PDA

View Full Version : Chris Benoit and Family found dead

Pages : [1] 2

joeSoap
26/06/2007, 9:11 AM
Wrestler Chris Benoit and family found dead
CHRIS Benoit, one of TV wrestling's leading personalities, and his family have been found dead in their home in a town in Georgia, the World Wrestling Entertainment body has said.

The bodies of Benoit, a 40-year-old Canadian, his wife Nancy, and their seven-year-old son were found after the wrestler missed an engagement to attend to a "family crisis", according to WWE.

Police are investigating at the scene and precise circumstances of the deaths are unclear. Autopsies are to be carried out but police have said they are investigating the deaths as homicides.

The WWE has said the death of Benoit - known as the Canadian Crippler - and his family is a "terrible tragedy".

"Chris was beloved among his fellow Superstars, and was a favorite among WWE fans for his unbelievable athleticism and wrestling ability," the WWE has said.

"He always took great pride in his performance, and always showed respect for the business he loved, for his peers and towards his fans. This is a terrible tragedy and an unbearable loss.

"WWE extends its sincere condolences and prayers to the Benoit family and loved ones in this time of tragedy."

The president of the Canadian WWE has said: "Chris was always first-class - warm, friendly,
caring and professional ... one of the best in our business".

Benoit was a world heavyweight champion, intercontinental champion and tag-team champion.

Nancy Benoit was a wrestling manager who went by the stage name "Woman", the Atlanta Journal-Constitution has reported.

The paper has reported that the pair met when wrestling show scripts paired them romantically. They became involved in real life soon after.

He missed a scheduled event in Houston over the weekend because of what the ringside announcer called "personal reasons". In its broadcast, the WWE blamed the no-show on a "family emergency".

The WWE has said the upcoming episode of Raw would serve as a tribute to Benoit.

news.com.au

Seems he killed the wife and child, and then himself. God bless them all.

See here (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/ap/nation/4920129.html)

paul_oshea
26/06/2007, 9:50 AM
he always looked very intense when wrestling. really was a great wrestler unreal athleticism. the fights him and kurt angle had were class, no fakeness or choreography in their fights, having said that they were never as entertaining because of this, it was just pure wrestling ability.

joeSoap
26/06/2007, 11:26 AM
He was a 'real' wrestler...like Angle, Eddie Guerrero and a few others. Not a cartoon figure like Cena, Edge etc. Pity he's gone. I used to enjoy watching his matches. Maybe now he can have a few matches in the sky with Eddie Guerrero.....

tetsujin1979
26/06/2007, 12:20 PM
the fights him and kurt angle had were class, no fakeness or choreography in their fights, having said that they were never as entertaining because of this, it was just pure wrestling ability.

Angle VS Benoit from Wrestlemania 17
mcdGhOWVCb8

sligoman
26/06/2007, 12:44 PM
Couldn't believe this when I heard it last night. Turned on Sky Sports expecting to see Raw live but then it turned out to be a 3 hour special of "remembering Chris Benoit":(.

Risteard
26/06/2007, 12:45 PM
the fights him and kurt angle had were class, no fakeness or choreography in their fights, having said that they were never as entertaining because of this, it was just pure wrestling ability.
I doubt it.
Antics with the referee and tapping out there would indicate otherwise.

osarusan
26/06/2007, 12:53 PM
I doubt it.
Antics with the referee and tapping out there would indicate otherwise.

Agreed. No disrespest to Chris Benoit or any other WWE wrestler, but I've never seen any WWF/E which wasnt clearly fake and choreographed. Not saying they arent fine athletes, and Kurt Angle clearly is a talented wrestler, but it is still just an act in WWF/E.

Tetsujin, did you post that clip to support or question Paul's comment?

