PDA

View Full Version : National Anthem at GAA games

pete
17/06/2007, 1:22 PM
Any chance the GAA could cut down on the cheering & shouting before the National Anthem is finished?

Republicans me arse. Its disrespectful & insulting.

:(

The GAA should take a leaf out of the way the Anthem was sung for foreign games at Croke Park in particular the Ireland v England rugby international.

Lim till i die
17/06/2007, 1:56 PM
Any chance the GAA could cut down on the cheering & shouting before the National Anthem is finished?

Jesus any reason to have a go at the GAA........

How many Cork fans do you reckon are in Thurles today?? :rolleyes:

The GAA should take a leave out of the way the Anthem was sung for foreign games at Croke Park in particular the Ireland v England rugby international

Yes, every sport should aspire to a rugby type athmosphere.............

Docboy
17/06/2007, 1:57 PM
Yep cos that never happened at an Ireland football game!

micls
17/06/2007, 2:15 PM
Dont care when or where it happens it is disrespectful. Ffs what difference will a few seconds make.

Its more obvious at GAA games because of the frequency its played.

Ive been at plenty of GAA games and have never joined in with it. Sing/Mumble/stay quiet til the end of the anthem then go mental if you want

Lim till i die
17/06/2007, 2:16 PM
Ive been at plenty of GAA games and have never joined in with it. Sing/Mumble/stay quiet til the end of the anthem then go mental if you want

Also the fact that it's only a blinkin song

I mean, what does it really represent in this day and age??

micls
17/06/2007, 2:21 PM

Obviously not much to you but it means a lot to others.

I think all national anthems should be respected but thats just a personal view.

Granted the words may be outdated but I dont think thats really the point, its a symbolism thing, this is the song that was chosen to represent our country and I will espect it because of it. As I would any song that was named as our anthem.

Lim till i die
17/06/2007, 2:25 PM
Obviously not much to you but it means a lot to others.

Is it really that upsetting?? Or is it just another (pathetic) stick to attempt to beat the GAA with??

I think all national anthems should be respected but thats just a personal view.

That is an absolute nonsense.

Off the top of my head, supposing you're a Croat and you're playing a match against Serbia. Would you respect their anthem??

micls
17/06/2007, 2:40 PM
Is it really that upsetting?? Or is it just another (pathetic) stick to attempt to beat the GAA with??

I have never used anyhting to beat the GAA considering Im a member of a GAA club and a player :rolleyes: Who said anything about it ebing upsetting. No ones breaking into tears or anything I simply find it disrespectful

That is an absolute nonsense.

Off the top of my head, supposing you're a Croat and you're playing a match against Serbia. Would you respect their anthem??

I would hope that I would yes. Of course its kind of hard to imagine the actual situation. As i said i believe all anthems should be respected. How is that nonsense?

I didnt claim that Croats believe all anthems should be respected I said I did :rolleyes:

Lim till i die
17/06/2007, 2:47 PM
No ones breaking into tears or anything I simply find it disrespectful

I don't

Who's right?? Who knows??

Is it important?? Nope

I was just responding to yet another rubbish anti-GAA thread, didn't mean to offend anyones sensibilities if i did

micls
17/06/2007, 2:53 PM
I don'tFair enough

Who's right?? Who knows??

Is it important?? Nope Not to you.

I was just responding to yet another rubbish anti-GAA thread, didn't mean to offend anyones sensibilities if i did

Obviously every thread that mentions disagreeing with something within the GAA is anti-GAA.....Jesus Christ cant people just have opinions on individual things without being pro or anti.

Offended anyone? :D Why would I be offended because you disagree?

I was just responding to yet another rubbish "this is anti-GAA" post, didn't mean to offend anyones sensibilities if i did.

GavinZac
17/06/2007, 3:50 PM
Jesus Christ
you have offended my sensibilities

Lim till i die
17/06/2007, 5:17 PM
Fair enough
Not to you.

