PDA

View Full Version : Come on home Dominic Foley

Pages : [1] 2

Pablo
11/03/2003, 8:39 AM
Foley ends Shrimpers loan spell

Misfiring former Irish international striker Dominic Foley has completed his loan spell at Southend United – after failing to find the net ONCE for the struggling Shrimpers.

Foley has returned to FA Cup semi-finalists Watford, but he will not be expecting to break into the side for a big clash with Premiership side Southampton in the last four of that competition.

The Corkman last played for the Hornets at Christmas, and hasn’t notched a single goal since scoring in a victory over Rotherham United way back at the beginning of November.

He has been linked with a return to the eircom League with Bohemians and Cork City, and with his contract expiring at the end of the season, he could be signed on a free transfer in the summer.

Southend manager Rob Newman said: “Dominic came here for a month and he showed glimpses of what he’s capable of. But he’s returned to Watford now – his contract is up at the end of the season and he’s trying to get himself sorted out.”

Pablo
11/03/2003, 8:40 AM
that would be a great signing. perfect foil for Flynny

fonzi
11/03/2003, 8:45 AM
i agree.
good singning.
even as backup.

NorthoftheLee
11/03/2003, 9:35 AM
I think he would be a great signing....our very own international..:)
He has experience and could be the poacher to compliment Johnny perfectly......

pete
11/03/2003, 9:36 AM
Originally posted by Pablo
Misfiring former Irish international striker Dominic Foley has completed his loan spell at Southend United – after failing to find the net ONCE for the struggling Shrimpers.

The Corkman last played for the Hornets at Christmas, and hasn’t notched a single goal since scoring in a victory over Rotherham United way back at the beginning of November.

...And this makes him a perfect signing why...?

:confused:

dalo
11/03/2003, 10:44 AM
¨sorry lads to shatter your dreams but dominic foley is a pretty dismal player. every club he has pplayed with he has been rubbish and if anyone saw play in lansdowne road will know what i mean. if he stinks at rotherham chances are he will stink at city

he might be the hottest footballer to come out of charleville but believe me that ain´t saying much.

he has a great looking old doll though

eoinh
11/03/2003, 11:07 AM
Foley ends Shrimpers loan spell

Southend manager Rob Newman said: “Dominic came here for a month and he showed glimpses of what he’s capable of. But he’s returned to Watford now – his contract is up at the end of the season and he’s trying to get himself sorted out.”

That sounds like he might be going back to southend at the end of the season.

Still, if he got the right break yould never no what might happen with him. He cant be that bad.
IF you had read about John O'Flynn before he came to City he would have sounded worse! ;)

niamh
11/03/2003, 12:18 PM
The new Dublin Daily News has Bohs interested in signing him.

b_mcsweeney
11/03/2003, 1:20 PM
foley was very impressive when he played for ireland in the US cup thing in america in 2000. scored a couple of goals and looked capable of leading the line.

gael353
11/03/2003, 1:57 PM
home for Foley would be Limeick lads me thinks. hes from the one tenth area of rath luirc and went to scholl in kilfinnan in Co Limerick so yea come on home foley to Limerick and partner stevo up front.

Pablo
11/03/2003, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by gael353
home for Foley would be Limeick lads me thinks. hes from the one tenth area of rath luirc and went to scholl in kilfinnan in Co Limerick so yea come on home foley to Limerick and partner stevo up front.

he's from Charleville i belive. why would he want to play for Limerick anyway? Ye are an embarisment

A face
11/03/2003, 2:43 PM

Originally posted by pete
...And this makes him a perfect signing why...?

