PDA

View Full Version : City's new signing - Grogan

cork_city_fan
08/03/2003, 5:04 PM
i read in today's evening echo that pat dolan has signed kevin grogan. he is a former ucd and manchester united player.

cork_city_fan
08/03/2003, 5:48 PM
kevin grogan

he can play in midfield and forward he is 21, he played with millwall man utd and ucd

Neil
08/03/2003, 7:10 PM
A good signing if it goes through. If he could rid himself of injuries. Although I would have thought he was similar in style to George O'Callaghan? Attacking midfielder?

pete
10/03/2003, 1:13 PM
Has Grogan signed?

He did well as a winger when he first came over to UCD...

Schumi
10/03/2003, 1:30 PM
Grogan is an excellent player. He would be best used as an attacking midfielder but I seriously doubt that he'll be able to play much. His groin is seriously ****ed up from over training when he was in England.

Fr. Joe
11/03/2003, 10:14 PM
Kevin Grogan has retired from football due to injuries and only joined CCFC to work in their PR department.

Neil
11/03/2003, 10:20 PM
Grogan played the second half of the Limerick game on Sunday. I think the plan is to use him sparingly while he works away on the commercial side of things - where I'm sure he can do a better job than the current shower.

wws
12/03/2003, 10:14 AM
funny isnt it that a commercial genius like dolan needs someone else to do that job.....watch him claim the credit for any good that comes out of it than hang the kid out to dry if he doesnt deliver.....its called delegation or something but he did go to leeside to get 2 salaries for 2 jobs....he's already copped out of one lets see how he fares on the football side

:rolleyes:

Gary
12/03/2003, 10:34 AM
Bitter grapes in the worst form there id say WorldWide****e.

Just because your team is going in a downward spiral dont mean you should take it out on City.

twit

Badweather Fan
12/03/2003, 10:56 AM
Thats pollycock there wws.
Dolan was hired as team manager.
His positive influence on the commercial side will be limited.

wws
12/03/2003, 12:14 PM
actually its based on fact having viewed your manager working at pats....and how is it sour grapes for gods sake? we're delighted he was kicked out, as is 99% of the club

also he was hired by cork city as team and commercial manager....one man 2 salaries, same old dolan

:rolleyes:

Gary
12/03/2003, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by wws
actually its based on fact having viewed your manager working at pats....and how is it sour grapes for gods sake? we're delighted he was kicked out, as is 99% of the club

go away

Badweather Fan
12/03/2003, 12:20 PM
Ya, listen to GWA.

Go talk to Goalside or something.

Grogan wasn't involved on that side of things at Pats so theres no precedent.
Pat Dolan made St.Pats.
You might show him a bit of respect for that ya plonk.

Dricky
12/03/2003, 12:32 PM
He was your god and your saviour after your 10-0 euro exit. were 99% of the club behind that.

Short memories wws

Dodge
12/03/2003, 1:04 PM
In fairness lads you haven't a clue about Pats so don't tell us what we wanted. Read my piece on the IS to get a general view of Dolan. He did not make St Pats. Pats were saved by several people in 1991/92 (including Kerr) Dolan alienated all of these (bar Kerr who moved on anyway) and they are now back in the fold. He has not attrracted one new sponser in 5 years and agin most have desterted us as they have had arguements with him. Every player we as fans grew to love fell out with Dolan and left.

The simple facts are that Brian Kerr made us successful which attracted sponsors which meant we needed one person to keep things ticking over (Dolan)When Dolan took over as manger/manageing director the commercial side was neglected, he argued pettily with some sponsors and word of mouth saw most leave us. He won the league in his first full seson (in which he spent heavily on players) and also with Noel O'Reilly as coach. When Noel departed Dolan realised he hadn't a ****ing clue how to run a football team so resigned and gave the job to Liam Buckley. Liam won the league in his first season and despite the disaster of Zimbru was well liked by fans for his honesty, being a gentleman and getting us to play great football. 6 MONTHS after Zimbru we lost 3 league games on the trot and liam was sacked with Dolan back in charge. Since then we have finished higher than 5th only once and only now have we cleared debts accrued by the spending for the league win in 1998.

