PDA

View Full Version : Sky Digital Question

razor
13/06/2007, 11:34 AM
The uncle has bought a holiday home in the depths of Kerry.
The guy they bought the house from left his sky box and dish there, so i hooked it up to their tv for them last weekend
It brings up the EPG fine but when you select a programme it says no satellite signal received. So I went to setup and saw that it was showing no satellite signal was being received, i presumed the dish was out of alignment.
Then I went in and added a few BBC channels in the extra channels screen and these are displaying perfectly but I don't understand why if the box is telling me i'm getting no signal?
Any help gratefully received.

noby
13/06/2007, 11:44 AM
You will get that message on any non-FTA channels. Is RTE still channel 101? Is there still a card in the dish?
If so do the following:
turn on sky box.
Go to 501, you should get Sky news.
Press the red button.
Remove card and put it in upside down.
Back up a couple of times. There will be a slight delay as the box searches for the channel. Sky News should reappear.
Go to channel 101 and you should have BBC1.

If this works then you'll have the following channels:
101 BBC1
102 BBC2
103 ITV1
115 BBC3
116 BBC4
117-120 ITV2-ITV4. Plus other odds'n'sods, the news channels etc.

razor
13/06/2007, 12:01 PM
You will get that message on any non-FTA channels. Is RTE still channel 101? Is there still a card in the dish?Yes & Yes, will try that noby thanks

Go to 501, you should get Sky news.But will i not get the no satellite signal message here also?

beautifulrock
13/06/2007, 4:47 PM
You will get that message on any non-FTA channels. Is RTE still channel 101? Is there still a card in the dish?
If so do the following:
turn on sky box.
Go to 501, you should get Sky news.
Press the red button.
Remove card and put it in upside down.
Back up a couple of times. There will be a slight delay as the box searches for the channel. Sky News should reappear.
Go to channel 101 and you should have BBC1.

If this works then you'll have the following channels:
101 BBC1
102 BBC2
103 ITV1
115 BBC3
116 BBC4
117-120 ITV2-ITV4. Plus other odds'n'sods, the news channels etc.

Noby, that is interesting, does the reverse work i.e. bbc to rte??

noby
14/06/2007, 7:53 AM
When you put the card in upside-down, the sky-box doesn't recognise it and reverts back to the factory default setting, which is basically the UK setting (BBC at 101 etc.). If you have a current sub with sky, then yes, you can reverse the procedure, put the card in the right way and get the Irish EPG.
If you don't have a sub you won't get RTE. BBC, ITV etc are free-to-air, so any dish and box will pick them up.