PDA

View Full Version : Spurs to play St Pats friendly (live on Setanta 1)

Stiof
27/06/2007, 3:51 PM
http://www.tottenhamhotspur.com/news/articles/stpatricksfriendly.html

Anyone have any idea of prices, etc?
Cheers

kdjaC
27/06/2007, 4:36 PM
PREMIERSHIP GLAMOUR TO COME TO INCHICORE
The good news continues for fans of Saint Patrick’s Athletic Football Club. Currently 2nd in the eircom League of Ireland, and with a new board of directors in place to oversee the dawn of a new era for the Inchicore side, it has been confirmed that English giants Tottenham Hotspur will travel to Richmond Park to take on the “Saints” on Thursday July 12th with a provisional kick-off time of 7.45pm.

Announcing the fixture Director of Football, Brian Kerr said:

“This will be a really good test for us half way through our season and given the quality of the current Spurs squad it should prove to be a very attractive fixture, not just for our fans but for all football people in Dublin. Johnny McDonnell and I are conscious of the need to test our squad against the best opposition possible in advance of the UEFA Cup which starts a week later on Thursday July 19th 2007. “

Commenting, Club Chairman, Garrett Kelleher said:

“We have done a certain amount of work on the facilities at Richmond Park and while, longer term, we intend to refurbish the whole stadium, we are better positioned now to host such an exciting fixture. The FAI has facilitated us by moving our home League fixture with Longford Town from Friday 13th to Sunday July 15th. We are grateful to them and to Longford for their co-operation.”

The match will see Kerr and his former assistant at international level, Chris Hughton, who is 1st team coach at Spurs, on opposite sides and will also see one of Kerr’s protégés at underage level, Robbie Keane, play a club game in Ireland for the first time since he was made captain of Ireland.

Hughton, and manager Martin Jol, helped guide Spurs to a fifth place finish in last season’s FA Premiership and saw his team narrowly beaten by the eventual winners, Sevilla, in the quarter finals of the UEFA Cup, losing out 4-3 on aggregate.

Domestic fans are sure to come out in numbers to see the star-studded English visitors who include amongst their ranks the exciting trio of England internationals Aaron Lennon, Jermaine Jenas and Jermaine Defoe as well as the talented Bulgarian Dimitar Berbatov who forged such an effective partnership with Keane last season.

Ticket prices range from €35 for the main stand to €20 for general ground admission. A limited amount of concession tickets will be available for all areas of the stadium strictly on a one for one basis. Tickets will be available from tomorrow (Thursday 28th June) from St Patrick’s Athletic at Richmond Park, 125 Emmet Road, Inchicore, Dublin 8. The ticket hotline number is (01) 454633

Barstoolers only afaik :D

At them prices it may well be :)

kdjac

NeilMcD
27/06/2007, 4:47 PM
As a Bohs fan I will hopefully get along to see it and check up on Pats ahead of the game in October!!!! and check up on Robbie Keane.

Supersaint
03/07/2007, 7:40 PM
sold out today.i wonder how many irish-spurs fans will be there.

jorge
04/07/2007, 3:13 PM
Im suprise it sold out seen as the prices were a bit steep even still id say yous have made a fortune.

Saint07
04/07/2007, 7:36 PM
said on the web page that if season ticket holders didn't take theirs there'd be more on sale in the morning. any ideas if there is any left?? A mate is lookin for some!

Dodge
04/07/2007, 9:21 PM
best to call the club at 9 am tomorrow morning

Fester
05/07/2007, 10:24 AM
best to call the club at 9 am tomorrow morning

Does not open until 9.30 am

Dodge
05/07/2007, 10:28 AM
Sold out anyway

WexDec
05/07/2007, 1:21 PM
Im suprise it sold out seen as the prices were a bit steep even still id say yous have made a fortune.

Have to cover Robbie Keane's appearance fee though ! :eek: :D

WexDec
05/07/2007, 1:23 PM
If anybody hears of spares going myself and some mates are looking. 4 adults and 2 kids though looks like its just 20 and 35 anyway, anything would do. Cheers.

sfc red
05/07/2007, 1:31 PM
Great bit of business by Pats.

Dodge
07/07/2007, 10:25 PM
Live on Setanta 1

http://ie.setanta.com/portal/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&channel=setantasports1gb&dateadjust=5&

reder
12/07/2007, 8:52 AM
Where is the best place to park here tonight. Bringing my nephew to watch the cockney's.

Dodge
12/07/2007, 9:05 AM
You'd want to get their early. Anything after 6 and you could struggle if you don't know Inchicore. There's no car park so its all street parking. Depending on where you're coming from it might be an idea to park on graaten crecent which is about 5-10 minutes walk away but gives you easy access to the n4, n7 roads. Otherwise any of the side streets off Bulfin road, or around St michaels Church (right opposit ground) will do.