All through Pat's career his ability to speak clearlya dn passionately about his beliefs have shown through and anybody not closely involved would be oblivious to the mess he created behind the scenes. The non Pats eL saw the big man wearing his heart on his sleeve as he tore through the league telling every body how great Pats were. What we saw was somebody who was too busy telling everybody this to actualy look at the situation and solve our problems.

Now does tht sound like sour grapes when a Pats fan warns you to be nervous about Dolan takng over your club and leaving it in a worse state than it is (Pats are worse off now than in 1998, when he took full control)

Dricky
12/03/2003, 1:14 PM
Dodge when Buckly go the sack the boards were full of we'll win the chapionship. Dolans the man etc etc

That is all I am concerned with

Dricky
12/03/2003, 1:19 PM
Dodge but I do agree with the Kerr bit the man did make pats.

I do think P Dolan lost the respect of the players over the el 2002 title and that was his downfall. And there is no one who says he is an angel

But I think that April 11th will be a new season, so who knows.

I would ask ye though Collins do you think he is the man for ye????

patsh
12/03/2003, 1:22 PM
Fair points Dodge.
There are 2 sides to Pat Dolan. (OK no obvious jokes, please :) )
Commercially, its a very different situation in Cork to Inchicore.
I think he has created huge interest and publicity for City already, and this could attract a lot of money and extra support to the club. They is no real competition, (Ramblers ??;) ) here, and the more interest created, the more money will roll in.
Potentially, Cork City could be the biggest club in the country, as it could draw on what could be the biggest support base. Unless one club in Dublin becomes completely dominant, it will not attract the same numbers through the gate.
B. Lennox realises this and I think it is his ambition to create as much hype and glamour as possible to get a solid support base at all home games. It would not be unrealistic for City to be able to get 8K to 10K for every home game. From that point of view, Dolan is the perfect man to be loud, proud and stir up the interest.

On the field however, I'm not so sure about him.
He will need to get the team playing attractive football, be challenging for honours and possibly win one competition this season. If he does that, the hype and support will increase.

So commercially, he has already succeeded to a certain extent, football-wise we will have to wait and see.

Dodge
12/03/2003, 1:29 PM
Originally posted by Dricky
Dodge when Buckly go the sack the boards were full of we'll win the chapionship. Dolans the man etc etc

That is all I am concerned with
So about 4 years ago, the 10 or so Pats internet fans were pro Dolan so we all have short memories. I, for one, never wanted him as manager. I resect what he's done for the club but lets not kid ourselves. Dolan would have people people all the championship we've won are down to him

Oddboy, As I said (in a roundabout way) was that PR wise Dolan can pull off some masterstrokes and initialy he'll do brilliantly for Cork but after the hype dies, I'd be worried at whats left...

As for Collins, he wasn't my first choice but over the last few weeks I think all Pats fans have come round to him and he obviously knows his stuff. I'm definitely willing to give him the chance and with the resources he has available i'm not expecting miracles

wws
12/03/2003, 1:54 PM
well dodge it was interesting that the manager of the republic of ireland football team issued a statement welcoming the appointment of Eamonn Collins to Saint Patricks Athletic......its no suprise to those who know that he DID not issue anything on Dolans removal from st pats and appointment as cork boss....on the pitch he doesnt rate dolan's ability as a manager and was like ALL of us at pats delighted that Collins finally got full control free from Dolans meddling influence

thecorner
11/04/2003, 7:29 PM
whatever happened to grogan. doesnt seem to have signed for anybody or is he gonna be just commercial manager

been looking at ins and outs of players in close season and not a sign of him anywhere:confused: :confused:

Colm
11/04/2003, 8:48 PM
Originally posted by thecorner
been looking at ins and outs of players in close season and not a sign of him

As it turned out there never was any sign of him in the first place.

Linda Lewis is the new commercial manager.