PDA

View Full Version : Friendly Against Sheffield United

davehey79
27/06/2007, 9:52 AM
Taken from http://www.sufc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/NewsDetail/0,,10418~1061912,00.html

Tuesday 24th July - Flancare Park

Longford Town vs Sheffield United

don't think its been posted here already.

Only1Rovers
27/06/2007, 3:16 PM
Good to see the likes of Longford attracting clubs like Sheff Utd here. Cant see Rovers pulling something like that off.

Claret Murph
27/06/2007, 3:22 PM
Yer i hope the get a big crowd as we all know they could do with the money .

RonnieB
27/06/2007, 7:27 PM
Now where is my "Tevez is god " banner :D

Tallanted
27/06/2007, 8:34 PM
Great chance for the band wagon fans to come out of the closet again and then dissappear back into the sunset.. A big crowd at the ucd game on the saturday before would be more appropriate than a big crowd at a friendly with a championship side..Its fans for league games we need badly

sligoman
27/06/2007, 10:31 PM
Can't see it selling out so I'll probably go to this. Don't call me a bandwagoner, I've been to Flancare 3 times this season and only once was cos of a Rovers game:p.

Risteard
27/06/2007, 10:47 PM
Now where is my "Tevez is god " banner :D

Maybe ye can get some advice in advance of appealing your relegation re: point deductions?:p

RonnieB
28/06/2007, 8:00 AM
:P, and sligoman you have been to three more games than a lot of our "fans"

Tallanted
28/06/2007, 8:47 AM
Its true 3 games is way ahead of some people that claim to support us. Hopefully we can make a bit of money out oof it, we need all we can get

Martinho II
01/07/2007, 11:12 AM
its a bit of a coup getting sheffield utd. i wonder how the coup was pulled? hopefully there will be a huge crowd at it. the best news I have heard all season. Its a long time since we played a english division one team norwich city anyone?:D

Ash
19/07/2007, 1:27 PM
Has there been much of a take up in tickets?

Just read on yer website:

There is a great buzz around Longford and indeed around
the Midlands and even further afield as the visit draws near.

To be honest I heard that little about it around here that I totally forgot
the game was on. Probably tip over to see it if our reserve team havent
got a game fixed for Tuesday.

Actually, just chatting to a work mate from Longford (just outside the town)
and he didnt even know the game was on!

Longfordian
20/07/2007, 10:34 AM
People have been on to the club from various places including people from Athlone and from Wexford. It's been advertised on the radio and was supposed to be in local papers this week, haven't seen them myself.There's been a bit of talk about it but a lot of people would be waiting to see the weather forecast I'd imagine. Sheffield are expecting to bring a few hundred with them

Ash
20/07/2007, 1:55 PM
Actually just seen a poster for it in the Shamrock Lodge Hotel (Athlone) today.

Ash
23/07/2007, 11:43 AM
Just rang LTFC. Tickets available at the ground tomorrow.
Nowhere near selling out according to the lad I was talking to.

As the ltfc.ie says

Tuesday night 24 July should be one of the biggest sporting nights of the year.
Forget the hay or silage, cut the lawn an other night, get a ticket for yourself and one
for a friend and come out to Flancare for what promises to be a really special night.

RonnieB
24/07/2007, 10:11 AM
Looking forward to the game this evening, hopefully there will be a big crowd and get a few quid in.

sligoman
24/07/2007, 1:08 PM
Looking forward to this meself. Hopefully Wexler will be playing!?!

RockofGibraltar
24/07/2007, 10:58 PM
what a spirited performance by the town they really went at sheffield really really unlucky not to have drawn or even won the game think alan o'riordan is starting to really fit into the team nicely and deego is excellent in midfield in the last few games hopefully we can get a positive result now in friday in bray

RockofGibraltar
24/07/2007, 11:08 PM
the guts of 2000

sligoman
25/07/2007, 12:06 AM
Very good performance from Longford alright. Ye really need to sign a good striker though, Mooney and Baker are terrible. All the chances that were created were just wasted with their weak shots. Good turn-out too, pity they don't show up for league games, I hate barstoolers:mad:

Longfordian
25/07/2007, 1:46 AM
Problem is that strikers are the most expensive commodity in football. Could really do with unearthing one from somewhere though.Good performance from the lads, they all give absolutely everything every time. We've recruited some new Sheffield supporters who are coming to follow us in Bray on Friday too! Should be amusing.

Ash
25/07/2007, 8:07 AM
Cant believe Longford didnt win that game! If they had a striker
they would have netted 3 or 4 at least.

Wouldn't have a clue if Sheffield Utd had many of their first team
out but whoever they had on the pitch were absolutely brutal!

Decent enough crowd so hopefully it'll bring in a a nice lump of cash.

Titan
25/07/2007, 8:34 AM
What was the score?

passinginterest
25/07/2007, 9:14 AM
It was 1-0 to Sheffield and according to the RTE match report Longford murdered them :eek:

Sheffield didn't manage a single shot on target in the second half.

So proof positive that the worst team in the Eircom Premier can compete with teams from EPL and Championship :D

Titan
25/07/2007, 9:23 AM
It was 1-0 to Sheffield and according to the RTE match report Longford murdered them :eek:

Sheffield didn't manage a single shot on target in the second half.

So proof positive that the worst team in the Eircom Premier can compete with teams from EPL and Championship :D

Thanks

Longfordian
25/07/2007, 11:46 AM
According to the Sheffield United lads they had nine first team regulars playing.

sligoman
25/07/2007, 11:47 AM
According to the Sheffield United lads they had nine first team regulars playing.Interesting season for them in Championship coming up so...

Longfordian
25/07/2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah they were decidedly pessimistic about their chances of going up, "we might make the play offs" was the general feeling.

Ash
25/07/2007, 1:48 PM
Yeah they were decidedly pessimistic about their chances of going up, "we might make the play offs" was the general feeling.

Jaysus, I'd have thought that after that performance they'd be lucky not to
get relegated!!!!

Pauro 76
26/07/2007, 2:02 PM
Quite proud when i heard that result. Fair play! Great stuff recruiting a few Sheffield United fans for Friday too! Shame the fanzine didnt come out though.... did they sing their 'Chip Butty' song?

Ash
27/07/2007, 8:57 AM
Quite proud when i heard that result. Fair play! Great stuff recruiting a few Sheffield United fans for Friday too! Shame the fanzine didnt come out though.... did they sing their 'Chip Butty' song?

Didnt hear much singing apart from the Section O gang and the odd
shout of "Longford (clap clap clap)" from the stand when ye came close
to scoring.

The Sheff fans in the corner of the uncovered stand started singing something
but I couldnt hear them properly.

Martinho II
29/07/2007, 7:03 PM
there was around six sheff utd supporters in bray on fri nite. fair play to them for cumin down, they were chanting with us at the end! they have to still play portadown they were tellin me.:)

Longfordian
30/07/2007, 2:25 PM
Yeah the lads had been staying in Dublin since Wednesday. They all said they had a brilliant time in Longford and would definitely be following our progress with interest!