:confused:

Aah .... it doesn't :rolleyes:

dalo
11/03/2003, 3:01 PM
he's from Charleville i belive. why would he want to play for Limerick anyway? Ye are an embarisment

rathluirc is charleville.

the missus is from charleville so from a novelty point of view she would be delighted to see him play.

i think the guy will either be a noel hartigan or tommy gaynor, or even worse a george o´callaghan

Neil
11/03/2003, 3:29 PM
Originally posted by dalo
¨sorry lads to shatter your dreams but dominic foley is a pretty dismal player.
Do you ever have anything positive to say?
Foley hasn't played for Ireland 6 times for nothing. He's played most of his football in the English First Division which isint that bad a level.

NorthoftheLee
11/03/2003, 3:38 PM
i think the guy will either be a noel hartigan or tommy gaynor, or even worse a george o´callaghan

gwonya****** dalo......... you are the most negative person I know,.....are you ever happy boy??? Foley has played & scored in the premiership & 1st division. He has had a lot of injuries which have hampered his career. He may regain confidence in the eL and I personnaly think he would be worth a risk.

As for the GOC comment, what have you against george. the man was played out of position for most of last season, chipped in with some very important goals and was outstanding in a lot of games. He was inconsistent i know, but it was his first season in the eL.

boy you need to go and get laid or something and learn to appreciate the good things in life. :mad:

dalo
11/03/2003, 3:39 PM
Originally posted by Neil
Do you ever have anything positive to say?
Foley hasn't played for Ireland 6 times for nothing. He's played most of his football in the English First Division which isint that bad a level.

this is coming from people who always droned on about gunther:D what was so postive about them? now they are all undergoing a pauline conversation!!!!!

course i have something postive to say - just show me something that makes foley so good.

6 ireland caps? i saw him play 2/3 times in lansdowne road and it was poor to say the least. his record in english football is equally poor to say (the man spends his time warming the bench) and given the history of english based players here, it hardly inspires confidence.

it wouldn't surprise me if the lad thought playing for city was a "cushy" number. as I say he could be great but if you look at the likes of george and gaynor my reservations are justified.

also i think liam kearney and joe gamble could be better bets- thses guys would be hungrier for first team football. foley has only known failure

Colm
11/03/2003, 3:40 PM
I think he would be a good signing. He can't be that bad, he has played and scored for Ireland a number of times and if you go back about 2 seasons he was scoring all around him for Watford in Division 1. Comparing him to Noel Hartigan is just stupid.

dalo
11/03/2003, 3:43 PM
Originally posted by Colm
. Comparing him to Noel Hartigan is just stupid.

the ultimate insult for any player:D

sadloserkid
11/03/2003, 3:48 PM
an embarisment

Limerick are a what??? :confused:

And Foley is poor, if it was David Connolly I'd say something but Foley should never have been capped,

Shed End John
11/03/2003, 4:33 PM
Originally posted by NorthoftheLee
boy you need to go and get laid or something and learn to appreciate the good things in life. :mad:

:D :D :D :D

Badweather Fan
11/03/2003, 6:45 PM
Originally posted by fonzi
i agree.
good singning.
even as backup.
:D :D :D
Think he'd love that.
Have we a more comfy bench than Watford?

gael353
11/03/2003, 7:05 PM
i belive rath lurc is the irish for charleville. and its on the border of cork/limerick 9/10ths cork 1/10 Limerick. we have won 5 bits of national silverwear in the last 20 years, not bad for a disgraceful team. Amm whats city's count during the same period?

Citymark
11/03/2003, 9:15 PM
Personally I think he could be a good signing, but I have 1 reservation, how much would he cost?
I know he's available on a 'free' but what would his salary be?
Would he want to drop from £3-£5K a week to whatever we could afford? 2,000 euro a week (if that?).
Don't think he would

Badweather Fan
11/03/2003, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by Citymark
Would he want to drop from £3-£5K a week to whatever we could afford? 2,000 euro a week (if that?).
Probably not even that.
And that'd be dangerous too cos it'd set a precedent that the likes of O Flynn would deseve.
However, if he had an outstanding first season(eL top scorer) we could make a huge profit selling him on.

dalo
12/03/2003, 8:08 AM
Originally posted by SCOTTY II
Dalo ur full of ****! Foley played 4 times in the US cup and scored twice played once again away and once and once at home....so u didnt see him 2/3 times!

