PDA

View Full Version : Sending out the wrong message.

PinBallWizard
27/06/2007, 10:55 AM
Firstly, this is not prudish. I see the funny side of it, and understand the logic behind it, but does anybody else think it's wrong?

I just got an email of the poster for the Shelbourne match. Titled: "Be a part of the action" the main picture shows Limerick 37 players involved in a free for all with the opposition.

A jokes a joke, but this is a stupid message to be sending out, a). because it seems to promote and advocate fighting on the football pitch, b). because it is urging the crowd to become a part of it, and c). the city's reputation is bad enough.

Why not a picture of the supporters having a sing along or a lot of fun in the stand, or something like that?

I just think it sends out the wrong message. :ball:

joeSoap
27/06/2007, 11:07 AM
Well, I'd say f**k anyone who doesn't see the light-hearted side of it. It is what it's meant to be- a tongue in cheek way of promoting the game.

Better than a boring conventional poster anyway.

bellavistaman
27/06/2007, 11:09 AM
better than our posters anyway, i think its a good idea, one its all lighthearted not done the way the GAA advertise that Aussie match.

L37Ultra
27/06/2007, 11:31 AM
Firstly, this is not prudish. I see the funny side of it, and understand the logic behind it, but does anybody else think it's wrong?

I just got an email of the poster for the Shelbourne match. Titled: "Be a part of the action" the main picture shows Limerick 37 players involved in a free for all with the opposition.

A jokes a joke, but this is a stupid message to be sending out, a). because it seems to promote and advocate fighting on the football pitch, b). because it is urging the crowd to become a part of it, and c). the city's reputation is bad enough.

Why not a picture of the supporters having a sing along or a lot of fun in the stand, or something like that?

That was my first reaction when I first seen the E-mail but after printing it out there its actually funny and it will probably grab people's attention if they see it in work,shop etc..Well its just a great idea and I hope to see them posters around Limerick in the coming days!! :)

Old keeper
27/06/2007, 11:32 AM

Hi Pin Ball

I take your point on board but the idea was to highlight the passion involved this was a hustle in the centre circle not a fight but your point is well made and taken on board for the future.

Old keeper
27/06/2007, 11:33 AM

We will issue a second poster for anyone who would have the same legitimate feelings as Pinball

Monkfish
27/06/2007, 11:38 AM
We will issue a second poster for anyone who would have the same legitimate feelings as Pinball

Ya maybe you could put a few lambs playing in a field, flowers and big teddy bears on the poster, that might suit them!

Tir Oilean
27/06/2007, 11:38 AM
Have the FAI seen the poster and said it is ok? Id be surprised if they have. At the mo it would be more suited to a GAA match!!!:)

bellavistaman
27/06/2007, 11:40 AM
Anybody able to post a link

jebus
27/06/2007, 11:42 AM
Have the FAI seen the poster and said it is ok? Id be surprised if they have

Ah they've done stranger things in the past, promoting last year's third place team ahead of the second placed team for instance :p

L37Ultra
27/06/2007, 11:44 AM
Ah they've done stranger things in the past, promoting last year's third place team ahead of the second placed team for instance :p

Well the FAI fined silgo rovers 1000 Euro last week for chanting outside the dressing rooms and half time so u never know!!

Old keeper
27/06/2007, 12:03 PM
Hi Lads

Please download and spread this poster, It is the alternative to the first

Thanks

manalishi
27/06/2007, 12:14 PM
Ya maybe you could put a few lambs playing in a field, flowers and big teddy bears on the poster, that might suit them!

Add a few doves,a unicorn,change the team gear to pink and gently hum "Munster,munster" in 5part harmony throughout the game and you have my vote!!

joeSoap
Good, quick comeback with the second poster....The first one was better though...

L37Ultra
Hi Lads

Please download and spread this poster, It is the alternative to the first

Thanks

Fair play oldkeeper!! Keep up the good work :)

dahamsta
27/06/2007, 1:14 PM
The poster is here (http://foot.ie/shels_poster.doc). Personally I think that the person that came up with it is a muppet, and people that find it funny belong in the same club. I'm not even happy posting it, but at least it'll put an end to any confusion.

If that's the kind of football L37 fans want...

adam

joeSoap
27/06/2007, 1:32 PM
The poster is here (http://foot.ie/shels_poster.doc). Personally I think that the person that came up with it is a muppet, and people that find it funny belong in the same club. I'm not even happy posting it, but at least it'll put an end to any confusion.

adam Each to their own I guess. I can see both sides of it, as I'm sure any sensible person would. It was designed in a tongue in cheek way, and no offense was meant by it.

Why do some people have to be so sensitive?

dahamsta
27/06/2007, 3:01 PM
I'd hardly call it 'sensitive'. It's promoting soccer hooliganism, both on and off the pitch. The muppet that designed it mightn't have had the brains to see it, but that's what it says.

