PDA

View Full Version : Maddy McCann

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

Boh_So_Good
15/06/2007, 11:27 PM
Whoa Black Darren..Mansaram..oWhoa

Get In!! :D

Who were the morbid event junkies holding up the Maddy McCann poster in the Bohs end? Really, are they that lost with the premiership season over, that they have to find some other Brit media sensation to link themselves with? You have to wonder how much they really care for the McCann family or is it this need to be part of the TV hype is their motivation more than empathy?

It really is true that vast numbers of Irish are Rupert Murdoch's pets. We should rename this country Republic of Sky.

niallsparky
15/06/2007, 11:57 PM
Not saying I agree but - The whole campaign to get that young girl has been about keeping her face in the public eye, so that people are constantly aware of what she looks like. Who knows where she is, but if just one person heading off to Morrocco/Albania or wherever was able to identify her based on a picture/poster seen on a beach, paper of football ground, then it will have been worth it. The fact that Setanta zoomed in on it means that thousands more people (many of whom may be soon off on their summer hols) are once again exposed to the image of that child. The chances of it having a positive effect are miniscule there is a chance.

BohsFans
16/06/2007, 12:49 AM
Who were the morbid event junkies holding up the Maddy McCann poster in the Bohs end?

Fair play to LukeO for organising that! :p

Boh_So_Good
16/06/2007, 1:55 AM
Not saying I agree but - The whole campaign to get that young girl has been about keeping her face in the public eye, so that people are constantly aware of what she looks like.

I dunno. I think the whole "Cult of Maddy" stuff is getting just weird. That child's face has taken on the role of a religious icon to some people.

The whole hype surrounding this child has become rather tasteless I feel. I know one is not meant to say this, but her parents need to answer some questions themselves and this is what people should be highlighting. Like why they left three babies alone in foreign country. There is also the weird money circus surrounding it such as them hiring PR people and uncles and so on giving up their jobs so they work for the Maddy fund (well at least now the McCann's can afford a babysitter I guess?). The mother seems to spend more time smiling for the cameras - personally my missues would be in bits with greif - I suspect most would be. That whole Birthday Party with mother smiling and waving to the camera was just odd. Also, I have to wonder if they were a pair of Skangers/Chavs would they be getting such an easy ride from the media for leaving three kids alone?

Holding up the banner at the Bohs match just plays into this whole media circus. Of course we all want the child found alive and well. But that gesture at United Park tonight was very poorly thought out and I suspect just done by people very easily controlled by the media and hype. Although I accept that their hearts were probably in the right place. But ultimately, you do not have to prove so publically your sense of humanity and empathy by joining a weird new British tabloid media religion and waving the icon to prove what a "daycent oul skin" you are anymore than holding up a 'JOHN 3-16' placard proves how spiritual you are. Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but I am sick of these professional wagons going around the pubs rattling the Maddy Fund box in your face. Half of them look like classic Joe Duffy caller ex-Alkies who neglected their own kids but are devoted to Maddy. It's like the hype has taken over and Maddy is filling in for Man U/Liverpool/Sunderland until the season restarts for a lot of muppets in this country.

Anyways, this is way off topic. Bohs were very good tonight. I thought it was an enjoyable match.

sonofstan
16/06/2007, 5:39 AM
spot on Boh so Good

Hibs4Ever
16/06/2007, 7:18 AM
Agree with you 100% Boh So Good

hoopy
16/06/2007, 9:05 AM
The whole hype surrounding this child has become rather tasteless I feel. I know one is not meant to say this, but her parents need to answer some questions themselves and this is what people should be highlighting. Like why they left three babies alone in foreign country. There is also the weird money circus surrounding it such as them hiring PR people and uncles and so on giving up their jobs so they work for the Maddy fund (well at least now the McCann's can afford a babysitter I guess?). The mother seems to spend more time smiling for the cameras - personally my missues would be in bits with greif - I suspect most would be. That whole Birthday Party with mother smiling and waving to the camera was just odd. Also, I have to wonder if they were a pair of Skangers/Chavs would they be getting such an easy ride from the media for leaving three kids alone?

