PDA

View Full Version : Bertie at Tolka?

BohDiddley
17/06/2007, 10:05 AM
Last night, Bertie Ahern told Miriam O'Callaghan that he wouldn't be interested in serving as President. He said it wasn't his style; that he was more the type who enjoyed a few pints and went down to Croke Park... and Tolka Park.
Has anyone seen Bertie in 'ordinary fan' mode in Tolka in recent years? Has he become a Shels fan? Or is this spin?

Gareth
17/06/2007, 10:20 AM
He is a Drumcondra supporter. And Drums use to play there. At least he didn't say Old Trafford, even if he never stepped into Tolka that is better than saying Old Trafford.

bohsmug
17/06/2007, 10:22 AM
Did Bertie not say before that he was a Drumcondra fan and hasn't supported anyone since their demise?
He might go to tolka every now and then (don't think he does TBH) but I'm almost certain he said he was a Drumcondra fan.

EDIT: beat me to it

Fivesilver
17/06/2007, 10:58 AM
To be honest lads, isn't the Drumcondra thing just a bit of nonsense as well? A handy reason for not showing any interest whatsoever in domestic football, since "his" team aren't in the league anymore, and haven't been at any time during his public life.

bohsmug
17/06/2007, 11:37 AM
To be honest lads, isn't the Drumcondra thing just a bit of nonsense as well? A handy reason for not showing any interest whatsoever in domestic football, since "his" team aren't in the league anymore, and haven't been at any time during his public life.

It may be but if I was his age and from Drumcondra I'd have supported them. I think if anything Shels moving into Tolka park would of annoyed me. If Bohs went out of business and Shelbourne moved in to Dalymount and referred to it as "home" I'd be fairly sure I wouldn't just nip in for a look. It would sicken me.

Erstwhile Bóz
17/06/2007, 12:23 PM
Spot on, bohsmug.

I think I read something a while ago about Bertie actually buying Drumcondra or buying the name or something for a nominal price when they went bust.

BohDiddley
17/06/2007, 12:40 PM
He is a Drumcondra supporter. And Drums use to play there. At least he didn't say Old Trafford, even if he never stepped into Tolka that is better than saying Old Trafford.
I know he is a Drums supporter, but he wasn't talking about what he used to do .

pete
17/06/2007, 1:19 PM
Bertie is no bigger a sports supporter than your average person on the street. He uses it to portray the average joe image & the media love it. I don't deny he attends sports events but so too do hundreds of thousands of people.

Its very handy to support a team that have not existed for decades as no games to attend. Supporting the dubs is great too as could count the number of games available on your fingers.

He picks Manchester United as the most popular club in the country & his allegiances to Wolves & Hull are just bizarre.

Off Topic but did anyone else see him using picture of his new born grandchildren on the front of the Indo the week before last? I suppose he'd be the first to complain about media intrusion into his families life if it does not suit. :rolleyes:

kdjaC
17/06/2007, 2:59 PM
Have seen him there on a good few occasions, drinks in fagans pre match and gets dogs abuse from Pats and Shels fans :)

kdjac

CollegeTillIDie
17/06/2007, 7:45 PM
I am pleased Bertie , a self confessed ManUre supporter, gets dogs abuse from Pats and Shels fans cause you don't see Tony Blair supporting Barcelona or Nicolas Sarkozy supporting Bayern Munich now do you?:rolleyes:

BohsPartisan
17/06/2007, 7:47 PM
WHo does Sarkozy support?

sonofstan
17/06/2007, 7:53 PM
WHo does Sarkozy support?
On the evidence of this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uxb0JHqzlA) he's an enthusiastic supporter of whoever's buying

CollegeTillIDie
17/06/2007, 8:13 PM
I looked at the Nicolas Sarkozy video from YOU TUBE
He looks like Michel Platini's brother :D

red bellied
17/06/2007, 9:29 PM
Yeah couldnt even get into his local last night after the cup game. The doors were locked.

BohsPartisan
17/06/2007, 10:06 PM
Yeah couldnt even get into his local last night after the cup game. The doors were locked.

