PDA

View Full Version : GUFC v Shamrock Rovers

Pages : [1] 2

Tir Oilean
17/06/2007, 9:25 PM
Well the lights are on the way back up they were working on them on Saturday. Barry Murphy was badly injured against the other SRFC in the Cup so he might be out of the game.

I predict a first home victory for United as long as there is no Philip Reilly or silly substitions towards the end of the match. No Alan Murphy for this one so It'll be Foley in there instead. He started well this season but has tailed off recently but he will give it 100% as usual.

sligoman
17/06/2007, 9:41 PM
Barry Murphy is definitely out of the game. Out for 3 weeks. Which is great for ye, as Digger can be very dodgy.

gilberto_eire
17/06/2007, 10:29 PM
Well the lights are on the way back up they were working on them on Saturday. Barry Murphy was badly injured against the other SRFC in the Cup so he might be out of the game.

I predict a first home victory for United as long as there is no Philip Reilly or silly substitions towards the end of the match. No Alan Murphy for this one so It'll be Foley in there instead. He started well this season but has tailed off recently but he will give it 100% as usual.

agree with ya 110%
both murphys are a big loss to the clubs prob ours more then theres imo!. wasnt much between us last yr or up tolka this yr...but maybe glynn can change that!!. cant wait to get this new fella started were too reliant on glynn already and an alternative will be great if things arent going according to plan!.
i think we can take them....will be tight 1-0

Terry
18/06/2007, 8:16 AM
Murphy is by far the best keeper in the league. Good to hear that he is only out for 3 weeks and there was nothing to serious in his injury. Saying that I think the match will still be as tight as they were last season and I also see a similar result also, 1-0 united, O'Brien again the hero.

gufct
18/06/2007, 8:49 AM
Not only is murphy missing but their captain Aidan Price is out long term.United to win and id love if we were still over reliant on a man who scores 6 goals in 3 games for the rest of the season. Our front two compliment each other so we dont need to change it yet.;)

eamo1
18/06/2007, 1:43 PM
both sides are amoung the best defences in the league so dont expect a scorefest.yer right that it will be tight enough and i also go with the prediction of 1-0 to us.
set pieces will decide it sadly and expect glynn to get hammered in the first few minutes and time wasting tactics to play a part too-all of these happen when a "massive" team from dublin comes to terryland.

Paddyfield
18/06/2007, 4:03 PM
FFS, Can we put the discussion about the Shamrock Rovers game on hold until after the Harps game?

Tir Oilean
19/06/2007, 8:21 AM
FFS, Can we put the discussion about the Shamrock Rovers game on hold until after the Harps game?

Ya now its over so whats your prediction!:D:D

Claret Murph
19/06/2007, 9:10 AM
I hate to say this but I can see us getting beat in this one , yes it will be tight and only one goal in it and it will come in the the 90th minute from a set peice .

DvB
19/06/2007, 10:02 AM
Well there should be a decent amount of hoops going down anyway (well if our bus is anything to go by anyway), personally i thought with it being live on TV it would affect the numbers travelling but hopefully that wont be the case!

Looking forward to a few beers beforehand in our usual haunt! Just hope the weather improves somewhat before friday!

Although our recent record is pretty poor down there & we'll be missing 3 of our most important players i'm hopeful of a decent result this time! Fingers crossed anyway!:D

Koh

GUISAUltra
19/06/2007, 10:49 AM
same as both occasions last year, we'll scrape a 1-0 win. i was looking at the goals that rovers conceded against sligo in the cup, if there back 4 plays like that again then there will be a few chances for derek glynn with his pace, the only question is can we keep concentration long enough to stop them scoring, i have my doubts but i still think we'll scrape a 1-0

srfc-1901
20/06/2007, 6:46 AM
Please say the game is live on webcast?:(:(

Patrick Dunne
20/06/2007, 6:48 AM
I presume it is, check out www.tg4.ie.

