PDA

View Full Version : Todays Independent

red bellied
27/06/2007, 3:49 PM
Club promotions manager Noel Mooney is keen to ensure that the league clubs continue to develop stronger links with their community to help foster that growth. One of the clubs to complain about the impact of the summer season on their attendance figures is Sligo Rovers.

Mooney will spend a week in the town promoting their July 27 clash with Shamrock Rovers to prove the club can tap into the Sligo public.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-elite-meet-fai-for-midterm-think-tank-798099.html

sligoman
27/06/2007, 10:44 PM
Mooney will spend a week in the town promoting their July 27 clash with Shamrock Rovers to prove the club can tap into the Sligo public.

http://www.independent.ie/sport/soccer/league-elite-meet-fai-for-midterm-think-tank-798099.htmlGreat idea. Will be interesting to see if we hear much more about this game around the town than usual. Although playing shams would prob always bring a bigger crowd anyway.

DRDoc
27/06/2007, 10:54 PM
might this have anything to do with that foxy red haired lady that was helping him with the surveys that day agaisnt cork?

Is she the promotion officer?

sligoman
27/06/2007, 11:04 PM
might this have anything to do with that foxy red haired lady that was helping him with the surveys that day agaisnt cork?

Is she the promotion officer?Yes, Sinead Fraher is her name. Although I think she answers to the name 'foxy' too:D.

DRDoc
27/06/2007, 11:08 PM
:)

ha - yeah have to say i thought she looked very well

DRDoc
28/06/2007, 11:01 AM
Hi Rogue Trader - sorry I meant to reply to your message

Yeah a good day out - Ive went up to both the Cork and the Bohs games now and will be there this saturday also

Ive also seen ye recently against Shamrock Rovers in the cup and last Friday at Belfield vs UCD.

Playing some great football. Front two Judge and Fara Kud can be a real handful - both are comfortable on the ball and both are able to come short to pick it up

Against Cork I thought you really got them on a bad day and made the most of it - but deserved the win 100% and played some lovely ball

Bohs game was one of the most entertaining games Ive seen this year and a good crowd also. Again you played some great football. I thought in the last 30 minutes Bohs really were on top pushing for a winner and had enough chances to get it but it just wasnt their day. Then in the last five mins Sligo before the penalty Sligo came to life!

Versus Sham Rovers you put in another good performance - maybe a goal was offside, maybe not - but then Sham Rovers goal could have been off also. Dont want to start a row with anyone but I thought their was a slight push in the back on the Sham Rovers defender for the third goal. And in fairness the ref ignored the collision/didnt see Murphy injured, till he was ready to start the game again - so I can see what Scully and the Rovers fans are complaining about with that. In general I thought the ref made a lot of wrong decisions that day

Against UCD . .. . once again savage football at times and kept the ball well - put a lot of pressure on the UCD man in possession and forced them long and direct for the whole game - something that really doesnt suit them. Lucky not to concede one or two in the first half and I didnt think the goal that was disallowed was actually offside. Defended well though and made the most of the **** up which got the second goal - very good finishing again

Left back that has featured lately - Kelly i think he is, big enough guy - I was very impressed with.

Havent seen that much from Coleman like some of the guys go on about him but he def is a good solid player

Cash looks good also - Manson im not so sure

I saw the game vs Longford at the beginning of the season also and thought OGrady was v v good - but not so much so lately

Looking forward to the game vs Longford on saturday - saw them lose to Cork earlier in the week and they were unlucky - in fact Ive seen them a good few times this season and they have been unlucky quite often. They are all fighters most of time. Rutherford has been outstanding all season - whether at left back, or centre defense, or left wing or centre midfield. Mooney is a threat up front also - very good at getting out of defenders line of sight and sneaking behind in

Midgit
28/06/2007, 11:12 AM
Against UCD....... I didnt think the goal that was disallowed was actually offside.

Where in the ground were you to make such a claim. There is no soubt in anybodys mind that that was offside! There wasn't even any claims from players and the UCD fans. Rovers fans were positioned very good for that offside and we all knew at the time it was offside.
I think you need to go to specsavers!!!:D:rolleyes::D

DRDoc
28/06/2007, 11:25 AM
Ok I will take your word for it Midget:ball:

showgies
28/06/2007, 12:33 PM
Where in the ground were you to make such a claim. There is no soubt in anybodys mind that that was offside! There wasn't even any claims from players and the UCD fans. Rovers fans were positioned very good for that offside and we all knew at the time it was offside.
I think you need to go to specsavers!!!:D:rolleyes::D

What's the point in having a go at him? This was a well balanced impartial look at our beloved Bit O'Red, whether or not we agree with all the comments.

Interesting reading, thanks Doc. You fairly clock up the old miles.

Only1Rovers
28/06/2007, 1:22 PM
This was a well balanced impartial look at our beloved Bit O'Red, whether or not we agree with all the comments.

From DRDOC's retrospect it would be fair to say that we have been relying on luck when things have gone well for us. Cork, Bohs, UCD (how they didn't score). Or are the Rovers making their own luck????:ball:

sligoman
28/06/2007, 3:23 PM
Mooney is a threat up front also - very good at getting out of defenders line of sight and sneaking behind inThat part is simply not true. Mooney was good last season but I think even Longford fans would agree he's been **** this season. Constantly caught offside on Tuesday night and wasted all the chances his team-mates created.

Poor Student
28/06/2007, 5:11 PM

Is she the promotion officer?

Are Sligo cashing in on Áine's fame?:eek:

NY Hoop
28/06/2007, 5:42 PM
According to both websites the game is down for Saturday the 28th. Presume and hope the 27th is a typo by the indo.

