PDA

View Full Version : South East FC aiming for Eircom league spot

Topman
11/06/2007, 4:10 PM
In August this year the South East Academy will take another leap forward, as part of their continued development of elite players in the south east region, when their recently formed club ‘South East FC’ will affiliate to the LFA and FAI through the Carlow and District Football League. South East FC will then compete in the FAI Youth Challenge Cup, FAI u17 Challenge Cup, LFA Youths Cup and will contest challenge games regularly with some of the leading teams in the country throughout the season. The club intend to be based at Bunclody FC, which is also the FAI Regional Development Centre. Bunclody FC have recently installed International class facilities, including three International class grass pitches, an indoor 3G Astro Turf pitch and superb clubhouse facilities on its 16 acre site and are presently installing a full-size outdoor 3G Astro Turf pitch with flood lights.

South East FC see the coming season as a stepping stone to League of Ireland football, as they hope to compete in the New Under 20 Division of the Eircom League which is due to start in 2008. John Coughlan, Vice-President of the Leinster Football Association and Secretary of the Carlow and District Football League said ”We are delighted to be working with South East FC. It will provide a great opportunity for elite players in the south east to compete at a high level without having to travel long distances, as has been the case in the past. It will also enable these players to receive coaching to an International standard and afford them a real opportunity to play in the Eircom League in 2008”.

Preparations to take the club forward into the Eircom League are already well under way, with management structures and highly qualified coaching staff in place including Pat Purcell who is head coach with the FAI emerging Talent Programme in Carlow and currently working on his UEFA ‘B’ Coaching Licence. Garry Coady holds a UEFA ‘B’ Licence and is an FAI Tutor and FAI regional squad coach while Dutch native Robbert Wagemans is an FAI emerging talent programme coach who holds a Semi-Pro Coaching Licence from the Dutch Football Federation. Seamus Glover who recently completed his UEFA ‘A’ Licence also holds a UEFA ‘B’ Goalkeeping Licence.

Over the last few years, the South East Academy has built up a network of contacts with professional clubs in the UK and Europe. South East FC will maintain these contacts and continue to travel regularly to these clubs in order to provide an opportunity for players to experience different styles of play and coaching methods. During the coming season they will play up to 30 games and will have over 60 coaching sessions.

Pre-season training is now under way in preparation for one of Europe's premier tournaments, the Foyle Cup, in Derry during July and the prestigious Galway Umbro Cup in August. South East FC are currently assembling an impressive squad of players from Carlow, Kilkenny and Wexford, with all having played at representative level while the majority have also played in the DDSL Premier division. They currently have a small numbers of places available and are looking for elite players born in 1990 who are serious about playing soccer. Places are limited so if you are interested or would like further information,
contact Pat Purcell on 085-1336050.

:ball::ball::ball:

John83
11/06/2007, 5:19 PM
http://foot.ie/showpost.php?p=431906&postcount=5

balls
11/06/2007, 5:39 PM
fair play to ye lads seems like a decent set up. best of luck with it.

pineapple stu
11/06/2007, 5:46 PM
Mods looking after it now.

Where's the team based? Is it Carlow town?

Risteard
11/06/2007, 6:02 PM
South-East already has three teams.

Poor Student
11/06/2007, 7:16 PM
Isn't Bunclody in Wexford? I can figure out, does this club have senior ambitions of just want to become a really good underage development setup?

4tothefloor
12/06/2007, 11:20 PM
Sout East FC is an even worse name than Wexford Youths. Has ANYBODY got any imagination at all in that part of the country? Seriously, South East FC?! FFS.....

Risteard
13/06/2007, 1:12 AM
Oh to have a number eh?

Topman
13/06/2007, 8:36 AM
Limerick 37 Fc.......your Having A Laugh

Mr A
13/06/2007, 12:49 PM
South West Ten to the Power of Six.

Rocky
13/06/2007, 1:11 PM
Limerick 37 Fc.......your Having A Laugh

Not really. Many clubs on the continent have numbers after their name. Think Schalke 04, Munich 1860, Hannover 96 and there are many more. Juventus FC means Youth FC in latin. They haven't been havin' a laugh in a while....

I think South East FC makes sense too as it could potentially attract more fans than say just Carlow Town for example.

John83
13/06/2007, 1:15 PM
I think South East FC makes sense too as it could potentially attract more fans than say just Carlow Town for example.
Yes, yes. I can see it now. 'Dublin City', we'll call it. In five years, it'll be in the Champions' League...

GavinZac
13/06/2007, 1:21 PM
Yes, yes. I can see it now. 'Dublin City', we'll call it. In five years, it'll be in the Champions' League...

Well his name is Rocky

Topman
13/06/2007, 3:06 PM
Its really quite simple.....our club is named after the Region we are from!!! The South East (Carlow, Wexford, Wicklow, Kilkenny region)!!!!!!
As with a lot of leagues around the country they cover more than their county as in the "Carlow and District Junior League".
This is not the GAA and we are not just representing 1 county.
I hope this helps as "Carlow O7" just dosen't do it for me!!!

