PDA

View Full Version : Irish Abroad Transfer Signings and Rumours

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

eirebhoy
21/06/2007, 6:55 PM
Hopefully this thread can be kept up to date with all the transfer activity this summer. I think I've missed a few signings already if anyone could post them. I'll edit this post and keep a list.

Paul McShane [West Brom - Sunderland] £2.3m
Lee Trundle [Swansea City - Bristol City] £1m
Paddy McCarthy [Leicester - Charlton] £650,000
Gary Dicker [UCD - Stockport County] £40,000
Mark Yeates [Tottenham - Colchester Utd] Undisclosed Fee
Stephen Elliot [Sunderland - Wolverhampton Wanderers] Undisclosed Fee
Colin Larkin [Chesterfield - Nortampton Town] Bosman
Leon Best [Southamption - Coventry City] Bosman
Richie Partridge [Rotherham - Chester City] Free
Barry Cogan [Barnet - Bradford City] Free
John Thompson [Nottingham Forest - Oldham] Free
JJ Melligan [Cheltenham - Leyton Orient] Free
Barry Corr [Sheffield Wednesday - Swindon Town] Free
Alan O'Brien [Newcastle - Hibernians] Free
Stephen Henderson [Aston Villa - Bristol City] Free
Barry Conlon [Mansfield Town - Nortampton Town] Free
Michael Keane [Rotherham United - St Pats Athletic] Free
Gary Dempsey [Aberdeen - Yeovil Town] Free
Jonathan Hayes [Reading - Leicester City] Free
Sean Thornton [Doncaster Rovers - Leyton Orient] Free
James Hand [Huddersfield Town - Dundalk] Free
Henry McStay [Unattached - Royal Antwerp] Free
Richie Ryan [Unattached - Royal Antwerp] Free
Graham Coughlan [Sheffield Wednesday - Rotherham United] Free
John McAliskey [Huddersfield Town - Mansfield Town] Free
Patrick Kohlmann [Borrusia Dortmund - Rot-Weiß Erfurt] Free
John Fitzgerald [Bury - Galway United] Free
Joe O'Cearuill [Arsenal - Unattached] Released
David Worrell [Rotherham United - Unattached] Released
Alan Kearney [Everton - Unattached] Released
Shaun Maher [Bournemouth - Unattached] Released
Conal Platt [Bournemouth - Unattached] Released
Stephen O'Donnell [Falkirk - Unattached] Released
Fred Murray [Northampton Town - Unattached] Released
Saul Deeney [Notts County - Unattached] End of Contract
Willo Flood [Cardiff - Dundee Utd] Loan
Alan Bennett [Reading - Southampton] Loan
Paul Tierney [Blackpool - Stockport] Loan

Qwerty
21/06/2007, 10:08 PM
Since June 1 this is the list of completed transfers of Irish players in England

Barry Cogan [Barnet - Gillingham] Free

Loan

Willo Flood [Cardiff- Dundee Utd]

cheifo
21/06/2007, 10:50 PM
Nice one.If McShane goes then I would expect that to be biggest transfer fee for an Irish player this year.

eirebhoy
22/06/2007, 6:11 AM
That's great Qwerty.

Hibs4Ever
22/06/2007, 7:08 AM
HIBS BANK ON O'BRIEN

Exclusive Coll eyes wage-busting deal

HIBS want highly-rated Republic of Ireland winger Alan O'Brien.

The Newcastle starlet was at Easter Road yesterday for talks on a move to the SPL.

O'Brien, 22, is out of contract but Hibs will have to pay compensation to the Premiership club if they win the race for his signature because he is under 23. They will also have to break their rigid wage structure to land him.

Hibs have moved quickly in a bid to snap up O'Brien, who assistant boss Tommy Craig knows well from his time at St James' Park.

At least five Championship clubs are interested in the Dubliner, who also has a new offer from Toon boss Sam Allardyce on the table. But O'Brien is looking to progress his career after failing to make the full breakthrough at Newcastle, where he played five games last season.

He is highly rated by the Irish and won his first cap in a friendly against Holland in Dublin last August. He has since gone on to play on four other occasions for his country and made his first start for Steve Staunton's side in a friendly against Bolivia in Boston last month.

O'Brien is predominantly left-sided and his arrival would help quell fan unrest about the imminent departure of Ivan Sproule to Bristol City.

Hibs fans are desperate to see more players arriving at the club to counter the loss of first-team regulars such as Scott Brown and Chris Killen

Bluebeard
22/06/2007, 7:39 AM
HIBS BANK ON O'BRIEN

Exclusive Coll eyes wage-busting deal

HIBS want highly-rated Republic of Ireland winger Alan O'Brien.

