PDA

View Full Version : Beverly Flynn

pete
25/06/2007, 11:24 AM
RTE News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0625/flynnb.html)

She has apparently settled her bankruptcy case with RTE. Seems she has only paid €1.22m of a reported €2.8m debt. :(

I am sure RTE can pay the remainder by means of another licence fee increase. :mad:

I can't stand Flynn as she just as arrogant as her father. She has effectively been proven to have assisted people to evade tax & she thinks she suitable for a Ministry.

Truely an electorate of fools.

TonyD
25/06/2007, 12:33 PM
RTE News (http://www.rte.ie/news/2007/0625/flynnb.html)

She has effectively been proven to have assisted people to evade tax & she thinks she suitable for a Ministry.

Not just her, apparently Bertie agrees.

carrickharp
25/06/2007, 1:02 PM
Bloody joke:mad:

Lionel Ritchie
25/06/2007, 1:18 PM
Well what do the Irish people expect? They ordered sh1t, now let them eat it.

pete
25/06/2007, 5:58 PM
She was ejected from FF when she lost the 2004 Supreme Court case. What has changed since then to allow here to rejoin the party? Time?

:rolleyes:

Mr A
25/06/2007, 6:02 PM
Nothing to apologise for?

Helping people evade tax maybe? The 'I was only following orders' routine does not cut it. And costing the taxpayer a fortune by bringing a stupid case against RTE and then not being able to meet the costs?

But a brass neck will get you virtually anywhere in Irish politics. The odd bit of drinking driving, outright corruption, tax evasion or in several cases outright stupidity nonwithstanding.

pete
25/06/2007, 6:10 PM
Helping people evade tax maybe? The 'I was only following orders' routine does not cut it. And costing the taxpayer a fortune by bringing a stupid case against RTE and then not being able to meet the costs?

She is so arrogant she never claimed she did not use the 'following orders' excuse. She claimed she never sold these products as RTE had suggested. She lost in the High Court & despite having no funds to pay for the legal costs continued to the Supreme Court & lost again.

I heard its the legal fellas that will be out of pocket & not RTE but not sure how this stacks up...

Ah sure 40% of the electorate would vote for FF no matter what they do anyway...

jebus
25/06/2007, 6:18 PM
As Lionel Ritchie said, any of you who voted Fianna Fail can hardly complain now they have restarted their crooked deals

rebelarmyexile
26/06/2007, 11:10 PM
since she only paid off part of her debt, we will be payin exactly €1.58 of our licence fee into her arse pocket.

Superhoops
27/06/2007, 12:17 AM
...But a brass neck will get you virtually anywhere in Irish politics. The odd bit of drinking driving, outright corruption, tax evasion or in several cases outright stupidity nonwithstanding.

Irish politicians these days are beginning to make some of the so called corrupt African politicians look squeaky clean. Bertie is nearly as bad as Mugabe with his political favours.

rebelarmyexile
27/06/2007, 10:39 AM
Bertie is nearly as bad as Mugabe with his political favours.

Brilliant.

Noelys Guitar
01/07/2007, 6:05 PM
Imagine all the things that are not in the public domain about Bev, Bertie, and Pee Wee. They are untouchable and you can't even accuse them of abusing the system because they own the system. All completely wrong.

SolitudeRed
01/07/2007, 8:13 PM
This is a bloody joke, the things that the soldiers of bribery are allowed to get away with by the electorate astounds me!

Although from what i've been told the main opposition FG aren't that much better!

I remember when I was first trying to understand the differences between the southern political parties I asked a friend what was the difference was between FF and FG his reply was that it was exactly the same as the difference between s**t and sh**e.... its funny cos its true:D

anto1208
01/07/2007, 11:08 PM
Any truth in the story RTE are talking a woman to court for being 1 euro short on her tv licence ? :eek:

Wonder when ive to renew my licience they ll settle for half :D

Macy
02/07/2007, 9:30 AM
The electorate voted FF back in; let them spend the next 5 years phoning fookin Liveline giving out. Everyone knew that the last FF Government was morally bankrupt, but 40% didn't care when they were in the booth - so they have to live with this, like they will co-location, millionaire first time buyers paying no stamp duty, roads through national monuments, pro-business/ anti-worker opt out's of EU treaties etc etc.

Although from what i've been told the main opposition FG aren't that much better!

I remember when I was first trying to understand the differences between the southern political parties I asked a friend what was the difference was between FF and FG his reply was that it was exactly the same as the difference between s**t and sh**e....
In terms of general policy maybe, but FG certainly wouldn't be as endemically corrupt as FF or be as "power by any means necessary" as FF either. Probably part of their (FG) problem is that they can't as easily dump their conscience for short term electoral gain. I wouldn't be a fan of most FG policies either, but I don't think it's quite correct to suggest their essentially the same morally even if they are both centre right parties.

pete
02/07/2007, 10:30 AM
Still waiting for Bertie to explain what has changed since 2004 that would allow Flynn back into Fianna Fail. I think he will just give two fingers to the public as he doesn't have an Election anytime soon.