WexDec
12/07/2007, 10:14 AM
Heading there this evening getting Luas into St. Stephen's Green and then seems to be options of 51B, 51C 78A buses or Luas (a highly integrated system) to Goldenbridge or Drimnagh. Now taking into account I don't know the area at all and am meeting a mate at the Hilton which route would anybody reckon is the easiest/quickest ? I'm thinking at least Luas isn't prone to traffic but how do I get from either stop to the ground/Hilton ?

Dodge
12/07/2007, 10:24 AM
Get the 68, 69 or 79 bus as they stop right outside the Hilton (@ Kilmainham Gaol)

Goldenbridge is probably the best luas stop for Richmond. Cross the canal and veer left. its about a 3-5 minute walk away down a leafy avenue

The 51b, 51c and 78a all stop right outside the ground

paul_oshea
13/07/2007, 8:50 AM
was there always a hilton there? i never remember one there.

anyhow is there highlights of this if it were shown on setanta? sounds like a good game from what i read.

Dodge
13/07/2007, 8:55 AM
Hilton's only open a couple of months. Check it out on their website. Looks fairly posh

Decent enough game.

http://ie.setanta.com/portal/systemcontent/tvschedule?open&action=channel1

Its on at 4pm today on Setanta 1

paul_oshea
13/07/2007, 9:13 AM
Pre-Season Friendly - St Patrick's Athletic vs Tottenham
Another chance to catch Thursday's football action as the Irish side St Patrick's Athletic take on Tottenham Hotspur

why does it say on an irish listing "as the irish side".....and put spurs just normal. i know its on setanta uk as well but still....

will there be any highlights on the pats page as i dont think i will get to see this.

Sheridan
13/07/2007, 9:17 AM
There was full, delayed coverage (unadvertised) on Setanta Ireland last night from about 9.45. Fairly enjoyable, British comms very patronising though (apparently Pat's made so many subs in order to give everyone a game against the great Tottenham rather than because they have bigger fish to fry next week.)

£16.5m for Darren Bent :eek:. Although whatever Pat's are paying Michael Keane looks equally extortionate on the evidence of last night, he'll neeed a couple of months to slim down before he becomes a useful asset. Looked like a poor, fat man's Keith Fahey.

lofty9
13/07/2007, 9:25 AM
. Although whatever Pat's are paying Michael Keane looks equally extortionate on the evidence of last night, he'll neeed a couple of months to slim down before he becomes a useful asset. Looked like a poor, fat man's Keith Fahey.

He's up there with Keith Foy! Shocking size of a head on him too. Did Johnny Mac actually meet this guy before he was signed? No self respecting manager should sign a player so out of condition.

PS Pats, Thanks for giving us money for Dave Rogers. One of the worst defenders I've seen in a Derry shirt.

Dodge
13/07/2007, 9:42 AM
In fairness Rogers looks a good player so far.

Keane impressed me tbh. He obviously hasn't trained since the end of the English season but he's lost a decent bit of weight since his debut in Waterford a week ago so I've no doubts he'll get fit. He lasted the pace too (until his part timeness tired him out against the mighty Tottenham Hotspur, still at least he has something to tell the grankids)

paul; probably won't be anything on the Pats site. Its a rights thing

ifk101
13/07/2007, 10:00 AM
Agree with Sheridan - I found Setanta's "expert" commentary to be very condescending at times.

However Spurs looked very strong and IMO bossed the game 95% of the time. But in saying that Pats looked defensively comfortable enough in the second half and bar that point-blank save at the end, Spurs didn't really have that many goal scoring chances in the second half.

I thought Mark Quigley showed some nice touches in the first half for Pats. Was Michael Keane the bald-headed chap? If so, I thought he did fine - didn't look out place.

NY Hoop
13/07/2007, 11:14 AM
Agree with Sheridan - I found Setanta's "expert" commentary to be very condescending at times.

Agree. Macari remarked that he thought Pats would fade in the second half. Why would they if they're full time and in the middle of the season?

No marks to the "Irish" who turned up to support an english side over their own and a tricolour with THFC on it.

Showed people viewing from the park near the camac too!

What's the story with the stand? Doesnt look like it will be ready for the European game??

KOH

Dodge
13/07/2007, 11:33 AM
It will be ready. It just has to be placed into that space. Doing it on Monday afaik

Total muppet fest there last night but sold out @ inflated prices and the pub packed from 6pm to closing time so happy days

reder
13/07/2007, 12:46 PM
Very dull game overall. I would be mightly annoyed if I paid €25 or €35 to watch it. Luckily my tickets were free.:D Some amount of cockney's over for it. Cant stand them but fair play to them for travelling over for a friendly.

Scoreline was deceptive, Pats offered nothing as an attacking force and were overrun in middle. The badly, stocky guy in midfield for pats (number 8 I think) looks like a good footballer.