I'm sure the hooligans'll find it hilarious though, and sure you want plenty of them at your matches, right?

adam

L37Ultra
27/06/2007, 3:24 PM
I'd hardly call it 'sensitive'. It's promoting soccer hooliganism, both on and off the pitch. The muppet that designed it mightn't have had the brains to see it, but that's what it says.

I'm sure the hooligans'll find it hilarious though, and sure you want plenty of them at your matches, right?

adam

Are u serious, go back to eating ur prawn sandwhiches in Thomand Park, its only a bit of fun!! U should be saying fair play to whoever made this for trying to promote the club not calling them a muppett:confused: How is a little push around in the middle of the pitch promoting hooiganisms!! Get a grip!!

gaidin
27/06/2007, 3:26 PM

adam

Remeber what happened last season with Shamrock Rovers? This poster might be seen by a select few that turned up that night to cause trouble and think "Ah, a dublin team are coming to limerick, better get up there with the lads and cause trouble again".

It could happen!!

When I first saw it I thought it was a wrong choice. But I can see the tongue in cheek point of view also.

uncle fweddy
27/06/2007, 3:32 PM

adam
Will u goway Ned Flanders and preach your PC bullsh*t somewhere else.
U can't p~ss these days without some high and mighty gob****e up on his high horse preaching.
I had a look at that poster and you'd see worse on live at 3.
Your calling the guy who put a bit of work into it a muppet???
At least someone is putting a bit of work into the club and fairplay to him.
The club is a new club and mistakes will be made, the club will learn in time ,baby steps, Nobody needs to hear it from you

joeSoap
27/06/2007, 3:38 PM
Will u goway Ned Flanders and preach your PC bullsh*t somewhere else.
U can't p~ss these days without some high and mighty gob****e up on his high horse preaching.
I had a look at that poster and you'd see worse on live at 3.
Your calling the guy who put a bit of work into it a muppet???
At least someone is putting a bit of work into the club and fairplay to him.
The club is a new club and mistakes will be made, the club will learn in time ,baby steps, Nobody needs to hear it from you
Just to let you know Fweddy, cos you're new, there is an unwritten rule here that goes like:'Attack the post, not the poster'. Try and stick to it, or you will find yourself banned.

uncle fweddy
27/06/2007, 3:41 PM
[quote=joeSoap;712975]Just to let you know Fweddy, cos you're new, there is an unwritten rule here that goes like:'Attack the post, not the poster'. Try and stick to it, or you will find yourself banned.[/quote

Thats fair enough Joe
Only gettin the hang of the site

osarusan
27/06/2007, 4:48 PM
Just to let you know Fweddy, cos you're new, there is an unwritten rule here that goes like:'Attack the post, not the poster'. Try and stick to it, or you will find yourself banned.

And the guy you're writing about is the guy who controls the site!

Mr A
27/06/2007, 4:56 PM
And the guy you're writing about is the guy who controls the site!

And a massive army of killer nano robots that will get inside you and eat your entire body simultaneously from the inside out if you annoy him too much.

Which is pretty sore I'd imagine.

The poster was ill-advised and poorly timed, bit of a boo-boo but no big deal. I doubt many hooligans would look at it and go- right, let's go cause hassle at an L37 game.

Monkfish
27/06/2007, 6:28 PM
Good, quick comeback with the second poster....The first one was better though...

Ya lets keep the first one, it might keep the man-bag wearing, moisturiser loving metrosexuals 'men' away!

4tothefloor
27/06/2007, 7:54 PM

adam
Football's a mans game FFS, it's Mother Theresa opinions like that that have the game ruined :rolleyes: and prats like Ronaldo, Robben and Drogba getting away with what they do. I'd take one or two fights per game over nancy boys diving all over the place, thank you very much. May I suggest a game for you? Basketball....... :p

As far as I'm concerned anyone who thinks that a poster like that will give some fan the idea to cause a riot in the stands is a far bigger muppet than the guy who designed the poster. Because ye must think that football fans have an IQ of about 10. But what about the children? What a load of bulls**t!

The poster is fine. The overall design is a poor effort though.

dahamsta
27/06/2007, 10:55 PM
ye must think that football fans have an IQ of about 10.It's childish to stereotype so I don't and won't agree with that, but there are plenty that fit that description and they're exactly the types that will view this kind of idiotic message as an affirmation of their - frankly retarded - beliefs.

You can call it nannying or babying if you like, I stand on the sidelines in here and see growth of violence in the Irish game. At the same time I see growth in the "ultra" style groups, and this kind of garbage. It's hardly a stretch to draw conclusions from that.

adam

Monkfish
27/06/2007, 11:29 PM
It's childish to stereotype so I don't and won't agree with that, but there are plenty that fit that description and they're exactly the types that will view this kind of idiotic message as an affirmation of their - frankly retarded - beliefs.

