PDA

View Full Version : Clive Delaney interview

pineapple stu
05/03/2003, 1:49 PM
From www.whufc.co.uk, the official West Ham website -

West Ham's latest recruit, Irish defender Clive Delaney, is hopeful he can do enough to impress in the remaining weeks of the season to earn an extended contract at the club.
23-year-old Clive, who was also courted by Bolton Wanderers, Kilmarnock, and Irish league champions Bohemians - who offered him a three year deal as opposed to the four months he has at Upton Park - was signed from University College Dublin so that Glenn Roeder and his staff can put him through his paces.

It is certainly a circuitous route, hopefully to the top, and giving us his CV, the 6ft 5ins centre-half says: "I got into part-time football when I joined UCD back in Dublin. They are a semi-professional outfit and they are in the top league over there, which is called the Eircom league.

"I got a scholarship there for four years by attending college, training in the evenings three nights a week, and playing a match at the weekend.

"They have been in the top flight there for six or seven years and have been able to hold their own, though they wouldn't really be challenging for honours.

"At the same time, because I was quite young when I got in the first team, I played for Brian Carey in the Republic of Ireland under-18s in Sweden in the European Championships when we finished third in 1999 - which wasn't too bad.

"We beat a couple of decent teams, getting a win over Spain and drawing with Italy.

"We went on a couple of other trips like in Holland when where we won a tournament, and there were a few qualifiers as well.

"Then as I continued with UCD I moved to the under-21s under Don Givens, who took over the reins a couple of years back. We played against Greece and did quite well and I was happy enough.

"Then then this opportunity came up - there were one or two clubs over here who were interested in taking me on for a week so I decided to come to West Ham and have a look.

"I was happy enough with the set-up and I did quite well during the week - and more importantly Glenn was happy enough himself.

"He just wanted to see me in games and he put a reasonable proposition to me which was to have a short term contract so he could watch me in games and monitor me in training to see if I am up to the standard he requires."

He admits it is a gamble, but adds: "It is a massive leap and it is a culture change, a lifestyle change - because in the last year I have been in full time employment and only training three times a week.

"Here it is 100% football. The training is very tough and the intensity is what I was finding difficult to get used to.

"In the first couple of sessions I was grand, but as they dragged out during the week I found I had to keep up to that level.

"But, talking to the physios and coaches, they said it would come with time so that is what I am looking for - and I am glad to have got a couple of reserve games under my belt because there is only so much you can do in training to impress."

West Ham had competition for his signature, and Clive adds: "Bolton and Kilmarnock were the teams that wanted me to come over so they could have a look, and Bohemians offered me that longer contract as well.

"But I chose West Ham because it was the biggest club and I have a few friends who support them - it was fairly straightforward really.

"I was impressed with how things are run and it is a great bunch of lads - I saw myself fitting in and I just want to take the chance and the opportunity I was given.

"The way I look at it is, I am not going to be a worse player after a bit of full time training and reserve games amongst the quality of players that are at West Ham.

"The end of the season is only two months away and I imagine I will be a better player after those two months.

"If Kilmarnock are seriously interested they will still be there in two months time - if things don't work out here.

"It does take a bit of getting used to and there is a gulf in the difference of class, to be honest - but in time I will hopefully adjust to the sharpness in training; I am looking to get up to the level now.

"The first sessions that I did were in the international week so a lot of those players were away and it was a mix of the young and old players.

"I just went in and trained as I would for my old club. I didn't change my routine but obviously there were a couple of things that I wasn't too familiar with because the coaches here are experienced.

"But you just have to get on with it and see how you fit in."

He admits the move came out of the blue, adding: "It was a bit of a surprise because when I was playing for UCD last season there was no one really talking to me about anything like coming over here and it wasn't something I expected to do at that age.

"I was just getting on with it - but having said that, when you get an opportunity like this, you have to take it."

If it doesn't work out in football, Clive will go back to his desk job, and, revealing his 'other' CV, he says: "I have a degree in Commerce and a Masters in Accountancy - that will always be there, but the opportunity to be at West Ham won't.

"It is a bit of a gamble I suppose but so far training has gone quite well."

pineapple stu
05/03/2003, 1:56 PM
And also from the official website, the latest reserve match review - check out the West Ham line up! And yes, "Forde" is Davd Forde, who used to play for Galway!

RESERVES HELD BY BLUES
4 Mar 2003 21:18

West Ham’s reserve team were held to a frustrating 0-0 draw by Chelsea at Upton Park on Tuesday night.
Coach Roger Cross fielded eight players with first team experience, but just couldn’t find a way past an extremely young Blues side, who managed just two shots on goal all evening and rode their luck at the other end on the few occasions that Hammers threatened seriously.