Red4Eva
26/06/2007, 1:08 PM
such a shock i got when the “the memory of chris benoit” screen flashed up at the start of raw. whatever happened in that house, it's pretty ****ed up

paul_oshea
26/06/2007, 1:12 PM
well ya im sure the winner was decided beforehand, as it always is, but the moves they did werent fake and they didnt jump like the rest of the wrestlers, they did though as you will notice move with the particular move being pulled off by the opponent to ensure their own safety.

joeSoap
26/06/2007, 2:17 PM
Reports on CNN are that the missus was about to leave him, and take the child. Benoit obviously reacted badly to this, if true.

It's a very very sad story. My heart goes out to all their families and friends.

tetsujin1979
26/06/2007, 2:48 PM
Tetsujin, did you post that clip to support or question Paul's comment?

A little from column A, a little from column B
the wrestling in the bout is far superior to the usual "punch-while-stamping-foot-for-authentic-noise" dreck usually served up, while obviously the ref getting "knocked out" was part of the act.
I've been trying to find a clip of the Chris Benoit - Bret Hart tribute to Owen Hart match online, but nada so far. Top match, just pure wrestling with none of the associated crap.

jebus
26/06/2007, 3:01 PM
Like others was shocked when I tuned in to Raw last night to find the empty arena and McMahon paying tribute to Benoit. Its weird how his own life, and that of Woman (who I also remember from WCW) and their son ended up, as Benoit always had a reputation for being a family man above all else, hopefully it was quick and painless for all three when it came for all three of them, and hopefully Benoit's other children will be able to move past this.

As a wrestling fan I'll miss his matches, he may not have been the best on the mic, but he was up there with Bret and Owen Hart, Kurt Angle, Dean Malenko, Chris Jericho and Curt Hennig as guys who made people believe that the WWF had quality athletes

Bluebeard
26/06/2007, 3:04 PM
Seems it was a suicide murder alright - here (http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/benoitupdate) is the latest from the WWE.

Poor Student
26/06/2007, 4:31 PM
If the reports are true then this makes the saddest and most tragic premature wrestling death and unfortunately that says a lot. It'll be a bit uneasy to pay tribute to the man considering he seems to have murdered his own wife and child. For those who don't know him, Benoit was as good as many for making that performance in the ring seem believable. Aberdonian Stu and I were only singing his praises on Friday and neither of us have watched wrestling in years.:eek:

paul_oshea
26/06/2007, 4:35 PM
, Benoit was as good as many for making that performance in the ring seem believable

he didnt have to make anything seem believeable.....

Block G Raptor
26/06/2007, 6:22 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/News/World/2007/06/26/4291839.html

Holy mother of God these wrestlers really are nut jobs

Block G Raptor
26/06/2007, 6:33 PM
Sorry didn't see the other thread in off topic
Damn thought i'd got a good scoop there

Block G Raptor
26/06/2007, 6:40 PM
Can't see how anyone can be paying tribute to this class A nut Job ffs he's killed his wife and child and then took the cowards way out and the WWE see fit to air a 3 hour Tribute to him. Does anyone else see this as a bit bizarre?

Poor Student
26/06/2007, 6:44 PM
I think they dived into it before the full details emerged. Tributes to him were on the site this morning but seem to be removed now. All aspects of him have been removed from the site except for the news story. They'll probably distance themselves from him fairly rapidly.

Block G Raptor
26/06/2007, 6:49 PM
I think they dived into it before the full details emerged. Tributes to him were on the site this morning but seem to be removed now. All aspects of him have been removed from the site except for the news story. They'll probably distance themselves from him fairly rapidly.