Dodge
20/06/2007, 6:57 AM
Its www.tg4.tv for webcasts. Should be, the others have been this year

MyTown
21/06/2007, 10:51 AM
Nobody mentioned it on the Harps match thread, but does anyone agree that it was one of the worst atmospheres at a game this season?

While we've only had a disappointing four draws at home this season, the support has always been very good - at least I thought it was - up to last Friday. :confused:

I don't know if it was the earlier kick off, the fact that we went into reverse after taking the two goal lead, or where I watched the game from (not my usual spot), but I thought it was very flat altogether and I hope we can rev it up a bit for the travelling hoops.

We really need to give the lads very vocal backing, no matter how weary we are of the results on home soil so far. I think the support in Longford made a huge difference during the third quarter of the game when Longford were threatening to come back into it.

I think that's the kind of support the lads will need tomorrow night - TV or no TV.

corbyeire
21/06/2007, 11:04 AM
i think the reduced crowd at harps and the expectation of more after an early 2-0 lead - made the crowd less vocal

most people would have been thinking finally - the home win

but then no the usual self destruct

regulars just getting tired of the same old story

Tir Oilean
21/06/2007, 11:33 AM
The change in kick off destroyed it IMO people didnt get as many beers in beforehand and id say a fair few were put off coming down due to the rush to get home have dinner then get back to Terryland all in rush hour traffic.

corbyeire
21/06/2007, 1:12 PM
and i suppose the 15quid

gufct
21/06/2007, 4:08 PM
We have just won our last two games in the league the last one against the league leaders and Rovers are always a good draw in Galway but against that if it rains the fairweathers have an excuse. as my town said the supporters need to be up for this game from the off so get up there early and make some noise and get the flags up as well .

Conor H
21/06/2007, 4:45 PM
It would help if you put up your flags aswell.

Paddyfield
21/06/2007, 7:27 PM
It would help if you put up your flags aswell.

I was wondering why they weren't up too.

Is there still no sign of the "Never Send A Boy On A Man's Job" flag?

Paddyfield
21/06/2007, 7:41 PM
Shamrock Rovers Press Release from www.shamrockrovers.ie

Rovers away to Galway Utd 22nd June: Team News
Press Release Issued : 21 Jun 2007
TEAM NEWS
The Hoops are still without long-term injury victims Paul Shiels and Eric McGill, who were recently joined by captain Aidan Price, suffering from a broken metatarsil.

Barry Ferguson returns after a one-match ban while Danny O'Connor remains suspended. Ian Ryan and David Cassidy are both doubtful as they are suffering from the vomiting bug. Barry Murphy, following a collision during last Saturday's FAI Ford Cup tie against Sligo Rovers, is out.

"Everyone got a bit of a fright when Barry went down last Saturday," recalls Hoops' boss Pat Scully. "But thankfully it wasn't serious and he'll be back in 2-3 weeks.

"He's very stiff and extremely sore and will be undergoing a series of massage therapy. After that we'll ease him back into things and make sure he fully recovers."

Rovers' goalkeeping coach Stephen O'Brien will replace Murphy between the posts and Scully has every confidence in the former Shelbourne, Longford Town and Bohemian goalkeeper.

"Stephen's a goalkeeper of great experience," he says. "Even when he came on against Sligo last Saturday he did a fine job for us and he'll fit in very comfortably."

WHAT SCULLY SAYS . . .
About the Hoops' on-going injuries:
"It's typical of what's been happening to us all season – just when we get Barry Ferguson back, Barry Murphy is out for a few weeks. We keep losing key players.

"We've regularly had to deal with having to be without four or five players and it's just something we have to deal with. It's frustrating but it's not an excuse."

About the FAI Ford Cup tie v Sligo Rovers:
"Last week was most disappointing. We were soft. Brittle. I know we'd some young lads out there, but they still had a job to do and the team as a whole failed to do it.

"We don't have a big squad, and most of our players are inexperienced at this level. But it was a case of doing a steady, basic job – and we simply didn't do it last week."

About Friday's game against Galway United:
"Galways is a tough place to go to and they're a tough team to play against. We'll have to be strong enough physiaccly and mentally to go down there and do a job.