Thanks guys for showing an interest and best of luck with your clubs during the rest of your season

shelbourne1904
13/06/2007, 3:21 PM
Whats the point if Wexford Youths already in Eircom League??

Louth4sam
13/06/2007, 3:22 PM
Whats the point if Wexford Youths already in Eircom League??

And Kilkenny and Bray.....

Topman
13/06/2007, 3:44 PM
Oh Im Sorry....are we not allowed to play Soccer in the Carlow Region. We can cater for the large growing population in the area with our set up if not we lose them to the DDSL for example or even the Rugby and GAA. Now players in the region will have a choice and this will help everbody raise standards and make Soccer more attractive and competitive. We have a budget of €150,000!!!! in place for the running of our club next season!!!!
http://archives.tcm.ie/carlownationalist/2007/05/30/story31994.asp

Louth4sam
13/06/2007, 3:50 PM
No problem at all setting up a team in Carlow, but you were suggesting that the team would cater for not only Carlow but Kilkenny, Wexford and Wicklow also. There are already EL teams from those counties so would it not be better if the club only focused on the Carlow area?

Topman
13/06/2007, 4:08 PM
Good point, but Bray have a very good set up set the moment and are almost in Dublin and can attract a lot of players from their region so for some areas of Wicklow we would be closer for players

Kilkenny City is the not the most attractive set up at the moment as their Oscar Traynor set up seems to be more orgainised and successful

Wexford like Bray have a very good set up and a lot of players coming through especially after winning the U18s all ireland a few weeks back.

So if there are players from other counties in the region who are interested in our set up well thats great. We want to be as attractive as possible and keep the players playing and training at a very high standard while not having to travel to far.

We wont be in competiton with any of the other EL clubs in the South East as its a very big area with an ever increasing population.

GavinZac
13/06/2007, 4:21 PM
Maybe Cork City could rebrand themselves Munster.

half_full
13/06/2007, 4:33 PM
best of luck anyway its definelty a good idea to set up around an fai centre. I dont see why people have such a problem with a new club, wherever there located.
Will you be joining the A-League next year?

Topman
13/06/2007, 4:49 PM
Half Full thanks for that, our plan will be to be part of the Eircom U20s league when it kicks of in 2008, we will then look at what criteria is then needed for the "A" division as by then we as a club will be more organised and established

4tothefloor
14/06/2007, 12:00 AM
Its really quite simple.....our club is named after the Region we are from!!! The South East (Carlow, Wexford, Wicklow, Kilkenny region)!!!!!!
As with a lot of leagues around the country they cover more than their county as in the "Carlow and District Junior League".
This is not the GAA and we are not just representing 1 county.
I hope this helps as "Carlow O7" just dosen't do it for me!!!

I cannot see potential fans identifying with a 'region' club called South East FC. Football is tribal, a regional club isn't. And in any case, wouldn't someone from Wicklow be supporting Bray, Kilkenny Kilkenny City, and Wexford Wexford Youths? Why would any potential football fan support SE FC over a team based in their own county? I don't see the logic of the name. At the end of the day it looks like ye will be drawing most support from the Carlow area anyway......

half_full
14/06/2007, 9:59 AM
I cannot see potential fans identifying with a 'region' club called South East FC. Football is tribal, a regional club isn't. And in any case, wouldn't someone from Wicklow be supporting Bray, Kilkenny Kilkenny City, and Wexford Wexford Youths? Why would any potential football fan support SE FC over a team based in their own county? I don't see the logic of the name. At the end of the day it looks like ye will be drawing most support from the Carlow area anyway......

I dont support a team in my own county (theres no team there btw). IMO i dont see what counties has to do with this. I'd always support the team closest to me ''as the crow flys''.

half_full
14/06/2007, 10:01 AM
Half Full thanks for that, our plan will be to be part of the Eircom U20s league when it kicks of in 2008, we will then look at what criteria is then needed for the "A" division as by then we as a club will be more organised and established

ah, thanks for that. best of luck:ball:

Rocky
14/06/2007, 12:25 PM

That's why i said potentially!

new blue
14/06/2007, 11:45 PM
I think I'll start my own team and attract players from a five-mile radius!!
Why not if Mick of Locksley and Eileen Aroon can do it. We'll soon have more teams than supporters. The issue in LOI is one of quality and promotion not quantity?

ForzaWexford
14/06/2007, 11:55 PM
There's a good set-up in Bunclody alright, I'll give ye that, but I can't see this taking off in Wexford - Wallace seems to "get" all the youngsters at an early age. I saw in the paper this week he even has 3 of last year's U16's {the players in your target age} on his U21 panel. I presume most of the others will figure with his 18's.

Having said that I wish ye the best of luck, and I'm sure you'll attract plenty of decent players - just maybe not many from the Wexford Schoolboys League.

Ceirtlis
14/06/2007, 11:58 PM
Best of luck with the new club Topman. As you said the south east has a big population - 500000? - and if the aim is to provide good facilities and coaching for local youngsters so as to save them going to Dublin there is plenty of room for a club like yours in the A league.

