PDA

View Full Version : Whats wrong with GUFC?

Demoshield
19/06/2007, 2:20 PM
Great progress has been made off the pitch, but no matter what manager is in charge the same olfd failings reappear season after season. Loosing to teams we should be hammering,conceeding goals in the last few minutes of games.
Last nights game was one of the worst I have ever seen. A very poor Harps side deserved their win, could have won it Friday night too. A full time side, with probably the 6th or 7th biggest budget in the league couldn't beat a make shift mid table first division side, missing three of their better players.
We currently have two centre mids & a striker lined up to join in the window.
Does the management not think we need
1. a left back
2. a right wing
3. A centre back, if Reggi is to stay on the right.
Standing a few feet from one of the Bohs back room team, in the stand at the game in Terryland, after 5 mins he phoned the Bohs dug out and his message to them " attack the left back every time"
Time for the hard luck stories is over. Urgent action required by players and manager. If not urgent action required by the board. We may escape this season but we won't next season with this form.

Mr A
19/06/2007, 2:29 PM
Harps made a bad start to the season but in recent weeks have been getting it together and playing well and I personally reckon we're the second best tem in the division even if the table doesn't currently reflect that. We have a pretty good squad, great spirit and a fair bit of experience.

I do not believe that GU have a significantly better squad than us currently. Even with a few players out I think our bench was as good as GU's last night.

Tir Oilean
19/06/2007, 3:09 PM
We currently have two centre mids & a striker lined up to join in the window.
Does the management not think we need
1. a left back
2. a right wing
3. A centre back, if Reggi is to stay on the right.
Standing a few feet from one of the Bohs back room team, in the stand at the game in Terryland, after 5 mins he phoned the Bohs dug out and his message to them " attack the left back every time"
Time for the hard luck stories is over.

Have to agree Demoshield some of the sgnings were questionable from the off especially Brinias. Centre mid is gonna be chockablock after the window unless there are plans for Murphs to head back up front which I doubt. Paddyfield mentioned Quirky ages ago and to be honest he could fill that left back role even if he wasnt goin training full time.

I think that a mercenary route could backfire with disastrous consequences for any team.

However I'm not overly worried just yet as its still early days in the league and we have only lost by the odd goal agaist some of the bigger teams and hey look we were told from the start that we would struggle this year! We now only have one focus and thats the only one we should have............ The League

gilberto_eire
19/06/2007, 3:50 PM
Have to agree Demoshield some of the sgnings were questionable from the off especially Brinias. Centre mid is gonna be chockablock after the window unless there are plans for Murphs to head back up front which I doubt. Paddyfield mentioned Quirky ages ago and to be honest he could fill that left back role even if he wasnt goin training full time.

I think that a mercenary route could backfire with disastrous consequences for any team.

However I'm not overly worried just yet as its still early days in the league and we have only lost by the odd goal agaist some of the bigger teams and hey look we were told from the start that we would struggle this year! We now only have one focus and thats the only one we should have............ The League

just because the managemnt told us that doesnt mean its acceptable.... it wasnt a very ambitious aim for the yesr ''just avoid relegation''...was it?
we've only won 3 games this year frm frm acceptable for any club in any kind of league!!.
lets just wait and see what the new signings are like doh.... if there of no benefit to the team well then we have to look at the management and wonder are they the ones to take us to the top

DmanDmythDledge
19/06/2007, 4:01 PM
just because the managemnt told us that doesnt mean its acceptable.... it wasnt a very ambitious aim for the yesr ''just avoid relegation''...was it?
So do you think your club should aim well above what they're capable of? Your board have set to avoid relegation and going by your results so far this season that is realistic and within your reach.

Conor H
19/06/2007, 4:59 PM
I've said it before and i'll say it again.

Over the last 5 years the players are the only part of the Club not pulling their weight.
Some of them are nowhere near fit to wear the shirt.
I've full faith in TC and think he is the man for the job but the facts/realities are indisputable.
-Out of Both Cups
-No wins at home
-Some ambigous signings
-Full time set up(still can't beat a bunch of part timers both in this League and the Cup)

I am confident we'll turn it around and we'll easily stay yp.Nevertheless nobdy can begrudge us of wanting something to cheer about.

