PDA

View Full Version : Irish Team in 7 Years Time - Prediction

Pages : [1] 2

Paddy Garcia
16/06/2007, 6:32 PM
With over a month to kill before the new season starts, I thought a little distraction was called for.

I recently read a prediction for the English international team in future years, and it looked pretty strong. Can we predict our future team with any degree of accuracy (& I don’t mean come September 07)?

Come the world cup in 2014 (7 years hence) who are we likely to be fielding? Notoriously difficult this kind of thing & probably do well to predict one or two. But I do recall that Duff & a few others were clearly earmarked from an early age.

Here is my selection (suggest limit to 2 subs or it will get out of hand):

Randolph

O’Halloran
Gaughan
O’Dea
E Nolan

K Tracey
McCarthy
Garvan
McGeady

Doyle
Dixon

2 Subs
Gibson
McShane

One point for each player in the squad in 2014. If any of the Mods are still around it will be interesting to look back & see if our 2007 experts can make any accurate predictions.

eirebhoy
16/06/2007, 6:47 PM
McShane will be captain of Ireland and Barcelona by then! ;) Amazing to think he'll probably be retiring in 2020. :D I haven't been as excited about a player coming through in a long time.

gustavo
16/06/2007, 8:31 PM
I'd be fairly certain the 2 Reids and Robbie Keane will still be in the team by then

cheifo
16/06/2007, 11:42 PM
Doyle

O Halloran
Nolan
O Dea
McShane

Garvan
Gleeson
Gibson
Tracey

Doyle
Stokes

Subs
Rooney
Keogh
Carsley:p

Who is Gauaghan Paddy?

bellavistaman
17/06/2007, 1:28 AM
Great to see O'halloran name being mentioned in the 2 lists. From Cobh point of view! This is my one:

Henderson/Doyle(keepers dont age lads) e.g Neville Southall, Dave Seaman
O'Halloran
McShane
O'Dea
Kelly

S.Reid
Ireland
Potter
Duff

Stokes
Doyle

Subs:
Keane
O'Shea (by now Cafu like!!!)

Mento
17/06/2007, 4:11 AM
Adam Rooney up top, Gravan midfield.
There my two big hopes; and maybe jamie mccarthy, haven't seen him but the hearsy is good

GavinZac
17/06/2007, 8:07 AM

I'd sooner compare JOS to tofu than cafu

Paddy Garcia
17/06/2007, 8:29 AM
Doyle

Who is Gauaghan Paddy?

Laurence Gaughan is a young centre half at Liverpool, of whom great things are expected. He is a "footballing" centre back who can pass & therefore play more in the continental style. Still a youth, he is a wild card bet... but will be about 24 in 2014.

SaucyJack
17/06/2007, 3:49 PM
Great to see O'halloran name being mentioned in the 2 lists. From Cobh point of view! This is my one:

Henderson/Doyle(keepers dont age lads) e.g Neville Southall, Dave Seaman
O'Halloran
McShane
O'Dea
Kelly

S.Reid
Ireland
Potter
Duff

Stokes
Doyle

Subs:
Keane

unless you're talking about another Duff, Damien Duff will be 35 in 7 years time....he's barely mobile now.

danonion
18/06/2007, 12:01 AM
Given

O'Halloran
Dunne
McShane
Kelly

A. Reid
S.Reid
Potter
McGeady

Dixon
Keane (Aldridge at 1994!!)

Subs

Rooney
Keogh
Connolly (Venerable A.C Milan Skipper)

Risteard
18/06/2007, 3:04 AM
I remember similar threads to this a few years back.
It might be interesting to drag one of them up.

gustavo
18/06/2007, 9:27 AM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=31175
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=29895
similar threads

youngirish
18/06/2007, 9:36 AM
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=31175
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=29895
similar threads

Jaysus I'm good. I predicted the inclusion of S Ireland and McShane as regulars in their correct positions a year before they even got a cap (Most people hadn't even heard of Ireland back then and McShane was only starting his loan period at Brighton). Now if J O'Brien can get fit next season that's likely to be a third (we've a year to go). I'm like Mystic Meg with balls. NeilMcD check that out and choke on it.