Edouard Cisse was the chief culprit for the home side, wasting two glorious opportunities to break the deadlock. He burst clean through on goal in the 15th minute after dispossessing defender Watt but saw his shot pushed round the post by Chelsea keeper Rhys Evans.

The French midfielder then had the chance to make amends in the last minute of the game, but screwed his shot wide after Don Hutchison had released him in the penalty area.

Hammers’s best chances in between Cisse’s efforts had fallen to Irish defender Clive Delaney, who saw a powerful header cleared off the line in the first half, and Richard Garcia, whose fierce shot on the turn was superbly tipped on to the bar in the 79th minute.

A defence including the likes of Sebastien Schemmel, Christian Dailly and Gary Breen had few problems dealing with Chelsea’s inexperienced and lightweight attackers, although midfielder Danny Jeffreys did threaten on the odd occasion.

The visitors – managed by former Upton Park player and assistant manager Mick McGiven – showed plenty of enthusiasm and desire, but Hammers will view this as two points dropped rather than a point gained.

Hammers: Bywater, Schemmel, Breen, Delaney, Dailly, Cisse, Noble (Cohen 67), McMahon, Byrne, Hutchison, Garcia. Subs unused: Forde, Fletcher, Lee.
Chelsea: Evans, Kitamirike, Cousins, Watt, Huth, Nicolas, Oliveira (Smith 10), Woodards (Hollands 69), Kneissl, Boussoufa (Sentence 29). Subs unused: Pidgeley, Hudell.

Schumi
05/03/2003, 2:13 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu
Hammers’s best chances in between Cisse’s efforts had fallen to Irish defender Clive Delaney, who saw a powerful header cleared off the line in the first half They'll be playing him up front soon.;)

fosterdollar
05/03/2003, 2:32 PM
Originally posted by Schumi
They'll be playing him up front soon.;)

that would probably only happen if he was playing for spurs!;)

A face
05/03/2003, 3:27 PM
To be honest .... i think he would be well able for it. People are selling him short over the whole transfer, you cant really blame West ham as they wouldn't much about him but over here, different story. :rolleyes:

Bald Student
05/03/2003, 8:29 PM
Originally posted by pineapple stu

I played for Brian Carey in the Republic of Ireland under-18s in Sweden in the European Championships when we finished third in 1999

Glad to see the english sports editors have done their homework on the new Ireland manager.

Schumi
06/03/2003, 11:59 AM
Originally posted by Bald Student
Glad to see the english sports editors have done their homework on the new Ireland manager. :D Didn't cop that, I was wondering who Brian Carey was.

Bald Student
06/03/2003, 6:07 PM
:D Didn't cop that, I was wondering who Brian Carey was.

Also, I think that they mean the U20 World Cup in Maylasia

CollegeTillIDie
06/03/2003, 8:04 PM
Ger Gilroy om Newstalk106 did a telephone interview with Clive on last night's Irish Soccer segement of the On the Ball Show which runs from 7 to 9 Monday to Friday nights. Their coverage of the domestic game is quite good with commentaries for Friday nigth games during the season and a phone-in /interview show on Wednesday nights usually between 8 and 9. Next season with the number of midweek games expect that slot to move to another day on one or two occasions between April and November. For those of you outside Dublin with access to the internt you can hear the show on their website; which I think is www.newstalk106.com
if not. com then it will be .ie

fosterdollar
07/03/2003, 11:19 AM
think that post should be moved to the blatant ads forum:rolleyes: :D

sadloserkid
07/03/2003, 11:21 AM
:D Didn't cop that, I was wondering who Brian Carey was.

And I thought they meant the ex-Cork City, Wrexham, Leicester and Man Yoo defender Brian Carey (he played for Ireland you know!) :p

@ndy
07/03/2003, 12:10 PM
Me too...i breezed thru the article and i was thinking...hmmm when was Brian Carey involved in the Irish set up?

Schumi
07/03/2003, 12:14 PM
Originally posted by CollegeTillIDie
Ger Gilroy om Newstalk106 did a telephone interview with Clive on last night's Irish Soccer segement of the On the Ball Show which runs from 7 to 9 Monday to Friday nights. Their coverage of the domestic game is quite good with commentaries for Friday nigth games during the season and a phone-in /interview show on Wednesday nights usually between 8 and 9. Next season with the number of midweek games expect that slot to move to another day on one or two occasions between April and November. For those of you outside Dublin with access to the internt you can hear the show on their website; which I think is www.newstalk106.com
if not. com then it will be .ie It's .ie I think (great how no one can be arsed checking!). The EL coverage isn't bad although the presenter is a bit clueless about it.