PDA

View Full Version : Dolan for Derry

Pages : [1] 2 3

Ebmania
12/06/2007, 10:37 AM
Dolan holds Derry talks – report

June 12, 2007

Former St Patrick’s Athletic and Cork City manager Pat Dolan has held talks with Derry City about returning to management for the first time in three years.

Dolan is currently with First Division club Wexford Youths in an advisory role to Youths boss and close friend Mick Wallace.

According to Tuesday’s Irish Daily Star, the 39-year-old is at the top of Derry’s wishlist as the Brandywell board set about finding a permanent replacement for Pat Fenlon, who stepped down last month.

One stumbling block could be Dolan’s commitments to burgeoning satellite player Setanta Sports, where he is the main anchor for eircom League of Ireland and Setanta Sports Cup coverage.

The Galway native has been out of front-line management for the best part of three years, after guiding Cork to second place behind Shelbourne in the 2004 eircom League campaign.

joeSoap
12/06/2007, 10:54 AM
Interesting. I'd say he would be good for Derry. The EL needs personalities like him, love him or loathe him, and I'd like to see him back.

Jerry The Saint
12/06/2007, 11:02 AM
The Galway native...

Casts a bit of doubt on the rest of the report. :)

I know him and Felix are "on a break" at the moment but he said he'd be back with Setanta later in the year. Wonder if he's being groomed to take on some of the punditry work for Setanta UK?

As he's proved before, he's a great man to come in as a short-term troubleshooter and sort things out on the pitch - as long as Derry keep him away from the chequebook etc.

Ebmania
12/06/2007, 11:31 AM
Yeah and plays a similar type of football to Kenny. Might get the best out the lads there.

Or maybe O Halloran is taking over in disguise.

GuisaSaigon
12/06/2007, 11:37 AM
The Galway native...

Casts a bit of doubt on the rest of the report.

Dolan was Born in Galway, and moved to the UK for few years when he was 14 AFAIK.
I reckon he could do a good job in Derry. I agree with Joe Soap that the LOI needs characters like Dolan. It'd be interesting to see himself and Greg O'Halloran re-united :)

Dodge
12/06/2007, 11:38 AM
Dolan was Born in Galway, and moved to the UK for few years when he was 14 AFAIK.

He was born in Dagenham, Essex. 100% on this

GuisaSaigon
12/06/2007, 11:48 AM
He was born in Dagenham, Essex. 100% on this

Wikipedia and myself must be wrong so http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patrick_Dolan

Tir Oilean
12/06/2007, 11:48 AM
Im pretty sure it was his father was born in Galway and Pat himself considers himself a Galway man.....when he's talking to local press anyway!!!!!

Dodge
12/06/2007, 11:54 AM
As the person who started that wikipedia page, I can tell you it was originally Dagenham, and one of his Cork cronies changed it to Galway

I know the guy personally, I've seen his passport, I've seen where his twin brother's place of birth is listed as Dagenham

His father is indeed from Galway, and Pat does like to tell people he's from Galway.

He is not, however, a Galway native

Hope he gets the Derry job

Risteard
12/06/2007, 11:57 AM
Why??

Dodge
12/06/2007, 12:01 PM
Because I like having Dolan in the league. Always interesting, always passionate.

OneRedArmy
12/06/2007, 12:05 PM
and Pat himself considers himself a Galway man.....when he's talking to local press anyway!!!!!I'm pretty sure if Pat happened to be in Ulaan Baatar of an evening and was talking to the local press he'd claim to be descended from Ghengis Khan....

Come on the Super Derry Rebel Army Reds!!

Risteard
12/06/2007, 12:07 PM
Fair enough. Personally, I'm still hearing too much about Dolan v Lennox so him returning to the Cross will create weeks of people irritating me before and after.

OneRedArmy
12/06/2007, 12:11 PM
Fair enough. Personally, I'm still hearing too much about Dolan v Lennox so him returning to the Cross will create weeks of people irritating me before and after.Unlikely to happen until this time next year so you have some time to prepare.

