PDA

View Full Version : Sale of Tolka

Pages : [1] 2 3

Dodge
19/06/2007, 10:16 AM
Bit in the Star today by Paul Lennon saying that when all tax/bills are paid, Shels will have just about €3mill left over form the sale of Tolka, which is obviously not enough to get a ground of their own.

Looks more and more like Shels NEED to go to Tallaght

Steve Bruce
19/06/2007, 10:46 AM
I know very few people like shels on this forum, But i think it is a shame on how such a great side has been decimated. I know it is their own doing, but they truely where a great side if where on their day, no one on this island could have lived with them.

Partizan
19/06/2007, 11:04 AM
I know very few people like shels on this forum, But i think it is a shame on how such a great side has been decimated. I know it is their own doing, but they truely where a great side if where on their day, no one on this island could have lived with them.

No pity for them whatsoever. Ollie pushed the self destruct button and hence the collective heads in the sands from their fans. I agree with you on the last part, but its easy do that when your funding the squad on the back of your lease depsite a miniscule gate receipts coming from a near non existant support.

They gambled and lost, tough..

Steve Bruce
19/06/2007, 11:05 AM
No pity for them whatsoever. Ollie pushed the self destruct button and hence the collective heads in the sands from their fans. I agree with you on the last part, but its easy do that when your funding the squad on the back of your lease depsite a miniscule gate receipts coming from a near non existant support.

They gambled and lost, tough..

They believed after qualifying for the 3rd round, that they will make the CL proper within 5 years. If that had of happened the LOI would have been on a massive high and I believe it would have been good for the whole league.

A big mistake on their part, but better to have tried and failed, than not to try at all.

OhNoYouDidn't
19/06/2007, 11:07 AM
Let's hope your club never makes a mistake then eh?

there are mistakes and there is selling the leasehold on a city centre venue to pay players, inflating the wage demands of the entire league.

Steve Bruce
19/06/2007, 11:08 AM
there are mistakes and there is selling the leasehold on a city centre venue to pay players, inflating the wage demands of the entire league.

I would hardly think Shamrock Rovers fans are in a position to critisize Shels. How long has it been now since you had a home?

Partizan
19/06/2007, 11:11 AM

Exactly, what Shels did was financially reckless bordering on the criminally insane. they gambled all their chips on 13 black and lost.

BohsPartisan
19/06/2007, 11:14 AM
I would hardly think Shamrock Rovers fans are in a position to critisize Shels. How long has it been now since you had a home?

:D Hee Hee

Partizan
19/06/2007, 11:14 AM

oh for the love of jesus, dont start this rubbish off again. Rovers had the ground sold under them by a cowboy who took the money and ran. At least their fans have attempted to rectify the situation and will soon have their own ground in Tallaght as the fruits of their labour finally pays off. Shelbourne fans despite the blindingly obvious elected to stick their heads in the sand hoping it would all blow over.

bad mongo
19/06/2007, 11:18 AM
You reap what you sow. Now we've had one unhinged obsessive loon try this kind of caper let's hope it will be the end of it.

Dodge
19/06/2007, 11:21 AM
oh for the love of jesus, dont start this rubbish off again. Rovers had the ground sold under them by a cowboy who took the money and ran

As opposed to what happened Shels? Rovers still sing about 4 in a row, most of them without even a hint of irony that it was paid for by Kilcoyne and he wanted his money back (He also spoke of doing something in Europe)

In fairness to Rovers they've got their act together big time but there's no way they could build that stadium on their own, so the SDCC really helped them out (and before anyone starts I've nothing against this and fair play to the SDCC and Rovers for showing a bit of imagination)

It is hugely ironic though that Rovers will firmly be in the driving seat when it comes to Tallaght and Shels will be begging to be allowed jump in as the junior partner.

Partizan
19/06/2007, 11:32 AM
tallaght will be the final nail in the coffin for Shels as if they are not dying entity already. They have no links with the community and thus doomed to failure. Their dwindling support will wittle away into nothing.

The only thing that will save them is if they back to Ringsend/Irishtown their traditional catchment area.

Dodge
19/06/2007, 11:47 AM
Its 18 years since they played on the southside (Harolds Cross) and even then their crowds were appaling. At the moment most of their support is from the northside, so a move to irishtown would alienate a fair amount of these.

TBH I can't see a way back for Shels. Maybe into the premier but I can't see them being a force again. Might be wishful thinking mind...

Stato
19/06/2007, 11:57 AM
Problem is, there's no venue in the Ringsend area that would qualify under the licensing criteria.

John83
19/06/2007, 12:00 PM
Any chance of the RDS? They're doing it up right now, aren't they?

Soper
19/06/2007, 12:04 PM
Getting access to the RDS could possibly entice Bobby Ryan back to them

Schumi
19/06/2007, 12:05 PM
Any chance of the RDS? They're doing it up right now, aren't they?Rental is quite pricey.