Holding up the banner at the Bohs match just plays into this whole media circus. Of course we all want the child found alive and well. But that gesture at United Park tonight was very poorly thought out and I suspect just done by people very easily controlled by the media and hype. Although I accept that their hearts were probably in the right place. But ultimately, you do not have to prove so publically your sense of humanity and empathy by joining a weird new British tabloid media religion and waving the icon to prove what a "daycent oul skin" you are anymore than holding up a 'JOHN 3-16' placard proves how spiritual you are. Maybe I am being a bit harsh, but I am sick of these professional wagons going around the pubs rattling the Maddy Fund box in your face. Half of them look like classic Joe Duffy caller ex-Alkies who neglected their own kids but are devoted to Maddy. It's like the hype has taken over and Maddy is filling in for Man U/Liverpool/Sunderland until the season restarts for a lot of muppets in this country.

Couldn't agree more

Louth4sam
16/06/2007, 9:07 AM
Great post Boh_So_Good.

I wonder if she was an Irish child would people care so much? Its just the British media has the Irish people brainwashed into thinking the way they want us to think

Boh_So_Good
16/06/2007, 12:23 PM
Great post Boh_So_Good.

I wonder if she was an Irish child would people care so much? Its just the British media has the Irish people brainwashed into thinking the way they want us to think

Also a lot of people went to United Park to forget that stuff they are bombarded with in the media, and have a good night. The last thing one needs is that poor child's face put in front of you. Yes, we all care, yes we are all human, but we just want to support our football teams without being subjected to some morbid British media religion.

Like I said, I am sure the people who held up the banner meant well, but in all sincerity just please **** off and don't ever do it again. Thanks.

half_full
16/06/2007, 10:47 PM
I dunno. I think the whole "Cult of Maddy" stuff is getting just weird. That child's face has taken on the role of a religious icon to some people.

Anyways, this is way off topic. Bohs were very good tonight. I thought it was an enjoyable match.

Also a lot of people went to United Park to forget that stuff they are bombarded with in the media, and have a good night. The last thing one needs is that poor child's face put in front of you. Yes, we all care, yes we are all human, but we just want to support our football teams without being subjected to some morbid British media religion.

Like I said, I am sure the people who held up the banner meant well, but in all sincerity just please **** off and don't ever do it again. Thanks.

Posts of the Year. Couldnt be put better Boh_So_Good.

BohsPartisan
16/06/2007, 11:54 PM
Spot on BSG. Can't believe I'm agreeing with you on something that isn't football related.

finlma
17/06/2007, 10:38 AM
Its as bad as Lorraine Keane (media whore) advertising on TV3 for the Maddie fund that she set up to help the search. Pathetic

What about the thousands of children who die every day in poorer countries around the world.

anto1208
17/06/2007, 11:43 AM
Yea boo how dare someone ruin your night trying to find a missing little girl , they should be ashamed of themselves .

After reading the full thread i think ive said british media so much its lost all meaning .If you dont like the british media so much stop reading it :eek:.If you want to have a good enjoyable night out watching Boh's isnt a good start . :p

pete
17/06/2007, 1:13 PM
If people want to display her picture I don't think anyone has the right object but it does appear to be a media circus at this stage. Without wanting to sound bad but does she not look like any other 3 year old girl?

I think the whole family media campaign is similar to incidents you see in Ireland where someone is missing. The family stick posters onto lamp posts anywhere I presume in an attempt to do something when can't think of any other solution.

jebus
17/06/2007, 1:25 PM
What about the thousands of children who die every day in poorer countries around the world.

Quite horribly honestly they're not white so no-one cares, terrible state of affairs we've allowed to happen, but thats the way it is I'm afraid

finlma
17/06/2007, 2:01 PM
Yea boo how dare someone ruin your night trying to find a missing little girl

Well their not going to find her in United Park - why don't they go to Portugal and hold their sign up there.

Vitruvian Man
17/06/2007, 2:54 PM
The bloke who put up the Maddie flag was a big thick-looking ****er who I don't recognise from Dalymount over the years. He had a load of old dudes with him.

On his way home he got into a giant pick-up truck with maddie pictures plastered over the windows and reversed over a load of police bollards before driving off.

But if you want to talk about media whores...
Myself and ghBohs have a cool new Bohs/Ramones flag which we hung up beside Maddie because we knew it would get onto the TV more.

