PDA

View Full Version : Full Time Football .... has it Improved Us?

galwayhoop
27/06/2007, 11:34 AM
well, what do ye think lads??

personally i would have liked to see a greater improvement than what we have got. i'm not sure it has benefited us greatly and i feel that our squad is not as strong as a result of being full-time. perhaps if we remained part-time we may have been able to attract more players with premier league experience. has anyone else got an opinion on it??

Claret Murph
27/06/2007, 11:50 AM
well, what do ye think lads??

personally i would have liked to see a greater improvement than what we have got. i'm not sure it has benefited us greatly and i feel that our squad is not as strong as a result of being full-time. perhaps if we remained part-time we may have been able to attract more players with premier league experience. has anyone else got an opinion on it??

Things have not taken off for us this year as a lot of people would have liked but TC did say at the start of the season that the first season in the permier would be the hardest as it was when he was with Drogs . But you have a point hoops as I expected everyone to be super fit and I don't think this the case in some .........

corbyeire
27/06/2007, 12:44 PM
id even say some players arent metally fit - even disinterested!

GuisaSaigon
27/06/2007, 1:12 PM
I think it will take a while for everyone the benefits of Full time football. There is no magic wand that is going to instantly improve a players ability. I can understand that fans are frustrated with our home form, but some people seem intent on focusing on the negatives.
We may not be taking the premier division by storm but after 5 seasons in 1st division limbo, I genuinely feel we are moving in the right direction. TC is in the process of building a squad, sure some improvements need to be made, but a bit of patience would go a long way.We have at least three very promising signings coming on board in a few days.
We have matched and even bettered some of the top teams in the league in the past few months, and were it not for some bad luck and a little naivety we could be well up the table. It's not all doom and gloom lads, try to look at the glass as half full sometimes.

MyTown
27/06/2007, 1:23 PM
Well said Saigon.

Terry closed a thread yesterday where a few recent arrivals have been claiming to speak for the Silent Majority where the players and now the manager are deemed to be fair game supposedly in the interests of free speech.

Well good luck to them and their viewpoints.

When they have contributed 10% of what Pa Dunne, gufct, yourself and a chosen few others have to the cause of keeping EL soccer in Galway I'll treat their posts with the respect they deserve.

For now, my view (is it okay if I have a view too?) is that their "contributions" are coming from the talk-is-cheap school of football philosophy.

galwayhoop
27/06/2007, 1:37 PM
thats fair enough guisasaigon and mytown but forgive me if i feel that we should be seeing the results of full time soccer at this stage. i mean our squad have been in full time training since february and i am yet to see major improvements.

i feel that after almost 5 months of full time football the question isn't premature at all. in fact should we not be asking the question if going back to part time status is at least an option. lets face it with the monies available we can only attract relative novices to this level of football whereas by playing part time more experienced players may be attracted as they would be able to keep the day job.

i'm only asking the question, i am not saying that it would be right or wrong but as we have gone full-time i would expect to see better displays from a technical standpoint i.e. ball retention, set-piece play (att & def) and improved stamina/fitness levels!

oh and by the way i don't expect us to be challenging for the title or anything and anything approaching mid-table is good for me. anything above the bottom 2 this season (and above bottom 3 next) tbh. although i would have liked a good cup run.

Conor H
27/06/2007, 1:38 PM
It took Drogheda almost 4 years before they reeped the benefits of full time football.Why should we be different?
Having said that people are entitled to feel a bit peeved with some of the performances.Also the fitness hasn't proven to be greater than any of the part time outfits to date.
Our time will come but for now it's just a matter of been patient and content.

MyTown-Not sure what your getting at in your post.Gufct and PD have undoubtedly done alot for GUFC over the years but everyone's opinion and viewpoints is just as valid as the next person.
To many people on this board like to give the idea that they're impartial and wouldn't dare go against one person's views for the fear they may cause a bit of upset.MB's are often at their best when a good stimulated debate/arguement is in full flow.Unfortunately,and i include myslef in this,some people then make snide remarks and turn it into a petty slagging match.
In summary don't be condescending.Whether you help out UTD or not is each persons own prerogative and it's slightly pedantic and rich of you to decide whose opinions you'll take into account and whose you won't.