Dodge
19/06/2007, 12:09 PM
Leinster Rugby using that for the next while. Would cost a fair bit to rent out too I'd imagine. They won't have the money to do up Morton stadium, so IMO Tallaght is the only option

Theskinloyal
19/06/2007, 12:19 PM
I don't think any redsmen care about being a force anymore, we are just delighted we still have a team to support.

Personally if it was a choice between not having a club or doing a rovers and playing in a different ground every other year I know which one I would pick.

Attendances are as good/slightly up on last season. Aside from our really big games last season we were recording under a thousand for games against teams like Bray, Longford, Waterford, UCD and Sligo. We had about 1200 for our home game against Monaghan.

OhNoYouDidn't
19/06/2007, 12:19 PM
As opposed to what happened Shels?

I dont think anyone is alledging Ollie is making any personal gains from the sale of Tolka. Totally different scenario.

Rovers still sing about 4 in a row, most of them without even a hint of irony that it was paid for by Kilcoyne and he wanted his money back (He also spoke of doing something in Europe)

So he says. He didnt put a great deal into Rovers during those years but saw his chance and took it. Lucifer was too short sighted to hang on 5 years and catch the property boom. But to say he walked away breaking even like you imply is ludicrous.

To answer SB, the difference is the protests, political campaign and general rowdiness we embarked on when our stadium was sold versus 'in Ollie we trust' from the shels fans.

Dodge
19/06/2007, 12:51 PM
But to say he walked away breaking even like you imply is ludicrous.

Sorry, didn't mean to imply that one little bit

pete
19/06/2007, 12:58 PM
I have believed for a while that Shels will end up in Tallaght as will suit the FAI, Pats, Bohs, Shels & the Government.

I heard they will be building Las Vegas Court apartments in Tolka. :D

Shelsman
19/06/2007, 1:03 PM
It is hugely ironic though that Rovers will firmly be in the driving seat when it comes to Tallaght and Shels will be begging to be allowed jump in as the junior partner.

Seeing that we've accommodated them for years I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for us if needs be. Morton is the only one for me anyway ( regardless of doing it up -though I'm not sure about licensing ) -there's no point moving out of our natural catchment area.

Dodge
19/06/2007, 1:04 PM
Seeing that we've accommodated them for years I don't see why they wouldn't do the same for us if needs be.
Rovers wouldn't have a say though. It'd be all down to SDCC

alltogethernow
19/06/2007, 1:12 PM
Attendances are as good/slightly up on last season. Aside from our really big games last season we were recording under a thousand for games against teams like Bray, Longford, Waterford, UCD and Sligo. We had about 1200 for our home game against Monaghan.

Up on last season?:confused:

Your two biigest games this season have been Cork last Friday....1,000 and us in the LC where we had more fans so don't be holding out for attendances.

Have to agree with Dodge that Tallaght is looking like the only move, there is no point putting money into morton stadium IMO.

alltogethernow
19/06/2007, 1:14 PM
Personally if it was a choice between not having a club or doing a rovers and playing in a different ground every other year I know which one I would pick.

Rovers have been moving because clubs don't want them in there grounds which i can't see being a problem for Shels so if you do move to Tallaght you will be in the same boat Rovers are now and I think most Shels fans would now take the position Rovers are in now above the mess your in.

DmanDmythDledge
19/06/2007, 1:18 PM
Your two biigest games this season have been Cork last Friday....1,000 and us in the LC where we had more fans so don't be holding out for attendances.
Early round cup games attract less than league games, let alone League Cup games.

alltogethernow
19/06/2007, 1:21 PM
Early round cup games attract less than league games, let alone League Cup games.

Agreed but for division one teams to draw a big tie against Cork and local rivals and get two terrible crowds is poor.

IMO there is no way their attendances are up.

BohsPartisan
19/06/2007, 1:24 PM
-there's no point moving out of our natural catchment area.

Do you have one?
:confused:

Anyone I know from Santry who supports LOI is a Bohs fan.

OhNoYouDidn't
19/06/2007, 1:27 PM
Rovers have been moving because clubs don't want them in there grounds which i can't see being a problem for Shels so if you do move to Tallaght you will be in the same boat Rovers are now and I think most Shels fans would now take the position Rovers are in now above the mess your in.

thats why we had Pats, Shels and her majesties Bohemians all courting us this season? a three way reverse auction ensued which saw you all bid each other down?

clueless. :rolleyes:

BohsPartisan
19/06/2007, 1:42 PM
thats why we had Pats, Shels and her majesties Bohemians all courting us this season? a three way reverse auction ensued which saw you all bid each other down?

clueless. :rolleyes:

Us and Pats were just trying to ensure Shels didn't get too much money in rent! :cool:

OhNoYouDidn't
19/06/2007, 1:55 PM
Us and Pats were just trying to ensure Shels didn't get too much money in rent! :cool:

an arrangment that saw shels get less of our money and certain members of Phibsboro Loyal's board of management on their knees.