"We all have to go there as a team and as individuals and be very strong – and that includes me. We want to make up for the disappointment of last week's FAI Cup exit."

ENDS

Last Five League Games
W W W L W

Last Five – all competitions
L W W W L

League Scorers
7 - Tadhg Purcell
3 - Gerard Rowe
2 - Robbie Kelleher
1 – David Cassidy, Barry Ferguson

FAI Ford Cup scorers
1 – Tadhg Purcell, Andy Myler

League Cup Scorers
2 – Andy Myler
1 – Wayne Colbert, David Cassidy

Clean sheets
9 out of 13 in Premier Division (11 out of 16 in all competitions)

Next up for Rovers
Fri June 29 Shamrock Rovers v Bohemians, Tolka Park (8 pm)
Tue Jul 3 (League Cup) Shamrock Rovers v Athlone Town, Tolka Park (8pm)
Fri Jul 6 Longford Town v Shamrock Rovers, Flancare Park ( 7.45pm)
Tickets for all Shamrock Rovers home league games are available through Ticketmaster at outlets nationwide and at www.ticketmaster.ie

Results so far this season
Mar 09: UCD 0 Rovers 0
Mar 16: Rovers (1) 2 Longford Town 0
Mar 30: Rovers (0) 1 Galway Utd 0
Apr 03: Bohemians (0) 2 Rovers (1) 1
Apr 06: Bray Wanderers 0 Rovers (1) 2
Apr 08: Rovers (0) 1 Dundalk 0 (League Cup)
Apr 13: Cork City 0 Rovers 0
Apr 20: Rovers (0) 1 Drogheda Utd (0) 2
Apr 27: Saint Patrick's Athletic (1) 2 Rovers (0) 1
May 04: Rovers (0) 1 Sligo Rovers 0
May 08: Drogheda United 0 Rovers (2) 3 (League Cup)
May 14: Derry City 1 Rovers 0
May 18: Rovers (1) 1 Waterford Utd (1) 1 Game abandoned after 52 mins
May 25: Drogheda Utd 0 Rovers (1) 2
May 29: Rovers (1) 2 Cork City 0
Jun 1: Rovers (0) 1 Bray Wanderers 0
Jun 16: Rovers (1) 2 Sligo Rovers (2) 3 (FAI Ford Cup)

Patrick Dunne
21/06/2007, 9:21 PM
gufct was in Italy for the last home game, thats why his flags weren't up.
damogufc was also abroad.

Very poor effort at the Harps game regarding flags. None.
There are always at least 30-40 young (and not so young) lads in Section A.
The tifo flags are left in front of Section A, all it takes is two people to wave them for 30 seconds.

The drumming and the vocal support are always brilliant, but we need more colour.

Get your flags out for the lads !

gufct
22/06/2007, 7:33 AM
Thanks PA i usually give them to Damo if im away but he was away as well but I suppose some people just love having a pop.

Tir Oilean
22/06/2007, 9:17 AM
According the official website this game is a cup match!!! Woops!!! But worryingly is Alan Kelly is ref.....

Mr A
22/06/2007, 9:36 AM
According the official website this game is a cup match!

I can't believe this has been up for several minutes and a Limerick, Dundalk or UCD fan hasn't made a joke about GU doing a special cup DVD and being admitted to the next round! :)

FarmHoop
22/06/2007, 8:53 PM
I suppose draw is fair, but if purcell had his shootin boots on it could have been over at half time

damoGUFC
22/06/2007, 10:29 PM
Fair result i think but once again GU concede a late goal..its becoming a habit!:mad: Overall 1-1 is prob right. Good crowd, good atmosphere both in foxes and during the match and fair play to the rovers fans! a good bunch of supporters!:)

Paddyfield
22/06/2007, 10:37 PM
MATCH REPORT FROM www.shamrockrovers.ie

The Hoops left Terryland Park with a deserved point after Tadhg Purcell notched up his 8th goal of the season to cancel out Derek Glynns opener for the home side. Rovers had dominated the second half and should have been ahead before Glynns strike.

