PDA

View Full Version : sligo 2 ucd 0

Pages : [1] 2

mcglinchey
22/06/2007, 9:53 PM
what can you say about that performance,sammo was like a brick wall,the ball just kept bouncing off him,gregg needs to go back to basics,he cant kick snow off a rope,in fairness to mcfaul he played some good football but he needs to grow some testicles and start putting a few tackles in. A shocking performance from us overall. nothing really went our way. They havent beaten us in the league in over 20 years. A terrible way to loose the record.

gustavo
22/06/2007, 10:00 PM
what can you say about that performance,sammo was like a brick wall,the ball just kept bouncing off him,gregg needs to go back to basics,he cant kick snow off a rope,in fairness to mcfaul he played some good football but he needs to grow some testicles and start putting a few tackles in. A shocking performance from us overall. nothing really went our way. They havent beaten us in the league in over 20 years. A terrible way to loose the record.

except for that other time this season when we beat you:) I presume you meant in Belfield

REDdecky
22/06/2007, 10:01 PM
thats in yer home ground!!belfield

Red4Eva
22/06/2007, 10:02 PM
our goals good?i called some1 after we went 2 up and he said we weren't playin great.radio 1 said ye were pumping it up to sammon&gettin nowhere whereas we were playin football.goals sounded great

DocRovers
22/06/2007, 10:16 PM
Pretty tight & even. We picked it up earlier in second half & our first goal was a lovely interchange to put Hughsie thro. Great finish past the keeper for a long awaited first of the season - that changed the game. They had to push on & Judge had a clear run in from the half way line, lovely cool finish rounded goalie & retreating defender. But we lived too dangerously.

DmanDmythDledge
22/06/2007, 11:17 PM
We had more possession but that was probably down to Sligo sitting back after scoring. First half was crap from both teams. Sligo picked up start of second and deservedly scored. We had more chances but if we had swaped keepers we would have won.

pineapple stu
22/06/2007, 11:59 PM
Basically Sligo had about three chances and scored two. We had about six chances and the ball got stuck under Sammo's foot for several of them. That's football. Two evenly-matched teams - although Sligo played much of the second half with ten men behind the ball - but a nasty way to lose our record, in your last trip to Belfield Park.

Your keeper had a good game; made one great save from Paul Byrne late on.

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2007, 12:02 AM
Your keeper had a good game; made one great save from Paul Byrne late on.
And a good few others.

feo123
23/06/2007, 12:23 AM
i think we had more than 3 chances, and you might be a bit OTT with saying ye had 6

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2007, 12:25 AM
i think we had more than 3 chances, and you might be a bit OTT with saying ye had 6
Keeper saved in the very early on, hit the post, missed header at the back post, wide one-one-one, keeper pulled off brilliant save from edge of box twice. There must have been another one (and a few more) but I can't remember

pineapple stu
23/06/2007, 12:27 AM
Hit the post twice in that one chance.

feo123
23/06/2007, 12:29 AM
we were by far the better footballing side. any good football was from us realistically. we were no where near as good as last week mind

pineapple stu
23/06/2007, 12:32 AM
Eh, no. It was an even enough game. Sligo were a neat enough team, but it's a completel fabrication to suggest any good football was from youz.

feo123
23/06/2007, 12:34 AM
nah in fairness it was. ye just got it to the full backs and knocked it into the box. most ye're chances were from set pieces.

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2007, 12:36 AM
most ye're chances were from set pieces.
one

pineapple stu
23/06/2007, 12:54 AM
Are you taking the ****?!

A clinical Sligo side earned their first win in Belfield Park in 21 years against an out of sorts UCD to leapfrog the Students in the league table. UCD had enough chances to take something from the match, but wayward finishing and some excellent keeping from the Sligo keeper saw the points go west.

UCD were unchanged from the side which beat Salthill 4-0 last week, and could have been in front inside five minutes, when a speculative Tony McDonnell shot from the edge of the area was tipped over by Sligo keeper Dick Brush.

In a first half largely devoid of action, UCD did have the ball in the net on 38 minutes, but Derek Doyle's effort after a scramble on the edge of the box was rightly ruled out for offside. And a minute before half time, Conan Byrne finally got the better of Keith Foy to send in a low cross to Paul Byrne, whose shot in turn went right across the face of the goal without getting a final touch.