PS: that irish flag with THFC on it is at every spurs home game.

Also where were all the pats fans last night? Do you only get a few thousand at home games?

NY Hoop
13/07/2007, 12:56 PM
PS: that irish flag with THFC on it is at every spurs home game.

Dont care. Still a joke. Hope Pats made a mint from the muppets.

Fair play with the stand.

KOH

Dodge
13/07/2007, 1:13 PM
Very dull game overall. I would be mightly annoyed if I paid €25 or €35 to watch it.
One of more entertaining friendlies I've seen. Still rubbish comapred to real football though

Some amount of cockney's over for it. Cant stand them but fair play to them for travelling over for a friendly. Sound bunch. Got talking to a few. They reckon they should sign Barry Ryan and think they'd get him for "about two million quid". :D

Scoreline was deceptive, Pats offered nothing as an attacking force They scored none, how is that deceptive? Spurs could've had a couple more early on but I think had one chance in the second half

Also where were all the pats fans last night? Do you only get a few thousand at home games?
Nobody in Ireland gets more than a few thousand at any game. Loads of fans I know didn't bother paying the extra money for a friendly. Even know a few who were away when tickets sold out.

From the reports I'm hearing NY Hoop, we did alright ;)

reder
13/07/2007, 1:17 PM
Dont care. Still a joke. Hope Pats made a mint from the muppets.

Fair play with the stand.

KOH

I did not hear or see one advertisement for St pat EL games or tickets. There were announcements for ticket sales for the european game but no visible signage towards the point of ticket sales.

Inside of doing a one off rip-off (the tickets were peanuts compared to standard spurs ticket prices) of locals they should have focused on promoting St. pats.

Pats did more than alright but thought 2-0 to spurs would have been a fairer reflection on the game.

Ash
13/07/2007, 1:24 PM
I just got a call at lunch time yesterday to say there was a freebie ticket
for me if I wanted (my mate is a Spurs fan) so we headed up to the game.
I was int he stand, near the corner at the Shed End.

Barry Ryan played very well ... apart from the one that went straight
through him and the defender. He looked fairly tubby in the warm up!
That was the 1st time I saw him play since the UCD-Athlone Town
play off a few seasons ago. Very impressed with his performance though.

Thought M Keane done well, definately 1 or 2 snack boxes over the limit
but he done well (imho)

Bent missed a hat-full of chances and that number 11 ... talk about a
1 trick pony!

Pats defence were caught badly for the goal.

The look on some of the Spurs fans faces were priceless when the Shed
started up "Your just a small team from London" and "Sh!t Club Sh!t Fans" :D

Is Maurice O'Driscoll involved with Pats now? Nearly sure I saw him in a
Pats tracksuit in the stand.

Ash
13/07/2007, 1:29 PM
I did not hear or see one advertisement for St pat EL
games or tickets. There were announcements for ticket sales for the european
game but no visible signage towards the point of ticket sales.

They announced the Longford match a few times to say it was switched to
Sunday on account of the Thursday game!

There was also a table set up behind the stand where they were selling the
tickets for the European game. It was near the chipper and had a sign on it.
They announced that tickets were on sale from behind the stand!

Dodge
13/07/2007, 1:53 PM
O'Driscoll is our u-21 assistant manager. Ouc coaches would make a helluva 5/7-a-side team; Robbie Horgan in Goals, Johnny Mac and Blocker at the back, Liam O'Brien and Oso in the middle and Mick Byrne up front. Wouldn't even need that 7th man

Reder, the Longford game was announced plenty. Vast majoruty didn't want to know. Speaking to aguy who went in wrok he was more than impressed with both Pats and Richmond. Sort of guy who'd go to a game if the weather was nice. Stories on our forum about a spurs fan who went with his son who bought tickets for Sunday as he couldn't believe the high standard we played

kdjaC
13/07/2007, 3:38 PM
Stories on our forum about a spurs fan who went with his son who bought tickets for Sunday as he couldn't believe the high standard we played

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=53585010#post53585010

Not him for sure :D

kdjac

WexDec
13/07/2007, 6:34 PM
Thanks for the bus/luas info. My mate picked me up in the end so was handy enough....once we eventually found the Hilton and avoided crashing into a lady driving out of the car park "entry" point !!! Never seen the likes of it before and she scuffed the side of the car backing back down then :eek:

The game wasn't great but I didn't expect it to be although a few goals would've been nice. I've never seen St. Pat's play before but have to admit they looked defensively solid although most of Spurs shots were straight at the keeper who did well particularly with the last minute point blank save. The new boy Gareth Bale seemed to be given some problems by ye, wasn't impressed with him at all.

