Lionel Ritchie
28/06/2007, 5:13 PM
anto, when you know and appreciate good music, and more importantly can play an instrument or more than 1, if one of them is drums or guitar you generally appreciate music more and therefore have an appreciation for rock/metal. its not simple and effective crap.

check out shred guitaring for an example ;)

I almost entirely disagree. Though I come from a punk/indie background and perspective I listen to metal and have zero interest in the Malmsteins, the Satrianis, the Van Halens etc...

I think one of Metals weakest points and greatest achilles heels is it's indulgence of technically proficient virtuoso who have sweet fcuk all creative or new to offer.

Though I will concede that, as a drummer, I enjoy listening to ...for example... the sheer speed of the kicks the likes of Charlie Benante or Lars Ulrich can pump out. I don't think that makes me two-faced because both those guys drive bands that, for a mixture of reasons, continue to challenge their own fanbase and at varying stages of their careers have seriously pushed the envelope.

SaucyJack
29/06/2007, 12:37 PM
as far as metal goes, I think Lamb of God are pretty good.

SaucyJack
29/06/2007, 6:42 PM
on the topic of Metal, at least death metal, a site for some laughs...

http://warehouse.carlh.com/article_141/

declan hide
30/06/2007, 9:39 AM
I thought ye would have grown out of it once ye hit 15

whys that?

HomeBrewPlease
30/06/2007, 12:42 PM
Heard of them before, yeah they are a tribute band as far as I know, if its the same one Im thinking of I think theyre English?

Id love to go to this and see what its like.They are a Tribute band from Belfast.

Heres a few links to Myspace pages for some mp3s

http://www.myspace.com/spitknot

http://www.myspace.com/onslaughtuk

http://www.myspace.com/clanwaylander

http://www.myspace.com/celticlegacy

http://www.myspace.com/carnunrising

http://www.myspace.com/viocosis

paul_oshea
03/07/2007, 11:21 AM
I almost entirely disagree. Though I come from a punk/indie background and perspective I listen to metal and have zero interest in the Malmsteins, the Satrianis, the Van Halens etc...

I think one of Metals weakest points and greatest achilles heels is it's indulgence of technically proficient virtuoso who have sweet fcuk all creative or new to offer.

Though I will concede that, as a drummer, I enjoy listening to ...for example... the sheer speed of the kicks the likes of Charlie Benante or Lars Ulrich can pump out. I don't think that makes me two-faced because both those guys drive bands that, for a mixture of reasons, continue to challenge their own fanbase and at varying stages of their careers have seriously pushed the envelope.

I entirely disagree - almost.

whilst I cant imagine myself sitting through a malmstein, satriani, vai or gilbert 2 and a half hour session ( mainly because very little singing to distract), i beleive that these are extremely creative and original. To say that anyone played like malmstein before he started what he did, i mean he got his own style named after him is more than a little naive.

Originality is what breaks boundaries, and thats why metal is still strong and alive after almost 40 years. Its also the speed and detail that originally caught my imagination and got me into it.

bellavistaman
10/07/2007, 10:35 AM
theres a good cork metal band called wardog i think, they are gettin great reviews.

paul_oshea
10/07/2007, 1:04 PM
did anyone see in the sunday world it said slipknot were pkaying at the metalfest?!?! it will be funny when a 100 or so teenagers descend on metalfest hoping to see slipknot!!! :D

red metal
13/07/2007, 6:42 PM
heads will roll in the sunday world for that little slip up!

Lionel Ritchie
13/07/2007, 8:01 PM
did anyone see in the sunday world it said slipknot were pkaying at the metalfest?!?! it will be funny when a 100 or so teenagers descend on metalfest hoping to see slipknot!!!

Something similar happened in Limerick a few years back when a dozy hack reported that Wheatus (them of Teenage Dirtbag fame) were playing a gig in The High Stool (cap:200!!!).

Not unlike when Juliette Lewis & The Licks play in Limerick the gig ended up jammed with people who under normal circumstances would not be caught dead at a gig, who stank the place out of it with what I believe hairdressers call "product" and were now stepping over each other to share a room and breath the same hairspray sodden air with famous people.

Then one of them noticed the band were actually called WHEAT. :D:D:D

Bottle of Tonic
16/07/2007, 7:48 PM
On the same weekend there is another festival in Drumshanbo, leitrim. I checked the website, saifestival.com and it doesn't mention metal or punk music but I saw a poster for it in the sound cellar recently and it listed dozens of punk bands from all over ireland that are due to play it that weekend. Not really sure what the craic with it is, but looks interesting. If I was in the country I'd def be checking it out. Might be worth going to if you have a taste for underground punk. There used to be a similar thing in Knockcroghary, Co. Roscommon a few years back, organised by local punks and it was deadly.
Just thought I'd mention it here as anyone going to Sligo could pop into Drumshanbo for look.

red metal
17/07/2007, 10:31 AM
A load of s*h*i*t that fest cops keep stoping it!The cops keep on raiding it and telling them to shout it down!

paul_oshea
17/07/2007, 10:42 AM
shout it down, why are theynot roaring loud enough red metal?

bottle of tonic, i remember that festival in knockcroghary, though i never went, i heard it was more metal though thank punk, a couple of bands from boyle played in it.

Bottle of Tonic
17/07/2007, 10:02 PM
The last time I went to 'Knockrockstock' was about 5 years ago, nearly all touring punk bands, and the cops shut it down on the second night in a supposed 'drugs bust'. Dunno if its been on since

red metal
22/07/2007, 10:18 AM
Got a ticket for it €30 euro for the weekend not bad at all!

red metal
02/08/2007, 1:26 AM
this weekend il miss the cork game:(But a weekend of metal:D:D:

HomeBrewPlease
03/08/2007, 3:45 PM
First band onstage tonight at 9pm. €10 on the door

Weekend tickets will still be available for just €30 on the door tonight.

Tonights line up in order of appearance

Raging Conflict (in place of Two Tales of Woe)
Residual Effect
Spitknot
Celtic Legacy

NavanBohs
03/08/2007, 4:19 PM
Id love to go to that, see if its any good. Pity it aint on during the college year because Id be sorted for staying up there in my mates place then...

red metal
04/08/2007, 2:35 PM
savage night last night.The place was going mental!:D:D:D

Partizan
08/08/2007, 9:03 PM
Going mad that I didnt go to it. Is it on every year? Perfect excuse to head off to Sligo and environs. If its on again next year I suggest all the metal heads on foot.ie get together and head off.

paul_oshea
10/08/2007, 11:24 AM
partizan id be up for that!