PDA

View Full Version : Heineken Cup 2008 Group draw.

joeSoap
20/06/2007, 1:10 PM
Very very tough (http://www.independent.ie/breaking-news/sport/rugby/irish-provinces-learn-heineken-cup-opponents-705517.html) fro Munster and Leinster.

Schumi
20/06/2007, 1:13 PM
And Leinster were supposed to be seeded too. :rolleyes:

Sumac
20/06/2007, 1:17 PM
Very tough for both Leinster and Munster. Not as bad for Ulster but they will still struggle to get out of the group.

beautifulrock
20/06/2007, 1:25 PM
very tough, London Irish has a fairly easy group though :)

shakermaker1982
20/06/2007, 1:46 PM
it's a bloody fix!!!!

inexile
20/06/2007, 2:01 PM
im afraid to say it and i hope im wrong but for the first time in donkeys years, if not since the competition started there may not be an irish side in the knock-out stages, hope im wrong though. savage tough draws. not even a decent trip away for munster, maybe london but i was in llanelli this year and its an awful kip of a town.

OwlsFan
20/06/2007, 2:34 PM
If they can't get out of a group, then what hope have they of winning it :confused: ?

joeSoap
20/06/2007, 2:46 PM
If they can't get out of a group, then what hope have they of winning it :confused: ? There will be no best runners up coming from either Leinster or Munsters groups. The teams are too good. In order to be a best placed second team, you have to win all your home games, and probably two of the three away games, or score lots of bonus points. That is nigh on impossible in those groups.

finlma
20/06/2007, 5:37 PM
Terrible draw - there won't be an Irish side getting past the group stages.

Aberdonian Stu
21/06/2007, 12:59 AM
Right this is getting depressing...you guys need some encouragement

OAvmLDkAgAM

DmanDmythDledge
21/06/2007, 11:14 AM
Why all the negativity? Leinster have the best backline in the competition and Munster were champions last year. The teams drawn with them will be just as annoyed with the draw as us.

beautifulrock
21/06/2007, 11:21 AM
But look at some of the other groups, they go from the sublime to the ridiculous. This is caused by the foolish idea of each country having a top seeded team, this is a joke, this means both Italy and Scotland have number one seeded team. How crazy is that?

DmanDmythDledge
21/06/2007, 11:22 AM
But look at some of the other groups, they go from the sublime to the ridiculous. This is caused by the foolish idea of each country having a top seeded team, this is a joke, this means both Italy and Scotland have number one seeded team. How crazy is that?
Not just stupid but a disgrace.

shakermaker1982
21/06/2007, 12:47 PM
if only UEFA would try something like this for the Champions League!!! Can you imagine the outcry if Madrid, Milan, Man Utd and Bayern were drawn in the same group....

Dave77
04/07/2007, 8:15 PM
it doesnt matter about the draw for leinster as long as they have to play away from donnybrook, lansdowne or even RDS they will not perform bar a few games here and there.

Jennings and Cullen is a big plus but need a good front row before the can even think about winning Heinken cup.

Aberdonian Stu
05/07/2007, 10:34 AM
Well they have made three significant signings on that front as well so in theory the pack should have more meat this year. That said the general rule of thumb is that once you stick on a Leinster shirt your power to scrummage magically disappears.

Soko
05/07/2007, 11:40 AM
That said the general rule of thumb is that once you stick on a Leinster shirt your power to scrummage magically disappears.

And that when it starts raining, you start thinking about the drive home

joeSoap
05/07/2007, 12:17 PM
And when they go beyong Newlands Cross they really start to sh*t themselves :D

Jofspring
30/07/2007, 12:33 PM
I feel Munster will have more hunger to win it again this year than they did last year. With tipoki signing and the possibilty of another quality signing in the backs on the way they will be serious challengers. Leinster will be decent challengers aswell but feel they will come up short again as will Ulster.

inexile
20/01/2008, 2:05 PM
i am very glad to say i was wrong, munster it has to be said are just incredible, to get out of that group is a wonderful achievement

10 years in a row!!

bring on the quarter final

Kingdom
20/01/2008, 2:09 PM
Yes magnificent achievement. O'Gara seems to me to have either gotten quicker or injected a bit of short pace into his game.
Is it Toulouse away in the Qf? If so it'll be tough but finally they have a back line that can put them on an even keel with the big boys.