I give up on Elliot though. He won't be a mainstay of our forward line. A good season though and he could get himself a place on the bench though I'd be surprised if he displaced Long or Stokes. Depends whether Keane decides to keep him or not which is probably unlikely if he's trying to buy Nugent.

DmanDmythDledge
18/06/2007, 2:23 PM
At the rate we're going . . . in seven years we'll be in one of the lower rank pools for all qualifying tournaments. That's the sad truth.
That's miles from the truth.

youngirish
18/06/2007, 2:38 PM
OK . . . let's meet back here in 2014. Did you actually see the San Marino match?

We have a more talented group of youngsters now than we've ever had IMO. I think we'll easily have the players to be one of the best European teams in another 2-3 years on paper but probably will struggle to reach our potential with Stan or another similar FAI appointed muppet in charge.

It's impossible to predict what we'll be like in 7 years though. Pure guesswork.

tetsujin1979
18/06/2007, 3:14 PM
OK . . . let's meet back here in 2014. Did you actually see the San Marino match?
did you see any of the 4 games that followed it?

bellavistaman
18/06/2007, 3:18 PM
did you see any of the 4 games that followed it?

alot peopel have selective viewing dont want to see teams do well prefer to moan about past failures.

paul_oshea
18/06/2007, 4:14 PM
tuff_paddy usen't be like this though, he used to be one of the few motivational and hopeful ones like eirebhoy....

eirebhoy
18/06/2007, 4:27 PM
Tuff Paddy doesn't have the time to type more than 2 sentences these days. ;)

youngirish - Very accurate prediction!

NeilMcD
18/06/2007, 4:34 PM
Jaysus I'm good. I predicted the inclusion of S Ireland and McShane as regulars in their correct positions a year before they even got a cap (Most people hadn't even heard of Ireland back then and McShane was only playing for Brighton). Now if J O'Brien can get fit next season that's likely to be a third (we've a year to go). I'm like Mystic Meg with balls. NeilMcD check that out and choke on it.

I give up on Elliot though. He won't be a mainstay of our forward line. A good season though and he could get himself a place on the bench though I'd be surprised if he displaced Long or Stokes. Depends whether Keane decides to keep him or not which is probably unlikely if he's trying to buy Nugent.

YOu must be sore from ****ing yourself all weekend.

youngirish
18/06/2007, 4:38 PM
YOu must be sore from ****ing yourself all weekend.

Ha ha. I sense an air of bitterness in your tone child. No Alex Bruce on that list I see.

NeilMcD
18/06/2007, 4:41 PM
Not at all, just find it mildly amusing that you are in love with yourself too much. Ever heard of self praise is no praise. Alex Bruce won't be anywhere near any first choice Irish team in the next 5 years in my view.

bwagner
18/06/2007, 4:42 PM
sensored again I see for nothing
Mod please just close my profile ,this is a joke , im was trying to get a bit of banter going.

Slan

youngirish
18/06/2007, 4:48 PM
Not at all, just find it mildly amusing that you are in love with yourself too much. Ever heard of self praise is no praise. Alex Bruce won't be anywhere near any first choice Irish team in the next 5 years in my view.

You were saying he was like an Irish (English?) Franz Beckenbauer a few weeks ago against my claim that he was slighty sh*te if I recall correctly. You also said Potter was like a young Diego Maradona if memory serves me correctly and John O'Shea reminds you of Garrincha tearing up and down the wing for Ireland when he gets forward, except more skillful.

Bwagner if you want to make homosexual connotations go to the gay chat rooms instead of requesting your profile be closed.

Paddy Garcia
18/06/2007, 5:12 PM
Jaysus I'm good. I predicted the inclusion of S Ireland and McShane as regulars in their correct positions a year before they even got a cap

To be honest Ireland, McShane & O'Brien were very easy calls indeed, no great judgement required to predict they would be in the shake up . Lets see your future team then if you are so good, others (no doubt less talented than yourself) have been prepared to predict a future line up?

