PDA

View Full Version : RTE not to show UEFA game?

pete
23/07/2001, 4:20 PM
When I heard that Longford & $hels were playing their home legs on different weeks I thought it would have been a great apportunity for RTE to televise the Longford UEFA CUP game.

Hearing ye have improved their facilities greatly sounded like it would have been an opportunity for RTE to answer critcisms of not showing games outside Dublin.

Talk of RTE showing both $hels games seems rule this out.

Sorry for y'all. Its an indefensible decision if true....

Pauro 76
23/07/2001, 4:40 PM
Typical RTE. And themselves thinking of raising the TV licence fee too. For what exactly? Absolute rubbish, youd think at least they'd get off their arses and promote our National League.

Macy
23/07/2001, 5:01 PM
I thought we'd already sold the rights to some other crowd? I don't know what the story is with that - it maybe that they handle the selling of the rights to whatever channel. No doubt gheewhizz will know all the answers.
Besides get on eircomleague.net mb and get the details of the hound rte campaign re: Bohs game(s) in Europe....

fosterdollar
24/07/2001, 1:40 PM
I think the whole idea of ever expecting RTE to show the game is a bit ambitious even if it is something which anywhere else would be a given. I think most of us gave up on RTE a long time ago... (circa the removal of BOsco from our TV screens - stil havnt got over that one yet)

Pauro 76
24/07/2001, 1:57 PM
And Fortycoats too! Bring that back while your at it!

Ash
24/07/2001, 3:11 PM
Pats Chat :)

Cant remember much about it now but had brief flashbacks when I saw the man himself setting books on Grafton Street.

Pauro 76
24/07/2001, 4:38 PM
Never meet your idols! Saw the man himself on Grafton St. and said hi, used to love your show, and he just blanked me! Where is Spindle the Spider now i wonder?

gheewhizz
25/07/2001, 12:50 AM
Well Macy, RTE didn't show any interest in the tv rights & the rights went to the highest bidder.

Macy
25/07/2001, 9:37 AM
Eh, I said I didn't know. Still no excuse for not showing Bohs game. Any other Town heads going to the game?

fosterdollar
25/07/2001, 3:34 PM
Don't talk to me about bad experiences of meeting one's idols. I met Bosco on a shelf in Eason's one day. Tried to strike up an intellectual conversation about internal political agendas within RTEngland, etc. and he snubbed me completely. He just sat and gazed into thin air as if he were lifeless or something. To him I was a nobody, I guess. So I turned on my heels, muttered something offensive and left finding consolation in the fact that I knew I was better better than him. :)

Pauro 76
25/07/2001, 5:51 PM
What was that about Dustin sticking up for the whole of RTE in the staff bullying thing? Typical RTE, it takes a puppet to stand up for all the muppets there.... And bring back Glenroe too, we need that theme tune fresh in the memory for the trip to Bray...

Sinéad
25/07/2001, 6:20 PM
Don't even go there!! I remember the day well when I discovered that Dustin was nothing but a puppet! I walked into the Den Studio and there he was....lying, motionless, in a heap! I said nothing, the tears welling in my eyes. Ray explained that Dustin was late, had missed the Bus, the 19A I think. It all got too complicated from then on in....Its a bit of a blur really. I'll never forget it though....My day on "Talent on the Telly" ended in tears!:(

joe
25/07/2001, 7:08 PM
Speaking of Dustin, what's he going to do now that St. Francis have gone quietly into the night?

dinny
26/07/2001, 4:10 PM
It is time to bring a banner to the game telling RTEngland where to go with their ****ing ****e coverage of the National League. They say that they get low viewing figures but it they showed games more often other people might start going to games. Cork fans are always shouting for "Multichanel" when RTE make a rare appearence in the deep south. When RTE do show games it is always Dublin teams even if the game is unimportant.

fosterdollar
26/07/2001, 4:49 PM
here here dinny. i think that's the most valid point of the argument for more coverage. Viewership is based on reeling in people on the basis of what they have already got a taste of. We all know that the eL can be hugely appealing with teams like de town keeping up the standards!!!;)

Pauro 76
27/07/2001, 12:10 PM
Agree with ya there, if the EL had the right marketing, it'd be a success. The hardcore fans are there, but we need to get the armchair fans off their arses and start following their local team. We're like Singapore, putting foreign teams over our own. Can you believe they've a Man Utd superstore over there and idolise them totally. The Singapore league must be in an awful state cos of these idiots who prefer to follow a glamourous team thousands of miles away. :mad:

pete
27/07/2001, 1:33 PM
Its idiotic to suggest cos no one attends the matches that peple won't watch on TV!

Think of many sports we all watch on TV but would rarely if ever attend a live game.

Countries like Switzerland, Austria, etc... get fairly minimal league attendances but make a huge amount of money from spomnsorship because of their TV exposure!

Sure bigger crowds = better atmosphere but 8% (according to RTE Head of Sport) of the audience share IS a significant & IMO a commercial viable figure for televising eL games! Remember more people will watch a euro game involving an eL club that an average eL fixture. RTE probably don't have the sports budget to show Bohs or Longford but they should be capable of making a commercial decision to divert funds from elsewhere when clearly there is significant demand to see a particular match.

NO wonder RTE are in the state they are!

Sinéad
27/07/2001, 6:53 PM
Ok.....i've just heard that RTE are to launch 4 new digital channels which will include an 24 hour News and Sports channel.....Is this good or bad? Perhaps they will show EVEN more english soccer?:mad:

dinny
27/07/2001, 8:10 PM
it says in the Irish times that the digital news channel coverts to a sports channel at the weekend and will live events " with an Irish interest " which probably means lots more Roy Keane etc. The eL coverage will probably be in the middle of live road bowling and bog snorkling at about midnight on the last thursday of the millenium.

who says RTEngland didn't care !!!!!!!!!!

Pauro 76
02/08/2001, 1:50 PM
Just thought of something, if RTE's saved £2 million on rights to the Premiership, why not use the money saved for setting up decent coverage of the eL? But then again, they'll only spend it on dodgy foreign American soaps or something....:mad:

Citymark
02/08/2001, 3:29 PM
I think that RTE not showing the LT game is a disgrace. Now that they have 'dumped' The Premiership, surely they have enough cash to show the match. I'm a CCFC fan but would love to see LT playing in Europe. Best of luck to ye.:)

dinny
07/08/2001, 9:46 PM
I didn't back from the Holliers till today but it is not a sick joke from RTE to show Ajax and Celtic when they said last time that they couldn't show Bohs because they didn't have the rights to the rest of the champions league.
HYPOCRITES