UCD were dealt an injury blow as the game entered injury time, with Ian Bermingham being stretchered off with concussion after a clash of heads; he is, however, likely to be back for the next league game against Drogheda.

The half time break came at a bad time for UCD, who were finally starting to gain the upper hand in the game, and indeed, just two minutes into the second half, Sligo had the lead when Hughes was plyed through in the box, and he calmly slotted past the advancing Matt Gregg.

The game really opened up after the goal, and two minutes later, Conor Sammon went past his man on the left wing to advance to the edge of the area, but his final shot was weak with Conan Byrne free on the right. And a minute later, Derek Doyle went past a weak challenge in centre mid before drilling in a right footed shot which went just wide. A few minutes later again, it was Sligo's turn to threaten, when Matt Gregg made a superb double stop on the edge of his area.

UCD's best chance of an equaliser came on 64 minutes, when Shane McFaul tried his luck from the edge of the area, only to see his shot come off the post, rebound off the keeper's head and onto the post again before dropping onto the line and ultimately being cleared. McFaul was shortly after on the end of an Alan Mahon cross but headed just wide, while from a Paul Crowley ball, Conan Byrne chested down to Conor Sammon, but the ball got stuck under the striker's foot, and Brush was out to collect.

At this stage, Sligo were cnotent to pull numbers back in defence and hit on the counter, and disaster hit the home side with a quarter of an hour remaining, when a long ball forward was headed backwards by Tony McDonnell, and Matthew Judge gleefully ran on unopposed to round Matt Gregg and slot home.

In UCD's last three home games, they had come from behind to seal a point, and they certainly lacked no little confidence as they set about a seemingly impossible task. Brush produced a superb full stretch save from Paul Byrne as the game neared injury time, while from the corner, Alan McNally headed just over. At this stage, however, it was looking all over for the hosts, and when Tony McDonnell headed over from a yard out - albeit stretching to reach Conan Byrne's cross - all that was left was for Sligo to play down the clock.

UCD - Gregg; Mahon, Bermingham (Crowley 44), Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, C Byrne, Doyle (Purcell 75), McFaul; Sammon (Fitzgerald), P Byrne. Subs not used - Quigley, Bolger.

Att - 340

dublinred
23/06/2007, 1:15 AM
Are you taking the ****?!

A clinical Sligo side earned their first win in Belfield Park in 21 years against an out of sorts UCD to leapfrog the Students in the league table. UCD had enough chances to take something from the match, but wayward finishing and some excellent keeping from the Sligo keeper saw the points go west.

UCD were unchanged from the side which beat Salthill 4-0 last week, and could have been in front inside five minutes, when a speculative Tony McDonnell shot from the edge of the area was tipped over by Sligo keeper Dick Brush.

In a first half largely devoid of action, UCD did have the ball in the net on 38 minutes, but Derek Doyle's effort after a scramble on the edge of the box was rightly ruled out for offside. And a minute before half time, Conan Byrne finally got the better of Keith Foy to send in a low cross to Paul Byrne, whose shot in turn went right across the face of the goal without getting a final touch.

UCD were dealt an injury blow as the game entered injury time, with Ian Bermingham being stretchered off with concussion after a clash of heads; he is, however, likely to be back for the next league game against Drogheda.

The half time break came at a bad time for UCD, who were finally starting to gain the upper hand in the game, and indeed, just two minutes into the second half, Sligo had the lead when Hughes was plyed through in the box, and he calmly slotted past the advancing Matt Gregg.

The game really opened up after the goal, and two minutes later, Conor Sammon went past his man on the left wing to advance to the edge of the area, but his final shot was weak with Conan Byrne free on the right. And a minute later, Derek Doyle went past a weak challenge in centre mid before drilling in a right footed shot which went just wide. A few minutes later again, it was Sligo's turn to threaten, when Matt Gregg made a superb double stop on the edge of his area.

UCD's best chance of an equaliser came on 64 minutes, when Shane McFaul tried his luck from the edge of the area, only to see his shot come off the post, rebound off the keeper's head and onto the post again before dropping onto the line and ultimately being cleared. McFaul was shortly after on the end of an Alan Mahon cross but headed just wide, while from a Paul Crowley ball, Conan Byrne chested down to Conor Sammon, but the ball got stuck under the striker's foot, and Brush was out to collect.

