PDA

View Full Version : Changing the radio in a car

paul_oshea
25/06/2007, 9:47 AM
is it difficult? anyone ever done it? can anyone do it or do you need a mechanic to do it?

Terry
25/06/2007, 9:55 AM
just take it out and and disconnect the connectors attaching the ariel an electrical cables and reconnect them to the new radio.

paul_oshea
25/06/2007, 10:07 AM
so what part of the radio is the expensive part, the front part that can be removed and put back easily, or the bit that the front part connects into? the front part is working fine, and i would like to use it with a new back part as id say thats the problem....is it possible to keep the front part and get a new back part for that?

The thing is the back part has been pushed right in, how do I pull it out and get at the back of it, so that i can reconnect to a new radio?

Ash
25/06/2007, 12:09 PM
Similar predicament, know bugger about these things so any advice appreciated.
Front part that clips out has a totally faded display so cant see the tuning etc,
plus the tape deck gets jammed so if I play a tape it wont eject.

Have to take off the front panel and jam a biro into the ejector ... which is a
bit awkard when driving ;)

Car is a 97 Starlet and the only thing in lines with souping it up is that I added
a little air freshener in the shape of a football :)

paul_oshea
25/06/2007, 12:17 PM
ash, that last line sounds just the same as meself, mine wasnt so fancy as just a tree air freshner :D

anto1208
25/06/2007, 12:40 PM
YOur the right handy man are nt you :p

Best bet is to take it to halfords they have people in there that put in a new stereo's for you when you buy it , ask them they ll go through all the options etc with you and can change it out for you .

Have nt changed mine but have taken it out a few times when i needed to get in behind it , its as simple as unplugging it . think mine had 3 wires arial power and cd changer

paul_oshea
25/06/2007, 12:50 PM
how do you take it out though? i mean mine is pushing its way back in rather than coming out! how can u tell if its the front or back thats faulty? i reckon its the chip that connects the two together thats fecked

beautifulrock
25/06/2007, 12:54 PM
there should be clips on the side, you usually need to slide a screwdriver down the side and press inwards to eject it. My record is actually 12 seconds but a neighbour was able to do in 6 seconds from getting the door opened :))

dublinred
25/06/2007, 12:56 PM
You need a set of pins to take the radio out alternivately use a metal coat hanger to make 2 U shaped objects then insert both into the holes at the side of the radio/or underneath face of radio and then the unit should slide out then disconnect the power and audio cables fairly easy as most radios have got a standardised cable set kinda like a scart lead now.

paul_oshea
25/06/2007, 12:57 PM
eject it.

the radio or tape?

s-side hoop
25/06/2007, 1:00 PM
go to argos and buy a completely new stereo! they are a piece of **** to replace.

beautifulrock
25/06/2007, 1:04 PM
paul, you are going to make a jack of it.....go to Halfords on the A10, they will remove and fit.

paul_oshea
25/06/2007, 1:06 PM
right cheers rock, im not that far from there sometimes. though its jacked already so you can only make it better surely....or maybe not :D

atfconline
26/06/2007, 8:45 AM
Car is a 97 Starlet and the only thing in lines with souping it up is that I addeda little air freshener in the shape of a football :)

You mean you didn't buy an Athlone Town Kit air freshener!? How did that happen!

Ash
26/06/2007, 1:08 PM
You mean you didn't buy an Athlone Town Kit air freshener!? How did that happen!

Have one as well but unfortunately the stink of it is woeful!
Put it into her car instead :)