Ceirtlis
19/06/2007, 7:42 PM
Its all well and good saying we need better players but where are they going to come from? Apparently the club are keeping a tight budget this year so Tony has had to look at the lower end of the market. The availability of players and the willingness for them to move to Galway full-time id imagine make it hard to get good guys in. Not all the new signings have been crap either and there is a few more boys on the way. Remember we did not even finish in the promotion spots last year lads and most of the teams in the premier are now full time its not as if we have any major advantage.

gilberto_eire
19/06/2007, 8:02 PM
So do you think your club should aim well above what they're capable of? Your board have set to avoid relegation and going by your results so far this season that is realistic and within your reach.

no the board didnt, tony set the aim as ''just avoid relegation''. what we are capable off??.... how do you know what we could have been capable of achieving had the proper players been brought in pre-season in place of Moran, Reilly and cookie(and maybe lester)??. pre-season squad wasnt assembled well enough lets not forget we went into the season with barry as our main striker and that has shown till Glynn got the 6 in 3 we had only managed 7 goals in all comps up till that which is 13/14 games!.
ive said before and ill say it again you dont have to struggle when you get promotion(sligo here and reading in england just frm last season),teams who aim low hit low!.
as i said in pervious post ill wait to see if the new signings are of the reggie calibre and if they are well then he'll prove something but if he messes this window up i think we have to wonder if he's the man for the job, we cant afford to only set this sink in when its too late!. lets just look forward to friday and hope we can nick it if Glynn can do it again.... i think steveo would want to get his name on the scoresheet now considering the amount of time he's getting!.
(sorry terry those multi' posts werent done by me...must be the system...theres even a post in between and the times are well seperated...)

Patrick Dunne
19/06/2007, 8:04 PM
What was most disappointing for me last night was that, in extra-time, our
full-time status did not give us any advantage against a part-time First Division side. I would have thought that we would be well on top for at least all of the second period of extra time, against players that were probably at work that day.

It is clear that 3/4 players are not up to Premier standards, no matter how fit or how rested they are before games.

Hopefully we can loan them off to Limerick, Athlone, Longford when the transfer window opens. I would have no problem with GUFC paying a proportion of their wages.

Fagan should be an addition to the squad, and 1/2 of the U21s might make the jump up to the senior bench.

Only for the Sunderland friendly, we would now be a in difficult position. I can't see crowds getting up over the 2,000 mark unless there is a serious improvement in form.

corbyeire
19/06/2007, 8:18 PM
i think we were doing well getting some of the home crowds weve gotten considering we still havent won - think the fact that there is a good amount of season tickets about - people are still showing up

Paddyfield
19/06/2007, 8:18 PM
Only for the Sunderland friendly, we would now be a in difficult position. I can't see crowds getting up over the 2,000 mark unless there is a serious improvement in form.

I would hardly expect a thousand to make it to Terryland on Friday, especially as it will be live on the net, TV and radio. And the weather will probably be crap too.

Patrick Dunne
19/06/2007, 8:25 PM
We'll have 1,000 with season ticket holders, away fans, students and
paying juveniles, Unfortunately we may only have a few hundred floaters.

I predict 1,300 - 1,400.

Terry
19/06/2007, 9:10 PM
I predict 1,300 - 1,400.

I don't know, I' be happy with a 1-0 win !!!!!:);)

DmanDmythDledge
19/06/2007, 10:57 PM
what we are capable of?.... how do you know what we could have been capable of achieving had the proper players been brought in pre-season in place of Moran, Reilly and cookie(and maybe lester)?
That's all ifs and buts. Every team can say that. Your position in the league is reflective of how good you are.

Demoshield
19/06/2007, 11:01 PM
[QUOTE=Patrick Dunne;706991]We'll have 1,000 with season ticket holders, away fans, students and

That's just not not true according to the HSE
Galway has more floaters than anywhere else in the country!:D:;)

gilberto_eire
20/06/2007, 12:51 AM
That's all ifs and buts. Every team can say that. Your position in the league is reflective of how good you are.

yes of the current squad but we had the potential to make it better is what im trying to say if we didnt go into the season with 3 players more suited to monaghan...we'd be mid-table if the proper players were brough in then....

corbyeire
20/06/2007, 10:32 AM
[QUOTE=Patrick Dunne;706991]We'll have 1,000 with season ticket holders, away fans, students and

That's just not not true according to the HSE
Galway has more floaters than anywhere else in the country!:D:;)

:D brilliant