By all accounts Tommy Bowe had a cracking game for Ulster today.

edit I see now it will probably be Gloucester away. I think I'd prefer that to Toulouse away.

OneRedArmy
20/01/2008, 2:46 PM
O'Gara was absolutely magnificent yesterday, with timely returns to form for O'Callaghan, O'Driscoll, Leamy and Wallace as well.

Ulster put up a great fight today away to Gloucester where Tommy Bowe scored two and made the other try. Isaac Boss was also impressive, as was Neil and Rory Best. Ulster won all their lineouts (iirc) and disrupted quite a few of Gloucesters.

Not sure if its even worth noting that Geordan Murphy had a great game for Leicester, as he rarely seems to translate this for Ireland.

At last some positives ahead of the six nations.

I'm still very worried about the form of O'Driscoll and D'Arcy though and as for Eddie's selection of Johnny O'Connor over Jennings and Gleeson :eek::rolleyes:

pete
20/01/2008, 5:19 PM
Very tense match until Munster got the try. They deserved the win as got bonus points in other 3 matches against Wasps & Clermont, unlucky to play Llanelli away in the mud when bonus point was up for grabs.

Gloucester v Munster in 1/4 final.

Good chance as still have O'Connell & Quinlan to come back in. I also think Dowling replacing Carney (he was terrible yesterday) would add even more pace.

The Munster bench is a lot stronger than when won the Cup two years ago.

Semi Final draw is on Tuesday.

shakermaker1982
20/01/2008, 6:36 PM
O'Gara on that form is frightening. Munster were fantastic and with their new and improved back line the title could be theirs for a 2nd time. God knows what Howlett thinks of the weather in Limerick but he seems to be loving it! Good to see O'Callaghan step up to the plate without his big mate O'Connell next to him - I'm expecting big things from him in the 6 nations. Who partners him is a tough one.

Leinster were a shambles - the fight was knocked out of em but that right hook by White was sickening. O'Kelly either has an iron chin or White punches like a girl! D'Arcy looks like a ghost at the moment, not gaining any yards and the spark has gone. O'Sullivan will have to consider dropping him. Then again this is Steady Eddie so he'll wait 3 months so he can play his way into form....

Schumi
21/01/2008, 12:24 PM
D'Arcy looks like a ghost at the moment, not gaining any yards and the spark has gone. O'Sullivan will have to consider dropping him. For whom though? Trimble? :rolleyes:

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 12:26 PM
For whom though? Trimble? :rolleyes:Take it you didn't see yesterdays game between Ulster and Gloucester then?

Trimble was outstanding going forward and in defence.

I know its only one match but D'Arcy has been muck for a while now.

Schumi
21/01/2008, 12:42 PM
Take it you didn't see yesterdays game between Ulster and Gloucester then?

Trimble was outstanding going forward and in defence.

I know its only one match but D'Arcy has been muck for a while now.I didn't see the Ulster match but I've seen enough poor performances from Trimble that I simply don't rate him. D'Arcy has been poor since the world cup. I think Sexton should have been starting instead of him for Leinster for the last while, but of course he's injured now. I'd start D'Arcy against Italy and if he he's poor, replace him but I don't see Trimble cutting it in the 6 nations.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 1:00 PM
I didn't see the Ulster match but I've seen enough poor performances from Trimble that I simply don't rate him. D'Arcy has been poor since the world cup. I think Sexton should have been starting instead of him for Leinster for the last while, but of course he's injured now. I'd start D'Arcy against Italy and if he he's poor, replace him but I don't see Trimble cutting it in the 6 nations.
How many times have you seen Trimble play in the centre?