MyTown
27/06/2007, 1:45 PM
galwayhoop: Reasonable points well made IMO. Time will tell.

Conor: With respect, I wouldn't have the monopoly on condescension or pedantry on this Board. I have defended the right of every member to post ESPECIALLY when I disagree with their view.

gufct
27/06/2007, 1:47 PM
We have been in the first Division for the majority of rhe last 10 years and a Full Time set up was never going to an overnight success. The local Talent base is not strong enough to provide a backbone for the squad and anyone that thinks the likes of Seamie Crowe and Jonny Mernagh are up to Premier League Soccer obviously doesnt know the players histories in the el.

Tony has tried to strenghten the team by bringing in young players who he thinks will be able to bond into a strong squad and team and he has rejected the chance to sign some players because of their attidude and temperament which he feels will only disrupt the rest of the squad.He was very unlucky that injury robbed him of Alan Keane and Chris Armstrong almost from the start of the campaign and he has had to work of a threadbare squad since.He has made some excellent signings and the 3 new ones can only add to the strength of the team.

No one in the club were expecting us to be challenging for honours this season despite some Posters assertions on here that it was Tony who played down our hopes and I feel that we could end up in the top half of the table.

I have got hammered on here by some people who also seem to forget that Gufc belongs to the city it doesnt it belongs to the whole county and to anyone who supports them no matter where there from.

Conor H
27/06/2007, 1:49 PM
galwayhoop: Reasonable points well made IMO. Time will tell.

Conor: With respect, I wouldn't have the monopoly on condescension or pedantry on this Board. I have defended the right of every member to post ESPECIALLY when I disagree with their view.

Didn't say you did have the Monopoly on those traits.It's not a matter of agreeing/disagreeing-it's your suggestion that you'd give treat some members posts with a pinch of salt because they haven't put in alot of time and effort to UTD.I think that's unfair on many who chose,or are unable,to help out with GUST,GUFC etc.Maybe i took you up wrong-apologies if so.

Conor H
27/06/2007, 1:52 PM

I have got hammered on here by some people who also seem to forget that Gufc belongs to the city it doesnt it belongs to the whole county and to anyone who supports them no matter where there from.
:confused:
Not sure what you're attempting to say here but i think i can get the jist of it.
Who/When did anyone say that UTD belonged to the City?By the way you don't get hammered on this forum either gufct.Stop feeling sorry for yourself.You give as good as you get-and more.

MyTown
27/06/2007, 1:57 PM
it's your suggestion that you'd give treat some members posts with a pinch of salt because they haven't put in alot of time and effort to UTD.I think that's unfair on many who chose,or are unable,to help out with GUST,GUFC etc.Maybe i took you up wrong-apologies if so.

Thanks. Most people have busy lives & help when they can where they can. Any kind of support is welcome.

My problem with the negative posting from some quarters is that it rubbishes the opinions of some who have literally slaved over the years to provide senior soccer in Galway, and for me, to rubbish their opinions, is to disregard the hard work they've put in. That's all & I hope I've clarified it.

GuisaSaigon
27/06/2007, 2:04 PM
GawayHoop, I'm not against debating the merits of a full time set up, but I wanted to add a voice of reason to this thread before, it descends into pages full of negative drivel and calls for TC's head like previous similar threads.
We spent 5 years in the first division without winning promotion with a part time squad, made up of the cream of local experienced talent.
As I see it there are not that many experienced part time players around that would force their way into our current squad. Most of the top teams in this country are full time and I believe that to even consider returning to a part time set up would be a step backwards for the club.
We have are ambitious club with (soon to be) one of the most impressive stadiums in the league, an ambitious manager, a young professional squad that will only improve. I've seen a lot of managers, players, and supporters come and go over the years and I have rarely been more optimistic about the future than I am now.

