PDA

View Full Version : this better supporter.....

Xlex
11/03/2003, 9:59 AM
I am a better supporter than you...

Myself, Macy and the Longford support have come across this arguement more than anyone else... Each week someone has to accuse another supporter, on our official site, of being a fair weather supporter...

I am a Johnny come lately supporter, my second Town game has coincided with Longford's promotion season and a fondness of Buckfast, I have been to a Bohs game years ago because I knew al about Dayler and I had a thing about the Bohs who played there...

Nevertheless, I am fairly enthusastic about my support and those who stand with me at games can't get me to shut up about this and about that... I'm only a supporter a short time, but I'm hooked...

Now, I hear the "Town" supporters slate, the Johnny come lately, even though he isn't and even if he was his points were valid...

Around the time of the cup final the mud was being slung at the "fresh supporters" some people believe Longford would be better off with the original 50 people who watched the town 5 years ago...

The thing is...

Are Eircom League supporters in danger of displaying a sense of arrogance because of being

a) the better football supporter with superior knowledge because of a constant attendance at live football
b) the "I'm a better supporter than you" because [insert some rubbish here]...

Now one way or the other, I had to discover the eL, some paper coverage, some T.V. coverage, I knew about Bohs, Rovers, Shels, Derry and Cork... I didn't consider Longford to be in that League... I discovered Longford when we beat St. Patrick's Athletic 4-2... three years ago... To all who don't support the eL, it's them who miss out in the long run... they haven't discovered what true gem it is...

Xlex
11/03/2003, 10:03 AM
Colm, please correct the spelling on that poll....

Macy
11/03/2003, 10:10 AM
Yes, definitely... but I'd say that it could be more restricted to clubs like ours that has grown considerably in a short space of time, rather than clubs that have in fact found their support to be falling...

Nevertheless, I am fairly enthusastic about my support and those who stand with me at games can't get me to shut up about this and about that
You just don't shut - discussions like you try to have are for the pub post match - a sign of a part timer, not knowing when to watch and when to talk... ;)

Xlex
11/03/2003, 10:25 AM
Originally posted by Macy
the pub post match

Kildare County on Saturday... fancy it??

Macy
11/03/2003, 11:51 AM
Originally posted by Xlex
Kildare County on Saturday... fancy it??
Typical Johnny come lately..... I'll be in Flancare watching Town vs Home Farm.... :)

EireBadBoy
11/03/2003, 3:15 PM
I'm a bit of a 'Johnny come lately' meself (about 4 Years) to the EL but no-one has ever felt it necessary to slag me, thankfully.
As far as I'm concerned the more EL fan's we have the better, no matter when they start supporting their Local Team, as long as they do.

Shed End John
11/03/2003, 4:08 PM
Definitely yes. On the other hand, we're ALL a little arrogant sometimes. I've been a City fan for 12.5 years, but, I wouldn't get on someone's case just because they weren't a fan as long as me. If they want to, and as long as they're paying their money in, fine by me. Clubs here need as much support as they can get.

Badweather Fan
11/03/2003, 7:03 PM
As i said in another forum, the arrogance is in this "how can you possibly 'support' a team from another country tripe?"
Not sure if that answers the question but i'm still voting Yes cos i think its a problem.

Xlex
12/03/2003, 8:27 AM
Originally posted by Badweather Fan
i think its a problem.

yes it's a problem, if I had known I'd encounter such sh|t, I' might not have bothered...

Another thing we get, abuse about the level of our contribution towards the town, we stand in the terrace and it's €2 less...

Gary
12/03/2003, 10:47 AM
Its a whole load of bollo)( that certain people think they are better than others because

a) They go to more away games than you

b)they pretend to know some players?

c)they pretend not to know anythingh about any foreign teams

most hardcore eL fans are utter tossers IMO, now is say most, not ALL.

UCD_4_Life
12/03/2003, 5:10 PM
How does knowing more about foreign clubs make you a worse fan?

I follow England, Scotland, France, Spain, Germany, Italy, Holland and a few other leagues. If anything it makes me a better football fan than if I didn't.