Difficult I agree, but not "impossible" at least for getting a handful correct - some scouts are very highly paid for this ability.

Paddy Garcia
18/06/2007, 5:14 PM
Actually the best prediction on that thread was Pete's: I predict a drought.

youngirish
18/06/2007, 5:57 PM
To be honest Ireland, McShane & O'Brien were very easy calls indeed, no great judgement required to predict they would be in the shake up . Lets see your future team then if you are so good, others (no doubt less talented than yourself) have been prepared to predict a future line up?

Difficult I agree, but not "impossible" at least for getting a handful correct - some scouts are very highly paid for this ability.

Ireland, McShane and O'Brien hadn't even a handful of games between them when I started that thread so it's rubbish to suggest it was easy to predict that they'd be in the Ireland setup in the positions predicted in 3 years considering there were lots of better known young players about such as Potter, Flood, Yeates and Whelan. Hindsight is a great thing.

As for predicting a team 7 years down the line that just doesn't make any sense. It's pure guesswork.

Paddy Garcia
18/06/2007, 9:54 PM
Ireland, McShane and O'Brien hadn't even a handful of games between them when I started that thread so it's rubbish to suggest it was easy to predict that they'd be in the Ireland setup in the positions predicted in 3 years considering there were lots of better known young players about such as Potter, Flood, Yeates and Whelan. Hindsight is a great thing.

As for predicting a team 7 years down the line that just doesn't make any sense. It's pure guesswork.

It was easy - Ireland & O'Brien were breaking into premiership teams & getting games in the premiership. And getting great reviews, how many other young Irish players were in the same position? My granny could have predicted they were likely to make a contribution for Ireland. Nil points. This was not the case with Potter, Yeates or Whelan. Flood I agree, for a while looked like he had something to offer at City, though his physical limitations were well covered & obvious to anyone who watched him.

Again there was huge buzz about McShane. Tell me something I don't know already? How much money did you bet on the 2008 banker ? The accurate prediction I read on that thread was from Pete.

BTW top managers and scouts are regularly working up to 7 years ahead - it's one of the objectives that they are paid for. Nowadays millions is spent on teenagers who will not realise a return on investment for 6/7 years. Anyway the thread was intended as a mild diversion over the summer months, though I would add that the English team I referred to earlier already looked strong with the likes of Walcott, Foster & others.

A prediction usually involves some form of guesswork - as opposed to a sure fire banker. An inspired prediction might be regarded as one that is not shared by every other fan.

"Mystic Meg wilh balls" hey.... more like Russell Grant - & I don't believe he has any.

cheifo
18/06/2007, 11:12 PM
Billy Clarke is one I forgot about.We should get a good idea about his potential
next season.There seems to be conflicting views about how good he is.

bellavistaman
19/06/2007, 8:17 AM
unless you're talking about another Duff, Damien Duff will be 35 in 7 years time....he's barely mobile now.

ya exlude him alrite.

youngirish
19/06/2007, 9:19 AM
It was easy - Ireland & O'Brien were breaking into premiership teams & getting games in the premiership. And getting great reviews, how many other young Irish players were in the same position? My granny could have predicted they were likely to make a contribution for Ireland. Nil points. This was not the case with Potter, Yeates or Whelan. Flood I agree, for a while looked like he had something to offer at City, though his physical limitations were well covered & obvious to anyone who watched him.

Again there was huge buzz about McShane. Tell me something I don't know already? How much money did you bet on the 2008 banker ? The accurate prediction I read on that thread was from Pete.

BTW top managers and scouts are regularly working up to 7 years ahead - it's one of the objectives that they are paid for. Nowadays millions is spent on teenagers who will not realise a return on investment for 6/7 years. Anyway the thread was intended as a mild diversion over the summer months, though I would add that the English team I referred to earlier already looked strong with the likes of Walcott, Foster & others.