Ah that makes sense. was wondering was it ok to do things like that in the eye's of the WWE as long as you're good at your job.

jebus
26/06/2007, 8:38 PM
You'd be surprsied at what wrestlers can get away with. Lex Luger fed Miss Elizabeth's addictions for years and when she died from heart failure due to said addictions a lot of companies (WWF/E included) were thinking about re-hiring him because his name was newsworthy again. Stone Cole Steve Austin beat his wife (Debra) a few times, no one cared about that. Randy Orton w@nked in one of the female wrestlers bag, and then pushed her on the ground and simulated a sex act on her and the female wrestler got fired. Shawn Michaels got off his face on cocaine whilst driving his SUV, and when some guy honked his horn at him for being all over the road Shawn rammed him off the road and pointed a loaded shotgun at him, he got a hero's reception in the WWF the next week. Macho Man Randy Savage had sex with a then 14/15 year off Stephanie McMahon and was fired, but never reported to the police, so you got the feeling if the 14/15 year old in question wasn't the boss's daughter it wouldn't have mattered. And its not worth going into Eddie Guerrero, Ric Flair or the Von Erichs stories. It seems the only normal ones in wrestling are the Hart family (who's problems revolve around regular divorces and accidents) and Hulk Hogan (who genuinely seems to be an idiot, but thats all)

heres a link for the latest news http://www.lordsofpain.net/news/2007/articles/1182886243.php

Poor Student
26/06/2007, 8:41 PM
Macho Man Randy Savage had sex with a then 14/15 year off Stephanie McMahon and was fired, but never reported to the police, so you got the feeling if the 14/15 year old in question wasn't the boss's daughter it wouldn't have mattered.

You serious!? Never heard that one before.:eek:

jebus
26/06/2007, 8:44 PM
You serious!? Never heard that one before.:eek:

Ever wondered why Macho has never been brought back? Or why he has never been inducted in the WWE Hall of Fame? The guy was one of the most popular wrestlers of all time after all

gilberto_eire
26/06/2007, 8:47 PM
Like others was shocked when I tuned in to Raw last night to find the empty arena and McMahon paying tribute to Benoit. Its weird how his own life, and that of Woman (who I also remember from WCW) and their son ended up, as Benoit always had a reputation for being a family man above all else, hopefully it was quick and painless for all three when it came for all three of them, and hopefully Benoit's other children will be able to move past this.

As a wrestling fan I'll miss his matches, he may not have been the best on the mic, but he was up there with Bret and Owen Hart, Kurt Angle, Dean Malenko, Chris Jericho and Curt Hennig as guys who made people believe that the WWF had quality athletes

oooh so thats why you are the way you are!!(your a wrestling fan):rolleyes:

sad to see in any walk of life but in america things like this arent too uncommon........ country has got some serious issues that need addresssing!!
regards!!

Risteard
26/06/2007, 9:20 PM
I've read of this Randy Savage and Stephanie stuff being a constant urban myth.
I've heard it alleged before but the
Ever wonder . . . . . . . . ? stuff isn't proof.

dancinpants
26/06/2007, 9:23 PM
sad to see in any walk of life but in america things like this arent too uncommon........ country has got some serious issues that need addresssing!!
regards!!

Very true, there seems to have been alot in the last couple of weeks alone. An Irish man killed his two daughters and himself just last week in NJ. Sad state of affairs.

Ringo
27/06/2007, 9:49 AM
Bring back "big daddy" & "giant haystacks", Saturday afternoons:)

jebus
27/06/2007, 11:46 AM
I've read of this Randy Savage and Stephanie stuff being a constant urban myth.
I've heard it alleged before but the
Ever wonder . . . . . . . . ? stuff isn't proof.

I don't know, its been said by quite a few people, and has been knocking around for so many years without anyone saying its a lie that I'd tend to believe it, not proven I know, but then again outside of Stephanie, Savage or Vince confirming it, which none are likely to do, it will always be considered unproven

jebus
27/06/2007, 12:05 PM
Have just heard that Vince McMahon is going to be on ECW live on Sci-Fi in the States tonight where he will apologise for the Chris Benoit tribute show (in light of revelations), explain that they believe he had been murdered at the time, and talk about how steroids and 'riod rage' may have pushed Benoit to do what he did

Aberdonian Stu
27/06/2007, 12:06 PM
It was last night and he didn't mention the roid rage. Was very simple and polite actually, quite well delivered. Video is on wwe.com.

joeSoap
27/06/2007, 12:09 PM
Bring back "big daddy" & "giant haystacks", Saturday afternoons:) They're dead too.......:eek:

SaucyJack
27/06/2007, 12:10 PM
Read this morning in a NY paper that Benoit had started giving his 7 year old son dose's of human growth hormone(hgh) because he thought the kid was too small for his age,,, what a sicko.

jebus
27/06/2007, 12:19 PM
It was last night and he didn't mention the roid rage. Was very simple and polite actually, quite well delivered. Video is on wwe.com.

Jesus todays wednesday? I seriously need to get a job, my life is turning into Jeff Lebowskis :p

jebus
27/06/2007, 12:21 PM
Read this morning in a NY paper that Benoit had started giving his 7 year old son dose's of human growth hormone(hgh) because he thought the kid was too small for his age,,, what a sicko.

The kid had some form of genetic disorder, don't know if it stunted his growth, but he might have been on medication for it, or some form of prescribed hormone, so I wouldn't read too much into that until the full details come out

Bluebeard
27/06/2007, 12:28 PM
Jesus todays wednesday? I seriously need to get a job, my life is turning into Jeff Lebowskis :p

One of Us!
One of Us!

Jerry The Saint
27/06/2007, 12:35 PM
he didn't mention the roid rage.

Too right he didn't - this could get very messy for the WWE.

SaucyJack
27/06/2007, 1:33 PM
The kid had some form of genetic disorder, don't know if it stunted his growth, but he might have been on medication for it, or some form of prescribed hormone, so I wouldn't read too much into that until the full details come out

yeah, just read about that, "Fragile X syndrome", an inherited form of mental retardation.

http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2007/06/26/fragile_x_study_raises_hopes_for_autism/

strangeirish
27/06/2007, 1:50 PM
Bring back "big daddy" & "giant haystacks", Saturday afternoons:)
:D Or Kendo Nagasaki. Did anyone ever get his mask off?

Anto McC
27/06/2007, 4:58 PM
http://www.wwe.com/inside/news/chairmanbenoit

bellavistaman
28/06/2007, 9:31 AM
It was an awful thing very heavy stuff, what a bout Vince "coming back from th dead" to deliver the statement i bet ya a few kids were shocked!!! But Benoit must have had some savage problems in his head. great wrestler for years though.

Ringo
28/06/2007, 10:07 AM

Big Daddy was the first to take it off!!!!!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shirley_Crabtree

paul_oshea
28/06/2007, 1:30 PM
http://prowrestling.about.com/od/whatsrealwhatsfake/a/wrestlersdeaths.htm

i was trying to add this to the chris benoit one, but i couldnt find it, i hope it wasnt merged with the so farewelll one then, as this had quite a few entries and was a subject on its own.

BohsPartisan
28/06/2007, 2:33 PM
http://prowrestling.about.com/od/whatsrealwhatsfake/a/wrestlersdeaths.htm

i was trying to add this to the chris benoit one, but i couldnt find it, i hope it wasnt merged with the so farewelll one then, as this had quite a few entries and was a subject on its own.

http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=64196&page=3

joeSoap
28/06/2007, 2:48 PM
In a story broken by Alex Marvez, a syndicated sports columnist who has been posting Benoit updates over at WrestlingObserver.com, it has been confirmed by WWE attorney Jerry McDevitt that WWE has information confirming earlier reports that Daniel Benoit was indeed suffering from Fragile X syndrome, an inherited mental impairment/form of mental retardation that often is combined with autism. According to Marvez, "Chris Benoit's personal physician [Dr. Phil Astin] met with him the day of the murder" and "Nancy Benoit spoke with Astin the day before her murder to try and gain information about treating her son Daniel."

The latest versions of the Benoit story by the Associated Press, which can be found at Yahoo! News (most recent) and AccessNorthGA.com, include new details on the tragedy:

Astin, Chris Benoit's personal physician who also says he was Chris' friend, met with him the same day he allegedly killed his wife. Astin told the AP that Benoit "was in my office on Friday to stop by just to see my staff ... He certainly didn't show any signs of any distress or rage or anything ... I'm still very surprised and shocked, especially with his child Daniel involved ... He worshipped his child."