Oh Yeah.

BohsPartisan
17/06/2007, 5:42 PM
Well their not going to find her in United Park -

Not with that attitude they won't!

jebus
17/06/2007, 5:57 PM
The bloke who put up the Maddie flag was a big thick-looking ****er who I don't recognise from Dalymount over the years. He had a load of old dudes with him.

On his way home he got into a giant pick-up truck with maddie pictures plastered over the windows and reversed over a load of police bollards before driving off.

Sounds very much like a League of Gentlemen sketch

BohsPartisan
17/06/2007, 6:19 PM
Sounds very much like a League of Gentlemen sketch

First time I saw them coming with it at Dalyer I thought it was a wind up by the state of them.

Boh_So_Good
17/06/2007, 11:14 PM

Wonder will they show up at other events?

passinginterest
18/06/2007, 1:28 PM
Was a big poster at the front of Hill 16 for the Dublin-Meath match. Might have been the same people?

I have to agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, the whole situation is bizarre.

inexile
18/06/2007, 2:01 PM
i dunno lads, it might be a futile exercise but it would be great to see the poor kid found and if something small like holding a picture of her up at a football match helps then fair play. i mean if your worried about something like that being help up at a match, something constructive that is what would you be like if something derogatory was held up. Dont be so sensitive id say

Jerry The Saint
18/06/2007, 2:51 PM
Was a big poster at the front of Hill 16 for the Dublin-Meath match. Might have been the same people?

I have to agree with most of the sentiment in this thread, the whole situation is bizarre.

Same poster.

GIVE HER BACK

Worryingly, there's a chance that the massive publicity campaign, rewards etc. might actually have had a detrimental affect. The standard excuse - if everyone in Europe sees the picture and enough people go around looking into 4-year-old girls faces (the "LOOK INTO MY EYES" posters) the kidnapper will be caught out.

The Bohs flag is actually a direct appeal to the kidnapper himself who, presumably, will tune into the game and have his conscience *****ed.

BohsPartisan
18/06/2007, 3:03 PM
The Bohs flag

Please don't call it that.

Boh_So_Good
18/06/2007, 3:10 PM

What for me, is the most bizarre (apart from the whole money/iconography aspect of this) of all, is the chain of events surrounding the vanishing of the little girl and how the British and more so IRISH media have been almost silent on the McCann's behaviour during the night of Maddy's vanishing:

The first statement given to the press from the McCanns was that they checked up on the children every half hour from about 7;30pm to 10pm.
this was later changed to 8;30pm 9pm and 10pm
this was later changed to 8;30pm 9pm and 9;50pm.

Mrs McCann said she did the checks but it was later changed to Mr McCann did the checks.

There were 9 adults at the table that night 4 couples and 1 single lady, however one of the 9 later said that they did 1 check but not the McCanns,this was later confirmed by the restaurant staff that the McCanns never left the table that night.

Mrs McCann said she discovered the child gone and went back to the restaurant to tell the others "They`ve taken her" not she has taken her or even he has taken her but THEY.

Later one of the 9 said that they all left together and it was then that they found the child gone.

A search was conducted and Mr McCann said he phoned the police but later the hotel manager said he phoned the police at 11;50pm and a search by the police was not conducted until about 04;30am.

They left calling the police for at least 1 hour 50 mins although Mrs McCann said in the restaurant that she had been abducted by "THEY".

The McCanns said that the room had been broken into and that all doors to the outside had been locked, but later changed it to the outside door had been left unlocked. They originally said the window blinds had been forced but no evidence was found of that.

The McCanns said they were only a few yards from the room and could see it clearly, but they were in fact some 100 yards away and there is no clear line of sight to the rooms from the restaurant. One of the 9 said 2 weeks later that they thought they saw someone carrying off a child in a blanket about 9pm although you cant even see the road from the restaurant.

A sighting in Morrocco 6 days later by a Swedish lady who lives just outside the Spanish town of Malaga was ignored for a further 4 weeks before the McCanns followed it up.