A prediction usually involves some form of guesswork - as opposed to a sure fire banker. An inspired prediction might be regarded as one that is not shared by every other fan.

"Mystic Meg wilh balls" hey.... more like Russell Grant - & I don't believe he has any.
Sure fire banker. You talk some sh*te. It was great to see you on the site backing up my claim with your sure fire banker. Don't be talking such rubbish Potter and Flood both had much more Premiership experience then all the players I mentioned. In fact McShane had only joined Brigthon on loan (a bottom of the Championship side) and O'Brien I don't think had started a Premiership game. Ireland probably had started one or two (much less than Flood had for the same team). McGeady was being touted at the time as the best young player who had arrived on the scene for years. Notice I didn't have him in my team? Lots of other players were thrown into the mix Whelan, Garvan etc. As I said you're a great man with hindsight. I'd say your a great laugh in the pub with your claims that you should be a millionaire if you backed all those horses you knew would win.

As for the most accurate prediction on the site being Pete's, more crap which proves you don't have a clue. We are a better team now than 2 years ago when we couldn't buy a win. Fairly abstract prediction anyway. We are going to go through a drought. What sort of drought? We never have won anything anyway. Not qualifying for anything? If that's the case we have been more or less in a drought for 11 years anyway when he made that amazing prediction.

As for scouts predicting players who are going to be good 7 years down the road. Stop smoking the crack. How many 11 or 12 year olds have any of the top Premiership teams bought lately? As I said that's pure guesswork they are working off 3-4 years max. You can't predict if a 14 year old is going to be any good by the time he reaches his early 20's. It's impossible. You can predict to a point a 17, 18 or 19 year old though who is already playing first team football.

tetsujin1979
19/06/2007, 1:46 PM
There's this post I wrote a while back on a similar topic - the progress of players from the underage sides to the senior team.
http://foot.ie/showthread.php?t=24967

I think the number of players from the U-19 team at the end of the post who have gone on to play for the senior team, compared to the number from the U-19 team at the start of the post is interesting, there's far more, and I would imagine more of the players from that second lineup who have not played senior international football yet will go on to play for the senior team, than from the first lineup (if that makes sense)

Bungle
19/06/2007, 11:40 PM
Doyle

O'Shea - RB
O'Halloran - LB
Dunne - CB
McShane - CB

Hunt
Tracey
Ireland
Garvan

Stokes
Doyle

In the centre of defence, I could have gone for either O'Dea or Nolan, as I think both have great futures. Whoever suggested Gaughan as a wild card shout deserves credit as by all accounts he's a great future. I don't think he'll make it at Liverpool, but I could see him being another McShane i.e making it back to the top through a Championship club. I think O'Shea will still be on the scene and Dunne will be captain. He'll only be about 33/34 then so should still be around for another campaign. He's a top player who loves playing for his country. I chose O'Halloran purely because I was impressed with him in the games over in the States.

Midfield was arguably the hardest. If Hunt continues to play like he has this season, then I would expect him to be around in 7 years time. He'll only be around 31/32. Tracey is my wild card entry, as I read the other day that he's considered to be the most gifted youth player at Blackburn since old Damo. I've only seen him once, but I've a feeling he'll be the young Irish player to make it in the premiership next season. In the centre, one can't really look past Stephen Ireland. He's a tremendously gifted player, who will get even better with time. He's got a tremendous scoring record for us and City fans rave about him. Garvan is another superbly gifted footballer who has the talent to go very far. Alot of my Ipswich supporting mates expect him to be a premiership player in no time, with or without them. They all highlight his footballing brain. I think that Chris McCann, Spillane and Joey O'Brien will be hovering around the place also.

Up front, I've gone for Stokes and Doyle. Stokes has the talent to be top class. Whatever you think about Keano, a player of Stokes's potential won't be allowed to get above station with him as his manager. Doyle is I believe already a top striker.