You can call it nannying or babying if you like, I stand on the sidelines in here and see growth of violence in the Irish game. At the same time I see growth in the "ultra" style groups, and this kind of garbage. It's hardly a stretch to draw conclusions from that.

adam

Please dont mix up Ultras with casuals though, its true that with some teams in certain countrys they are both the same but most ultras just want to add colour and noise to match days.

Treaty Gooner
28/06/2007, 9:33 AM
Football's a mans game FFS, it's Mother Theresa opinions like that that have the game ruined :rolleyes: and prats like Ronaldo, Robben and Drogba getting away with what they do. I'd take one or two fights per game over nancy boys diving all over the place, thank you very much. May I suggest a game for you? Basketball....... :p

As far as I'm concerned anyone who thinks that a poster like that will give some fan the idea to cause a riot in the stands is a far bigger muppet than the guy who designed the poster. Because ye must think that football fans have an IQ of about 10. But what about the children? What a load of bulls**t!

The poster is fine. The overall design is a poor effort though.

Ya, Basketball...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_k7xsYjwDLo

Roadend
28/06/2007, 10:16 AM
Whatever about the picture on the poster, it must have been designed on a ZX specturm.....

Lim till i die
28/06/2007, 8:33 PM
In all fairness lads, I'd like to think that at the heart of the poster was a bit of gold old fashioned cynical Limerick city humour, nothing more

Besides ZERO chance of trouble at that game tommorow night. It's one thing the Breakfast Club running amok in Queenstown and Kilkenny and such but I'd like to think the little mites would have more sense than to try it in Limerick

Lionel Ritchie
28/06/2007, 8:50 PM
I'm inclined to agree that it's a dumb poster.

I can't see it conveying anything beyond 'there might be a Go on during the match'.

I also agree that the ...erm ... design style is remenicent of a more innocent time ...the 80's????

But still, good to get the FAS girls going for ECDL1 involved.;)

I'll stick up as many posters as I can. With the indulgence of the board and it's mods I think it's an excellent way for clubs to spread promotional materials. I've been on L37s site obviously but I wouldn't think to look out for downloadable flyers/posters etc...

Old keeper
28/06/2007, 9:00 PM
Hi

It's good to see such discussion on the posters, and I agree that it was not the best poster in the world but heres an idea, why not have a whack at your own and submit it to the website! best poster for the next home game will be circulated and the winner gets a jersey.

The first poster was meant as tounge in cheek but has provoked a justified response in relation to sending the wrong message, the club will take this on board.

Im gutted the spectrum was a great machine and never gave me any problems

Roadend
29/06/2007, 10:31 AM
Hi

It's good to see such discussion on the posters, and I agree that it was not the best poster in the world but heres an idea, why not have a whack at your own and submit it to the website!

Oh very well then...
Limerick37 Poster (http://img507.imageshack.us/img507/4845/l37by2.jpg)

Roadend
29/06/2007, 10:43 AM
I might have to go into hiding after that.....

clownboy
29/06/2007, 10:44 AM
Ya maybe!! It is Funny though

shelbourne1904
29/06/2007, 10:44 AM
Oh very well then...

Brilliant

joeSoap
29/06/2007, 12:28 PM
:D:D:eek:

Guy Incognito
29/06/2007, 3:07 PM
Oh very well then...

I'm F**king weak:D:D:D

MyTown
29/06/2007, 3:28 PM
I'm F**king weak:D:D:D

Me too. Hilarious

osarusan
29/06/2007, 3:54 PM
he should get a free jersey for that.

Roadend
29/06/2007, 4:03 PM
One made from kevlar preferably.

MyTown
29/06/2007, 4:09 PM
Roadend:

With talent like that you should definitely consider this if you haven't already:

http://football.guardian.co.uk/thegallery/

shelbourne1904
29/06/2007, 4:10 PM
Just in case
Kevlar is the DuPont Company's registered trademark for a particularly light but very strong synthetic fiber. Created in DuPont's labs in 1965 by Stephanie Kwolek and Herbert Blades[1], Kevlar was first used commercially in the early 1970s. It can be spun into ropes or sheets of fabric that can either be used as-is, or used in the construction of composite components. Kevlar is now used in a wide range of applications, from bicycles to body armor, due to its high strength-to-weight ratio, "...5 times stronger than steel on an equal weight basis...".[1] Under water, Kevlar has less of an effect to ballistic projectiles, although it does have water resistant properties. [2] It is a member of the Aramid family of synthetic fibres and a competitor of Twaron manufactured by Teijin.