DmanDmythDledge
15/06/2007, 12:00 AM
I think I'll start my own team and attract players from a five-mile radius!!
Why not if Mick of Locksley and Eileen Aroon can do it. We'll soon have more teams than supporters. The issue in LOI is one of quality and promotion not quantity?
People complain that there's too many Dublin teams, yet still complain when new teams form outside Dublin.

On the your point about promotion that's exactly what the new team would be doing, promoting the eircom League in the Carlow area.

Lim till i die
15/06/2007, 12:09 AM
Jsus the Wexford boys are getting ratty :D

In South East F.C culd ye have found a rival worthy of your lowly stature?? :)

4tothefloor
15/06/2007, 1:10 AM
I dont support a team in my own county (theres no team there btw). IMO i dont see what counties has to do with this. I'd always support the team closest to me ''as the crow flys''.

What are u on about then? I'm talking about fans where there is already a team in their county :rolleyes: i.e. the majority of the South East already being covered..... Your county has no team, which is a different arguement altogether.

new blue
17/06/2007, 12:48 AM
Jsus the Wexford boys are getting ratty :D

In South East F.C culd ye have found a rival worthy of your lowly stature?? :)

I could have sworn we drew with Limerick since 37 twice in our first three months. Welcome to the club!

Lim till i die
17/06/2007, 1:43 PM
I could have sworn we drew with Limerick since 37 twice in our first three months. Welcome to the club!

It was just a bit of pre cup tie banter

You know the type of rubbish that invariably comes back and bites you in the arse :p

Kinda like you saying on the Limerick forum that ye are going for promotion :eek::D

superfrank
18/06/2007, 11:44 AM
The south-east region already has 4 el clubs: Bray, Wexford, Kilkenny and Waterford. I wouldn't mind having another. Why not? The population in Wicklow is growing rapidly. I don't know about the other counties.

At leats there are some ambitious people out there willing to take the risk and start up a new club. The whole
A League will offer a berth for potential clubs and yet a lot of people here seem to be against any new clubs forming. Fair play to them for aspiring to that.

I'd imagine they could easily get some fans from the south-west Wicklow area as it's pretty much cut off from the rest of the county.

bellavistaman
18/06/2007, 2:51 PM
i think l37 is actually quite a clever name. Agreed South East Fc is slightly daft.

sullanefc
18/06/2007, 2:55 PM
i think l37 is actually quite a clever name. Agreed South East Fc is slightly daft.

It is kind of daft. Maybe South Leinster would be a better name. But welcome to them none the less.:ball:

pineapple stu
18/06/2007, 5:32 PM
Bray is no more south east than Dublin is.

monkey magic
18/06/2007, 10:37 PM

finally someone said it! thought i was going mad... on the name, any club has to garner for itself some sort of identity, almost invariably based on its location or heritage, calling a club "south east fc" makes this immediately difficult as you could be talking about anywhere - with a name like that they could be from the south east of donegal for christ sake! even south leinster fc as someone mentioned would be a better option, but if you want my opinion a new club like this needs to get off the fence and try to tie itself into a more specific area or locality, be that north wexford fc, carlow united or wicklow county fc give the potential fans and indeed players something to identify with.

Jerry The Saint
19/06/2007, 3:31 PM
I quite like the name.

If the Genesis report was followed up we could have a merger of the Louth Clubs to form North East FC. Then there would be a great opportunity for Shelbourne to recover from their difficulties by rebranding themselves Middle East FC.

superfrank
19/06/2007, 4:44 PM
Yeah it is. It's to the south of the county and Bray head sticks out further east than Dublin Bay. :p

GavinZac
19/06/2007, 11:30 PM
I quite like the name.

If the Genesis report was followed up we could have a merger of the Louth Clubs to form North East FC. Then there would be a great opportunity for Shelbourne to recover from their difficulties by rebranding themselves Middle East FC.

Following that, Derry would be North North FC, galway sligo and harps can merge to be West West West F.C., Athlone can be Dead Centre FC, and Drogheda can be Back-Arse-of-Nowhere FC.

Cork will remain Cork since nobody needs a reference point to understand where it is. Its in Cork, like.

pineapple stu
20/06/2007, 6:26 PM
Where?

Is that that place sorth of Dublin?

Schumi
20/06/2007, 7:26 PM
Is that that place sorth of Dublin?Is that South and North?

John83
20/06/2007, 7:31 PM
Is that South and North?
Yeah, so East or West, depending on your bias.

That's right Cork fans, we're all biased!

The Man Himself
20/06/2007, 9:22 PM
And Kilkenny and Bray.....

and waterford united:rolleyes:

The Man Himself
20/06/2007, 9:28 PM

bray is more like co dublin:eek:

Bluebeard
21/06/2007, 7:45 AM
Following that, Derry would be North North FC, galway sligo and harps can merge to be West West West F.C., Athlone can be Dead Centre FC, and Drogheda can be Back-Arse-of-Nowhere FC.

Surely wouldn't that be North By North West?

I'd heard Drogs were going to Meath, but I didn't expect them to go to Cork.

Risteard
21/06/2007, 11:29 AM
Nah, no takers there Bluebeard.

Bluebeard
21/06/2007, 12:36 PM
Nah, no takers there Bluebeard.
:(
I'll try again somewhere else later so.