There are several petitions asking for authorities to look into them - 1 in the UK 2 in Portugal and 1 in Canada.They have had some very scathing press articles from Germany, France, Spain, Portugal, Canada, Australia, NZ, and Cyprus - but nothing but "ya poor unfortunate dears" style articles in the UK and Irish media. The McCanns said there have been overwhelmed by the support they have got from the Irish public.

In a recent press interview with the German press Mrs McCann said that they only ever left them for "Just a few minutes" and in that statement has changed the story yet again.

A holiday maker staying at the resort next to the McCanns rooms made a statement that she could hear one of the children crying out "Daddy" several times and knew that the parents had left them on the 3 previous nights alone - once untill about 00;30am when they got back from eating/drinking.

The McCanns said they didn`t want to leave the children with people they didn`t know ( the baby sitting service) but were quite happy to leave them in the hotel creche every day. They had booked the baby sitting service that night but later cancelled it about 1 hour before they went out to dinner.

Even though the restaurant they went to has a creche facility on the premises for the use of the dinners children.

Now considering that the McCann's (and members of their family) have been so pro-active in raising money and developing their own PR in the wake of the child's vanishing, can anyone in the English-Irish media please explain the above? Seems to me there is little or no energy being devoted to this. i.e: the McCann's incredible lack of responsible parenting.

This again is not to play down the very human tragedy this issue is at its heart.

Boh_So_Good
18/06/2007, 3:13 PM
The Bohs flag

Ouch!

See why I hate this carry on. Bohs are now the unofficial McCann's club.

Not good.

Jerry The Saint
18/06/2007, 3:56 PM
I wouldn't be as judgemental of the parents as a lot of people - they made a horrible mistake and are paying in the worst possible way for it. I thought it odd when I heard that the father has time to run a blog so I had a look at this site and it just seems really creepy to me.

http://www.findmadeleine.com/

Local Community

Latest News added at 19/06/2007

ebay!
ebay!

due to the popular demand of my ribbon pin badges, i am now selling larger versions on window suckers, to stick in car or house windows. these are £2.50 each and as usual all proceeds will be donated to the madeleine mccann fund. please go onto ebay, go into communities and type in my user name: crystalschroder where both the pin badges and the car ribbons are for sale. many thanks Crystal

19/06/2007 - Event countdown: 8 hours

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yellow Ribbons
Blackpool Lancs

I have been making yellow ribbons for the past 4 weeks and selling them at my place of work, to help keep Madelines disappearence in the public interest. As a result i have raised a total of £176 to be donated to the Find Madeline Fund.

19/06/2007 12:00:00 - Event countdown: 20 hours

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dressing Down Day
Sheffield

We are having a dress down day and selling yellow ribbons

20/06/2007 10:00:00 - Event countdown: 2 days

Ladies Night
The Pied Bull, Shepshed, Leicestershire

Ladies night, with raffle, tickets on for £2.50 on the night!!!

21/06/2007 19:00:00 - Event countdown: 3 days

Merlin School Fair
Ballamore Road, Downham, Bromley, Kent

Primary School Fair. My daughter, Natalie, is holding a stall on this day and is selling anything yellow. All proceeds she will be giving straight to the Help Madeline Fund.

23/06/2007 12:00:00 - Event countdown: 5 days

People like to think they're helping but so much stuff is just not practical at all - like putting up posters here saying to call the Crimestoppers phone line but not giving the number to dial from outside the UK.

Ouch!

See why I hate this carry on. Bohs are now the unofficial McCann's club.

Not good.

Bohs should be applauded for their courageous stance. Any truth in the story that the new stadium will be called Findmadeline.com Park?

anto1208
18/06/2007, 4:04 PM
What for me, is the most bizarre (apart from the whole money/iconography aspect of this) of all, is the chain of events surrounding the vanishing of the little girl and how the British and more so IRISH media have been almost silent on the McCann's behaviour during the night of Maddy's vanishing:

This again is not to play down the very human tragedy this issue is at its heart.

Ive no idea if any of that is true but id say them saying things like they checked at 10 then changed it to 9 50 could be more down to panic i wouldnt read anything into that .

Same with the they ve taken her rather than he or she .

And with out any links for the rest of the allegations its just another moon landing or 9/11 story where people state "facts" that have no foundations.