Obviously every thread that mentions disagreeing with something within the GAA is anti-GAA.....Jesus Christ cant people just have opinions on individual things without being pro or anti.

Offended anyone? :D Why would I be offended because you disagree?

I was just responding to yet another rubbish "this is anti-GAA" post, didn't mean to offend anyones sensibilities if i did.

Okay could have been a bit clearer this morning

Suffering from (an ironically enough GAA inspired) hangover

My point (I think) is that it's a bit unfair focusing on the GAA.

It's Irish sports fans in general who are the problem, the majority of whom are day tripping yokels

One thing I would say though is that I don't think the national anthem and that old IRA-drilling parade before every game are really necessary

It smacks of the worst kind of Republicanism

micls
17/06/2007, 5:22 PM
Okay could have been a bit clearer this morning

Suffering from (an ironically enough GAA inspired) hangover

My point (I think) is that it's a bit unfair focusing on the GAA.

It's Irish sports fans in general who are the problem, the majority of whom are day tripping yokels

One thing I would say though is that I don't think the national anthem and that old IRA-drilling parade before every game are really necessary

It smacks of the worst kind of Republicanism

I get your point.Thats why I said in my first ppost in all situations but it is more obvious at GAA games.

Personally Id prefer if the anthem was just kept for finals and internationals. its a bit much every game.

paul_oshea
18/06/2007, 9:36 AM
i think lim was more having a go at pete than anyone else, as at every turn or opportunity he is gaa bashing.

pete
18/06/2007, 11:04 AM
i think lim was more having a go at pete than anyone else, as at every turn or opportunity he is gaa bashing.

Is my point not valid?

Maybe if people could acknowledge the point then maybe that would be the first step to preventing it?

:o

superfrank
18/06/2007, 11:50 AM
What exactly were the crowd doing in the first place pete?

paul_oshea
18/06/2007, 11:51 AM
just like crowd trouble at EL games pete, that is a very good point.

TBH it doesnt bother me much, because its within Ireland, if it was outside in a competitive international of any kind then it would.

The funny thing is that at 2.30 in the morning it gets more respect than at these matches....

pete
18/06/2007, 1:06 PM
What exactly were the crowd doing in the first place pete?

The way opposition fans try to out do each other by cheering for their team before the end of the anthem so the anthem is drowned out. It starts with maybe 30 seconds to go & seems to start earlier every year.

paul_oshea
18/06/2007, 1:09 PM
The way opposition fans try to out do each other by cheering for their team before the end of the anthem so the anthem is drowned out. It starts with maybe 30 seconds to go & seems to start earlier every year.

pete, why do you watch these matches when you dont even like GAA? OR do you just watch the first few minutes so you can have something to give out about?

passinginterest
18/06/2007, 1:12 PM
I was in Croke Park yesterday and I must say I was surprised that the cheering didn't start until nearly the very last word of the anthem. I have a feeling it's because they had the words up on the big screen and everyone was concentrating on trying to read them. Makes a change from mumbling and pretending you know them. :)

superfrank
18/06/2007, 1:15 PM
If they start before the end of the words, I'd consider it disrespectful but if they start it just after, I don't mind.

pete
18/06/2007, 1:20 PM
pete, why do you watch these matches when you dont even like GAA?

I had the TV on in the background when i think Donegal v Tyrone came on...

bennocelt
18/06/2007, 4:59 PM

Are you serious?

John83
18/06/2007, 5:51 PM
Are you serious?
Why wouldn't he be?

Lim till i die
18/06/2007, 8:48 PM
Are you serious?