GuisaSaigon
27/06/2007, 2:11 PM
My problem with the negative posting from some quarters is that it rubbishes the opinions of some who have literally slaved over the years to provide senior soccer in Galway, and for me, to rubbish their opinions, is to disregard the hard work they've put in. That's all & I hope I've clarified it.
I'm with you there, MyTown. all too often lately, debates on this forum have been spoiled by some posters blatant flaming. Don't want to take this thread off anymore off topic, but lets try respect one another's opinions.

gufct
27/06/2007, 2:21 PM
Exactly as i feel Saigon rather than closing threads maybe a few warnings to people (even myself if it warrants it) is better than letting the right of reply dissappear altogether.

Conor sorry my post wandered a bit but there are some posters (1 or 2) who keep referring to the city thing and it drives me mental. We have supporters all over the place and not all Galway County or city natives.

gilberto_eire
27/06/2007, 2:40 PM
Well said Saigon.

Terry closed a thread yesterday where a few recent arrivals have been claiming to speak for the Silent Majority where the players and now the manager are deemed to be fair game supposedly in the interests of free speech.

Well good luck to them and their viewpoints.

When they have contributed 10% of what Pa Dunne, gufct, yourself and a chosen few others have to the cause of keeping EL soccer in Galway I'll treat their posts with the respect they deserve.

For now, my view (is it okay if I have a view too?) is that their "contributions" are coming from the talk-is-cheap school of football philosophy.

WOW so we cant view our opinions because we didnt contribute as much to do the club...hard been that im only 21 to do that, but me and one of the lads are trying to organise a fundraiser for GUST at the moment, which is prob more then you ever done at that stage in your life!.

i also have only missed the Harps away game this yr, what about you?, coming to drogs??....
dont be saying my opinions arent worth as much as GUFCT and Pa cause IMO GUFCT's opinions are the most dissillusional around and work through the club doesnt mean you gain a better perspective of football...you either have it or you dont... how many of ye even play/played?

you dont deserve respect IMO after what you just said and i sure as hell wont give it to ya!.

did ya not notice Pa Dunne never comes on here acting the ''super fan'' all the time and having a personal dig at anyone(but mainly me)like someone else for speaking out against the divine TC!!

grow up will ya and cop on with your..... ''When they have contributed 10% of what Pa Dunne, gufct, yourself and a chosen few others have to the cause of keeping EL soccer in Galway I'll treat their posts with the respect they deserve''....very immature!!.

corbyeire
27/06/2007, 2:41 PM
the topic is full time football has it improved us?

how do we gauge this? - so is it too early to be asking the question

as it is asked now - i cant say currently that it has improved us

maybe over the rest of the season it will show that it has

i expected with the full time set up - that the intensity that sometimes makes up for lack of skill would be there most if not all games for 90mins

its true the opposition is far greater - but we got new players to deal with that

i think that over the last 5-6 games our decent into hoof ball - has me wondering what has happened - you dont start playing like that because the opposition is so much better than you

look at the pats game - united wanted to break and play ball and be creative

as regards the other stuff in here - pm, put it in another thread - its all becoming so repetitive

Tir Oilean
27/06/2007, 2:43 PM
but I wanted to add a voice of reason to this thread before, it descends into pages full of negative drivel and calls for TC's head like previous similar threads.

I was wondering how long that would take didnt have to wait too long too long obviously:rolleyes:

Conor H
27/06/2007, 2:46 PM
WOW so we cant view our opinions because we didnt contribute as much to do the club...hard been that im only 21 to do that, but me and one of the lads are trying to organise a fundraiser for GUST at the moment, which is prob more then you ever done at that stage in your life!.

i also have only missed the Harps away game this yr, what about you?, coming to drogs??....
dont be saying my opinions arent worth as much as GUFCT and Pa cause IMO GUFCT's opinions are the most dissillusional around and work through the club doesnt mean you gain a better perspective of football...you either have it or you dont... how many of ye even play/played?

you dont deserve respect IMO after what you just said and i sure as hell wont give it to ya!.

did ya not notice Pa Dunne never comes on here acting the ''super fan'' all the time and having a personal dig at anyone(but mainly me)like someone else for speaking out against the divine TC!!

grow up will ya and cop on with your..... ''When they have contributed 10% of what Pa Dunne, gufct, yourself and a chosen few others have to the cause of keeping EL soccer in Galway I'll treat their posts with the respect they deserve''....very immature!!.