Win win for the hoops. :D

alltogethernow
19/06/2007, 2:15 PM
an arrangment that saw shels get less of our money and certain members of Phibsboro Loyal's board of management on their knees.

Win win for the hoops. :D

Was only making the point that you had to move in the 1st post which you did, TBH i was happy when you were in Dalymount, more revenue for the club.

Of course your going to play in Tolka, they would take a tenner a week rent at this stage;)

sonofstan
19/06/2007, 2:20 PM
[QUOTE=OhNoYouDidn't;706614 her majesties Bohemians
[/QUOTE]

Capital letters please for HRH - and it's singular: 'Her Majesty's'

OhNoYouDidn't
19/06/2007, 2:44 PM
Capital letters please for HRH - and it's singular: 'Her Majesty's'

My apologies, I am not as skilled in the Queens English as you Bells Acadamy types :D

sfc red
19/06/2007, 2:44 PM
Up on last season?

Rubbish. Our biggest game of the season was Kildare County at home and we had a crowd of 1700+

Our crowds are no worse than Rovers got when they were in Div 1

BohsFans
19/06/2007, 2:46 PM
Our biggest game of the season was Kildare County at home

lol :D:D

alltogethernow
19/06/2007, 2:53 PM
Rubbish. Our biggest game of the season was Kildare County at home and we had a crowd of 1700+

Our crowds are no worse than Rovers got when they were in Div 1

Ah the local derby:D

Mr A
19/06/2007, 2:58 PM
How about this-

Shels take their €3 million (or a significant part thereoff) and go to SDCC who use this to part-fund the construction of the ground in Tallaght. The stadium is then not wholly funded by the council so Thomas Davis' case is shot to f**k.

Everybody wins.

OhNoYouDidn't
19/06/2007, 3:06 PM
How about this-

Shels take their €3 million (or a significant part thereoff) and go to SDCC who use this to part-fund the construction of the ground in Tallaght. The stadium is then not wholly funded by the council so Thomas Davis' case is shot to f**k.

Everybody wins.

its not wholly funded by the council at the moment. dont believe the GAA lies!!! :mad:

thomas bigots are taking the case on a technical point of council procedure in relation to the vote, nohting to do with funding.

passerrby
19/06/2007, 3:11 PM
you support your team no matter where they play, dont think rovers lost to much support through there years of travelling, stability is the key and tallagh will do that for both clubs

DvB
19/06/2007, 3:49 PM
you support your team no matter where they play, dont think rovers lost to much support through there years of travelling, stability is the key and tallagh will do that for both clubs

Actually our support has fallen significantly over the years! The early years in the RDS being a prime example of our potential, sadly numerous moves from one ground to another have taken their toll, Santry being the prime culprit IMO!

Koh

Steve Bruce
19/06/2007, 3:55 PM
Actually our support has fallen significantly over the years! The early years in the RDS being a prime example of our potential, sadly numerous moves from one ground to another have taken their toll, Santry being the prime culprit IMO!

Koh

I think when you get yourself a permenant home and start being successful again you will get some support back. Although not like the olds days as those days are gone in world football, not just Irish football.

Raheny Red
19/06/2007, 4:26 PM

AFAIK Kildare at home was our biggest attendance so far this season.

Mr A
19/06/2007, 4:28 PM
Our biggest game of the season was Kildare County at home

Superclassico!

FarmHoop
19/06/2007, 4:36 PM
Does anyone else think the live monday night games are killing the attendences?

I was at the bohs-pats game recently and the pats crowd was pathetic for a dublin derby!

BohsFans
19/06/2007, 4:41 PM
Does anyone else think the live monday night games are killing the attendences?

I was at the bohs-pats game recently and the pats crowd was pathetic for a dublin derby!

Not sure if you've been to Bohs - Pat's games at Dalyer b4, but they never bring a good crowd to Dalyer, no matter what night the match is played!

FarmHoop
19/06/2007, 4:44 PM
No mate it was my first, well glad to hear it wasnt cos of the live tv, but still think they dont help

superfrank
19/06/2007, 4:51 PM
God forgive any team having a bit of ambition. Shels took the risk to get to the CL, it backfired and they paid for it. It's their own doing but at least Ollie had the balls to do it.

Would the €3m not give them enough to rent, even buy, Whitehall? I can't imagine they want to play in Tallaght.

BohsFans
19/06/2007, 4:56 PM
Would the €3m not give them enough to rent, even buy, Whitehall? I can't imagine they want to play in Tallaght.

The area is not for sale last time I checked! ;)

You'd need many more millions to get Home Farm to sell up!