Yes...................... :confused:

geysir
18/06/2007, 11:37 PM

:(

The GAA should take a leaf out of the way the Anthem was sung for foreign games at Croke Park in particular the Ireland v England rugby international.
Republican has nothing to do with it.
You are dead right about the cheering being disrespectful and insulting, the humming is bad enough.
IMO, AnbF should be restricted to all Ireland finals and maybee at provincial finals.
You can't reasonably compare anthems at inter county games to the Internationals, still should be respected though.

bennocelt
19/06/2007, 10:10 AM
Yes...................... :confused:

its our national anthem thats why,
i suppose you have no respect for our flag too (the one with the three colours by the way;)

endabob1
19/06/2007, 10:45 AM
Interesting topic, I wonder how many people would be in favour of a change in Anthem? "Mid Cannons roar & Rifles peal we'll chant a soldiers song" It's hardly the words for or representative of the "new" Ireland.
Personally I wouldn't be bothered if it changed, but what to would be the question.....

John83
19/06/2007, 11:09 AM
its our national anthem thats why,
i suppose you have no respect for our flag too (the one with the three colours by the way;)
Not everyone pays mindless respect to a few patches of colour just because it 'represents' the arbitrary nation state they were born in.

geysir
19/06/2007, 2:23 PM
Not everyone pays mindless respect to a few patches of colour just because it 'represents' the arbitrary nation state they were born in.
We are talking about mindfull respect and mindless disrespect.

John83
19/06/2007, 4:17 PM
Because of course there's nothing between.

Torn-Ado
19/06/2007, 4:41 PM
Interesting topic, I wonder how many people would be in favour of a change in Anthem? "Mid Cannons roar & Rifles peal we'll chant a soldiers song" It's hardly the words for or representative of the "new" Ireland.
Personally I wouldn't be bothered if it changed, but what to would be the question.....

Nationals anthems are outdated across the world but they're the national anthem. They wont change. Scotland, Sweden, American, Danish, all written in the past about historical wars etc.

You cant just change the anthem to suit a period of time Ffs

John83
19/06/2007, 4:55 PM
Why not (http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/News/Home%20News&id=64768&SUBCAT=Tribune/News/Home%20News)? ;)

I notice the Germans have changed the words to theirs for some reason. Hey, maybe that's the extreme case, but the Australians changed theirs - for some reason, they no longer want God to save their Queen! The Russians changed theirs too. They're no longer fans of the unbreakable union of the Soviet state, Lenin only knows why. The Ukranians changed theirs because they thought it was a bit too depressing. DEPRESSING? Bloody hell! At least it isn't a soldier's song.

On a lighter note, Bill Bailey thinks the British anthem needs to be changed.

WktxIqbGAj0

Torn-Ado
19/06/2007, 5:04 PM
Why not (http://www.tribune.ie/article.tvt?_scope=Tribune/News/Home%20News&id=64768&SUBCAT=Tribune/News/Home%20News)? ;)

I notice the Germans have changed the words to theirs for some reason. Hey, maybe that's the extreme case, but the Australians changed theirs - for some reason, they no longer want God to save their Queen! The Russians changed theirs too. They're no longer fans of the unbreakable union of the Soviet state, Lenin only knows why. The Ukranians changed theirs because they thought it was a bit too depressing. DEPRESSING? Bloody hell! At least it isn't a soldier's song.

On a lighter note, Bill Bailey thinks the British anthem needs to be changed (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WktxIqbGAj0).

All of those countries were going through massive changes in their country. End of Communism/Nazism etc. And Australia only got their own, not borrowing someone elses.

It just wouldnt be feasible to change the anthem.

superfrank
19/06/2007, 5:07 PM
I think the best way to make the anthem inoffensive is to remove the lyrics. Whoever wants to sing them can, if they can remember them. ;)

bennocelt
19/06/2007, 6:20 PM

no, you are right must countries dont have flags, or anthems or nations:rolleyes:

John83
19/06/2007, 6:36 PM
no, you are right must countries dont have flags, or anthems or nations:rolleyes:
You support the war in Iraq?

EDIT: Oh, wait, what I just wrote has no relevance at all to what I quoted. Silly me.

geysir
19/06/2007, 7:29 PM
Because of course there's nothing between.
You would have to explain better about the inbetween response bit.