In relation to some derogatory comments I've seen posted I thought the ground was nice and compact myself with the crowd on top of the pitch as it should be (and the quality of pitch was obviously good). I presume there's no need for massive capacity sure. Its well hidden away and have to admit we enjoyed having so many pubs around it and the cockneys were good craic. Think we went to every pub in the area, some twice and reckon the Black Lion must've got out the slops for the visitors. Its nice to have a ground in the middle of what felt like a village (which I mean in a good way, Wexford Youths myself so in terms of location and stands we'd be well jealous of ye !). We got freebies in the end and were in the flat standing area opposite the shed end. Obviously not best view in the world but didn't let too many people in there maybe those tickets were released late ? 25 euro face value but I know tickets were going outside the ground for 60 euro believe it or not.

That chipper van grub was pretty fcuking manky but again to be expected. Had a good night out anyway in a part of the city I wasn't familiar with and shockingly it was a lovely evening weather wise. BTW The Hilton is indeed very plush and decent value as these things go for 120 euro. Also gave me my banging headache today since I was drinking there till 3.

Good luck with your euro matches lads I'm actually tempted to pop along again.....but to a stand seat ;)

kdjaC
13/07/2007, 6:58 PM
post stolen and quoted to the above gimp :D

kdjac

Dodge
13/07/2007, 7:34 PM
We got freebies in the end and were in the flat standing area opposite the shed end. Obviously not best view in the world but didn't let too many people in there maybe those tickets were released late ? ... Good luck with your euro matches lads I'm actually tempted to pop along again.....but to a stand seat ;)

The area you were standing in is designated for our new temporary stand which will be ready for the UEFA Cup games. Those tickets were indeed released late (about one week after the other had sold out)

Glad you enjoyed your evening

therecklessone
14/07/2007, 11:29 AM
Posted elsewhere by a Spurs fan who travelled over:

http://pieandmushypeas.blogspot.com/2007/07/st-patricks-athletic-fc.html

Enjoy.

Saint MacDara
15/07/2007, 12:41 AM
Some highlights from a Spurs perspective

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nwgP6bmvESY

reder
18/07/2007, 1:25 PM
Anybody see the letters in the Metro paper over the past few days about the "supporters" behind the goals who were singing the usual anti-british songs?

WexDec
18/07/2007, 8:16 PM
Presume you must mean the shed end as was more cockney behind the other goal plus Irish Spurs support and heard none of that. I don't know what you mean by usual anti-british songs footie wise (glady haven't come across much of that outside of pubs to be honest) but I hope they don't mean the yid ones as....well there's a bit of a history to it but suffice to say its hilarious that the Hammers were brought up on rascist chanting charges for something that is sung by the home support in White Hart Lane.

Dodge
18/07/2007, 9:00 PM
There was a bit of "You can shove your british football up your arse" type chants

Read the letter and it was ridiculously OTT

therecklessone
19/07/2007, 11:59 AM
Presume you must mean the shed end as was more cockney behind the other goal plus Irish Spurs support and heard none of that. I don't know what you mean by usual anti-british songs footie wise (glady haven't come across much of that outside of pubs to be honest) but I hope they don't mean the yid ones as....well there's a bit of a history to it but suffice to say its hilarious that the Hammers were brought up on rascist chanting charges for something that is sung by the home support in White Hart Lane.

Cockney = East London.

I know more than a few Londoners who'd take grave exception to being called Cockney.

As for the Bingo Club/Spurs Yid chants, having seen the video before it was removed from youtube, I can confirm that Spurs fans most definitely do not sing "I'd rather be a Paki than a Jew"

Docboy
19/07/2007, 12:45 PM
Spurs fans adopted the moniker of "The Yids" partly in response to the abuse that used to get thrown at a section of their support. But you could compare that with the hissing noises made by fans of west Ham & Chelsea to mimic the sounds of the gas chambers.

Standard gutter thug element fare that has no place in the game.

WexDec
23/07/2007, 12:20 PM
Didn't know anything about the hissing noises or the chant on You Tube as didn't hear any of it at the game. Was that what was quoted in the Metro ?

All I know from drinking with Spurs fans themselves (I'm not one) is that the term yid is used casually/flippantly and they do sing come on you yids but of course the incidents quoted are obviously scumbag element. I was just wondering was that (their own chant) all that was being referred to, obviously not.

On the Cockneys bit I'm sure a lot of Chelsea supporters don't like being called chavs either, its a term broadly used for some London clubs by non-London supporters, if p1sses them off them then its probably all the more popular for it, and afaik its not strictly limited to East London anyway, the Bow Bells and all that but postcode snobbery is something I care nought about.

Dodge
23/07/2007, 12:42 PM
I can say with 100% certainty that not one single sound was made by pats fans regarding Spurs fans religions or beliefs. The only stuff that got chanted was anti English football and a small bit of general anti English stuff. If people get upseet over the likes of "I'd rather have the euro than the queen" they might want to have a long hard look at themselves