In case Ollie D was on the rampage? :D

Erstwhile Bóz
18/06/2007, 9:01 AM
Off Topic but did anyone else see him using picture of his new born grandchildren on the front of the Indo the week before last? I suppose he'd be the first to complain about media intrusion into his families life if it does not suit. :rolleyes:
How, pray, was he "using" his five-week-old grandchildren in a photo shoot after the general election? They were born in April. Surely he should have "used" them earlier, like every cynic in Ireland was expecting him to? Could have got the overall majority.

razor
18/06/2007, 10:08 AM
Yeah couldnt even get into his local last night after the cup game. The doors were locked.They were locked as well on Friday night, must be to keep out all the schooligans. :D
We don't go near the place anyway, Kennedys for us.

Dodge
18/06/2007, 10:15 AM
It may be but if I was his age and from Drumcondra I'd have supported them. I think if anything Shels moving into Tolka park would of annoyed me. If Bohs went out of business and Shelbourne moved in to Dalymount and referred to it as "home" I'd be fairly sure I wouldn't just nip in for a look. It would sicken me.

Someone obviously forgot the Home Farm in Tolka era. Easy enough to do

reder
18/06/2007, 11:41 AM
I am pleased Bertie , a self confessed ManUre supporter, gets dogs abuse from Pats and Shels fans cause you don't see Tony Blair supporting Barcelona or Nicolas Sarkozy supporting Bayern Munich now do you?:rolleyes:

Tony Blair is from Edinburgh, grew up in Durham and is a Aston Villa (Birmingham) fan. In Bertie's defence at least he shows an interest in the sport, unlike most of the others. If my local club died tomorrow and our rivals moved into our home, there is no way I would go to a game there.

reder
18/06/2007, 11:45 AM
Someone obviously forgot the Home Farm in Tolka era. Easy enough to do

I dont buy that Dodge. Home Farm is just up the road right?. Thats like telling me supporting the bitters if Liverpool went bust. Never gonna happen. Who would you support if Pats went bust.

Dodge
18/06/2007, 11:45 AM
Tony Blair is from Edinburgh, grew up in Durham and is a Aston Villa (Birmingham) fan. In Bertie's defence at least he shows an interest in the sport, unlike most of the others. If my local club died tomorrow and our rivals moved into our home, there is no way I would go to a game there.

Fairly certain Blair is a Newcastle fan (which would be fine for a bloke from Durham)

BohsPartisan
18/06/2007, 11:50 AM
I dont buy that Dodge. Home Farm is just up the road right?. Thats like telling me supporting the bitters if Liverpool went bust. Never gonna happen. Who would you support if Pats went bust.

Not really the same thing. Home farm were a junior club who made the step up to Senior Football in an attempt to replace the Drums, so it would be more like 'Pool going bust and Marine or someone moving into Anfield and playing league football.

Dodge
18/06/2007, 12:19 PM

Way to miss the point there fellah. I meant bohsmug forgot that fact that Home Farm played in Tolka for about 15 years before Shels moved in there.

I dont buy that Dodge. Home Farm is just up the road right?. Thats like telling me supporting the bitters if Liverpool went bust. Never gonna happen.
I was this close <> to having a laugh at your expense at the fact that they're both about the same distance from you (500 miles and a change of currency)

Poor Student
18/06/2007, 12:37 PM
Fairly certain Blair is a Newcastle fan (which would be fine for a bloke from Durham)

Yeah. I think he claimed to have watched Jackie Milburn on the terraces as a young boy, which is not possible.

pete
18/06/2007, 1:09 PM
Rovers had a promotion for free entry to all those ex-Rovers taxi driver supporters from the Milltown era. Maybe Shels should have a promotion for former Drums supporters including politicians? ;)

Saint MacDara
18/06/2007, 4:45 PM
Free entry to eircome league games for politicans,they show their brown envelopes at the gate:)

John83
18/06/2007, 5:56 PM

Yeah. I think he claimed to have watched Jackie Milburn on the terraces as a young boy, which is not possible.
That's right. There was a bit of a fuss about it. Milburn retired just before he was born or something like that.

Bertie's claims of Drumcondra fandom are no more credible for me. When they played UCD in the cup a few years back, there was no sign of Bertie.

MariborKev
18/06/2007, 6:59 PM
Surely someone still has a copy of that letter from Bertie´s brother that appeared in the IT a few years back.

It was on the back of when the Dubs played Derry at Clones and Bertie was booed.

Bertie´s brother wrote in to explain how Bertie had picked gooseberries to pay for his Drums season ticket.....