I would be concerned that Robbie Keane may retire when he feels he's unlikely to be guaranteed a starting place. He'd still be 34 and might be an invaluable player to have coming on for the last 20 minutes of games. Andy Keogh is another potentially top player, but I think Stokes is better. Long should be a squad player.

RogerMilla
20/06/2007, 10:17 AM
At the rate we're going . . . in seven years we'll be in one of the lower rank pools for all qualifying tournaments. That's the sad truth.

no it isn't , time to get over the san marino game TP , we 've played 4 since then and are unbeaten. most likely we will come third in this group so we will not be sinking any further in the rankings , it's still possible to qualify and it's in our own hands.

cavan_fan
20/06/2007, 3:57 PM
I'm not sure about 7 years we may need to use some of these guys soon. I have a suspicion that if we fail to qualify (still the best bet) we'll see a spate of retirements, my predictions are:

Finnan
Duff
O'Shea
Kilbane
Carsley (again!)
Carr (again!)

That's half our team and I's also worry about Dunne, Given and Keane

DmanDmythDledge
20/06/2007, 4:00 PM
I'm not sure about 7 years we may need to use some of these guys soon. I have a suspicion that if we fail to qualify (still the best bet) we'll see a spate of retirements, my predictions are:

Finnan
Duff
O'Shea
Kilbane
Carsley (again!)
Carr (again!)

That's half our team and I's also worry about Dunne, Given and Keane
The only person I could see retiting from the above is Carr.

Brady Bhoy
20/06/2007, 5:23 PM
kris Renton up front, Crackin player(Norwich). keith Keane could be there(Luton). Michael Spillane(Norwich).Gareth Matthews(Norwich). Owen Garvan(Ipswich). Michael McCann(Burnley I think). Robert Brady(Liverpool). Ian Daly (Man City)

tetsujin1979
20/06/2007, 7:21 PM
kris Renton up front, Crackin player(Norwich). keith Keane could be there(Luton). Michael Spillane(Norwich).Gareth Matthews(Norwich). Owen Garvan(Ipswich). Michael McCann(Burnley I think). Robert Brady(Liverpool). Ian Daly (Man City)
Kris Renton is Scottish
I think you mean Chris McCann, not Michael McCann

Bungle
20/06/2007, 9:55 PM

Renton is Scottish and I think played with us I believe before deciding to switch allegiances back to his native land.

Matthews is really highly rated at Norwich, as is another lad from Dublin who signed with him (I can't think of his name). To be honest, I think clubs like Norwich and Ipswich are the best places for highly talented young lads, as they get a good footballing education at a decent sized club. For every O'Shea, there's 7 or 8 Richie Partridges in big clubs.

Gibson might be an interesting lad to throw into the mix, as is Marc Wilson and O'Kane (last I heard he was doing very well on loan in Belgium).

Brady Bhoy
20/06/2007, 10:21 PM
Renton is scottish yes, he played for our set a few times, but the coach at Norwich is scottish himself, and he convinced Renton to go to Scotland. Now from what I know he didn't like it, and now could be close to an under 21 call up for ire. Also his dad has always said he wanted him to play for ire, which is good to hear.

That other lad from Dublin is Kurtis Byrne, good player. Played with Orchard up front with Mikey Collins. Now he has a good partnership with Renton(well did since Renton is now in the senior team)

And as for McCann yeah it Chris, sorry about that.

Bungle
20/06/2007, 10:29 PM
Oh right. Yeah well that's good to hear. Hopefully he'll change his mind once he breaks into the first team squad. The only worry is Grant, who is Scottish also.

I see Norwich are trying to sign Sharpe. With Earnshaw, I think they'll have the best strikeforce in the Championship. Hopefully Renton and byrne continue to make good progress.

Do you have any connections to those lads?You seem to be well informed!!

On the subject of Norwich, there's a young English lad called Danny Kelly or something who declared for us. He's meant to be very good. I think England schoolboys wanted him, but he turned them down.