Stephen O'Brien deputised for Barry Murphy in goal and had to take an early catch after 3 minutes. Lester then blasted a free-kick over the bar but the Hoops got into the game a minute later when Barrett shot over the bar. Cassidy then almost found Purcell with a low cross. The Cassidy\Purcell combination almost worked in the 13th minute but the Hoops top scorer headed a good opportunity straight at Rogers.

A miss-kick from Pender saw Glynn bearing down on goal after 19 minutes but his lob over O'Brien went the wrong side of the post. O'Brien then saved Morans snap shot in the box. Purcell sent Rowe away down the left on 28 minutes but his cross was well defended by Charles. Cassidy then sent a free-kick over the bar from the edge of the box.

Rovers best chance of the half fell to Purcell from Charles weak header in the 36th minute but he shot into the side netting. The Rovers number nine had another good chance in the 40th minute when his shot was palmed over the bar by Rogers after O'Connor had done well to get a cross in.

The Hoops started the second half well with Barretts cross finding Purcell after 5 minutes but his header missed the target. Ferguson then met Cassidys free-kick but again the header was off target. A great run by Purcell in the 59th minute from the half-way line right into the Galway box finished with a shot just wide of the far post but Ger Rowe was better placed in the centre of the box. Glynn went close for the home side in the 67th minute but his shot from an angle went wide.

Rovers were punished in the 84th minute when Russell played Glynn in on the right and he coolly slipped the ball over the advancing O'Brien to give Galway an undeserved lead. Myler was immediately introduced and Rogers did well two minutes later to claim Purcells cross under pressure from the Hoops sub. Rovers were rewarded with a minute of stoppage time left when Rowes persistence set up Cassidy to cross deep for Ferguson to head across goal and Purcell to apply a clinical finish to draw the Hoops level

gloryglorygufc
22/06/2007, 11:47 PM
If we played a bit of passing football and stopped the endless hoofing it forward we might have a chance of winning a home game - 8 fcvking months.
Cousins - sort it out rapid.
Russell and Reggie outstanding again. Too many other not up to it.

geezer
23/06/2007, 7:16 AM
being carried, O brien had his hands on his hips when the full back crossed that ball over for the rovers goal, Cooke and morans first touch is really woeful. Russler regi and wes excellent. the fonging balls up jack charlton style football is pointless especially at home

corbyeire
23/06/2007, 10:19 AM
ive noticed a lot of our conceeded goals come as a result of - wingers not closing down - then pretend to be blameless

thought tony had made good changes - played well enough 1st half - then back to hoof ball for all of the second

draw fair result - but christ why cant we keep someone out for the last five mins - how many late goals is it now???

o reilly in fairness to him had one of his best games for us - he actually defeneded well last night - sure he is slow - but he actually won a lot of headers - cut out a few crucial passes - and actually passed short to derek a few times

foley had an absolute stinker couldnt connect a pass and always seemed to intercept the ball into the path of the oncoming rovers player

lester cannot kick a ball true - wes was bad also - defended alright though

russell covered some amount of ground - cookie made a few runs as did derek - but again when it should be passed he takes it on again

reggie was quiet but solid

rogers came flying off the line again we he didnt need to - but good stops otherwise

barry took a while to realise he has to challenge to get the ball

glynn was feeding off scraps - but he really took his goal well

subs - tracey at least was looking for a pass
collie defending headers on the opposition 18 yard line - again!
mckenna solid as usual

mypost
23/06/2007, 10:22 AM
draw fair result - but christ why cant we keep someone out for the last five mins - how many late goals is it now???

Tony would know a fair bit about us scoring last minute goals, he did it himself for years. :p

See yis lads again next season.

hoopy
23/06/2007, 11:06 AM
Enjoyable as usual(actually slept in a car after the pub-a first for me). From a Galway perspective you have a few decent players but imop are not using them enough, lost count the amount of times the ball was just lumped forward to an underused Glynn.