At this stage, Sligo were cnotent to pull numbers back in defence and hit on the counter, and disaster hit the home side with a quarter of an hour remaining, when a long ball forward was headed backwards by Tony McDonnell, and Matthew Judge gleefully ran on unopposed to round Matt Gregg and slot home.

In UCD's last three home games, they had come from behind to seal a point, and they certainly lacked no little confidence as they set about a seemingly impossible task. Brush produced a superb full stretch save from Paul Byrne as the game neared injury time, while from the corner, Alan McNally headed just over. At this stage, however, it was looking all over for the hosts, and when Tony McDonnell headed over from a yard out - albeit stretching to reach Conan Byrne's cross - all that was left was for Sligo to play down the clock.

UCD - Gregg; Mahon, Bermingham (Crowley 44), Kenna, McNally; McDonnell, C Byrne, Doyle (Purcell 75), McFaul; Sammon (Fitzgerald), P Byrne. Subs not used - Quigley, Bolger.

Att - 340

Don't know what game you were at but foy didn't play the first half also wasn,t 340 there.

red bellied
23/06/2007, 1:17 AM
Foy didnt come on till the last 20 minutes.

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2007, 1:27 AM
Foy didnt come on till the last 20 minutes.
I was wondering why how he had lost so much weight how his replacement was fatter than him.

Whoever it was that started was the spitting image of him.

red bellied
23/06/2007, 1:29 AM
I was wondering why how he had lost so much weight how his replacement was fatter than him.

Whoever it was that started was the spitting image of him.

Doubt it, Kelly is ginger.

DmanDmythDledge
23/06/2007, 1:30 AM
Doubt it, Kelly is ginger.
Whoever was left back definitely wasn't ginger, or at least not through my eyes.

CollegeTillIDie
23/06/2007, 9:44 AM
After last night's performance the name of the club through history should be like so

1895 Catholic University Medical School Association Football Club
1908 University College Dublin Association Football Club
1997 University College Dublin, National University of Ireland - Dublin Association Football Club
2005 UCD Dublin Association Football Club
H v Sligo 22 June 2007 Couldn't Score in A Brothel Football Club? :D

DocRovers
23/06/2007, 9:53 AM
We got the ball down & played. You huffed & puffed. You won the heading competition & little else. The best move of the game produced our first goal & I thought you guys showed no composure at all. Sammon was very disappointing & you did'nt get round the back of us at all - you went for the high ball every time. I also thought the Ref was very poor & certainly did'nt give us much.

Colie
23/06/2007, 11:07 AM
And that's why we still have Sammo & Paul Byrne.

pineapple stu
23/06/2007, 11:15 AM
Don't know what game you were at but foy didn't play the first half also wasn,t 340 there.
Really? There's two players as fat as him?

And there were 340 there, as counted by schumi. Looked about right to me.

sligoman
23/06/2007, 11:55 AM
gregg needs to go back to basics,he cant kick snow off a ropeAs the teams came out at half time, I offered Gregg a fiver if he let a goal in. Job done, cheque is in the post Matt;).

And there were 340 there, as counted by schumi. Looked about right to me.Do ye actually count the attandance for every game? FFS would you not watch the match like? A bit odd how it came to an exact 340 too.

pineapple stu
23/06/2007, 12:03 PM
A bit odd how it came to an exact 340 too.
Not really. One in ten chance. Also, it may have been 34x. The x is irrelevant really.

sligoman
23/06/2007, 12:11 PM
Who was Rae spying on btw? Sammon?

Schumi
23/06/2007, 12:36 PM
A bit odd how it came to an exact 340 too.
It didn't. I rounded it to the nearest 10 as the counting process is obviously not precise.

sligoman
23/06/2007, 12:38 PM
Surprised(with this being a UCD forum and all) that the thread title hasn't been corrected. No capitals and also has us as the home team;).

Schumi
23/06/2007, 12:48 PM
Surprised(with this being a UCD forum and all) that the thread title hasn't been corrected. No capitals and also has us as the home team;).It looks like we still haven't lost to you at home this way. ;)

Burnsie
23/06/2007, 2:39 PM
sounds like not a great deal has changed during the time i've been in asia (the 2-2 thriller against pat's was my last home game).

this time last year sammo was being very favourably mentioned by fans of the country's top clubs - the cork lads in particular were very impressed with him as i recall ... shame he hasn't managed to add a bit more guile to his game.

pineapple stu
23/06/2007, 4:22 PM
For what it's worth, the Irish Times' match report pretty much agrees with mine - we had more of the play, but Sligo were clinical with their chances. Notes we were stronger in particular as half time approached, and for the spell before Sligo's second.