Come back Dom we need u!

ok ok so I proabably saw him once or twice' he hardly is a playe4r I be watching out for. anyway he was crap

TheNorthsider
12/03/2003, 10:03 AM
foley is on £700 a week

Badweather Fan
12/03/2003, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by THENORTHSIDER
foley is on £700 a week
Ideal

Gary
12/03/2003, 12:10 PM
Originally posted by dalo
ok ok so I proabably saw him once or twice' he hardly is a playe4r I be watching out for. anyway he was crap

Do you actually like anyone Dalo.

From someone who professes to be Mr Positiveity, you seem to be bitching about everyone and everything at the moment.

Foley would be a good signing IMO.

patsh
12/03/2003, 1:01 PM
foley is on £700 a week
Which works out at €1,024.99.....;)
How many players can City afford @ thousand yoyos a week?

dalo
12/03/2003, 1:32 PM
Originally posted by GWA
Do you actually like anyone Dalo.

From someone who professes to be Mr Positiveity, you seem to be bitching about everyone and everything at the moment.

Foley would be a good signing IMO.

does my opinion scare you? !!!!!! i hope not it's only a opinion. believe me football is a very minor detail in the greater scheme of things.

as for foley if he signs then of course I wish him well- like george and woods I wish they would play to their full potential - it is upsetting to see them pull the rubbish they got away with last year. i just have my doubts given the past record of some imports that have played with the club- mccabe, hill, bannon and flynn are the excepations. let's hope foley signs and scores 20 league goals!!!!!

no I am a pessimist by nature but any who follows city must have some trace of optimism in their heart:D

pete
12/03/2003, 3:42 PM
Originally posted by oddboy
Which works out at €1,024.99.....;)
How many players can City afford @ thousand yoyos a week?

I'd be surprised if Foley only on £700 a week but whatever he earns he'd have to expecta drop in salary moving down from the english 1st division.

City are already a bit top heavy with forwards this year are they not?

Badweather Fan
12/03/2003, 6:04 PM
Wouldn't call Flynn an import.

Not really.
Grogan will probably be a stop gap measure considering his health.
O'Callaghan is set to go back midfield apparently (absolutely no evidence to back this point up:D) so the only change is Doyle replacing O'Callaghan.

thecorner
12/03/2003, 6:24 PM
he played in u.s. cup. SO WHAT
isnt that the cup keano called a joke of a cup

he has never done anything in his career

even with his experience he would still be only back up for flynny

eoinh
12/03/2003, 6:51 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
he played in u.s. cup. SO WHAT
isnt that the cup keano called a joke of a cup

he has never done anything in his career

even with his experience he would still be only back up for flynny

Thats a bit harsh on Keane ;)

dalo
13/03/2003, 11:04 AM
I'd be surprised if Foley only on £700 a week but whatever he earns he'd have to expecta drop in salary moving down from the english 1st division.

foley is on 2grand sterling a week. i know this because the old doll´s sister is good mates with his sister (they are all from charleville). if city were even to pay him 1,000 euros a week what would he have to do to justify that kind of money? score 60 goals year? hardly possible:D

Schumi
13/03/2003, 1:44 PM
Paying him €1000 a week would be nuts. He hasn't done anything in his career to be worth being the club's (I assume at that money) highest earner.

TheNorthsider
13/03/2003, 2:05 PM
jesus dalo is charleville full of liars or is foley the liar because the guy who told me about foleys money is friends with him so who is fooling who:confused:

dalo
14/03/2003, 7:52 AM
jesus dalo is charleville full of liars or is foley the liar because the guy who told me about foleys money is friends with him so who is fooling who:confused:

ah those north cork people keep all their money under the matress. maybe your mate has a better insight than the girlfriend´s sister - fair enough I take your word for it. either way city would be taking a masssive risk to justify that payment.

i much prefer if dolan chased joe gamble, damien delaney, liam kearney et al.