MariborKev
12/06/2007, 12:13 PM
I'm pretty sure if Pat happened to be in Ulaan Baatar of an evening and was talking to the local press he'd claim to be descended from Ghengis Khan....

Come on the Super Derry Rebel Army Reds!!

Did you not get the press release from Marketing?

"In all future correspondance the club shall be known as Free Derry Atlantic Coast Pirates"

GuisaSaigon
12/06/2007, 12:18 PM
As the person who started that wikipedia page, I can tell you it was originally Dagenham, and one of his Cork cronies changed it to Galway

I know the guy personally, I've seen his passport, I've seen where his twin brother's place of birth is listed as Dagenham

His father is indeed from Galway, and Pat does like to tell people he's from Galway.

He is not, however, a Galway native

Fair enough, Pat Dolan and Wikipedia are never the most trustworthy sources of information :)

lofty9
12/06/2007, 2:11 PM
From what Ive heard Dolan is way down the list as preferred candidtates. They wanted two guys from last years set up to do it. One is staying with Stephen Kenny and the other who has now been asked to take it on himself is the players choice but is in a quandry about leaving his current job.

Mr A
12/06/2007, 2:24 PM
They wanted two guys from last years set up to do it. One is staying with Stephen Kenny and the other who has now been asked to take it on himself is the players choice but is in a quandry about leaving his current job.

:eek::eek::eek:

gufct
12/06/2007, 2:35 PM
Will that be before or after Fridays cup game ;):eek::D

Aaron
12/06/2007, 3:16 PM
Well the rumour around Derry at the minute is Dolan has accepted and the board will announce it in the next few days. This is a Derry rumour however

Magicme
12/06/2007, 4:12 PM
Leave it til after we play ya on Friday for god sake!

iceman
12/06/2007, 4:40 PM
Well the rumour around Derry at the minute is Dolan has accepted and the board will announce it in the next few days. This is a Derry rumour however
Do you think he will last as long as Nutsie?:D

Sam_Heggy
12/06/2007, 4:56 PM
Do you think he will last as long as Nutsie?:D

Only if they can get a cheap supplier of pies :cool: mince and onion id say :p
seriously i think he will make a big diference, but as said b4, dont give him free reign with the cheque book.

Troy.McClure
12/06/2007, 7:15 PM
Eamonn Dolan
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Eamonn Dolan
Personal information
Full name Eamonn John Dolan
Date of birth September 20, 1967 (age 39)
Place of birth Dagenham, England
Playing position Striker
Club information
Current club Reading (Academy Manager)

Eamonn Dolan (born September 20, 1967 in Dagenham) is an Irish-English ex-professional footballer, now working as a coach.

Paddyfield
12/06/2007, 8:53 PM
Do you not detect that flat west of Ireland tone when Pat Dolan speaks?
Besides, there is no hospital in Ardrahan, County Galway. There is a reptable veterinary practice tough!

See Pat Dolan impersonator on YouTube....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kgMnkj8UxVU

Soper
12/06/2007, 9:01 PM
Derry fans - Do you think the appointment of Dolan as manager (if it happens) will improve your clubs chances in European competition this year?

OneRedArmy
13/06/2007, 9:29 AM
Derry fans - Do you think the appointment of Dolan as manager (if it happens) will improve your clubs chances in European competition this year?Who are you, Pat Kenny?

fbtn
13/06/2007, 9:29 AM
From what Ive heard Dolan is way down the list as preferred candidtates. They wanted two guys from last years set up to do it. One is staying with Stephen Kenny and the other who has now been asked to take it on himself is the players choice but is in a quandry about leaving his current job.

Ha ha ha....right on brother.

Soper
13/06/2007, 10:37 AM
Who are you, Pat Kenny?

I could only wish.

