PDA

View Full Version : Greatest World Cup game ever

OwlsFan
27/06/2007, 9:16 AM
Excluding Ireland, mine has to be the clash between Germany and Italy in the semi-final in 1970. Described by Wikipedia as follows:

Italy took a 1-0 lead through Roberto Boninsegna on 8 minutes after an excellent "one-two" combination with Luigi Riva. West Germany pressed to equalize for the rest of the game, until the very end when sweeper Karl-Heinz Schnellinger, then with Italy's AC Milan, scored in injury time. In extra time, Gerd Müller brought Germany the lead on 94 minutes before Italy defender Tarcisio Burgnich leveled the score with a rare international goal. On 104 minutes, Riva made it 3-2 past goalkeeper Sepp Maier, only for Müller to equalize six minutes later. Television cameras were still replaying this goal when Italy midfielder Gianni Rivera, left unmarked near the penalty spot, volleyed a fine Boninsegna cross past Maier for the winning goal in the 111th minute. Franz Beckenbauer refused to stop playing after sustaining a broken clavicle from an Italian foul during extra time: as Helmut Schön, the West German manager, had already used the two permitted substitutes, Beckenbauer (who was critical to the German side) stayed on with his arm in a sling. This match is regarded as the "Game of the Century", also known as the Partita del Secolo in Italy and Jahrhundertspiel in Germany. A monument at the Estadio Azteca in Mexico City commemorates it.

There were some great matches in that tournament, blighted by the constant showing by the British media of the Gordon Banks save vs Brazil (the greatest save in the world ever :rolleyes:).

tetsujin1979
27/06/2007, 9:47 AM
The final in 1970, two teams at the height of their powers, neither would be anything close to this strong for more than a decade.
And one of my favorite goals ever - Carlos Alberto lashing it in after Pele's almost nonchalant pass rolls the ball out to him

shedite
27/06/2007, 10:31 AM
I'm too young for either of those games. In my recent memory, Romania V Argentina in USA 94, or Argentina V Mexico from 2006.

Risteard
27/06/2007, 10:46 AM
Didn't match up well but I nearly wet myself during Argentina v Serbia.
Best football (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZuolqn06k) i've ever seen.

OwlsFan
27/06/2007, 12:31 PM
Didn't match up well but I nearly wet myself during Argentina v Serbia.
Best football (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYZuolqn06k) i've ever seen.

Some good looking Argentinian women in the crowd scenes ;) Is that why you wet yourself :) ?

Risteard
27/06/2007, 12:46 PM
Nearly.

Billy Lord
27/06/2007, 4:48 PM
The best game I ever saw was Italy 3 Brazil 2 in Spain 82 because they were two great sides playing super football in a real ding-dong encounter.
I know a lot's said about Italy-West Germany in 1970, but it was actually a poor enough game played by two tired teams who both fell apart during extra-time.
Last year's Italy-Germany semi was also a superb game of ball.

The Sheliban
27/06/2007, 6:25 PM
Saw highlights of that Italy-Germany semifinal recently.
One amusing incident in extra time when an Italian defender ran 30 yards to rugby tackle a German from behind. Defender not even spoken to!! Just a free kick!
Just a tad too young to remember it, but North Korea v Portugal in 66 sounds a cracker (bit like Shels and Rangers)

pineapple stu
27/06/2007, 6:29 PM
Really enjoyed Brazil 5-2 Costa Rica from the 2002 World Cup. Not the greatest of games technically, but just two teams who went out and actually played attacking football almost for the love of the game.

Sheridan
27/06/2007, 6:37 PM
Romania 3-2 Argentina at USA 94. Conventional wisdom attributes Romania's victory to the absence of Maradona but Argentina were just beaten by a better team in what was probably the last truly great match in a World Cup.

dfx-
27/06/2007, 7:17 PM
Really enjoyed Brazil 5-2 Costa Rica from the 2002 World Cup. Not the greatest of games technically, but just two teams who went out and actually played attacking football almost for the love of the game.

That was a brilliant game..worth watching at 10am.

I remember Spain and Nigeria in 1998 being excellent as well for the same reasons

pineapple stu
27/06/2007, 8:14 PM
It was a 7am game, as I recall. Missed the first goal making my corn flakes!

TonyD
27/06/2007, 8:35 PM
The 1982 Semi between France and Germany was a classic. Germany on penos after a 3-3 draw. Superb game. As already mentioned, Brazil v Italy from the same tournament was another great game.

Risteard
27/06/2007, 10:49 PM
Christ, you must get up hours and hours before work every morning.

lofty9
28/06/2007, 8:35 AM
The best game I ever saw was Italy 3 Brazil 2 in Spain 82 because they were two great sides playing super football in a real ding-dong encounter..

Same for me. It is actually one of my first memories of football, I think this match got me hooked. Paolo Rossi was my hero after that game:) I still reckon he was stitched up in the betting scandal.

RogerMilla
28/06/2007, 9:05 AM
france brazil in 86 , was outside playing football and a neighbour called us into his house when the game started , we watched it there , stuck to the telly while his mother gave us coke and crisps. vaguely remember cheering for NI in '82 ( oh how times have changed) but by 86 was ready for the whole thing. no tournament since has been as good as that one to my mind , luis fernandez scored the winning peno and we were gutted as we wished the game could have gone on for a few more hours.

superfrank
28/06/2007, 9:30 AM
I'm too young to have seen a lot of these games at the time. I only remember '94 onwards, even then I didn't watch most of '94 cos of the unreal starting times and all 6 year olds have bedtimes. Anyway.......

My picks would be:
Netherlands 2-1 Argentina QF '98
Great game, also had that (http://ie.youtube.com/watch?v=ESl0-qZxlik) Bergkamp goal.

Argentina 2-2 England Second Round '98
I remember being on the edge of my seat for most of that match.

South Korea 2-1 Italy Second Round '02
Again, I was on the edge of my seat for the whole time.

monutdfc
28/06/2007, 2:02 PM
Italy 3 Brazil 2 in Espana '82 gets my vote.
France v Germany semi-final of the same tournament was not far behind

pineapple stu
28/06/2007, 7:05 PM
I was on study leave at the time for my accountancy exams at the time. Up at 7, watch three games in a row, four hours study and then sleep for a while! :p

Ireland v Germany was a 12:30 kick off, for example. Nearly didn't do any study that day!

viagogo
28/06/2007, 7:35 PM
Last World Cup semi between Germany and Italy. Football at the highest level and two great goals at the end.

Risteard
28/06/2007, 8:25 PM

I was on study leave at the time for my accountancy exams at the time. Up at 7, watch three games in a row, four hours study and then sleep for a while! :p

Ireland v Germany was a 12:30 kick off, for example. Nearly didn't do any study that day!

:) :p

pineapple stu
28/06/2007, 8:27 PM
Do you have any idea how long it takes to pour milk at seven in the morning, after about a week of staring at the telly for six hours and studying four more hours each day?!

Risteard
28/06/2007, 8:36 PM
The milk is grand but Kelloggs package the cornflakes readymade nowadays.
Saves you acres of land, many pairs of wellies and 6 months of corn growth.

pineapple stu
28/06/2007, 8:42 PM
But sure what would I plant out the back then?

You'll be telling me next the milk is ready packaged too.

What's the right verb then? You make breakfast, so it sounds right that you make your cornflakes too.

Reckon this is off topic?

Risteard
28/06/2007, 8:53 PM
Reckon this is off topic?
No.
I distinctly remember the special World Cup Subbuteo sets free with Cornflakes in 2002.
P.s. POUR

Okay, i'm finished now.

After that Argentina Serbia match, my best memories would obviously be of Ireland v Romania.

OwlsFan
01/07/2007, 8:33 PM
Dare I say it the World Cup Final of 1966 was a classic (the FA Cup Final that year was also a classic :().

pineapple stu
01/07/2007, 8:42 PM
Wasn't really. Have it on video - think it was repeated on BBC around 1996 - and it's not a great game of football. A great occasion undoubtedly, but not a great game.

OwlsFan
02/07/2007, 7:13 AM
Classic or great games aren't necessarilty about the quality of the football. They're about the drama and the excitement. That's why I doubt none will ever beat that game between Italy and Germany I first mentioned.

Steve Bruce
02/07/2007, 9:14 AM
Spain, 1982, Gerry Armstrong - THE MATCH(from a Northern Ireland point of view :D)

OwlsFan
02/07/2007, 3:57 PM
Spain, 1982, Gerry Armstrong - THE MATCH(from a Northern Ireland point of view :D)

Teams you follow don't count :p I saw the game though live and we on the other side of the border have never had a result like that. It would have been the equivalent of us beating Italy in 1990.

RogerMilla
02/07/2007, 4:56 PM
Teams you follow don't count :p I saw the game though live and we on the other side of the border have never had a result like that. It would have been the equivalent of us beating Italy in 1990.

agreed or the russians in 88 or perhaps even beating spain on penos in 2002 as they had a very good side

gustavo
03/07/2007, 9:20 AM
Or the Italians in 1994 , Oh wait no...