Schumi
23/06/2007, 4:37 PM
Notes we were stronger... for the spell before Sligo's second.Which led to their goal unfortunately.

pineapple stu
23/06/2007, 4:41 PM
Yep. Clinical counter attack, it has to be said.

mcglinchey
24/06/2007, 9:13 PM
Yep. Clinical counter attack, it has to be said.

lads is there any chance we can get back on point here and stop complementing a team we should have beaten 2/3 nil. we were crap. couldnt finish our dinner. mcdonnell and mcnally running into each other for the second goal. JOKE

sligoman
24/06/2007, 10:08 PM
lads is there any chance we can get back on point here and stop complementing a team we should have beaten 2/3 nilNo, because that's simply not true.

mcglinchey
24/06/2007, 10:32 PM
No, because that's simply not true.

it is very true,our record over you lot speaks for itself. we are the better team.and we'l prove it over the duration of the season

sligoman
24/06/2007, 10:34 PM
it is very true,our record over you lot speaks for itself. we are the better team.and we'l prove it over the duration of the seasonStop going on the past! We have a better manager than last season. We've also taken 6 points from 6 off ye this season so it's safe to say ye can't prove that ye are better than us over the season cos there's only one more game left! Maybe next year:p

DmanDmythDledge
24/06/2007, 10:40 PM
it is very true,our record over you lot speaks for itself. we are the better team.and we'l prove it over the duration of the season
If Cook hadn't taken over that would have happened. I don't know why you were expecting a big win against a team that had just beaten Bohs and Shamrock.

mcglinchey
24/06/2007, 10:41 PM
Stop going on the past! We have a better manager than last season. We've also taken 6 points from 6 off ye this season so it's safe to say ye can't prove that ye are better than us over the season cos there's only one more game left! Maybe next year:p

wel see who finishes higher in the table.

sligoman
24/06/2007, 10:45 PM
wel see who finishes higher in the table.Like last season?

feo123
24/06/2007, 10:50 PM
wel see who finishes higher in the table.

newcomers :rolleyes:

Titan
25/06/2007, 9:58 AM
Where are you getting 340 from?

The official attendance (the only one that matters) is 443.

I texted Pineapple that on Friday.

If you lot dont stop spreading scurrillous rumours I'll have to tell on you:D

DmanDmythDledge
25/06/2007, 11:01 PM
Just saw the highlights on eL weekly. Poor defending for the first goal (but don't want to take credit away from Sligo, it was a good move). If Tony Mc was still in midfield I doubt Hughes would have been allowed to run through.

Good to see the Sligo manager admit it wasn't a fair result.

Also TV3 weekly refered to Richard Byrne, Matt Cregg, got Derek Doyle and Shane McFaul mixed up and had Pete McMahon on the screen when Pete was being interviewed.

laqx2ZxzMQk

pineapple stu
26/06/2007, 6:34 PM
Awful awful stuff from those morons in TV3.

Nice to see Paul Cook was actually watching the game, unlike most Sligo fans.

Poor Student
26/06/2007, 6:42 PM
The highlights pretty much show what was said here, a generous amount of UCD chances not executed and a few chances executed well by Sligo. The move for Sligo's first goal was top quality and their second was well taken but it's disappointing to see Kenna wrong footed after tacking back well into a perfect blocking position. It's relieving to know our "goal" was well offside and the linesman and ref were well alert to it before it hit the net. Fair play to Cook for his honesty.

John83
26/06/2007, 6:52 PM
...it's disappointing to see Kenna wrong footed after tacking back well into a perfect blocking position...
I honestly thought we'd escaped when I saw him get there. :(

DmanDmythDledge
26/06/2007, 8:18 PM
Actually he does not admit that all, he says he does not know if it was an unfair result my reading into that is that he does not rub your noses in it. Best team won lads take your beating like men. ;)
He was clearly sitting on the fence and it was obvious what he meant, he didn't want to dis-hearten his players by saying they got lucky in public.

DmanDmythDledge
26/06/2007, 8:57 PM
Oh he is clearly sitting on the fence now ! lol he was clearly doing something else in your last post admiting something i do believe ! :D
If you take what he said word for word he is sitting on the fence. It's clearly obvious what he really means.