Lads let's not turn it into an all out war!
Nothing worse than when people question other people's loyalties to the Club.There's an abundance of reasons why people can't go/chose not to go to away games.It doesn't mean they're less of a fan.
You often get clowns at away matches that are no more UTD fans than the man on the moon.Then again you it's balanced out with the Elite on the GUST Buses!;)

gilberto_eire
27/06/2007, 2:53 PM
Nothing worse than when people question other people's loyalties to the Club.There's an abundance of reasons why people can't go/chose not to go to away games.It doesn't mean they're less of a fan.
You often get clowns at away matches that are no more UTD fans than the man on the moon.Then again you it's balanced out with the Elite on the GUST Buses!;)

im not trying to start a fight conor but he had some neck to say that about me and baile ban the ''new arrivals'' when he's only been on here a few mths longer then me!.
i never attack GUFCT like he's trying to say... go to every single thread and GUFCY will make a personal referance to me and THEN ill reply to that!.
grow up mypost will ya!!. why dont ya set everyone bar them too then to ignore if thats the way you feel!.

i personally dont see any positives frm the full-time anyway...frm what i hear of the Harps game they looked fitter in extra time which is sad considering they were at work all day while are lads are relaxing somewhere in a hotel prior to the game!!.

your saying johnny mernagh wouldnt be a better option then barry moran??....

:confused:...all he would have had to do this yr while starting 14+ games is score ONE goal.... i would have got that myself and im not much of a striker!!

gilberto_eire
27/06/2007, 2:55 PM

i didnt mean it in the ''im a better fan'' way i meant it in the way that ive seen virtually every ball kicked, so i think im as good as any to give my opinions of what ive seen so far!!.

gufct
27/06/2007, 3:13 PM
Johnny got three chances with Galway United ( I was involved in getting him in) and he let himself down badly and he went to limerick and repeated the same routine there. He has a huge talent is a nice lad but absolututely no committment and application.

There has been a truckload of players who have the same problem in the junior soccer leagues in Galway and if your looking for the opposite just look at Derek Glynn a guy whoi came in worked hard kept his lip buutoned and is reaping the rewards now.

geezer
29/06/2007, 5:07 PM
I think people forget how many season we have actually struggled in 1st divisions and re elections and bottom end of tables. Some guys come on here and talk about the good old days and legends ffs 85-86 we made a good run of it with a brilliant team , 94 in glenina was good but the rest to be fair has been fairly rubbish yet expectations are daft. It must be somethimg to do with people either having rose tinted glasses or the real reason, they werent there for most of the bad times and came back for the odd good cup run or unbeaten run and disappeard again. Now there back again claiming they never missed a game and rhyming off the legends. Now dont get me wrong they are very welcome but jesus they dont half spout some ****e about legends and glory days. We have never won a league and that IMO is the only competition that matters. There was many seasons we didnt even have any season tickets you couldnt buy them because the club wouldnt pay the printer for them. The season ticket was resurrected again by supporters hand making, laminating and cutting them at home with a scissors. The fact that we are professional for all of 3 months does not mean we should be within an asses roar of mid table and I for one will gladly settle for 3rd bottom and slowly draw on my bags of patience gathered by watching united over the years to steadily, 1 place at a time by season if we have to, reach the summit and pray within the next 5-7 years we reach the holy grail, the title. Then we finally can talk of legends. Then when i depart this life i can get someone to sneak over the wall in Terryland and put my ashes around a stadium where real legends won leagues and played competitively in europe content that my 50 years or so wasnt all in vain

cmon united