De Town
23/06/2007, 12:03 PM
From a neutral point of view, I thought Galway were lucky to get a point. Looked poor at the back, especially in the first half, and if Purcell was on form at all, Rovers would have won comfortably. Definately a better point for Galway then Rovers, despite the last minute goal.

2 good finishes for the goals aswell.

Ceirtlis
23/06/2007, 12:44 PM
If we played a bit of passing football and stopped the endless hoofing it forward we might have a chance of winning a home game - 8 fcvking months.
Cousins - sort it out rapid.
Russell and Reggie outstanding again. Too many other not up to it.

Its been long ball for alot longer than 8 months. Id say it is just a safety first tactic to be honest. Tony probably doesnt trust central midfield not to lose the ball in central midfield as it exposes the back 4 although hoofing it up to Barry Moran when he is being covered by 2 defenders is not the way to score goals.
Shamrock Rovers were the better team last night to be honest. We only had the 3 Glynn chances and apart from that very little pressure or anything. I thought Rogers was excellant in goals, very safe handling and commanding when he needed to be. It was a brilliant finish by Glynn for the goal. Derek O'Brien was his usual self, good on the ball but absolutely no end product. Id like to see stats for the amount of goals and assists he has got while playing for Gufc, very few id say. It doesnt help having him on the same wing as Reilly either because he is not that great in defence. All in all it was a good team performance and a draw wasnt a bad result. I was impressed by how good Shamrock Rovers were last night, id say they will finish in the top 5 this season.

gloryglorygufc
23/06/2007, 4:57 PM
Its been long ball for alot longer than 8 months. Id say it is just a safety first tactic to be honest. Tony probably doesnt trust central midfield not to lose the ball in central midfield as it exposes the back 4 although hoofing it up to Barry Moran when he is being covered by 2 defenders is not the way to score goals.
Then, dare i say it, it might be time for the board to consider their options with the manager.
If he doesn't trust players he chose to offer pro contracts, then he has fundamentaly failed in his job, imho.
As far as i can see we are playing no better than when Stephen Lally got the push.
Tactics are rubbish, we have a speed merchant up front, who is not blessed with great height, so what do we do? Lump it up to him of course.
Some of the players we are paying should not be let next nor near a shirt again.
Galway provided 3 starting players to a recent Irish Junior international. I defy anyone to tell me that they perform at a worse standard than we saw last night.

gilberto_eire
23/06/2007, 5:37 PM
Then, dare i say it, it might be time for the board to consider their options with the manager.
If he doesn't trust players he chose to offer pro contracts, then he has fundamentaly failed in his job, imho.
As far as i can see we are playing no better than when Stephen Lally got the push.
Tactics are rubbish, we have a speed merchant up front, who is not blessed with great height, so what do we do? Lump it up to him of course.
Some of the players we are paying should not be let next nor near a shirt again.
Galway provided 3 starting players to a recent Irish Junior international. I defy anyone to tell me that they perform at a worse standard than we saw last night.

i agree with ya(just waiting now for someone to have a go at me for this)
TC hasnt proved anything IMO.

ppl can bat on about the sequence of results last year but 2 other teams did it too as it wasnt a great division 1 and its plain to see again this year as dundalk are making bits of everyone there!.

he made a mess of the pre-season squad. we have a below adverage mid-fielder playing center back now ffs!!. reilly and moran would do well to get a game for most top junior teams around town and cookie is only a decent 1st division player(the best of the 3 IMO).

why were we playing long ball with barry moran as the target man??.... was it not plain to see after 5mins he wasnt winning anything and to change it around??
why wasnt billy made to start as target man he's a tailor made replacement??.

i can honestly say a top manager installed at the start of the season would see us at least mid-table(as things considered about the club.)
anyone who says thats not true is kidding themselves!!.
no other player frm Glynn has scored in nearly 2mths(the pen against derry)

any manager who goes into a campaign with barry as their top striker(0 goals in 14+ games now) needs there head examined. he barely played him himself last yr!.

lets just see how the new players go 1st but if there not up to much either he has to go..... 3 go down next yr and we cant afford to be one of them!