Slightly unfair to judge someone out of position. He was NEVER going to make it as a winger.

shakermaker1982
21/01/2008, 3:45 PM
I'd have no qualms playing Trimble in the centre. I'm a firm believer in picking your form players and D'Arcy has clearly been struggling. On his day there is nobody better than D'Arcy at 12 but we can't wait forever to play himself into form. I'd throw in Tommy Bowe on the wing and have Demspsey at 15. 1 to 3 pick themselves (Flannery citing could have a say in this though). DOC is a starter but who partners him is a big decision. Wallace and Leamy will start but I'm not sure if Easterby will.

Bald Student
21/01/2008, 4:00 PM
BOD should play 12. He's not broken a tackle this season that I can remember but he's still strong enough to take the ball into contact and offload it with little support. As pitiful as it would be to play the world's former best centre in a crash ball roll, it's about the only thing he's doing well right now and it would create a lot of space outside him for Trimble and whomever ends up on the wings.

pete
21/01/2008, 4:09 PM
Lots of Leinster/Irelands backs in poor form. He has feck all options but will EOS be true to his word & pick form players. Darcy has been in shocking form & IMO he has peaking & will regain it.

Bald Student
21/01/2008, 5:07 PM
Lots of Leinster/Irelands backs in poor form. He has feck all options but will EOS be true to his word & pick form players. Darcy has been in shocking form & IMO he has peaking & will regain it.

True but there are only three centres in this country worth considering so it's going to be BOD and one from D'Arcy and Trimble. Dempsey should keep his full back slot. He's the rugby equivalent of Denis Irwin, 7/10 in every match he plays. There's a lot of quantity and little quality to choose from on the wings.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 5:17 PM
True but there are only three centres in this country worth considering so it's going to be BOD and one from D'Arcy and Trimble. Dempsey should keep his full back slot. He's the rugby equivalent of Denis Irwin, 7/10 in every match he plays. There's a lot of quantity and little quality to choose from on the wings.Agree on Dempsey. He was one of few to emerge from WC relatively unscathed.

I also like Fitzgerald. I'm a big fan of an old-style winger with raw pace and a side-step who can finish off moves, as opposed to the recent vogue for man mountains that can field high balls and carry balls through the middle.

Bald Student
21/01/2008, 5:22 PM
Agree on Dempsey. He was one of few to emerge from WC relatively unscathed.

I also like Fitzgerald. I'm a big fan of an old-style winger with raw pace and a side-step who can finish off moves, as opposed to the recent vogue for man mountains that can field high balls and carry balls through the middle.The problem arises when an old style 13 stone winger has to tackle the man mountain. Fitz let in two tries in 5 mins on Saturday.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 5:24 PM
The problem arises when an old style 13 stone winger has to tackle the man mountain. Fitz let in two tries in 5 mins on Saturday.Thats more a positioning issue for me. Get the technique right and it shouldn't matter what size they are.

Bald Student
21/01/2008, 5:28 PM
Thats more a positioning issue for me. Get the technique right and it shouldn't matter what size they are.That's true to an extent but a lot of a winger's job these days involved getting the ball across the line from 10 yards out (or stopping someone from doing this) and the likes of Shaggy are just built better for that.

Aberdonian Stu
21/01/2008, 6:09 PM
Have to agree with my bald colleague. The Luke is far more suited to playing in the centre and won't reach his full potential until he's given a shot there.

pete
21/01/2008, 8:18 PM
Thats more a positioning issue for me. Get the technique right and it shouldn't matter what size they are.

He needs to prove it for Leinster before he gets Ireland place. Shocking position for the Tabeni try which meant he did not even have opportunity to tackle.

OneRedArmy
21/01/2008, 8:54 PM
Have to agree with my bald colleague. The Luke is far more suited to playing in the centre and won't reach his full potential until he's given a shot there.Err....if anything Fitzgerald is a fullback, back on his schools and underage experience?:confused:

If he looks exposed defensively on the wing the centre is no place for him. He's also not nearly big enough for the centre nor have we seen enough of his passing to judge whether he's good enough to play centre.

Aberdonian Stu
21/01/2008, 9:13 PM
It's the way in which he gets exposed that makes me want to move him inside. His errors are very Trimble-esque. He is a much bigger fecker then he looks on TV and is still growing (build wise) so I expect him to put on a few pounds before he reaches his natural playing weight, hence my saying he should move inside.