The Newcastle starlet was at Easter Road yesterday for talks on a move to the SPL.

Hibs fans are desperate to see more players arriving at the club to counter the loss of first-team regulars such as Scott Brown and Chris Killen

Something wrong in that last sentence - perhaps the placing of the word "desperate" 3 words too early

Hibs4Ever
22/06/2007, 7:44 AM
Something wrong in that last sentence - perhaps the placing of the word "desperate" 3 words too early

What makes you say that?

Hibs4Ever
22/06/2007, 7:53 AM

On 2nd thoughts you may be right, says in Mirror celtic are also interested, so he must be desperate

Dodge
22/06/2007, 8:03 AM
"Wage busting"?

Nice to see Devlin use the "highly rated by the Irish" line when pimping his players...

beautifulrock
22/06/2007, 8:09 AM
"Wage busting"?

Nice to see Devlin use the "highly rated by the Irish" line when pimping his players...

what else you expect HIS agent to say.

OwlsFan
22/06/2007, 8:59 AM

Sturrock must rate Corr since he originally signed him when at Wednesday. He's also trying to sign Graham Coughlan from Wednesday, an other ex-signing of his but Coughlan wants to see out the last year of his contract at Hillsboro (for monetary reasons only I suspect).

youngirish
22/06/2007, 9:10 AM
O'Brien should keep well away from Hibs and see if he can get a move to the Championship if there are seriously 5 clubs interested (which I doubt) though he's pants anyway so in an Ireland sense it doesn't make any difference where he goes. Duff, Hunt, S Quinn, McGeady, Treacy and even Kilbane are all better wingers so I can't see him having much input into the Irish team over the next few years.

The highly rated tag is a joke. I don't know one Irish person who rates him highly bar Staunton.

Stuttgart88
22/06/2007, 10:01 AM
Sturrock must rate Corr since he originally signed him when at Wednesday. He's also trying to sign Graham Coughlan from Wednesday, an other ex-signing of his but Coughlan wants to see out the last year of his contract at Hillsboro (for monetary reasons only I suspect).I recall The Times singling out Corr as being really good in a Swindon game, against Bristol City I think it was.

I listened to the Ireland B vs Scotland B game on BBC Scotland and their commentators singled out O'Brien as being the outstanding performer, in the first half anyway.

Give him time before you finalise judgment. He has phenomenal pace which is important in today's game. His crossing can be wild but he put in a good cross for Long's goal in Boston. A year playing first team football be it at Hibs or The Championship will shed more light on his ability. I think the Devlin connection justifiably attracts cynicism, but I think it may also prejudice opinions.

tetsujin1979
22/06/2007, 10:46 AM
I listened to the Ireland B vs Scotland B game on BBC Scotland and their commentators singled out O'Brien as being the outstanding performer, in the first half anyway.

Give him time before you finalise judgment. He has phenomenal pace which is important in today's game. His crossing can be wild but he put in a good cross for Long's goal in Boston. A year playing first team football be it at Hibs or The Championship will shed more light on his ability. I think the Devlin connection justifiably attracts cynicism, but I think it may also prejudice opinions.

I don't know about that, I was at the B game, and was sitting about half way down the Irish half, I thought Eamanuel was far better than him in the first half, and he only really became effective when he stuck to the touchline, if he tried to come infield, or closer to the defence he was very ineffective. When Hunt came on in the second half, he was far better at beating players, and getting crosses into the box.

I think O'Brien has something to offer, his pace can definitely unsettle opposition defences, but I don't think any manager has yet shown how to get the best out of him.

livehead1
22/06/2007, 2:23 PM
I don't think any manager has yet shown how to get the best out of him.
put him on a hamster wheel and save the environment

eirebhoy
22/06/2007, 2:26 PM
Hibs are probably looking for O'Brien to replace Sproule. I don't know if Celtic's interest is real but their chief scout worked for Newcastle before Strachan appointed him.

DmanDmythDledge
22/06/2007, 2:46 PM
Is this only for transfers within Britain?

eirebhoy
22/06/2007, 3:10 PM
Any single transfer except LOI to LOI.

DmanDmythDledge
22/06/2007, 3:59 PM
Right so.

Gary Dicker [UCD- Stockport County]£40,000

paul_oshea
22/06/2007, 4:42 PM
can i make up a name? im feeling left out :(

Hibs4Ever
25/06/2007, 10:30 AM
SWEET :D:D

http://www.hibs.co.uk/news/more.php?id=2240_0_1_0_C

gustavo
25/06/2007, 10:36 AM
They'll be dancing in the streets of Hibernians tonight!