In the context of the anthem being played at games, if you don't like the anthem or don't relate to it at all or feel down to your bones that you just happen to be born in this country because the stork ran out of steam, then what would be an appropriate response? - imo probably respectfull silence.

For me, I can respect our past, I don't live in it. National identity does not fit into just one uniform.

Superhoops
19/06/2007, 9:59 PM
I think the best way to make the anthem inoffensive is to remove the lyrics. Whoever wants to sing them can, if they can remember them. ;)

The whole point of an anthem is the lyrics, the music is secondary.

I may be old fashioned, but I take great pride in singing Amhran na bhFiann when it is played at any sporting event.

Whether you agree with the words is irrelevant, the national anthem of any country is something that every citizen of that country should be proud of.

When I lived in London watching GAA games in pubs on a Sunday, it used to irritate the english in the pub like mad, when the 'paddies' spontaneously got to their feet and stood for our national anthem, even if many of them did not sing it.

It disappoints me the quite large number of Irish people who do not know the words of AnbF.

A good friend of mine with whom I have being going to Ireland matches for twenty years or more, still does not know the words or makes no effort to read them from the programme or from the big screen at CP. Strangely enough, we went to a funeral recently and he was quite happy to pick up a hymn book and attempt to sing a hymn when he neither knew the words to or the tune!

Still, if people can't be bothered then that is up to themselves. I will be happy enough as long as at international soccer games and GAA games we never resort to 'Ireland's Call' or any other such condescending PC crap. I'd nearly rather sing GSTQ!

strangeirish
19/06/2007, 11:56 PM
I'd nearly rather sing GSTQ!
Easy there Superhoops. I can recommend a toll free helpline if you need it.:D

Dassa
20/06/2007, 11:47 AM
Nationals anthems are outdated across the world but they're the national anthem. They wont change. Scotland, Sweden, American, Danish, all written in the past about historical wars etc.

Rumour has it that scotland may be changing their N anthem at international football games. I for one would like to see NI change their N anthem as well. An anthemin my opinion is only a N anthem if it means something to the people from that country.

Superhoops
20/06/2007, 9:34 PM
Easy there Superhoops. I can recommend a toll free helpline if you need it.:D
Thanks, I'm all right now, I've taken my pills! :D

Lim till i die
21/06/2007, 12:43 AM

Said with far more eloquence than I could hope to muster

Dodge
21/06/2007, 12:49 AM

I doubt there's many watching a GAA game who think that way

Lim till i die
21/06/2007, 12:56 AM
I doubt there's many watching a GAA game who think that way

I'm one :):o

Dodge
21/06/2007, 1:02 AM
Yeah but your an arch-contrarian so its expected of you :D

paul_oshea
21/06/2007, 8:59 AM
exception to every case, is what dodge is trying to say lim.... ;)
....somehow though I reckon you will take exception to being an exception of every case :D

Lim till i die
21/06/2007, 3:26 PM
Yeah but your an arch-contrarian so its expected of you :D

Guilty :)

exception to every case, is what dodge is trying to say lim....
....somehow though I reckon you will take exception to being an exception of every case

D'uh

Although that explanation is exceptional :p

Dave77
04/07/2007, 8:23 PM
Only found this thread now but Im glad some one said this, the GAA go on about to be irish is to play GAA but the anthem is totally disrespected. Rugby fans are the most respectful and I think the irish football fans are heading the way of the GAA ("real Irish") fans.

superfrank
05/07/2007, 2:37 PM
I've been monitroing the anthems now and it is beginning to annoy me. The only incident I didn't hear it was at the Monaghan-Derry game where noone sang the lyrics.

But every other game, just before the last line, these eejits all start cheering. It annoys the hell outta me and I definitely consider it disrespectful. I don't watch Ireland international football games but at el cup finals, iirc, it hasn't happened that fans have started cheering before the lyrics are over.