Ceirtlis
24/06/2007, 2:59 AM

ppl can bat on about the sequence of results last year but 2 other teams did it too as it wasnt a great division 1 and its plain to see again this year as dundalk are making bits of everyone there!.

he made a mess of the pre-season squad. we have a below adverage mid-fielder playing center back now ffs!!. reilly and moran would do well to get a game for most top junior teams around town and cookie is only a decent 1st division player(the best of the 3 IMO).

why were we playing long ball with barry moran as the target man??.... was it not plain to see after 5mins he wasnt winning anything and to change it around??

i can honestly say a top manager installed at the start of the season would see us at least mid-table(as things considered about the club.)

any manager who goes into a campaign with barry as their top striker(0 goals in 14+ games now) needs there head examined. he barely played him himself last yr!.

lets just see how the new players go 1st but if there not up to much either he has to go..... 3 go down next yr and we cant afford to be one of them!

Its easy to say that but who wants to sign for us in all fairness. Bohs are apparently offering 3k to a feen from sligo so how can we compete with that. If we finish clear of the relegation spots this year it will be a success no doubt a bout it.

Claret Murph
24/06/2007, 5:02 AM
As soon as the team was read out i knew we didn't have a chance of winning the game , now I have had a go at Barry & Cookie in the past but they did try very hard for the first 30 minutes then both of them seemed to drift out of the game . Where we lost out was midfield which was really missing Murphy I noted a few times where the ball was sent up the our front two only to be headed back to the midfield area where it seemed to be a void with none of our players pushing forward . Both teams were below par and the game was lacking a touch of flair until Glynn scored then could we hang on alass not to be again . I would have taken a draw at half time but at the end I felt down and out with only a point , make to bones about it Shams deserved a draw but I wish we could have got the 3 points at home to get the monkey off our backs

gilberto_eire
24/06/2007, 11:33 AM
Its easy to say that but who wants to sign for us in all fairness. Bohs are apparently offering 3k to a feen from sligo so how can we compete with that. If we finish clear of the relegation spots this year it will be a success no doubt a bout it.

well it cant be said that better players for the positions of moran,reilly and cookie were completly un-available.... look at rovers up in 4th, they came up with us, didnt do as much in the window and stayed full-time....why?
because Scully is a class manager and if the likes of him were here frm the start of the season we wouldnt find ourselves in a situation like now........disagree??
i.e
no other score'r from Glynn since start of may
no wins at home since last season
knocked out of the cup by lowly Harps
a knack for late goals and sloppy set plays(i think we have yet to even score one)
going into a season with a junior player as your goalscorer

the last one is the one that really just settles it for me anyway!!.

i think all things considered a draw with drogs will be a good result. lets hope its not the mini-bus(van) going up and that we get a good crowd!!.

Demoshield
24/06/2007, 1:54 PM
we finished the game with
Rogers Reggi O'Reilly Wes Lester McKenna O'Brien Tracy James Glynn Moran.
Very few knew what they were doing or what position they were playing in. Thats why we conceeded the late goal.
It's easy to shout abuse at the players,it's the manager who sends them out to play in positions they don't know how to play in. Everybody gave 110% Friday night its not their fault they can't play the position they are picked for or simply aren't good enough but get picked every week. If a couple of defenders are not signed then Cousins position needs to be looked at.

corbyeire
24/06/2007, 3:31 PM
i dont know about that demo - sure they were all over the place - but wheres wes the captain on the field - or the more senior players - there was no shouting or talking or trying to organise things

some werent giving the 100% at all in my opinion

Tir Oilean
25/06/2007, 7:52 AM
but wheres wes the captain on the field -

Wes is a poor choice as captain. The guy is very quiet doesnt shout at anyone from what I can see. He's no Billy Clery. We were at 6s and 7s throughout Fridays game and I am getting extremely worried about the future. OK a point against a top 5 team was fair enough but I was sure our luck had changed when Glynn scored so late on in a game we deserved nothing from. There were people walking out with 5mins to go saying it was going to be a draw ..... how right they were. We are signing players for all the wrong positions imo. We now have a packed midfield, 5 strikers and a light sprinkling of defenders.

gufct
25/06/2007, 9:11 AM
we finished the game with
Rogers Reggi O'Reilly Wes Lester McKenna O'Brien Tracy James Glynn Moran.
Very few knew what they were doing or what position they were playing in. Thats why we conceeded the late goal.
It's easy to shout abuse at the players,it's the manager who sends them out to play in positions they don't know how to play in. Everybody gave 110% Friday night its not their fault they can't play the position they are picked for or simply aren't good enough but get picked every week. If a couple of defenders are not signed then Cousins position needs to be looked at.

The only change that Tony made was Collie for Foley the other 2 were injuries both looked quite bad. We were very lucky to get a draw but were still only 3 points of Derry and UCD which would put is in the top half of the table . Some of the rantings on here are so negative as to be laughable. I know ill get slaughtered for this but as long as we stay up this year ill be very happy and people should look at the positives so far this season which include Gary Rogers, Reggi and Derek Glynn and we still have Chris Armstrong to come back plus 3/4 new signings and a strong under 21 setup and thats just on the field.

We also will have a ground to be proud of and a tremendous showcase on the 1st August which will see the club break even this season and have the ability to build on this years squad to be even stronger next season.

Terry
25/06/2007, 9:15 AM
well I for one agree 100% with you GUFCT

Im also happy with murphy form this year when you look at how much of a dip he had last season.

Tir Oilean
25/06/2007, 9:21 AM
Those teams might be just three points ahead but dont the teams below us have games in hand on us. I still think we can do it but we definitely need to buck ourselves up a fair bit. Concentration seems to fade towards the end of the games. crowds are vital for our survival and they are trailing off too I heard a 1060 for last fri though i thought it was more tbh.

Just found an official attendance of 1964 so I was right!

Terry
25/06/2007, 9:26 AM
the teams that have games in hand are games against the top clubs and mainly all away to them too. I never look at games in hand as its more important to have the points on the board.

MyTown
25/06/2007, 9:30 AM

Stephen resigned. He wasn't pushed. AFAIK the Board and Nick Leeson in particular tried to get him to reconsider. But IMHO he did th eright thing. We were playing awful stuff at the time an dthe players had no confidence in him.

A few fair points here Gilberto except that IMHO Barry was never installed as top striker and Billy seemed to me to lose interest once he wasn't starting from the word "go". Thankfully we seem to be benefitting from his blossoming career in management and hopefully he will step up to the plate in years to come when Tony moves on.

Ceirtlis has hit the nail on the financial head. Very few managers could cope with the financial competition from the likes of Bohs. I think Tony is very realistic about the players he has signed, but his job is much more than putting a team out on th epitch - it's to put the team out and not go out of business.

I'm tired of the argument about all of the class acts there are in Galway junior football. Many of them just don't want to know. Some of them are happy to stand on the side and sneer rather than put their great ability on show for a couple of seasons. The most recent example I'm aware of is Tony Folan - who was definitely capable of EL Premier standard, and served the club well in the past, but just didn't want to know when the manager gave him an opportunity to get involved again.

Oh and about the criticism of Wes as captain: At the start of the season when the squad was put together who from last season was still there? Billy, Derek O'Brien, Barry Moran, Alan Gough, Alan Murphy, Wes. IMO the manager wasn't figuring on BIlly, Barry or Alan G as part of his first team plans. The prospect of Derek O'B as makes me smile and Murphs for all his brilliant service to the club over the years has never shown himself to be a leader on the field. Where else was the manager to turn? And who would you like to see as captain now???????????

Tir Oilean
25/06/2007, 9:45 AM
point taken My town but he's still not Captain material. I think Collie James would be a good captain having talked to him recently, Foley is fairly vocal and he certainly gives his all in every game and is somewhere near the mould of Clery too. On Tonys signings it seems he could make the club a fair few quid if some of the players move along. Regi and Derek look like theyre set for a bright future Derek should be given a new contract to tie him down as in Regi's case.