Stuttgart88
25/06/2007, 11:09 AM
If he fails to shine at Hibernian then we'll know he's not up to much. If he shines then it's a good sign, but obviously he'll need to be tested at a higher level. Interesting move & I hope playing every week develops his skills.

tetsujin1979
25/06/2007, 11:32 AM
Collins has done well as a coach so far (dressing room unrest aside) and Hibs will be in Europe next season, if O'Brien turns out to be a replacement for Sproule, then his pace should be an advantage. Now all he needs to work on is his passing, awareness, positional sense...

bladebhoy
26/06/2007, 12:53 AM
Laurence Gaughan - Liverpool to Celtic

billybunter
26/06/2007, 1:46 AM
Collins has done well as a coach so far (dressing room unrest aside) and Hibs will be in Europe next season, if O'Brien turns out to be a replacement for Sproule, then his pace should be an advantage. Now all he needs to work on is his passing, awareness, positional sense...

...tackling and heading...

Hibs4Ever
26/06/2007, 6:55 AM

...tackling and heading...

If he'd signed for a certain other team in the SPL he'd be Gods gift to football :rolleyes:

RogerMilla
26/06/2007, 7:46 AM
Laurence Gaughan - Liverpool to Celtic

bladebhoy , is he from mayo ? where ? how old is he? did liverpool release him or was a fee paid ?

bladebhoy
26/06/2007, 12:31 PM
bladebhoy , is he from mayo ? where ? how old is he? did liverpool release him or was a fee paid ?

His family is from Mayo , no wasnt released he had a year left at Liverpool who wanted him to stay and earn a pro contract but soon as Celtic came in he wanted to go so I believe Celtic have to pay compensation for him not sure how much though... he is 17 played for Ireland 17s last year.

RogerMilla
26/06/2007, 1:29 PM
very good , i'll keep an eye out for him on celtic TV

tetsujin1979
26/06/2007, 2:35 PM
McShane and Robinson linked with Sunderland, with Elliott going the other way: http://www.football365.com/story/0,17033,8652_2450962,00.html

Paddy Garcia
29/06/2007, 8:28 PM
Best to Coventry

ofjames
02/07/2007, 10:15 AM
It says in the guardian today that Joe O'Cearuill has been released by Arsenal. Is this accurate??? Few other irish in their list also.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2116378,00.html

youngirish
02/07/2007, 10:21 AM
It says in the guardian today that Joe O'Cearuill has been released by Arsenal. Is this accurate??? Few other irish in their list also.

http://football.guardian.co.uk/News_Story/0,,2116378,00.html

I see Johnny Hayes in there also. He hasn't progressed as much as I thought he might at Reading though is still quite young.

tetsujin1979
02/07/2007, 12:08 PM
Alan Kearney at Everton is from Cork, a midfielder.
Was on loan at Chester for a month last season

co. down green
02/07/2007, 9:37 PM
Henry McStay on trial again

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/s/st_mirren/6263438.stm

Qwerty
02/07/2007, 11:49 PM
Joseph O'Cearuill is probably out of Arsenal, he is out of contract as of July 1. Likewise Alan Kearney of Everton.

Closed Account
03/07/2007, 4:25 PM
Hopefully this thread can be kept up to date with all the transfer activity this summer. I think I've missed a few signings already if anyone could post them. I'll edit this post and keep a list.

Barry Cogan [Barnet - Gillingham] Free
Willo Flood [Cardiff - Dundee Utd] Loan
Gary Dicker [UCD - Stockport County] £40,000
Alan O'Brien [Newcastle - Hibernians]Free
28/06/2007 Colin Larkin ST Chesterfield (Eng) Northampton Town (Eng) Bosman 06/2009
01/07/2007 Stephen Henderson GK Aston Villa (Eng) Bristol City (Eng) Free 06/2008
02/07/2007 Barry Conlon ST Un-attached Bradford City (Eng) Free 06/2008

Released Players
01/07/2007 David Worrell RB Rotherham United (Eng)
01/07/2007 Henry McStay CD Portadown (N.Ire)(on trial at St Mirren)
01/07/2007 Michael Keane CM Rotherham United (Eng)(signed for St.Patricks Ath)
01/07/2007 Gary Dempsey AM Aberdeen (Sco)(signed for Yeovil Town)