I presume the Irish media have followed the english media because its one in the same .

reder
18/06/2007, 4:19 PM
I sincerely hope no child ever goes missing in this country in the same manner if this is the level of sympathy from the irish.

Of course a Bohs V Drogheda game is more important than finding her. Dear god.

PS: It's all Sky's fault of course.

Lim till i die
18/06/2007, 4:52 PM
I sincerely hope no child ever goes missing in this country in the same manner if this is the level of sympathy from the irish.

:rolleyes:

Both her parents should be jailed for life. I wonder is someone minding the other kids while they swan around the world

What about the 1000s of children who die of starvation everyday??

Oh ya, they're "darker".............

You can shove your tabloid moral lecture up your ar$e mate

OneRedArmy
18/06/2007, 4:53 PM

PS: It's all Sky's fault of course.Well argued there. You clearly took on board the points raised above and you're sweeping generation about the sympathy of the Irish was a masterstroke. You certainly put BohsSoGood in his place.....

There's a finite amount of sympathy to give and that child is getting an undue amount.

As Bohs fans would say,

FACT.

Also worth noting you appear to come from the capital of self-pity.

BohsPartisan
18/06/2007, 4:55 PM

Kids go missing in Ireland, they're just not Aryan enough to be the cause celebre of the NOTW and the Sun.
No one is disputing that any kid going missing is a tragedy but the hype over this one particualr kid is ott, especially given the constantly changing stories of those whos care she was in and the attempt to cash in on her dissapearance. As for putting up a banner at a Drogheda V Bohs game live on an Irish language TV channel, whats the point? There are people in this country and yours that just love the attention associated with being a part of campaigns of this type.

BohsPartisan
18/06/2007, 4:56 PM
Also worth noting you appear to come from the capital of self-pity.

What he's from Cork? ;)

finlma
18/06/2007, 5:04 PM

Do you shed a tear for the children getting blown apart in Iraq or starving in Africa or in child slave labour in Asia? I didn't think so - back to reading the Sun.

bennocelt
18/06/2007, 5:06 PM
Quite horribly honestly they're not white so no-one cares, terrible state of affairs we've allowed to happen, but thats the way it is I'm afraid

its alright Bono does

OneRedArmy
18/06/2007, 5:14 PM
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/6762549.stm

Seven times the media coverage Maddy has got then so?

dahamsta
18/06/2007, 5:17 PM
Any chance ye'd keep it impersonal lads? Like the rules say?

TonyD
18/06/2007, 8:39 PM

Oh come on. I'm sure there's plenty of sympathy here for the poor child. As for the parents, well that's another matter. As BSG pointed out in the first of his excellent posts, if they were a couple of Jade Goody types (for example) they'd have been slaughtered in the press, both in the UK and here. Instead what we've got are numerous comments of the "oh, we've all done it" type. Really ? Has anyone here, or anyone heard of anyone going on holiday to a foreign country and leaving three children alone while they went out for the evening ?

I think what people are reacting against is the felling that the public are being manipulated, and told what issues they are allowed to care about. It's like the Prioncess Diana death in Britain all over again. It's only years later that people in Britain that people are beginning to come out and question the mass hysteria generated(in large part) by the press at that time. And yes, Sky are a big part of that. Not saying people don't(or shouldn't) care but the whole thing has just a slightly grisly circus feel to it now.

anto1208
18/06/2007, 9:16 PM
But whats the point of having a go at them now , if she's found then yes investigate it if she's dead then it should just be left i cant see any point in it at all .

I also dont think there class has anything to do with it , kids from less well off family's get the same coverage . And any of the experts in this kind of thing keep saying that keeping it in the media is the best thing to do . So what if its a false concern by the papers its still there 4+ weeks later thats whats important .

Ceirtlis
18/06/2007, 11:44 PM
Some excellant posts on here. It is very sad to see that this young girl has gone missing but the way some people are jumping on the bandwagon you would think that there is not children all over the world dying of starvation everyday.

reder
19/06/2007, 8:06 AM
Some excellant posts on here. It is very sad to see that this young girl has gone missing but the way some people are jumping on the bandwagon you would think that there is not children all over the world dying of starvation everyday.