Anyway, I was only asking a question.

passerrby
13/06/2007, 10:53 AM
first time i ve heard of a rat joining a sinking ship

OneRedArmy
13/06/2007, 11:00 AM
first time i ve heard of a rat joining a sinking shipEgg on face on Friday perhaps?

Soper
13/06/2007, 11:03 AM
Poached or scrambled?

Pablo
13/06/2007, 11:16 AM
shouldnt this be in the Derry forum?

Soper
13/06/2007, 11:22 AM
I don;t think so, it is an Eircom League news story, that a lot of people are interested in

Jerry The Saint
13/06/2007, 11:43 AM
I don;t think so, it is an Eircom League news story, that a lot of people are interested in

And Pat Dolan is the Voice of The Eircom League. EXCLUSIVELY in The Star.

Pablo
13/06/2007, 11:45 AM
i just though as the CAS story had been moved this should be too

Ceirtlis
13/06/2007, 12:01 PM
I hope he gets the job if only to keep him off setantas coverage of the eircom league, he is awful.

Sheridan
13/06/2007, 12:08 PM
He's great on Setanta, highly entertaining and far less irritating than he is in a managerial capacity (when his one-eyedness quickly becomes tedious.)

green-blood
13/06/2007, 12:37 PM
great, now we can give the fat annoying pr!ck some proper abuse again

You weren't even good enough for the bench, Patrick

Aaron
13/06/2007, 12:38 PM
All this notion of Pat Dolan ruining our club if he comes is rubbish. Its down to the board and chairman to decide what the manager spends. If they let him sopend more than what they have then thats their fault. It was the same scenario with Pat Fenlon at Shels, he spent money on players but the board knew and should have stopped any deal that wasnt within their budget. We have a dtrong board of directors and chairman who will give Pat a budget and restrict him to just that. Long gone are the days that Derry City went out and spent money they didnt have. We have learned our lesson, and Pat will find that out should he be appointed.

dcfcsteve
13/06/2007, 1:16 PM
All this notion of Pat Dolan ruining our club if he comes is rubbish. Its down to the board and chairman to decide what the manager spends. If they let him sopend more than what they have then thats their fault. It was the same scenario with Pat Fenlon at Shels, he spent money on players but the board knew and should have stopped any deal that wasnt within their budget. We have a dtrong board of directors and chairman who will give Pat a budget and restrict him to just that. Long gone are the days that Derry City went out and spent money they didnt have. We have learned our lesson, and Pat will find that out should he be appointed.

Spot on. Perhaps that's what rumbled Fenlon - he wasn't able to buy his way to success at City....

Flexy
15/06/2007, 12:47 PM
Bring on Pat Dolan and his wastecoats!!!:)

Jaime
15/06/2007, 12:51 PM
Surprised this deal is taking so long. From the moment Fenlon was kicked out it's been obvious it's going to happen.

ForzaWexford
15/06/2007, 5:27 PM
Surprised this deal is taking so long. From the moment Fenlon was kicked out it's been obvious it's going to happen.

I don't think it's so obvious. In fact, I'm fairly confident Pat won't be going to Derry at all.

Red&White
16/06/2007, 12:45 AM
I don't think it's so obvious. In fact, I'm fairly confident Pat won't be going to Derry at all.

...and from rumours I heard tonight, you may be right.

Aaron
16/06/2007, 2:20 PM

What would they be....

Risteard
16/06/2007, 2:36 PM
I don't know but i bet typing in the rumour will involve a few of these. €€€€€€€€€€€€ and a few of these ££££££££££££

dcfc_dee
16/06/2007, 2:56 PM

I was told last nite to put money on Dolan from someone close to the club! FACT!

onceahoop
16/06/2007, 3:35 PM
I was told last nite to put money on Dolan from someone close to the club! FACT!

Is he a bookie?

Aaron
16/06/2007, 3:41 PM
it looked like dolan was saying goodbye to wallace and the wexford boys last night alright

Why what was he doing?