Retired
01/07/2007 Gary Kelly RB Leeds United (Eng)
06/2007 Jason McAteer MF Tranmere Rovers (Eng)

Transfer Listed
04/06/2007 Alan Maybury RB Leicester City (Eng)
11/05/2007 Graham Coughlan DF Sheffield Wednesday (Eng)
08/05/2007 Garreth O'Connor MF Burnley (Eng)

Qwerty
03/07/2007, 10:14 PM
Mark Yeates has moved to Colchester for an undisclosed fee. Not sure Markey is going to live up to the early hype.

tetsujin1979
03/07/2007, 11:54 PM
Official annoucement from Colchester on Mark Yeates' move - http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10424~1056023,00.html
Jol always said he rated Yeates, bu this was usually followed by a loan to a League 1/Championship club. Yeates had his best spell to date at Colchester in their promotion season, hopefully he can recreate that again.
On the other hand, the last "tricky" winger to move to a Championship club after several loan spells from a Premiership club was....Willo Flood.

youngirish
04/07/2007, 9:19 AM
Official annoucement from Colchester on Mark Yeates' move - http://www.cu-fc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/News/0,,10424~1056023,00.html
Jol always said he rated Yeates, bu this was usually followed by a loan to a League 1/Championship club. Yeates had his best spell to date at Colchester in their promotion season, hopefully he can recreate that again.
On the other hand, the last "tricky" winger to move to a Championship club after several loan spells from a Premiership club was....Willo Flood.

Ritchie Partridge also springs to mind. Good move for Yeates though I can't see him being good enough to be an important player for us. He's nearer 23 than 22 now.

youngirish
04/07/2007, 12:03 PM
Martin Allen has added another new face to his Leicester City squad by signing Jonathan Hayes from Reading.

The teenage winger played under Allen while on loan at Milton Keynes Dons last season and has signed a three-year contract with Leicester.

Hayes leaves Reading without making a first-team appearance, but Allen is confident the youngster can make an impact at the Walkers Stadium.

"I have seen Jonathan play for Reading reserves on numerous occasions," Allen told the club's official website. "He has pace, he is direct and he is very confident.

"I took him with me on loan to MK Dons. He was very impressive.

"I took him there as a squad player to help with our run-in, but he did so well that he actually got himself into the starting XI.

"He is at a right age to improve. He has still got a lot to do and he is not the finished article, but with a good pre-season he could be a spark of energy that helps us win some matches if he does what I want him to."

Very good move for him imo. Allen is a good manager and he obviously sees something in Hayes after having him at Mk Dons for half the season.

dr_peepee
05/07/2007, 12:21 AM
My very limited exposue to Yeates is that he's one of those players you can't quite put an outright position on. Not quite a midfeilder, Winger or Forward,,,, Like Joe Cole or Gazza

tetsujin1979
05/07/2007, 2:35 AM
My very limited exposue to Yeates is that he's one of those players you can't quite put an outright position on. Not quite a midfeilder, Winger or Forward,,,, Like Joe Cole or Gazza
Reckon you might have struck the proverbial nail on the head there, good doctor, he doesn;t having the shooting ability of a forward, or the crossing ability of a winger, or the creativity of a playmaker, but he could yet fill in any 1 of these positions!! Only time will tell. Moving to a club where the manager knows what he can do has to be a positive, definitely better than wasting away on the bench or in the reserves at Spurs (see Keogh, Kelly, Morris, McPhail, McCarthy, etc)

Colbert Report
05/07/2007, 5:42 AM
Where will Roy O'Donovan be playing come September?

livehead1
05/07/2007, 7:31 AM
Where will Roy O'Donovan be playing come September?

Southend £200k

youngirish
06/07/2007, 9:47 AM
McCarthy interested in Elliot:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/sport/football.html?in_article_id=466610&in_page_id=1779&ito=newsnow

tetsujin1979
06/07/2007, 10:25 AM
Leon Best signs for Coventry: http://www.ccfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10269~1066792,00.html

youngirish
06/07/2007, 10:37 AM
Leon Best signs for Coventry: http://www.ccfc.premiumtv.co.uk/page/NewsDetail/0,,10269~1066792,00.html

Nice one. It mentions his Irish experience also so it looks like he's still interested in playing for us. I like the look of Best, he offers something different to the rest of our strikers.

Paddy Garcia
06/07/2007, 11:00 AM
Nice one. It mentions his Irish experience also so it looks like he's still interested in playing for us. I like the look of Best, he offers something different to the rest of our strikers.

Apparently he recently confirmed his commitment to playing for us.