Brady Bhoy
20/06/2007, 10:46 PM
Oh right. Yeah well that's good to hear. Hopefully he'll change his mind once he breaks into the first team squad. The only worry is Grant, who is Scottish also.

I see Norwich are trying to sign Sharpe. With Earnshaw, I think they'll have the best strikeforce in the Championship. Hopefully Renton and byrne continue to make good progress.

Do you have any connections to those lads?You seem to be well informed!!

On the subject of Norwich, there's a young English lad called Danny Kelly or something who declared for us. He's meant to be very good. I think England schoolboys wanted him, but he turned them down.

I only know Byrne, brother works with Norwich. Dont know this Kelly lad, i'll find out some info on him. Grant, that is the scottish couch i was on about.

The lad Sharpe, is that Billy off S****horpe? If so he is a quality player, him and Keogh had a great partnership.

As for Renton, I have a feeling he will be the next youth to make his name.

Bungle
20/06/2007, 11:39 PM
I only know Byrne, brother works with Norwich. Dont know this Kelly lad, i'll find out some info on him. Grant, that is the scottish couch i was on about.

The lad Sharpe, is that Billy off S****horpe? If so he is a quality player, him and Keogh had a great partnership.

As for Renton, I have a feeling he will be the next youth to make his name.

http://new.pinkun.com/content/ncfc/storyrss.aspx?brand=PINKUNOnline&category=Norwich&tBrand=PINKUNOnline&tCategory=NORWICH&itemid=NOED03+Feb+2007+16%3A27%3A41%3A323

Seems to be talented. I think he may have a brother called Ross playing in the academy also.

This is what I found on David Cooper.

http://www.ex-canaries.co.uk/players/cooper-david.htm

I know Norwich have a very talented goalie called Declan Rudd who plays with England under 16. With a name like that...

Brady Bhoy
21/06/2007, 1:41 AM
Aye say so. Them profiles, the ones of Renton, Paul McClean, and Gareth Matthews, you'll see they were spotted by my bro it should say. Can't say I know Cooper either.

See the Fulham goalie, you know much on him? Thought he played for Chelsea?

paul_oshea
21/06/2007, 9:02 AM
Kris Renton is Scottish
I think you mean Chris McCann, not Michael McCann

i think he was name dropping.

Paddy Garcia
21/06/2007, 3:56 PM
How many 11 or 12 year olds have any of the top Premiership teams bought lately?

How many 11-12 year olds have been mentioned on this thread? I don't know what you are talking about tbh. You are an intriguing fellow altogether. Impossible to predict what you are going to say next.

Also you should take a look at where Chelsea have invested their money in recent weeks. I'm not saying these are shrewd investments, clearly they are not fortunate enough to have you advising them on their purchases.

Paddy Garcia
21/06/2007, 3:59 PM
Renton is scottish yes, he played for our set a few times, but the coach at Norwich is scottish himself, and he convinced Renton to go to Scotland. Now from what I know he didn't like it, and now could be close to an under 21 call up for ire. Also his dad has always said he wanted him to play for ire, which is good to hear.

Send in the Doc. We were clearly his first choice, I recall reading an interview with Grant who was intent on persuading him to declare for Scotland.

RogerMilla
21/06/2007, 3:59 PM
You are an intriguing fellow altogether. Impossible to predict what you are going to say next.

sydney greenstreet couldnt have said it better PG !

Brady Bhoy
21/06/2007, 5:44 PM
Send in the Doc. We were clearly his first choice, I recall reading an interview with Grant who was intent on persuading him to declare for Scotland.

Yes, but as I said he said he preferred the irish set up which is good for us, hopeully he gets a cap soon so he does'nt play for the Scots.

Lionel Ritchie
23/06/2007, 1:48 PM
I'm a little surprised that all bar danonion believe Shay Given will have shuffled off the international stage in 7 years. You'd certainly hope that others will challenge for the shirt and maybe even dislodge him. But he appears to be a model professional and there's no reason why, at 38, he couldn't be a top flight keeper.

If Kahn can Shay may.