PDA

View Full Version : zip drives and itvip

mouldymurphy
11/03/2003, 6:25 PM
anyone have a zip drive thinking of getting one to download stuff at college and work so id be able to transfer to my home computer

and a friend in work was on about an internet deal from itvip for 30 a month is there anyone connected to this and is it worth it

joe
11/03/2003, 7:52 PM
i'm thinking of getting one of those usb-storage yokies that you can just put on your key-ring, but i haven't had a chance to check them out properly yet.

patsh
12/03/2003, 9:39 AM
Originally posted by mouldymurphy
anyone have a zip drive thinking of getting one to download stuff at college and work so id be able to transfer to my home computer

and a friend in work was on about an internet deal from itvip for 30 a month is there anyone connected to this and is it worth it
Well I was on to the utvip people. You have to switch to their telephony services as well to get the internet deal. I'm not sure it is really worth it, but I'm trying to work out prices.

pete
12/03/2003, 9:40 AM
Originally posted by joe
i'm thinking of getting one of those usb-storage yokies that you can just put on your key-ring, but i haven't had a chance to check them out properly yet.

Thought about a USB token myself before but never looked into properly. Would think they a lot handier than zip drives as can use on any PC as well as coming in various sizes...

DrogMan
12/03/2003, 10:38 AM
I have the UTVip deal and I must say it is a brilliant service. €30 a month for 150 hours. I just use an ordinary dial up connection on the phone line and I'm getting speeds of 115,000bps...which is super!!
Also you sign up for the telephony service and I have saved over €100 on the phone bill.

So I would very much recommend this service as it is excellent ;)

dahamsta
12/03/2003, 1:54 PM
I have a 250MB external Zip drive with USB adaptor, 17 x 100MB Zip disks, and 1 x 250MB disk. I'm not entirely sure how much that's worth, but I do know that the disks are worth as much as the drive at this stage. The USB adaptor wasn't cheap either. Do a little research on Amazon and eBay and make me an offer I can't refuse.

I find UTVip excellent. My phone bill came down to about €200 this month, which seems pretty nasty unless you see my phone bills, which used to average a lot more -- plus that includes a months prepayment, and it's not for a full month. UTV also have an excellent reputation, and are the only ISP to have the guts to come on the IrelandOffline forum to discuss the product with IrelandOffline members. The Chief Executive and the Technical Director, no less, and they adjusted the product based on our feedback.

UTV is the /only/ ISP I recommend, and I take that quite seriously.

adam

pete
12/03/2003, 3:47 PM
Originally posted by Vetinari
My phone bill came down to about €200 this month, which seems pretty nasty unless you see my phone bills, which used to average a lot more...

Hench the Profile location "The Internet"

:D

James
13/03/2003, 9:05 AM
mouldymurphy
watch out that some / most colleges have firewalls and most/all of the public access college computers dont allow you to install software / hardware... i know this is the case in UCC anyways ..not sure about the rtc

Badweather Fan
13/03/2003, 9:07 AM
Sure the Rtc would be delighted with anything they could get.:D :cool:

mouldymurphy
13/03/2003, 12:07 PM
im in cit and i figured out how to download music and stuff but cant get it on to mini disc because i cant put the programe on to the computer so if i had a zip drive i could save it on a disc and transfer it to the pc i have at home

dahamsta
13/03/2003, 6:31 PM
If you need further convincing, here's another example of UTVi's progressive customer service regime:

http://boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87118

Scott Taunton is the Chief Executive of UTVi. FRIACO is "Flat Rate Internet Access Call Origination", i.e. a 24 hour flat-rate service.

adam

James
14/03/2003, 7:18 AM
Originally posted by mouldymurphy
im in cit and i figured out how to download music and stuff but cant get it on to mini disc because i cant put the programe on to the computer so if i had a zip drive i could save it on a disc and transfer it to the pc i have at home

yee thats what i thought, but dont u have to install the zip-drive onto the computers out in the rtc also.. if its blocked for installing one piece of software surely it aint gona let you install a zip-drive
unless of course the rtc computers have zip drives attached :)

there is a way of recording onto mini-disc though it is slow to transfer on minidisc
download onto local harddrive. ..then attach a normal jack cable from the sound card of the computer to the input thingy on the md and record away mad
slow in that it takes as long as a song last's to record it ..but if u online / by a computer all day then u can get a fair bit recorded

joe
14/03/2003, 7:20 AM
Originally posted by James

unless of course the rtc computers have zip drives attached :)

which they do

James
14/03/2003, 7:32 AM
nice wan, dats pure deacent like
do the ppl out there in the rtc know how to use them then ....i guess is the only other obsticle :D

*fuppin cheap ucc bastads aint got them..what goods a flat screen monitor when u want to pirate music like :D*

Ref
14/03/2003, 2:50 PM
james, its CIT not rtc. don't make that 'mistake' again.

:cool:

SÓC
14/03/2003, 3:07 PM
mouldymurphy
watch out that some / most colleges have firewalls and most/all of the public access college computers dont allow you to install software / hardware... i know this is the case in UCC anyways ..not sure about the rtc
I think there might be ways around that James, especially using the D:\Home directory on the UCC computer for software anyway(network games of CM4) :D. Ive seen lads plug in MP3 players so I assume there must be some way around installing hardware in UCC, dont have a clue how tho'!

It is very annoying to have the bandwith and not be able to put it to use without zip drives.

James
14/03/2003, 3:24 PM
of course there are ways around in Socccfc
as for the d:\home directory thing.. that only stores files basically on a temp basis, once anyone / guest logs out the D: drive is cleared

as for installing cm4 well i dont think normal users can nor should be able to :D, cause its a bitch cleaning up all the machines once ppl start messing with them like ..

anyway soc dont u get fast and free net access and free printing what u complaining about, and an excellant computer centre helpdesk to support ya ;)

Ref
14/03/2003, 3:39 PM
theres no free printing in CIT.

:mad:

SÓC
14/03/2003, 6:48 PM
of course there are ways around in Socccfc
as for the d:\home directory thing.. that only stores files basically on a temp basis, once anyone / guest logs out the D: drive is cleared

Naw the D:\Home doesnt get wipped, at least in the Law Labs and the FSB Labs not sure about the Boole ones. Usually after a week or so they are cleared but sometimes not at all

as for installing cm4 well i dont think normal users can nor should be able to :D, cause its a bitch cleaning up all the machines once ppl start messing with them like ..
Yea couldnt get CM4 to work! I have managed to install a fair few things tho like an Irish Spell Checker.

anyway soc dont u get fast and free net access and free printing what u complaining about, and an excellant computer centre helpdesk to support ya ;)

Not complaining about that :)

mouldymurphy
15/03/2003, 12:18 AM
thanks for all the help .ill try that jack thing next week out there and see if it works.