I wonder how the Green Party bastions of clean politics feel about this or have justified as acceptable compromise in their access to power...?

dfx-
02/07/2007, 9:39 PM
Am I the only one who couldn't care less that RTÉ settled with somebody regardless of the ire of Liveline?

bennocelt
02/07/2007, 9:42 PM
The electorate voted FF back in; let them spend the next 5 years phoning fookin Liveline giving out. Everyone knew that the last FF Government was morally bankrupt, but 40% didn't care when they were in the booth - so they have to live with this, like they will co-location, millionaire first time buyers paying no stamp duty, roads through national monuments, pro-business/ anti-worker opt out's of EU treaties etc etc.

I agree with what you are saying, but in reality the people didnt really have much alternative.......FG/Lab wasnt really ever on....was it?

Macy
03/07/2007, 7:47 AM
I agree with what you are saying, but in reality the people didnt really have much alternative.......FG/Lab wasnt really ever on....was it?
Why wasn't it? Because Berties an all round good sort who likes a pint of Bass? Because Cullen, Roche, Brennan, Coughlan, Gallagher et al were such irreplacable Ministers doing such sterling work? Because FF/PD didn't waste millions on hair brain scheme's? Because we really need more privatisation of the Health Service?

imo it's a personal cop out for people to suggest that they had no alternative but to vote FF again. It's like the fat girl who has some mystery "gland" problem to explain away their weight, rather than the fact they stuff their faces with chocolate and cakes.

reder
03/07/2007, 8:02 AM
Berties attitude to her is extremely strange. I was actually talking to someone about this last night. Does anyone get the feeling that Flynn may have some "interesting" knowledge regarding Bertie and thats why he is being so positive and nice regarding her issues.

Bluebeard
03/07/2007, 8:10 AM
Berties attitude to her is extremely strange. I was actually talking to someone about this last night. Does anyone get the feeling that Flynn may have some "interesting" knowledge regarding Bertie and thats why he is being so positive and nice regarding her issues.

Hmm. Well Mr. Bev Coop Flynn is a developer, if I'm not greatly mistaken.

I'm sure that there is no link.

superfrank
03/07/2007, 8:33 AM
Maybe Daddy let her in on the family business secrets?

pete
03/07/2007, 10:00 AM
I think now the facts have emerged RTE were correct to settle with Flynn as they would have got less money if they made her bankrupt.

Flynn has said she will pay the debt herself & not rely on family or friends. If she has a house would net 250k where is she getting the other 1m? I think she mentioned a loan but how could she get a loan if she has no assets? :confused:

At the risk of repeating myself I can't wait to hear how Bertie explains why he re-admitted her to FF. Even better I can't wait for FF-ers to justify admitting her...

NY Hoop
03/07/2007, 10:40 AM
The Flynn family: everything that is wrong with Irish politics.

KOH

pete
03/07/2007, 11:51 AM
The Flynn family: everything that is wrong with Irish politics.

KOH

Correction - Everything that is wrong with the Irish electorate.

Bluebeard
03/07/2007, 12:17 PM
Flynn has said she will pay the debt herself & not rely on family or friends. If she has a house would net 250k where is she getting the other 1m? I think she mentioned a loan but how could she get a loan if she has no assets? :confused:

No problem - she'll just declare the debt a business expense and offset it against tax.

Calcio Jack
03/07/2007, 12:44 PM
No problem - she'll just declare the debt a business expense and offset it against tax.

she can't

Macy
03/07/2007, 1:10 PM
At the risk of repeating myself I can't wait to hear how Bertie explains why he re-admitted her to FF. Even better I can't wait for FF-ers to justify admitting her...
He can't, and to echo Reder, isn't Pee Flynn due up in the Mahon Tribunal soon?

pete
03/07/2007, 1:56 PM
He can't, and to echo Reder, isn't Pee Flynn due up in the Mahon Tribunal soon?

He sure is. He will be asked to explain the claims by Tom Gilmartin that he accepted 50k bribe/donation/payment.

In fairness to Be Flynn she can't be asked to explain Pee Flynns dealings.

In related news apparently Bertie is keen to have the Mahon Tribunal closed sooner rather than later. :eek:

Macy
03/07/2007, 2:08 PM
He sure is. He will be asked to explain the claims by Tom Gilmartin that he accepted 50k bribe/donation/payment.
Yes, and many of those claims involve Bartholomew himself....

In fairness to Be Flynn she can't be asked to explain Pee Flynns dealings.
No, but who knows the effect on daddy of seeing his daughter looked after and back in the fold?

pete
03/07/2007, 2:52 PM
Yes, and many of those claims involve Bartholomew himself....

While there is quiet possibly some truth in there I don't Gilmartins word would be accepted in a Court as he is allover the place.

Lionel Ritchie
03/07/2007, 10:46 PM
While there is quiet possibly some truth in there I don't Gilmartins word would be accepted in a Court as he is allover the place.

While everyone is entitled to a presumption of innocence I don't think it's acceptable that our leaders and betters resort to the lowest legal principles of "can you prove I done it?". ...particularly one who has form for "irregular financial arrangments"

pete
03/07/2007, 10:54 PM
While everyone is entitled to a presumption of innocence I don't think it's acceptable that our leaders and betters resort to the lowest legal principles of "can you prove I done it?". ...particularly one who has form for "irregular financial arrangments"

I just think Gilmartin has undermined his own credibility with some wild accusations.