There are children starving all over the world and they are being neglected but that has nothing to do with their origin. Get of the Bono and Geldof bandwagon!! Are there not children living in poverty in Ireland and the UK? The Iraq comment is utter nonsense and the type of comment you always get from some typical anti-war hippy. Go and hug a tree!

Also in reference to people leaving their kids alone, dont make me laugh, if there is one country on this planet where the pubs are packed on a friday, saturday and sunday nights with parents its Ireland. Suppose thats just my imagination and they are actually at home minding their kids.

BohsPartisan
19/06/2007, 8:29 AM
Also in reference to people leaving their kids alone, dont make me laugh, if there is one country on this planet where the pubs are packed on a friday, saturday and sunday nights with parents its Ireland. Suppose thats just my imagination and they are actually at home minding their kids.

They've heard of baby sitters though. :rolleyes:

As for your other comment... :rolleyes:

anto1208
19/06/2007, 9:34 AM

Both her parents should be jailed for life. I wonder is someone minding the other kids while they swan around the world

What about the 1000s of children who die of starvation everyday??

Oh ya, they're "darker".............

You can shove your tabloid moral lecture up your ar$e mate

Do you shed a tear for the children getting blown apart in Iraq or starving in Africa or in child slave labour in Asia? I didn't think so - back to reading the Sun.

Will you give over FFS yea i remember the lack of coverage live 8 got geenie mac you had to search for hours through the papers and internet to find anything about it , couldnt get a quote from Geldoff for love nor money . Iraq where ?? never heard of it :rolleyes:.

This rubbish that if you feel sorry for them or do something to help that you dont care about starving kids in africa cop on to yourselves .

I wonder if i searched back through all the threads slagging off Geldoff and Bono and saying they are sick of the coverage the "darker" kids are getting with live 8 would i see the same names popping up i think i might

bennocelt
19/06/2007, 10:12 AM
Instead what we've got are numerous comments of the "oh, we've all done it" type. Really ? Has anyone here, or anyone heard of anyone going on holiday to a foreign country and leaving three children alone while they went out for the evening ?

to be fair, i think quite a few people would say "yes"

BohsPartisan
19/06/2007, 10:35 AM
Will you give over FFS yea i remember the lack of coverage live 8 got geenie mac you had to search for hours through the papers and internet to find anything about it ,

How many people have died in Iraq to date Anto?

As for Live8 what good did it do? The point is clear that all these things get media coverage for a day - their 15 minutes of fame (and even then it took major celebs to put it on the agenda) where as Maddy is perpetually in the public eye.

Jerry The Saint
19/06/2007, 10:48 AM
Maddy is perpetually in the public eye.

Well...not quite as much since Big Brother started. Sad but true.

RogerMilla
19/06/2007, 11:07 AM

Brilliant post and i know its spilt milk but the parents were partly at fault for this whole thing. they seem to have manoevered themselves into a position where they are practically controlling the british media but have no chance to influence the most important players in this, the portuguese authorities. I think it is a good idea to keep her face etc in the spotlight and it reminds me of the efforts ken bigleys brother made to secure his release , everyone would love to have a brother like that who would try anything to get you back , sadly maddies parents should have kept a hold of her in the first place. I don't know how true those times printed by the other poster above are or the whole creche babysitter story but if it is true then the mccanns are negligent parents in my opinion

Macy
19/06/2007, 11:22 AM
it reminds me of the efforts ken bigleys brother made to secure his release , everyone would love to have a brother like that who would try anything to get you back , sadly maddies parents should have kept a hold of her in the first place
It's very similar that an atmosphere has been created that you can't possibly question what has happened. In Ken Bigleys case, you couldn't raise why he was out there in the first place, just the same as you can't raise what the fook the parents were doing leaving 3 kids alone in an apartment while they went for drinks and dinner.

anto1208
19/06/2007, 11:33 AM
How many people have died in Iraq to date Anto?

As for Live8 what good did it do? The point is clear that all these things get media coverage for a day - their 15 minutes of fame (and even then it took major celebs to put it on the agenda) where as Maddy is perpetually in the public eye.

id estimate about 700,000 innocent people then add more for insurgents etc add in the poor american and british kids sent there Its hard to miss its been on the news and in the papers everyday for over 4 years , whats that got to do with the mcanns trying to find there daughter ?