OwlsFan
03/07/2007, 9:51 AM
Or the Italians in 1994 , Oh wait no...

Beating a major team on its own turf is what I mean. NY was Irish that day.

Piltownpossy
06/07/2007, 11:22 AM
...plenty to choose from and good shouts on the 1982 matches.

This for me would be up there too from 1986 - just imagine scoring a hat trick in a World Cup match and still losing! Cracking little player that Belanov

Belgium 4 3 Soviet Union
(León 1986)

One of the best games in the World Cup, the Soviets seemed capable of overcoming a Belgian side that had done little of note so far in the tournament. Two goals from the Russian striker Igor Belanov had handed the initiative to the USSR, although Belgium had scored through the little Sicilian=bred midfielder Enzo Scifo. But late in the game a long ball beat the offside trap set by the Soviet defence and the Belgium forward Jan Ceulemans only had Rinat Dassajev the goalkeeper to beat, and Ceulemans scored.

So extra time was needed, and the Belgiums were better mentally equipped, compared to the Soviets whose minds were perhaps already on the quarter-finals. Belgium scored two cheap goals, and although Belanov was able to complete his hat-trick with a late penalty, once Belgium had their foot in the quarter-finals they would not relinquish their prize.

CollegeTillIDie
07/07/2007, 2:54 PM
The final in 1970, two teams at the height of their powers, neither would be anything close to this strong for more than a decade.
And one of my favorite goals ever - Carlos Alberto lashing it in after Pele's almost nonchalant pass rolls the ball out to him

Not true about the Italians the team they had in 1973 was better, beating Brazil , England and Germany and they were in the middle of an 11 .5 game run where they did not concede a goal. However by the next year's World Cup in Germany they had peaked though and were a shadow of the side from the previous year bowing out in the group stages of the World Cup. Had it been held a year earlier, Italy might well have won it. But if my aunt had balls she'd be my uncle.:D

The semi-final was a much better game either side could have won it right to the end. Once Brazil went 3-1 up in the Final the result was never in doubt.

Thunderblaster
11/07/2007, 10:49 PM
My best World Cup games were:

1986-Brazil V France

1990-Argentina V Cameroon

1994-Argentina V Romania

1998-England V Argentina

2002-Brazil V England

2006-Argentina V Mexico

stojkovic
13/07/2007, 8:57 PM
1974 Holland 4-0 Argentina
Holland 2-0 Brasil

1978 Italy 1-0 Argentina
Argentina 2-1 France
Holland 2-1 Italy
Argentina 3-1 Holland

1982 Brasil 2-1 USSR
Italy 3-2 Brasil
Germany 3-3 France

1986 France 1-1 USSR
France 1-1 Brasil
Belgium 4-3 USSR
Argentina 2-1 England
Argentina 3-2 Germany

1990 Germany 2-1 Holland

1994 Romania 3-2 Argentina
Bulgaria 2-1 Germany
Brasil 3-2 Holland
Ireland 1-0 Italy

1998 Argentina 2-2 England
Holland 2-1 Argentina

2006 Argentina 6-0 Serbia
Argentina 2-1 Mexico
Italy 2-0 Germany

Marked Man
15/07/2007, 12:20 AM
...plenty to choose from and good shouts on the 1982 matches.

This for me would be up there too from 1986 - just imagine scoring a hat trick in a World Cup match and still losing! Cracking little player that Belanov

Belgium 4 3 Soviet Union
(León 1986)

One of the best games in the World Cup, the Soviets seemed capable of overcoming a Belgian side that had done little of note so far in the tournament. Two goals from the Russian striker Igor Belanov had handed the initiative to the USSR, although Belgium had scored through the little Sicilian=bred midfielder Enzo Scifo. But late in the game a long ball beat the offside trap set by the Soviet defence and the Belgium forward Jan Ceulemans only had Rinat Dassajev the goalkeeper to beat, and Ceulemans scored.

So extra time was needed, and the Belgiums were better mentally equipped, compared to the Soviets whose minds were perhaps already on the quarter-finals. Belgium scored two cheap goals, and although Belanov was able to complete his hat-trick with a late penalty, once Belgium had their foot in the quarter-finals they would not relinquish their prize.

Best game I've ever seen, that one.

Bluebeard
19/07/2007, 12:20 PM
Two will always stand out for me

1982 Semifinal France 3-3 Germany
1994 Round of 16? Romania 3-2 Argentina

Closed Account 2
21/07/2007, 9:45 PM
1994 Round of 16? Romania 3-2 Argentina

Indeed, THIS is how you defend a corner...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vivmbhXs0tM&mode=related&search=