Lionel Ritchie
03/07/2007, 10:56 PM
I just think Gilmartin has undermined his own credibility with some wild accusations.

Agreed.

Macy
04/07/2007, 7:10 AM
Sorry, I'm obviously being too subtle for you. It is possible that Pee Flynn could corroborate Gilmartin's evidence against Bartholomew.

But pete, that's just how it's being spun. Most of what he's testifying is what he says Owen O'Callaghan told him, he's not claiming to have direct evidence of it actually taking place. This is being spun by FF as he making up wild accusations to discredit it him. Pretty much like they did with every other witness ever before the tribunal that has made allegations against FF politicians

Calcio Jack
04/07/2007, 7:20 AM

Well look at all the wild rumours that no one believed that have proven to be true.... eg Ray Burkes, Liam Lawlor and CJH.... they tried for years to discredit the Tribunals but in the end they were shown up for what they were.... who would of belived that a character such as Frank Dunlop was going around with a bag of cash bribing politicians ??? Sure Gilmartin has said some outrageous stuff but the other side of that is to ask why does the likes of Bertie want to wind down the Mahon tribunal ?? I don't accept its on the basis that it is a waste of taxpayers money, the reason being that although the tribunals are a very slow and cumbersome way of finding out what happened, overall their has being a substantial net gain to the exchequer in terms of monies , no Gilmartin knows what he's talking about albeit he is a little confused on dates but the tribunal staff will i believe use the info gleaned from him to show where their was coruption and by whom... based on the publics reaction to such findinds thus far not sure however whether it will effect FF, sure we'll get the usual "...ah jaysus well dat was in de past.. I tink it's time for us te move on..."

Superhoops
04/07/2007, 5:55 PM
...... based on the publics reaction to such findinds thus far not sure however whether it will effect FF, sure we'll get the usual "...ah jaysus well dat was in de past.. I tink it's time for us te move on..."
Sure it was only a few quid kept back from the Revenue Commissioner.........what's the harm in that?.......nobody got hurt....... nobody got killed!........they would be better off going after the real criminals :D

pete
04/07/2007, 6:16 PM
Sure it was only a few quid kept back from the Revenue Commissioner.........what's the harm in that?.......nobody got hurt....... nobody got killed!........they would be better off going after the real criminals :D

As Bertie said himself its time to move & forgive pass transgression & look to the future.

40% of the voters elected FF so does this prove voters don't care enough about bribery, fraud & corruption?

Docboy
04/07/2007, 6:29 PM
It proves that 40% of people only think of themselves, the "sure I'm alright Jack" mentality that's prevalent in large parts of Irish society.

Bluebeard
05/07/2007, 7:59 AM
It proves that 40% of people only think of themselves, the "sure I'm alright Jack" mentality that's prevalent in large parts of Irish society.

Hmm.

Democracy: By the people, for the people, of the people...

pete
05/07/2007, 10:38 AM
Democracy: By the people, for the people, of the people...

As I have often said the biggest problem with democracy is everyone gets a vote.

MyTown
05/07/2007, 10:56 AM
One commentator over the weekend noted that Beverly played the "poor me" card to highlight how no other NIB employee walked the plank over the tax evasion scam, and as usual she sounded very plausable too.

However, she neglected to tell us that SHE was by far the most successful saleswoman of this particular scheme in the bank. Nobody else came near her in terms of "money-in-the-bank" sales.

Her old man is as slippery as you'll get & she's a chip off the old block. Perfect pediggree for FF.

Her arrogance in suing for libel, her refusal to accept the consequences, should all find her guilty of bringing the (politics) game into disrepute. Instead she laughs all the way to Dail Eireann.

Pass me the bucket...

Oh and her total disregard for taxpayers money means she's ideal future Minister material:mad:

Macy
05/07/2007, 11:55 AM
One commentator over the weekend noted that Beverly played the "poor me" card to highlight how no other NIB employee walked the plank over the tax evasion scam, and as usual she sounded very plausable too.

However, she neglected to tell us that SHE was by far the most successful saleswoman of this particular scheme in the bank. Nobody else came near her in terms of "money-in-the-bank" sales.
It also ignores the fact that the case, which she took herself, was about her denying she sold them. She has never been in court accused of selling them, or left out there by NIB. Indeed NIB coming out saying that all their employee's were selling them would hardly have helped her case, as it would essentially prove she had, wouldn't it?

pete
05/07/2007, 12:03 PM

She claimed she did not so you logic would assume no one else did it either.

She was a politician so it was in the publics interest. It would have served no purpose for RTE to do a report on an individual sales person.

The whole case proves her arrogance. All she had to do was say she did not realise that the products were illegal as she assumed the Bank would not instruct her to sell illegal products. Of course suggested this defence.She would have saved herself 1.2m political isolation as it would have been forgotten within weeks.

All she achieved has been to let the courts decide she sold products to evade tax. :rolleyes: