PDA

View Full Version : professionalism

flynny
06/03/2003, 3:49 PM
just read shelbourne are off 2 spain 4 a weeks hols n training. it always ceases to amaze me how well they run thier club considering there small fanbase.they have been 2 t forefront 4 yrs in this sense along with pats 4 a while a few years back when they were successful on the pitch.
it just goes to show what massive potential we have with the support we have and new ones this yr no doubt with dolan spearheading us along with lennox.2 right dolan is excited he knows the population we have here and the fact that cork people will come out and support a winning team and he has a whole city behind him. i have been talking to loads of people that never watch el games but a lot are excited by dolan.
i see also shels are playing linfield in belfast monday night- a brave move indeed (think something 2 do with fenlon having played up there). they also play bray and athlone b4 season starts it would be good 2 c us play limerick maybe rather than msl teams to get us right 4 our fast approaching opening spectacular against pats????????????

Verdi
06/03/2003, 3:53 PM
it would be good 2 c us play limerick maybe rather than msl teams to get us right 4 our fast approaching opening spectacular against pats????????????

It says in Citynet that we're playing Limerick on Sunday in UL... I head someone say today that twas on at 1pm

Shed End John
06/03/2003, 3:58 PM
Originally posted by flynny
it always ceases to amaze me how well they run thier club considering there small fanbase.

Their fanbase might be small, but, their backers are, and always have been, BIG and generous.

flynny
06/03/2003, 4:01 PM
that game should be useful i think that maybe tying in with the fitness programme dolan has lined up with that bloke he had at pats and who looks after the munster rugby squad.

Colm
06/03/2003, 4:30 PM
Originally posted by flynny
just read shelbourne are off 2 spain 4 a weeks hols n training. it always ceases to amaze me how well they run thier club To be honest I'd see that as a complete waste of money. Basically they are paying for the players to have a little holiday.
A training camp somewhere in Ireland would cost a lot lot less and would be just as productive imo, they will be using the same coaches, doing the same training routines etc.

Shed End John
06/03/2003, 4:34 PM
Originally posted by Colm

A training camp somewhere in Ireland would cost a lot lot less and would be just as productive imo,

Except the chances of their players catching a cold would dramatically increase by having the training camp here!!:D

TommyT
06/03/2003, 5:49 PM
Originally posted by Colm
To be honest I'd see that as a complete waste of money. Basically they are paying for the players to have a little holiday.

Players get fitter a lot quicker in warm weather though, I think that's the thinking behind it.

Peadar
06/03/2003, 7:30 PM
Originally posted by TommyT
Players get fitter a lot quicker in warm weather though.
That is only useful if you want to have your fitness levels high for a particular game immediately after returning from the trip.
Let's say like Farnborough Town in the FA Cup against Arsenal.
Or to maintain fitness when you have a break in league games like Blackburn Rovers.
When you're preparing for a league campaign it's not going to provide any great or long term benefit.

If I was in a position to invest money in Cork City FC and they told me they were off to Spain I'd recall the investment.
What I'd like to see is the development of a modern training facility including a full gym, a full size grass playing surface, all weather pitches, spas, treatment rooms and a large indoor playing area.
It would have catering facilities, which would provide the food needed by professional athletes.
The separate areas of the facility could be made available to the public to provide additional income to cover the running cost.
5-A-Side Leagues would make use of the all weather pitches and a gym designed for athletes would be popular with the fitness fanatics. It could even incorporate a sports injury clinic, which would also be open to the public with priority being given to members of the City squad.
CCFC Season Ticket holders could be given a discount on fees at the complex.
Now that would do far more for fitness than a week in Spain.
Sorry for going on but does anyone agree?

Colm
06/03/2003, 7:43 PM
Spot on Peadar, that is the kind of thing that the big el clubs should be working towards.
As far as I'm concerned this week in Spain lark is a joke, it is going to cost Shels a fair bit and they wont really get much benefit from it. As I said above, the Shels players will treat this as a free holiday (which is what it is I suppose). I just think it is a needless expense and very bad business on the part of Shels.

SÓC
06/03/2003, 7:46 PM
Originally posted by Peadar
That is only useful if you want to have your fitness levels high for a particular game immediately after returning from the trip.
Let's say like Farnborough Town in the FA Cup against Arsenal.
Or to maintain fitness when you have a break in league games like Blackburn Rovers.
When you're preparing for a league campaign it's not going to provide any great or long term benefit.

If I was in a position to invest money in Cork City FC and they told me they were off to Spain I'd recall the investment.
What I'd like to see is the development of a modern training facility including a full gym, a full size grass playing surface, all weather pitches, spas, treatment rooms and a large indoor playing area.
It would have catering facilities, which would provide the food needed by professional athletes.
The separate areas of the facility could be made available to the public to provide additional income to cover the running cost.
5-A-Side Leagues would make use of the all weather pitches and a gym designed for athletes would be popular with the fitness fanatics. It could even incorporate a sports injury clinic, which would also be open to the public with priority being given to members of the City squad.
CCFC Season Ticket holders could be given a discount on fees at the complex.

The beauty of a plan like that is it would most likely turn a profit, health centres and five-a-side pitches always seem to be in use. City by themselves wouldnt be able to fund it by themselves, need some kind of partnership deal.

Peadar
06/03/2003, 8:14 PM
Originally posted by SÓCcfc
City by themselves wouldnt be able to fund it by themselves, need some kind of partnership deal.

Well since I'm giving a few quid for the flags I suppose I could throw a few quid towards the Training/Fitness Academy :D

Seriously though this wouldn't be any kind of donation project. It would be a business investment and with a motivated business consortium it could be a nice little earner.
What were the winning numbers in last nights Lotto? ;)

Neil
06/03/2003, 10:56 PM
I agree 100% Peadar, well said. This is the kind of long term investment CCFC need to be making (and Brian Lennox definitely looks to be on the right track) rather than spending thousands on a week in the sun for the sake of getting a few points at the start of the season. Both would be ideal but for CCFC right now I'd go with Peadar's way of thinking.

joe
07/03/2003, 8:52 AM

dunno, but it was won in midleton!

James
07/03/2003, 9:18 AM

well now peadar the winning numbers in last nights lotto are no use to ya unless you have time machine so you can go back and fill out the winner.. well do ya have one do ya??

what u really need is the numbers for next week's lotto
get onto bernie.. he's always able to sort ppl out with that sort of thing

:D

Peadar
07/03/2003, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by James
what u really need is the numbers for next week's lotto
get onto bernie..

No offence to the Cork City FC Lotto but I was thinking more along the lines of this (http://www.national-lottery.co.uk/player/p/home/home.do)

flynny
07/03/2003, 1:50 PM
i think it may well have been some sponsor or somebody who may have funded or part funded this trip to spain- but i still think it shows good initiative as it will bond the team while there away which i think is generally the main point as well as the training(unless its saipan where it can have the opposite effect :D).

fitness is going to be a key to a a championship that will be longer than last and city well struggled last year.thats where full time will kick in cos players have to work and then train is not going to work if other teams are at it full time( big derek at bohs on the paper saying that last 2 games of season saying he was ******ed and he didnt even play all season dats why kenny demanded he by signing full time this season).

ian
07/03/2003, 1:59 PM
flynny i agree with wath you are saying may be big derek will come back to cork city next year.:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

flynny
07/03/2003, 2:05 PM
unfortunately he has got leave from work and he has told kenny he signing full time - he would have been my choice to partner murray - but no doubt he will comeback to city in yr or 2 n he will be a more complete player than b4

goalside
07/03/2003, 8:05 PM
derek and murray would have been great together, altough daly and murray or daly and napier would also be good.

patsh
08/03/2003, 10:20 AM
Originally posted by goalside
derek and murray would have been great together, altough daly and murray or daly and napier would also be good.
Well you never know, goalside, Dolan might ask Liam to do a job for him in the back four....:D
Interesting to see you think daly and Murray would be good together..do you think Dolan should try out this combination to see what way they play together?.....;)

Badweather Fan
08/03/2003, 4:17 PM
Originally posted by goalside
SSsssssssssssssssshhhhh!