Dricky
14/03/2003, 8:10 AM
I would agree with Dalo re the money thing, we cannot justify paying over the odds for someone, if Glen Crowe is paid the most (unsure if he is) it is because he has proved himself in the el and work his way up. They cannot expect to live the same footballers life here. We have a great youth system so why bring him in?? Don't know much about the guy but it would be madness to pay the wages we can't afford to pay. There is a buget, spend the extra 1000 a week on 3 apprentices at the club.

Build for the future don't buy for now.

dalo
14/03/2003, 9:29 AM
Originally posted by Dricky
I would agree with Dalo re the money thing, we cannot justify paying over the odds for someone, if Glen Crowe is paid the most (unsure if he is) it is because he has proved himself in the el and work his way up. They cannot expect to live the same footballers life here. We have a great youth system so why bring him in?? Don't know much about the guy but it would be madness to pay the wages we can't afford to pay. There is a buget, spend the extra 1000 a week on 3 apprentices at the club.

Build for the future don't buy for now.

spot on;) see I am not being negative at all just realistic. bedises BL being the good businessman he is is hardly to going to break the bank on a player whose is largely unproven.

if any player should be paid to stay at the club then that would of course be john o´flynn

the only possible trade off I can see is that Foley accepts a regular wage at city and perhaps a promise of a job as well. maybe he can serve up up some batter burgers or work in the club shop selling beanie hats:D

ian
21/03/2003, 1:02 PM
stephen kenny has said in the sun that he is interested in talking to foley.I wonder if the big man is looking in to that one to. it would be good if he could get him to come to city.:cool: :cool:

Badweather Fan
21/03/2003, 2:20 PM
No.
It wouldn't.
And there was a thread already on it.
Merge somebody Merge.

Colm
21/03/2003, 4:07 PM
Yeah, according to the sun yesterday Foley has talked to both ourselves and Bohs. He said he is very impressed by the set up at Bohs and what Stephen Kenny wants to achieve.
He also has had talks with 3 english clubs.

thecorner
22/03/2003, 1:54 AM
was told 2nite hes very close to signing. personally i dont want him. he did **** all but if hes coming back he mite as well come to ccciittttyyyy coz

WE HAVE THE BEST MANAGER IN IRELAND

Neil
22/03/2003, 8:32 AM
Originally posted by thecorner
was told 2nite hes very close to signing.

Told by who???

I think FOLEY would be a great signing, to play alongside Flynny. With CPOB and Doyle as more than capable replacements.

Éanna
22/03/2003, 11:13 AM
Never been a HUGE fan of the guy, but he does have 2 goals in 6 internationals, I think he could probably do a job for us.

Gary
22/03/2003, 12:36 PM
well, according to Spillanes exclusive today, he is waiting for both Bohs and City to make him an offer.

He would definitely be a good signing.

Colm
22/03/2003, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by GWA
well, according to Spillanes exclusive today, he is waiting for both Bohs and City to make him an offer.

He would definitely be a good signing.

Well if it's according to Spillane i'd say it's safe to assume that he won't be signing for either City or Bohs.;) :D

And yes he would be a very good signing. Himself and Flynny would be an awesome strikeforce.

patsh
22/03/2003, 6:29 PM
Originally posted by GWA
well, according to Spillanes exclusive today, ..........
Gee has Noel got another scoop?...:rolleyes:
It's amazing the way he digs up these completely unknown, new stories.
Nothing like a good investagative journalist, eh??

btw, who sent the text to Trevor tonight, basically calling Spillage a plank?;)

Gary
22/03/2003, 7:16 PM
Originally posted by oddboy

btw, who sent the text to Trevor tonight, basically calling Spillage a plank?;)

Funnily enough, that was me!!! Surprised he read it actually.
:)