According to Astin, he had prescribed testosterone to Benoit, who suffered from low amounts of the hormone, likely from previous steroid use. He would not say what medication, if any, he prescribed to Benoit the day of the visit.

In the first story (AccessNorthGA.com), WWE's McDevitt told AP the following, regarding Chris and Nancy Benoit's struggles with Daniel's condition: "Him and Nancy were clearly struggling about this whole issue, about how to take care of Daniel ... I don't know what he confronted when he went back into the house ... No one really knows that. We'll have to see. Clearly this issue of the son was a stressor on both of their relationships for some time."

The newest AP story (Yahoo!) includes this quote from McDevitt: "I think it's fair to say that the subject of caring for that child was part of what made their relationship complicated and difficult, and it's something they were both constantly struggling with ... We do know it was a source of stress and consternation." The story goes on to say that WWE learned from Chris and Nancy's friends and relatives that these struggles included the question of where to send Daniel to school now that he had completed kindergarten as well as Nancy wanting Chris to be home more often to help take care of Daniel (but she reportedly didn't want him to quit wrestling).

District Attorney Scott Ballard clarified that, according to the autopsy, there were no bruise marks on Daniel's neck (later on MSNBC, Ballard said that there were, however, internal injuries in his throat area, and that the previously-reported 'track marks' on Daniel were old). This is leading them to assume by "process of elimination" that Daniel could have been killed by Benoit using a choke hold.

On the allegations that Benoit bought steroids from MedXLife, a company under investigation for selling steroids, HGH and testosterone over the Internet, MedXLife co-owner Dr. Gary Brandwein's attorney Terence Kindlon said "I've only read that [his client's company sold steroids to Chris Benoit] in the paper. I have no direct information about that whatsoever." He added that Albany County, NY, prosecutors were trying to "distract everyone's attention from the fact that their case is disintegrating."

WWE attorney McDevitt said all of the steroids found in Benoit's home were legitimately prescribed: "We know which doctor prescribed it ... There's no question, none of these drugs are out there, none of these drugs came from Internet pharmacies."

The newest AP story closed quoting Dr. Todd Schlifstein, a clinical assistant professor at the New York University School of Medicine, as saying "Just as you have the extreme high of when you're on steroids, you can get the opposite ... You can have a dramatic difference in mood swings. You can feel there's no hope, there's no future."

Erstwhile Bóz
28/06/2007, 2:59 PM
District Attorney Scott Ballard clarified that, according to the autopsy, there were no bruise marks on Daniel's neck (later on MSNBC, Ballard said that there were, however, internal injuries in his throat area, and that the previously-reported 'track marks' on Daniel were old). This is leading them to assume by "process of elimination" that Daniel could have been killed by Benoit using a choke hold.
Ah for f*ck's sake. :(

Lionel Ritchie
28/06/2007, 3:56 PM

She's the main man in
the office in the city
and she treats me like I'm just another lacky.
But I can put a tennis racket up against my face
and pretend that I am Kendo Nagasaki.

joeSoap
29/06/2007, 11:40 AM
It gets weirder (http://www.news.com.au/story/0,23599,21988443-2,00.html)

joeSoap
29/06/2007, 1:18 PM
Interview with Vince McMahon on NBC (http://www.pwmania.com/post/specials/headlines/185072176.php)

bellavistaman
29/06/2007, 8:24 PM
How can she blame Vince for people gettin addictions to alcohol. Its a joke. Didnt like the way she conducted the interview thought she was blaming vince, when Chris Benoit was to blame. Cant believe hes dead, never came across As that bad a person. Surprised Vince described him the way he did.

Casei11
30/06/2007, 12:39 AM
didnt like the way the woman interviewed him either but i couldnt agree more with what vince said