Mooney is bang on and will talk to anybody anytime. Although as someone here says this game doesnt really need a lot of promotion.

Fair play DrDoc for talking sense about the Cup game.

KOH

Rory H
29/06/2007, 10:15 AM
Anyway.........

I hate to bring up the GAA but today i walked down the street and black and white bunting is across every street! there are those mini car flags on so many vehicles and countless pubs have GAA flags hanging outside. Its the talk of the town and thousands will descend to Roscommon next sunday[why do i even know its on sunday!]

Theres such potential in this town for Rovers that isnt capitalized upon.....The GAA do.....

sligoman
29/06/2007, 10:18 AM
Anyway.........

I hate to bring up the GAA but today i walked down the street and black and white bunting is across every street! there are those mini car flags on so many vehicles and countless pubs have GAA flags hanging outside. Its the talk of the town and thousands will descend to Roscommon next sunday[why do i even know its on sunday!]

Theres such potential in this town for Rovers that isnt capitalized upon.....The GAA do.....Felt sick seeing all that ****e being put up yesterday. They win 1 game and everybody puts up flags/banners and wearing jersies all over Sligo. I am probably just jealous of what Rovers are missing out on though...still, quicker Galway knock Sligo out the better for us all:).

Rory H
29/06/2007, 10:27 AM
I think its something we could change ourselves..once they lose the furore might end...if we got permission to put up things like that for the shams game[give mr mooney a bit of a hand!] id be happy to

gustavo
29/06/2007, 10:37 AM
Felt sick seeing all that ****e being put up yesterday. They win 1 game and everybody puts up flags/banners and wearing jersies all over Sligo. I am probably just jealous of what Rovers are missing out on though...still, quicker Galway knock Sligo out the better for us all:).

Its probably cos we are in a Connacht final , its a big thing and i hope we win , still it would be nice if some of the same hype was surrounding Rovers.

Rory H
29/06/2007, 10:40 AM
so what.....they won 2 games and without getting into a GAA debate its hardly a great achievement. We beat Bohs and Shams deservedly in the space of a week and that should draw as much attention.

If we get a good draw at home in the cup then there should be the same buzz around town . i dont know who is behind the GAA promotion but its up to us to promote the next big game we have i think.

red bellied
29/06/2007, 10:40 AM
Tells how rubbish Sligo Gaa is, win one match and the place goes nuts. They would be better off if they kept it low key. The pressure is on now.

Fivesilver
29/06/2007, 10:50 AM
There's no point in being annoyed about the GAA team.
Soccer is my favourite sport, followed by probably hurling, rugby and baseball before Gaelic football comes into it, but I hope they beat Galway. I'll always support any sports team representing Sligo.

What people have to remember about the hype surrounding the GF team is that it's the nature of the Championship - every game is a cup tie (with the added bonus of a mini-cup final - the provincial final - if you win one or two games.

Could this excitement be maintained if Sligo were playing 30-odd matches a season? Not a hope. Even the National League, which has far less games than the EL, struggles to have any kind of relevance.

Good luck Sligo - and if a few first-timers find that they like the live sports experience, they have a venue just down the road from Markievicz Park where they can get that every couple of weeks. ;)

gustavo
29/06/2007, 10:51 AM
Tells how rubbish Sligo Gaa is, win one match and the place goes nuts. They would be better off if they kept it low key. The pressure is on now.

Agreed they should have kept it low key but its a final they are in now thats why the excitement rather than the fact they won one match

neutrino
29/06/2007, 12:37 PM
The GAA dont capitalise on anything Rory, It's much easier to support the county team. At most they play 4 championship games a year. It's easy to support a team just four times a year. Thousands of people going to the final would not have even been at the Roscommon game. Fivesilver is right about it not being possible to maintain any sort of hype throughout the EL season (unless you in the top 3/4 every week). Supporting GAA is just different, so I wouldnt get my nose out of joint over it. Everyone should hope they win and Good luck to them !!

sligoman
21/07/2007, 5:59 PM
I emailed Noel Mooney to see what his plans for this was and this is some of what he said:
Following a consultation with Sligo Rovers Football Club, it has been decided to focus our promotion on the Sligo Rovers v Bray Wanderers match on Saturday, August 11th.

As you may be aware, the Shamrock Rovers fixture has been moved to the Friday night and it was felt by the club that the Bray match would be a better challenge for us.

I look forward to giving it serious holly up there and I will liaise with you throughout.Very quick reply, fair play to him!

I think that's the first time I've ever got a reply from the F.A.I.:eek:

Red&White Rover
21/07/2007, 6:17 PM
I emailed Noel Mooney to see what his plans for this was and this is some of what he said: Very quick reply, fair play to him!

I think that's the first time I've ever got a reply from the F.A.I.:eek:

He was at the game last night.

Guts&Glory
21/07/2007, 6:23 PM
You have to give him credit he seems to be putting his heart into the whole thing.

He seems a nice bloke also, I know its his job but credit to anyone who shows such commitment and doing the travelling the gig entails.

Red4Eva
21/07/2007, 6:47 PM
he said there's gonna be 10,000 flyers printed to advertise the game and there's gonna be a plane doin a fly-over sligo with a banner advertising the game :eek:

sligoman
21/07/2007, 6:58 PM
i spoke to him once and he seemed to knowKnow what? That you were speaking to him?:confused: :p.

sligoman
21/07/2007, 7:05 PM
Clearly edited out SM :p:DOnly thing edited was your own post "Last edited by Rogue Trader : 21/07/2007 at 8:00 PM."

The proof is in the post;)